X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

Just double click the koverg patch archive it should then unzip automatically creating a folder. Work on the desktop. Then when you open the terminal and login as superuser type cd then drag the folder to the terminal window the path will show up then just enter and you're in the right place.

Combo SSE3 Update is not working here:

JaS 10.4.7 with Koverg's patch for QE/CI. : working Good.

Clean H.D.D and reinstall JaS 10.4.7 : working Good.

-> 10.4.8 SSE3 Combo update: Good.

-> Reboot O.K.

After reboot:

- Replace ATIRadeon9700.Kext that pached by Koverg's pach for QE/CI.

- remove kextcache and mkext File.

- kextcache to /System/Library/Extensions/

Manually reboot as normal: Black screen with Mouse cursor.

- (powered off / on)

Manually reboot into safe mode (-v -f -x):

Booting is O.K. But, no QE/CI.

Repaired Disk Permissions.

Reboot Again into Normal mode (-v):

Black Screen with Mouse Cursor.

I think this is related with Koverg's patch or QE/CI.

Any Ideas?

P4 2.6 SSE3; 512MB RAM; Intel 945P Board; ATIRadeon X550

Update: the patch does not seem to work for the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. I am now browsing through this post as to how to restore to the pre-patch state as the OS can only boot via safe mode. Also, I was not successful in changing resolution from the current 1280 to 1440x900. Any help would gladly be appreciated.

This did not work for my ATI x700 Pro 256mb (5E4B) also. It hangs after reboot with the mouse pointer shown but in console mode. Anyone know how I can login in some sort of safemode like Windows so I can repair it without a full reinstall?

Edit: Nevermind.. I found out I can boot up still with -x and fix everything.

I've experienced the same thing. I want to restore to a state before the Koverg patch that did not work. So what do you do once you're in the OS through the -x boot? Do you do a repair via Disk Utility?

Hey... I get the same problem with my sapphire x800gto (dev id = 5D4F)... I get the "display: family specific matching fails" and then a complete freeze at "login window application started" if I apply koverg's patch. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The first few times I did re-install OSX but then I found out you just had to type in the -x parameter and then when loaded into OSX "unpatch" the files that were fixed. One thing that I was able to figure out is how to change the resolution to 1280x1024x32... which is what I wanted. But if anyone knows how to get Koverg's patch working for an x800gto... PLEASE LET ME KNOW... I desperately would like to get QE and CI working!!!

Thanks

Luke D.

How did you "unpatch"?

Hi.

I´m using the X700 (0x5e4b1002). I understood that even koverg were testing/developed this whole driver based on this card. But still I just can´t get it work. I´ve read through this whole topic, but gotten no smarter :/ I´m an average Mac/Linux user, knows most of the basics, and I´m positive that I did everything right according to the readme. I´m also running JaS OSX 10.4.7 Maybe I should just start over again, but anyway, any help would be just great :D I´ve also need to find a new ATIRadeon9700.kext-file now, that´s not been pushed around so much yet. Anyone who know where I could get it?

I hate to sound like a n00b. And every time I make one of myself, I´ve of course ALLWAYS been blind of something THAT obvious! Typical! :P

Thanks you guys, and thank you koverg who´s one of very few problem solvers and good society creators :)

sapphire x700 pci express .. 256mb ..

tried everything .. unable to make it work other than standard 1024x768

nearest i've got is the blank screen with a mouse cursor ..

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5e4d

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Hello I hope someone can point me in the right direction...my graphics card is the

Diamond Stealth® ATI Radeon® X300SE PCI Express 256MB Graphics Card

System info reads it as

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Slot: PCIE X16 SLOT

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x5b60

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Im running version 10.4.8

Build 8L2127

Processor is Pentium D930

Mobo is Intel 945 GTP w/Onboard graphics w/2 gigs of onboard ram

When I use the graphics card its a bit sluggish, no resolution options in the control panel, and there is a bit of mouse tearing. Im hoping that I can use something by koverg and callisto but I just want to be sure. I will install osx to another hd and attempt to fix this issue. I just need a nudge in the proper direction. Anyone with helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Koverg patch didnt work on me at all....... I ran Castillo b008 and it work perfectly, though it detected my X300 PCIe card as a M300.....

running os x86 10.4.3 natively on my IBM Thinkpad T43.... the device ID for the X300 is 5460.... i did the manual modification of all the ATI plist, and i ran the patch, and yet nothing works.....

was really hoping QE and CI would work, so i can play WC3 with my frens on my Hackintosh and show it off to those Windows bastards.... :P

any ideas on how to help?

EDIT: Everything works now.... realised that people are missing out on one very very very VERY important part in the installation guide for Callisto's patch

We have to edit the info.plist in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and replace one of the keys from using the conventional IOFrameBuffer to CallistoFB..... I'm sure this would help to solve quite a few of our people's problems....

I've tested OpenGL using Quake2 (i know, its bloody old... but hey, i like that game) and it lags occasionally.... still very playable.... maybe like 10min of play, then it slows down for 2 or 3 min, then smooth again permanently... maybe something wrong with my power settings.... will have to check again....

NOTE: I am suffering from some artifacts due to this, but it is definitely bearable... a simple move of window or highlighting of text can solve the artifacts.....

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a newby question but how do you extract the archieve in terminal. The second step in the read me instructions. Thanks for your help.

1. Extract the archive.

2. sudo ./patch9700.sh HI LO (where HI is the high byte in hex of your device id and LO is the low byte, e.g.: ./patch9700.sh 5e 4b if your device id is 0x5e4b) <---How do you do this?

