X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

well, i install koverg patch and callisto patch and changed the NDRVFrameBuffer for CallistoFB in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin. This is the result

With CallistoFB in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin the screen goes dark with only mouse pointer and in the syslog is this:

Jul 20 16:49:40 tebi /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started
Jul 20 16:49:40 tebi kernel[0]: display: Not usable
Jul 20 16:49:40 tebi lookupd[89]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Thu Jul 20 16:49:40 2006
Jul 20 16:49:41 tebi loginwindow[88]: Login Window Started Security Agent
Jul 20 16:49:42 tebi launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[89]: exited abnormally: Hangup
Jul 20 16:49:42 tebi configd[57]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/enable-network
Jul 20 16:49:42 tebi configd[57]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/enable-network
Jul 20 16:49:42 tebi configd[57]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Jul 20 16:49:42 tebi lookupd[108]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Thu Jul 20 16:49:42 2006

With NDRVFrameBuffer in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin osx starts normally but no QE/CI support and i can change resolution thanks to callisto patch and the syslog says the same as above

In the syslog a notice a "display not usable", it has to be something with the CRT or DFP monitor? callisto talk about this in the installation file, but how do i now if my monitor is CRT or DFP?

Thanks in advance

PS: btw my card is an ATI Radeon 9600SE 128mb id:4151 and OSX 10.4.6

It's not real hard to tell the difference between a CRT and an LCD. Functionally, it's about like telling the difference between an incandescent light bulb and a flourescent light bulb.

A CRT (short for Cathode Ray Tube) is a device dating back to the 1940's, and is comprised of an electron gun as well as a couple of magnetic deflectors to divert the electrons horizontally and vertically. These electrons then hit a surface and the energy required to move the electrons is then translated into light. A CRT which is attached to a computer normally connects thru a 15-pin D-Subminiature connector (a small connector with three rows of five pins, some of which may not be present), commonly referred to as a VGA connector. This connection is analog, which means that it can be distorted by other nearby power sources.

The best way to describe a CRT is it's huge, bulky, heavy, uses a lot of electricity, and is overall a pain in the a** to deal with.

A DFP (short for Digital Flat Panel), also referred to as an LCD display, is a relatively recent device which comprises of a LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) wired in a TFT Matrix, with a backlight behind it. Each dot on the screen is produced by three separate parts - one for red, green, and blue, meaning on a 3-color 1024x768 screen, there are 2.3 million chances for the screen to fail. Because of the probability of a dot (also known as a pixel) failing, manufacturers will normally not offer replacements until there are over five "dead pixels" (aka 0.0002%) on the screen which have failed. Partially dependent on the price of the DFP is the connector. If it connects to a computer thru the VGA connector, it is receiving an analog connection from the computer and then converting it to work on the digital display. If it employs a DVI connector (which is a connector which contains 4 pins in a "square" alignment, along with 3 rows of 8 pins), the signal being sent to the monitor is digital, which increases the quality of the image shown.

The best way to describe a DFP is it's thin, lightweight, doesn't use a whole lot of electicity, and is sensitive to people pushing on the front surface. If I ever see you touch an LCD screen, I will cut the offending fingers off as a warning to not do it again.

Now that I've gone on a rant, this thread might help you overcome your QE/CI problems.

thanks for the reply

i've already do all that, with no luck with QE/CI. Right now i'm trying to get the ATIRadeon9700.kext from 10.4.3, because i read that some people could this make to work with older .kexts.

If someone has this kext (version 10.4.3, 10.4.4 or 10.4.5), please send it to rpm@dwec.com.ar. I'm running 10.4.6.

Hello,

I have the 10.4.4 version, and a Mobility Radeon X700. I have installed correctly the patch, i've also activated (theorectly) the QE. I have changed the com.apple.Boot.plist to get 1280x800... but I, for some reasons it ignores this command.

Does someone know how to get 1280x800 by other means?

Everything else is working perfectly.

Thanks

PEdro

Hello,

I have the 10.4.4 version, and a Mobility Radeon X700. I have installed correctly the patch, i've also activated (theorectly) the QE. I have changed the com.apple.Boot.plist to get 1280x800... but I, for some reasons it ignores this command.

Does someone know how to get 1280x800 by other means?

Everything else is working perfectly.

Thanks

PEdro

As far as I can see no one has been able to get 1280x800 working on the mobility x700's. I've seen a few using callisto for other cards. On a lot of the x700 mobility's callisto seems to set the refresh rate out of the screens range, making the screen roll and flicker :(.

Using these drivers I can get my res to 1280x1024 using my TFT monitor but other than that it's 1024x768. You could give callisto a go tho I guess.

