Maxxuss Patches for 10.4.5 released

a8ne

162 posts in this topic

Great Job Maxxuss !

Any ideas on why that dmgs will not mount? I replaced Appleac97, AppleAzalia, Apple Ps2 Controller, IOataFamily.kext and IOnetworking family, but that shouldn't be the reason. Anyone have any ideas? When trying to open ANY DMG, it says Device not configured. I have tried all the kextcache and repair permissions and empty cache to no luck. Any ideas?

Ok, I just want to say that I don't really appreciate the tone of the post on the news page. It seems to be pretty confrontational. Aren't we all Apple fans here? Isn't the whole point of this site to encourage the support of Apple's software?

It seems to me if you guys want this to continue, the tone should be more neutral to kissing-up. :) Sorry to be a downer, but if I was an Apple employee and saw that post, I'd be pretty offended.

One way to improve the tone would be to focus more on how Maxxuss got things working, and less on how Apple has screwed up.

By the way, I'm excited to see this project mature - I hope you guys can continue to work together on this.

The article is updated with more info from the blog (and a little less aggressive tone - it was originally from one of our staff writers). I agree torncanvas - we don't want to do anything to invoke the wrath of the Apple Legal gods.

And besides... we're just not that aggressive here anyway.

Peace. Love. OSx86. :)

Yea seriously, I was thinking the same thing when reading. Apple and Steve are going to be pissed, not as pissed about us testing the ability of thier OS. And if they offer you a job Maxxuss, take it.

i think he will.

steve might really give him a real mac and as a trade, "stop doing pathcing" lol

Phew, that was a close one ;)

As I removed my 10.4.3 partition yesterday after installing 10.4.4 I went for the "direct 10.4.4" update following Maxxuss' instructions:

First problem encountered:

hdiutil attach is not able to mount the 10.4.5 dmg: it's timing out telling me that the driver is missing (I even tried to remove the hdiutil preferences plist but no go).

So I decided to copy the PKG file inside the DMG to my desktop so I didn't have to use hdiutil for this.

Second problem:

Running installer -verbose ...

Everything in the installation went fine until the installer started to "optimize my disk performance": it stalled at exactly 50% ;) I waited for about 20 minutes but again: no go!

Of course: when restarting my laptop: no more 10.4.4!!!

So I booted from the (patched) 10.4.4 Installer DVD and did a "mount_hfs" of /dev/disk0s3 (my corrupted 10.4.4 or should we say 10.4.5 volume?) and ran a "fsck -fy" on that volume: luckily enough the HFS was still intact! Did a "mount -uw" to mount it writable.

After this I continued with Maxxuss' instructions by altering the scripts to point to my mounted 10.4.4 partition and to include a copy of IONetworkFamily.kext (I'm using a RealTek 8139) from the backed up Extensions folder to the 10.4.5's Extensions folder.

After a reboot and a Repair Disk Permissions I'm now a happy 10.4.5 user :D

FYI: as I was having the hdiutil attach problems and read about people not being able to mount a DMG anymore I just tested this on 10.4.5 and it's working fine for me.

For those having problems with mounting DMGs: did you already try to delete the hdiutil preferences plist found in your account's Library/Preferences folder?

Take care,

Tek_No

Hey Maxxuss,

I would really love to give you a PayPal donation. I highly recommend you set up a donation button on your blog/site, as you can make alot of money. I'm sure you've heard of how Bram Cohen (Bittorrent Creator) lives off the money he gets from donations.

Even though it's not about the money, getting paid in a way has to be a plus, and refusing such donations is a terrible misjudgement.

Get back to me,

Laurence

I saw a post either on here or win2osx were someone had figured out how to fix the restart not working when it was hanging and with all versions of OSX it hangs when trying to restart. I used the fix from one of those posts and it worked for my 10.4.3 8f1111g release. Would it be possible to incorporate this into the mack_kernel of 10.4.5 as part of a patch for all those that have this issue? Also with 10.4.3 8f1111g I could use my Scanner software for my HP scanner with no problems but with 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 it crashes. I believe I had the same crash problem when I was running 10.4.1 and first ver of 10.4.3. Another this is that when I go to install Adobe Creative Suite it does a hard lock. Other than that and the iTunes it is working great. Thank you.. Also wanted to say.. Great job Maxxuss!! YOU ROCK!

I saw a post either on here or win2osx were someone had figured out how to fix the restart not working when it was hanging and with all versions of OSX it hangs when trying to restart. I used the fix from one of those posts and it worked for my 10.4.3 8f1111g release.

It's working on kernel 8.4.1 too

and i feel kernel 8.5.1 have fixed the reboot issue.When MAXXUSS patch the kernel 8.5.1 .I think the reboot will not a issue .

upgrade to 10.4.5 was easiest yet, everything seems to be working great(except QE and CI)and seems to be running more like 4.3. I will xbench in a bit, installing 5308 on another system.. oh yea my 2.4 celeron is detected as 3.2 Ghz =P Also the 10.4.3 install on first partition is a life saver..

Maxxuss thanks for all your skillz

I have the same bug - my Athlon64 3200+ working at 2000 Mhz is detected as "3.7 Ghz AMD Athlon" in 10.4.5. what is this?

post-1505-1140796180_thumb.jpg

Is anyone else having problems with their Realtek 8139 (RTL8139) ? If someone could take a look at this ktext inside the IONetworking.kext or what it is, I'd be gladly appricated. Keep in mind this card worked on all versions from 10.4.1-10.4.4 , just not on 10.4.5.

Have you tried copying the IONetworkingFamily.kext from your 10.4.3 or 10.4.4 system? I had to do that when I upgraded to 10.4.4, because my network was no longer working. It still works fine with that kext in 10.4.5.

To those who are stuck at 1024 x 768 and are using GMA900 video card, here's how I fixed the problem:

I deleted all the AppleIntel9???.kext including the AppleIntelIntegratedsomething.framework (I can't remember all the names and I'm not infront of my MacIntel. But if you view in list format they're next to each other.

I copied all the AppleIntel9???.kext including the AppleIntelIntegratedsomething.framework from the /backup-10.4.4/Extensions to existing /System/Library/Extensions folder replacing the ones I deleted.

Delete the Extensions.kextcache and mcache

Repair permissions and reboot. No need to edit com.appleBoot.plist

I rebooted and I had all my options to change screen resolution.