I have a soluton for those who entered device id into Info.plist, and than OS booting but blank screen.

I had to patch the ATIRadeon9700 binary image, because there was a check in the code for specific device ids.

So it is not enough to put device id into the Info.plist we also need slight mod to the driver code.

Screenshots

**** EDIT ****

I have summarized the reports here for those who do not want to read the whole thread.

The patch is here: http://www.load.to/?d=Ji8ppJBezM

Alternate location: http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=91429

The patch is for enabling QE and CI (and of course OpenGL) on ATI PCIe cards.

It works on 10.4.3 - 10.4.6.

Some mouse artifacts may appear, Mousepose fixes this problem. I did not try it yet.

It is not confirmed but i strongly beleave it will work only for PCIe cards.

The screen resolution and the refresh rate will not be selectable with this patch. (Use the good old method...)

Do not use VMWARE to determine device id. If you are under Windows use ATITool to get correct device id (always use the first device if you have dual display adapter)

The working cards (plese send device id if possible!!!)

+5b63 Sappire Radeon x550

+5e4b AsusEAX700 Pro 256mb / and of cource my MSI X700 Pro 128MB

+???? x800gt

+???? x300 mobility

+???? x700 mobility

+5653 x700 mobility

+???? GigabyteX800XL ViVo

+???? x740

+5460ATI Radeon x300 Mobility

+3150 ATI mobility Radeon x600

+???? X300 on Thinkpad T43

+???? ATI Radeon x800

+554f ATI X800 PCIe 128M

+554b ATI X800GT

The non working cards:

-5A62 ATI x200 integrated graphics (no R300 chipset)

-5d52 x850xt

-5d52 ???

-5E4B X740 (this sould work, please retry)

-5a61 x200 (reported by gregknac, thanks!)

Cheers!

Features people miss:

- resolution change

- secondary VGA output

- refresh rate change

- mouse artifact

Hi Koverg,

I tried the above procedures but never had success. I have JaS 10.4.6 and Sapphire X700 PCIe ATI graphics iI just need to make a selectable screen resolution and QE/CI support.

Can you please help me?

thanks,

royemaun

My x700 se worked with a combination of callisto_b005 and koverg's patch.

Follow the instructions omni provides and everything should be ok for callisto.

Upon reading your message in the forum, you gave me hope when you said

your ATI X700 se PCIe is working. How did you patch, could you pls bro help with

my X700se. I've tried patching it, it hang-up on Mac os startup screen. Your help is highly appriciated bro.

My x700 se worked with a combination of callisto_b005 and koverg's patch.

Follow the instructions omni provides and everything should be ok for callisto.

where can i find the link to callisto_b005 and koverg patch? and what's the 'omni' instruction you've mentioned is there a link to it? please help...thanks bro!

Hey everybody, i've an T42 with a ATI Radeon Mobility 9600. The vendor id is 0x1200 and my device id 0x4E50. So when changing this in the clean installed ATIRadeon9700.kext->Contents->Info.plist and changing the res. to 1400x1050x32 in the com.apple.Boot.plist i get a kernel panic while rebooting with the text that no driver for the ACPI platform could be found. Anyone ideas? When not changing the vendor&device id i get ugly noisy windows when moving over the screen.

OSX86 10.4.3

AMD Athlon64 Socket 939

Northbridge RS482

Southbridge SB400

Chipset Model: Radeon X700 PRO (PCIE)

Type: Display

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x5e4b

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Not Supported

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I installed Callisto from omni by following the directions provied which got me a selctable resoultion. Then I installed the Koverg patch.

The first time I installed it, I didnt do the ATIRadeon9700GA change to teh callisto frame buffer, which cause the os to lock up on boot up.

The second time, (callisto still installed the same), I edited teh ATIRadeon9700GA file. Which *woo hoo* it booted this time. but the patch seemingly did nothing, no CI or QE support listed.

Since many have said that the X700 should work just fine, just curious if anyone has any ideas on what I may have done wrong???

Omni kindly provides all the info necessary in his release the link to it is

http://omni.starchaser.org/callisto/

for koverg see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=10415&hl=

Thank bro for the link, one last question, what Mac os version you've used when you tested your X700se? mine is version 10.4.7, hope their no problem with the version. Tnx again bro, God Speed.

Hi guy,

I'm new here and I have just a little question. I am running OSX 10.4.8 but my screen resolution can't be changed and it is stock at 1024 X 786. Will this patch allow me to change my screen resolution??

I have an Ati X550 and after reading the 39 pages I saw 3 posts confirming that Ati X550 works... Fortunately my Ati is working since I installed OSX but the resolution is killing me :P

Can any member help me clearing up those certain questions??

Thanks in advanced for any help...

Cheers

Yoni

Thank bro for the link, one last question, what Mac os version you've used when you tested your X700se? mine is version 10.4.7, hope their no problem with the version. Tnx again bro, God Speed.

10.4.4 through 10.4.8 no difference in any version

@Yoni Yoni if you install callisto then you should be able to change resolution

Ok I have an intersting problem occuring now.

I installed callisto008 as indicated in the instructions

Now I am able to change resolution.

I then installed koverg, as per instructions, and edited Radeon9700GA to CallistioFB

which causes the machine to boot up, gets to the boot screen (apple with rotating symbol)

the instead of going to desktop the top haalf is liek 3 or 4 jacked up bootscreen images, and the bottom half is black. ANy ideas?