I made a new topic in the Install Forum yesterday (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22431), but I narrowed it down to a problem with Koverg's patch on my X800GTO PCIe (0x554f). Without repeating everything here, the problem is that the system will freeze or crash (panic) about 10-15 minutes into using the system. There are no error messages in logs before this occurs other than some kexts not loading. Interestingly, one of the kexts it's trying to load is GeForce.kext (along with another NVidia kext) even though my card is an ATI.

Any help to solve (or at least debug) this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ibu

i cant get it to work with a sapp x550/128 PCIe under goatsecx, but, in myzar works well under 1280x1024@32b is there a catch? it dont work for me either on jas version. only on myzar.

im in Chile, all the way across the world

has anyone getting the x700(0x5653) to work properly? CI/QE/Resolutionchange and all the stuff??

i have a samsung r50 with XVGA and the ATI X700 Mobility with ID 5653

i would really appreciate if this stuff would work properly....

i love you so much guys for your hard work. Thanks a lot people! this is amazing! (everthing works fine, (except the x700))

has anyone getting the x700(0x5653) to work properly? CI/QE/Resolutionchange and all the stuff??

i have a samsung r50 with XVGA and the ATI X700 Mobility with ID 5653

i would really appreciate if this stuff would work properly....

i love you so much guys for your hard work. Thanks a lot people! this is amazing! (everthing works fine, (except the x700))

Ok, so I got x700(0x5653) with CI/QE working properly except for the resolution change.

I've use callisto's drivers (tried all from 003fixed to 006 (008 didn't work)), and the koverg patch, que the framebuffer redirecting. You can find it all here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...p;mode=threaded

With this everything works fine (I can play all videos and dvd'd), it says QE and CI are activated, and I can even change the resolutions to the values I wanted... But when I do this, the screen goes crazy with horizontal lines. If this happens to you (you can still see the screen though) just get back to 1024x768 and reboot.

Now, I have read so many testimonies so far that I can tell if this solution will work for you. i.e. Many people is reporting total success with this (even successfully resolution change).

It seems to be 3 cases:

1- Nothing Works

2- Everything Works

3- Everything works but when changing resolution horizontal lines appear and:

a) When you get back to 1024x768 the lines stay and you have to reboot

:P When you get back to 1024x768 the lines dissapear and you can now go back to 1280x800 with success.

I am in 3 a) case, but you can be a 3 B). If so there are solutions to script the resolution change at startup like cscreen.dmg or so.

I feel I am very close... and yet so far... (expecially since callisto disapearance).

I don't know what to say about Callisto's b008. It seems to boot automatically in 1280x800 but then it never boots and the screen goes horizontal lines (even in verbose). Sometimes it stops and gives me hope... Oh well...

Hope I helped you... Hope someone can help me.

Pedro

Hi,

I´ve a Samsung X50 Notebook with integrated X700 Mobility 128Mb (ID 5652).

Had somebody get luck with this Patch. I tried it with the KEXT from 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. I use the hackintosh Build 10.4.6 (Intel).

I´ve posted my problem also in the Hardware Forum, but no one could help me :blink:

Ragards

Habib

Hello again,

I've honnestly come to think, that the differences between working and not completely working x700 mobility (horizontal lines) it is somehow related with the variaty of laptop's monitors. Some models (like mine) are just detected by all kind of software as "default or unkown monitor" and this results in an incapacity to read EDID values. This is also true to Callisto's drivers. Although the 1280x800 seems to work, the sync values of monitor aren't quite adequeate for the display in matter. This means: Horizontal lines...

Again... Waiting for a solution... I'm just the differential diagnostics guy..

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

With this everything works fine (I can play all videos and dvd'd), it says QE and CI are activated, and I can even change the resolutions to the values I wanted... But when I do this, the screen goes crazy with horizontal lines. If this happens to you (you can still see the screen though) just get back to 1024x768 and reboot.

I´ve the same issue. Have you an solution for that found?

I could run only in 1024x768 without "horizontal lines", all other resolutions didn´t works :)

My configuration:

Ati x700 Mobility PCIE (ID 5652)

TFT: 15,4" 1680x1050

Callisto b006

ATIRadeon9700.kext (10.4.5 manually patched)

Mac OS X 10.4.7

Regards

Habib

I actually have a Mac OS 10.4.7 installed on my Acer Aspire 1690 Computer (ATI x700 - 0x5653). I have tried for 2 days all the methods presented here but nothing work correctly ?!

I have installed the Callisto b006 driver :

=> I can see the optimal resolution after next reboot : 1280x800 but when changing resolution horizontal lines appear and ?!

=> I have installed the koverg patch on a 10.4.5 kext but it seems not

to be OK, because after reboot i take bloody fashion color square like

everybody a few post ago.

So i just like to now the configuration of people for who the x700 is

working in the desired resolution ?!

Do you have a 10.4.5 / 10.4.6 / 10.4.7 version of MacOS ?

Which ATIRadeon9700.kext are you using ?

