Maxxuss Patches for 10.4.5 released

a8ne

162 posts in this topic

Phew, that was a close one :D

As I removed my 10.4.3 partition yesterday after installing 10.4.4 I went for the "direct 10.4.4" update following Maxxuss' instructions:

First problem encountered:

hdiutil attach is not able to mount the 10.4.5 dmg: it's timing out telling me that the driver is missing (I even tried to remove the hdiutil preferences plist but no go).

So I decided to copy the PKG file inside the DMG to my desktop so I didn't have to use hdiutil for this.

Second problem:

Running installer -verbose ...

Everything in the installation went fine until the installer started to "optimize my disk performance": it stalled at exactly 50% :( I waited for about 20 minutes but again: no go!

Of course: when restarting my laptop: no more 10.4.4!!!

So I booted from the (patched) 10.4.4 Installer DVD and did a "mount_hfs" of /dev/disk0s3 (my corrupted 10.4.4 or should we say 10.4.5 volume?) and ran a "fsck -fy" on that volume: luckily enough the HFS was still intact! Did a "mount -uw" to mount it writable.

After this I continued with Maxxuss' instructions by altering the scripts to point to my mounted 10.4.4 partition and to include a copy of IONetworkFamily.kext (I'm using a RealTek 8139) from the backed up Extensions folder to the 10.4.5's Extensions folder.

After a reboot and a Repair Disk Permissions I'm now a happy 10.4.5 user :)

FYI: as I was having the hdiutil attach problems and read about people not being able to mount a DMG anymore I just tested this on 10.4.5 and it's working fine for me.

For those having problems with mounting DMGs: did you already try to delete the hdiutil preferences plist found in your account's Library/Preferences folder?

Take care,

Tek_No

i've the same problem as you had, then i followed your instructions and finally get 10.4.5 up & running. :D

Ok for those like me who sort of have CI and QE "half functional" (ex: flipping widgets doesn't work, widget ripple effects work though):

Do not try fast user switching. It locks up and your system will pretty much idle at your screen and there will be nothing you can do but kill the power to the system.

It might not be a half bad idea to disable QE and CI for the time being. Another idea is to get the old Radeon9700 kext from 10.4.4. Maybe the 10.4.4 kernel just cant work properly with the 10.4.5 graphics kexts (just an idea.)

10.4.6 is going to have a MASSIVE graphics overhaul. I hope Maxxuss takes his time with that and finds a way to get the resolution manager kext to work without looking for a card bios.

When I turn my PC on to boot OSX I always get the login window and I have to enter my pw to get logged in. I did put checkmark in the login options to automatically log in but I cannot get it to log in automatically. Anyone else having this problem? This problem didn't happen with 10.4.4 but only on 10.4.5, if anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it please let me know.. :P

I really think the writers of this site should watch what they say. They don't need to add insult to injury in there comments regarding apple. After all, Apple could just be a big white mob front :P . I love OSX and all the people who make it happen (including the Original BSD developers). Its kinda sad that Apple was the first company to implant their systems with the Evil TPM chip. I'm sure there is some reason I'm not allowed to give apple a bag of money for OSX. Whatever the reason, I dont like it. Hack the M^tha*$#@'n Planet!

And why the hell can't I pull my tracks off this damn IPOD!

Ok just replaced the 10.4.5 Radeon 9700 kext with the one from 10.4.4. It did absolutely nothing, aside from slow down my system speed substantially. The source of CI and QE's strange behavior lies in somewhere else. I have a feeling once Maxxuss patches the 10.4.5 (or 10.4.6 if it comes out) kernel to get rid of those weird power management things, everything will run smoothly again.

At least we now know the kext for ATi themselves are constantly being improved and haven't retrogressed to take away features.

Ok just replaced the 10.4.5 Radeon 9700 kext with the one from 10.4.4. It did absolutely nothing, aside from slow down my system speed substantially. The source of CI and QE's strange behavior lies in somewhere else. I have a feeling once Maxxuss patches the 10.4.5 (or 10.4.6 if it comes out) kernel to get rid of those weird power management things, everything will run smoothly again.

At least we now know the kext for ATi themselves are constantly being improved and haven't retrogressed to take away features.

I just ran some benchmarks myself. Replacing the Intel 915 kexts with the ones from 10.4.4 slow my system back down to pre 10.4.5 speeds. So it does appear that Apple has made some enhancements to the graphics drivers in 10.4.5. Hopefully the new kernel will fix this problem.

To those who are stuck at 1024 x 768 and are using GMA900 video card, here's how I fixed the problem:

I deleted all the AppleIntel9???.kext including the AppleIntelIntegratedsomething.framework (I can't remember all the names and I'm not infront of my MacIntel. But if you view in list format they're next to each other.

I copied all the AppleIntel9???.kext including the AppleIntelIntegratedsomething.framework from the /backup-10.4.4/Extensions to existing /System/Library/Extensions folder replacing the ones I deleted.

Delete the Extensions.kextcache and mcache

Repair permissions and reboot. No need to edit com.appleBoot.plist

I rebooted and I had all my options to change screen resolution.

I tried this and got some weird kind of kernel panic when I was starting (I used the ones from my 10.4.3 install). Tried replacing them with the ones I backed up (10.4.5) and got a "this kext was not properly installed" type message about them. Now I'm stuck with non-accelerated graphics :dev: (had to delete them completely to get them working again). Does someone have a copy of the 10.4.4 versions they could e-mail to me? bluedragon1971@gmail.com

edit: nevermind, I managed to get it fixed, but still wish I could get my resolution selection ability back :D

edit 2: I figured out that if you only replace the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with the one from 10.4.4, then repair permissions, it will work correctly! Yippee!! I can now freely change resolution!!!!

