Maxxuss Patches for 10.4.5 released

a8ne

162 posts in this topic

10.4.5 installed and work. the only bad gui experience i have is that the mouse artifacts ot worse. it wasn't that noticable before using Firefox, but now, it's getting annoying. I imaging Safari would be worse with the mouse thing.

I removed the instructions for updating from under 10.4.4. It did not work. I will have to figure out, what's the cause here.

Hey Maxxuss, just to let you know, using your 10.4.4 instructions as a starting point, I was able to upgrade to 10.4.5. Here is what happened:

The big problem for me was my computer locked up after installing the apple patch (while, during, but after it had actually done the patching). I rebooted, and since I hadn't been able to change the kernel, it didn't work. I booted up with a 10.4.3 DVD, mounted my HD, and was able to replace the kernel as well as the extensions. The script you made available did not work while booted with the DVD (because things like grep are not usable when booting on the DVD), so I wasn't able to do everything. HOWEVER, I was able to do enough that when rebooting I was able to boot into single user mode of 10.4.5. At that point, I ran the script, as well as chmod, chown, kextcache. Now it's working (more or less - wifi is gone, but I'll take care of that).

So, don't quit!, it is possible to do it sort of. Though I still needed a 10.4.3 boot disc, but I thinkany boot disc would have worked. In fact, now that I think about it, I had used one of my knoppix discs, it may have been even easier... (Can knoppix load HFS?) Anyway, thanks for all you're doing.

to dijn.

I added

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

but still resolution is locked at 1024x768!

I have a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900: Chipset Model GMA 900 in the D915GUX motherboard.

which is your graphics adapter?

There is no problem with the way you described it o the tut. I think the problem is when people use the terminal to try to copy files from one drive to the other. People simply get lost and can't find a map of how commands work. I managed to get mine working because I had Tiger installed on a seperate hdd. It was much faster than working in vmware.

Even though you made a backup copy of your mach_kernel, make certain you also copy the mach_kernel.all to your target drive.

Maxxus, I don't think many people really appreciate what you're doing here.. Like it doesn't take time and energy to do this stuff I just want to say thankyou. You have inspired me to learn how to code for a mac. I've stayed away before from applescript etc. But you've started a whole revolution almost like when linux first came out people hackin' it trying to make it work on their systems allthough that revolution being mostly legal :( thanks again keep up the good work.

Thanks maxxuss. the upgrade went perfectly, only needed to add "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" to the Kernel Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist. I've got the "odd" CPU report, my 3ghz P4 went to a 4ghz P4. The minimize effect seems to be choppier than on 10.4.4, may just be because its a first boot.

I'm not ready for 4.5,

I need some help with 4.4 because I'm not too familar with Java and hitting a snag.

Do I replace it with all of this including those three dots:

<script>function hwbeModelCheck() {

return true;

or just this:

<script>function hwbeModelCheck() {

return true;

and how much of the original do i delete? do I delete everything before the next set of script tags or to the very last semicolon that comes before the next set of <>? Or much less?

Thanks

David -.-

Why is everyone ignoring posts? I ask myself seriously what you guys read and what informations you are filtering.

I just wanted to know, if the mach_kernel from the new patch is the same as in the 10.4.4 patch.

See post #7 for my question.

Seriously man! Same thing happened to me several times! Somebody need to organize this !$@& ASAP and freakin clear things up! I got 10.4.4 working and now I cant even find the instructions/patch for 10.4.5. WTF is going on! :(

Why is everyone ignoring posts? I ask myself seriously what you guys read and what informations you are filtering.

I just wanted to know, if the mach_kernel from the new patch is the same as in the 10.4.4 patch.

Your question was answered even before you posted it. Please read the tutorial under "content" closely.

Yes, mach_kernel is the same. It's 8.4.1 from 10.4.4.

The 10.4.5 update installs kernel version 8.5.1, but it does not work on non-Mac hardware (see issues described in my blog). Until the dropped code from prior-8.5.1 is patched back into mach_kernel 8.5.1, it's the best solution to stick to 8.4.1. However, this takes some time.

I can't do any work from 10.4.3, because it's only installed on a vmware image. And if i boot into vmware, even if the physical disc with 10.4.4 is loaded as a slave hdd, it seems to screw up the HFS+ partitioning on 10.4.4 and renders it useless. It keeps giving an "invalid sibling link" error. Blah.

I don't know why it does this. I can install any OS X build from VMware to a physical disc, but if i ever boot into that disc from VMware afterwards, it messes things up.

I guess I'll do a straight update from within 10.4.4, then use MacDrive within XP to do all the patching that I need to do. Hope this works... I really don't wanna mess up 10.4.4. I just got iLife reinstalled.