Thanks in advance,

BreiZH

I´ve try many (or all?) combinations of Callisto (003-008) with koverg patch, or manual and ONE TIME I get CI/QE working and 1024x768 default resolution but with the option to get hotizontal Lines with Callisto b006.

In this situation I though, that I could test the Callisto b008 (Only changed the both Callisto Files and delete the kext cache) but since that try, I never could get the same Installation to work again.

I´m going crazy here, cause I don´t understand the matter for that?

In windows if I try anything, and get a situation, I could gone everytime go back to the state, but in hackintosh I couldn´t :blink:

My combination in this case was:

Mac OS 10.4.7, First koverg patch on ATIRadeon97000.kext from 10.4.6 (!). After I get CI/QE working I´ve tried first the stable Callisto b003, Reboot... works. Then I tried to change Callisto b006, works too, but get in higher resolutions everytime the horizontal lines :( then my last try to go to Callisto b008. Since that I´ve never seen back a working combination. The Callisto 008 makes, that I get an dark grey screen but only half high filled with diagonal lines....

(Sorry for my english)

I didn´t understand the system behind that. Today I tried it again with the kext from 10.4.4 (found earlier in this Thread) but with the same result.

My OS: Mac OS 10.4.7 (10.4.6 updated wit Jas 10.4.6->10.4.7)

ATIRadeon9700.kext from 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.6, 10.4.7 (extracted from org. Intel Update DMG)

Habib

Well, well, well...

First things first. I have a 10.4.7 which I have updated from 10.4.4. I have kept (as you should) all the extensions from 10.4.4 (I think 10.4.5 are ok too). So what I did was installing the intel10.4.7comboupdate and replacing the backup of the Extensions folder I did from the 10.4.4.

Then I installed the callisto 003-006 (all worked), I changed ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin IOProviderClass line from IONDRVFramebuffer to CallistoFB and finally applied the koverg patch. With this you should get QE/CI Enabled with great accelaration (you can test the speed of screensavers... and check the About this mac).

The problem is, of corse, I just can manage the 1024x768 resolution.

The Architect: I haven't heard the problem of the fashion color squares in a while... Try the Problems after Koverg patch forum (I bet you already did) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=16246.

Habib... did you lose your installation because of 008? Try " -s " option at startup, then write " mount -uw / " then go to " /System/Library/Extensions" and delete CallistoHAL.kext and Callisto.kext ( or just rm callisto* ), then copy the 006 callisto files, give the correct permitions like this " chown -R root:whell Callisto* " and " chmod -R 755 Callisto* " now remove /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, you can also remove /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist ... well this should do it...

If you didn't need this... I am sorry for just being boring.

And finaly and want to AVE and congratulate hay11... That is absolutely beatiful... That is the vision we all want to have... So... How on earth did you do it? (You know we would ask don't you Mr. Look at this...). Anyway if you can pull us out, we will love for the rest of our lifes... (Ok at least for a couple of hours)...

Thanks to you all

Pedro

Hey, hay11 I've noticed that your screenshot reports a PCI Bus... Mine correctly displays a PCIe ... Do you have any ideia why?

Thanks

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

thx for your advice, but I don´t loose my whole installation, only the working combination of Callisto and QE/CI and didn´t get it back.

In theoretical it´s doesn´t seems very difficulty, but in real, it is very confusing.

Thx

Habib

Informations on what work for me :

I have reinstalled Mac OS 10.4.6 (JAS version) on my computer (ACER Aspire 1690). No QE/CI by default after installation.

1. I have replace the system files (OpenGL / ATIRadeon9700) from the 10.4.6 version with the 10.4.4 ones (found in the forum). After that i have applied the Koverg patch providing at the next reboot the harware acceleration QE/CI.

2. My screen is 1280x800 capable, but the mac system only offers me 1024x768. So i have decided to intall Caalisto. The version 008 produce a system crach on reboot so i use the 006 version (with QE/CI enable see the caalisto faq).

3. Now i can choose the screen resolution i want but when i change it, horizontal lines appears. This means that the screen refresh parameters are wrong but when i look for them under windows (with proposed tool from this forum) i can't glad any information.

So do someone have the same problem ? Do an upgrade in 10.4.7 mac version will produce a better version ?

If someone have an idea, it will be very friendly !

Thanks.

I have forgotten : i have a ATI Mobility x700 (0x5653) with 128Mo of VRam

Hi All,

I have an Sapphire ATI RADEON x800GTO2 card, trying to get QE/CI enabled using koverg's 0.2 Patch. I followed the instructions in the README file, but when I reboot everything is exactly the same. QE/CI not enabled. I followed the instructions exactly and I got my device ID (554D) from ATITool.

I'm using the 10.4.6 Goatsecx version, I have an SSE3 Processor (AMD Opteron 148).

However, I'm editing the kexts from the install as I do not have any older ones if that makes a difference (sorry new to this whole thing).

Thanks in Advance.