Maxxuss, you are the best. I have a 20'' Dual Core iMac and I love it, but I also like running my Dell boxes on the same OS. I use more than one machine at a time and you have made it fun. Wish Apple would pull the stick out and let us play. I will still buy their machines reguardless if they release the OS it to OEM or not. I like there hardware. Thanks again for all the effort you put in.

uh-oh, I think I messed up! So, you had to have 10.4.4 installed to run the update, it won't work on 10.4.3? I edited the .dist file inside the package so it wouldn't stop me. I installed the update on 10.4.3, and then ran the replace.sh script from the Maxxuss patch. Now when i go to boot, even from safe mode, the computer reboots after loading the extensions. What can I do? I haven't been able to mount the hfsplus volume rw in Suse, hpfsck gives the following error:

linux:/home/user # hpfsck /dev/sda3

*** Checking Volume Header:

Volume was not cleanly unmounted

Volume is inconsistent

Reserved attribute in use: 2000

Invalid total blocks 4124D9, expected 0 Done ***

*** Checking Backup Volume Header:

Unexpected Volume signature ' ' expected 'H+'

hpfsck: hpfsck: This is not a HFS+ volume (Unknown error 4294967295)

ever since i accidentally selected a startup disk, grub won't load osx, only the windows chainloader could! however, I can mount the volume read-only. So, do I have to reinstall? what next?

EDIT: I was able to mount it r/w in Suse, so now what??

Phew, that was a close one :)

As I removed my 10.4.3 partition yesterday after installing 10.4.4 I went for the "direct 10.4.4" update following Maxxuss' instructions:

First problem encountered:

hdiutil attach is not able to mount the 10.4.5 dmg: it's timing out telling me that the driver is missing (I even tried to remove the hdiutil preferences plist but no go).

So I decided to copy the PKG file inside the DMG to my desktop so I didn't have to use hdiutil for this.

Second problem:

Running installer -verbose ...

Everything in the installation went fine until the installer started to "optimize my disk performance": it stalled at exactly 50% :) I waited for about 20 minutes but again: no go!

Of course: when restarting my laptop: no more 10.4.4!!!

So I booted from the (patched) 10.4.4 Installer DVD and did a "mount_hfs" of /dev/disk0s3 (my corrupted 10.4.4 or should we say 10.4.5 volume?) and ran a "fsck -fy" on that volume: luckily enough the HFS was still intact! Did a "mount -uw" to mount it writable.

After this I continued with Maxxuss' instructions by altering the scripts to point to my mounted 10.4.4 partition and to include a copy of IONetworkFamily.kext (I'm using a RealTek 8139) from the backed up Extensions folder to the 10.4.5's Extensions folder.

After a reboot and a Repair Disk Permissions I'm now a happy 10.4.5 user :)

FYI: as I was having the hdiutil attach problems and read about people not being able to mount a DMG anymore I just tested this on 10.4.5 and it's working fine for me.

For those having problems with mounting DMGs: did you already try to delete the hdiutil preferences plist found in your account's Library/Preferences folder?

Take care,

Tek_No

Exact same experience, step for step here, although dmgs are fine for me, but Auto-login and Networking in Preferences are not. I have an Asus P4C800E-Deluxe with Intel CT PRO gigabit LAN; it's a bit of an uncommon chipset so I'm not surprised IONetworking.kext doesn't still fully supportit.

To those who are stuck at 1024 x 768 and are using GMA900 video card, here's how I fixed the problem:

I deleted all the AppleIntel9???.kext including the AppleIntelIntegratedsomething.framework (I can't remember all the names and I'm not infront of my MacIntel. But if you view in list format they're next to each other.

I copied all the AppleIntel9???.kext including the AppleIntelIntegratedsomething.framework from the /backup-10.4.4/Extensions to existing /System/Library/Extensions folder replacing the ones I deleted.

Delete the Extensions.kextcache and mcache

Repair permissions and reboot. No need to edit com.appleBoot.plist

I rebooted and I had all my options to change screen resolution.

Thanks a lot minimac.

It works for me!

Hi all!

I've problem with mounting dmg's under 10.4.5, tried to repair permissions, from 10.4.3 and 10.4.4, chmoding chwoning, but no luck. Finally i've rebooted with -s, removed all kexts, and copird all kexts from last working 10.4.4. Now i can mount dmg's. Anyone have some idea, which kext make troubles?

--

best regards

fingerr

is it only me??? i went back to 10.4.4 after upgrading to 10.4.5 using step by step instruction by "u know who"... upgrade went well using 10.4.3, but i lost my lan, cant seem to fix the resolution and audio.. (easy in 10.4.4) and my pentium d 820 according to 10.4.5 runs at 4 ghz per core... so i went back to 10.4.4... maybe the high cpu reading is the curse of the "job" that i will burn in hell... ill keep reading for news and development...

I have these problems:

Auto-Login doesn't work. Checked all the settings in the System Preferences, but I always have to enter my password after a reboot!

Also, the boot process stalls for a few seconds and then says somthing like "IOKitWaitQuit....". Any idea?

I do have problems with the ATI card like Takuro described.

I think I will change back to 10.4.4 for the time being.

I think that the processor speed information in the system profiler is correct, because of the clearly faster speeds. (I'm up 10 points in xbench)

Gentlemen, I think that we have been overclocked.

free money, free money, free money :o

And even more – on the same as yours mobo but with a 2,8 P4 (520) I have accordingly to the System Profiler a P4 at 3,06 GHz! :D))

Mac OS X 10.4.5, maxxuss' patched kernel.