The NSPanel Thread

204 posts in this topic

ok new problem, i did a fresh install of leo, and when i started doing my hud mods, everything got kinda messed up, when i hit the power button on my macbook, nothing happens, force quit menu doesnt work, log out brings up the shutdown window with the force quit window behind it.

any clue? id usually know what to do, but in this instance i have no friggen clue..

HELP!!

lo

-Robbie

• 4 weeks later...
What's the easiest way to make HUD windows "NOT always on top" ? in other words..to make HUDs behave like a normal window...because i need to do this for all of the HUDs I've applied

Help me out Diablotik !!

Click the title of the window in Interface Builder and in the Attribute Inspector (first tab), under behavior check the "Hide on Deactivate" box.

If Interface Builder says ".. cannot open nib, because it's compiled...", is there any way to HUD the application anyways?

I would really like to HUD "ForkLift" - my Finder replacement :P

Oh, and could someone please upload the iCal HUD mod again, the link doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a bit of a dilemma :blush:

Is there any way to restore some apps and interfaces if you are stuck in this HUD mode without doing a fresh install??

The installation package destroyed Preview and Calculator as well as Quicktime, and I still can't irreverse the log in/out, about this mac, activity monitor and force quit.

Basically, how can I un-do HUD without the original resource files I deleted. Is there somewhere I could grab them, and where I would be putting these; mainly the about this mac and log in/out screens.

Please help guys :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
To sum it up making HUDs in the simplest form = using a drop down menu and clicking a checkbox. You need Interface Builder (comes as part of Xcode)

How to make HUDs for Dummies in 10 easy steps by ~pcwiz

#1 Go into the package contents of the app you want to HUDize (right click >> Show package contents)

#2 Navigate to Contents >> Resources >> English.lproj

#3 Open the MainMenu.nib file in Interface Builder

#4 Click on the app window shown in Interface Builder

#5 In the Inspector window tick the HUD checkbox

#6 Change the class from NSWindow to NSPanel

#7 Save the nib file

#8 Rejoice and drool all over the screen

#9 Do the happy dance

#10 Share your creations with others

Other Notes

The Inspector (open by default) can be opened in either the Tools or Window menu in Interface builder. If you can't find the HUD and class options just look through the different tabs of the Inspector window. Easiest way I can explain it. Maybe not 100% correct because its been a while since I've done it, but accurate enough :censored2:

Hi i've follow this and I'm not able to save the AboutThisMac.nib file, it keeps telling me i don't have appropriate access privileges. So i've go to get info and "Sharing and Permissions" i've added myself with read and write privilege, reboot, however i've still getting this message. What i've did wrong?

Hi i've follow this and I'm not able to save the AboutThisMac.nib file, it keeps telling me i don't have appropriate access privileges. So i've go to get info and "Sharing and Permissions" i've added myself with read and write privilege, reboot, however i've still getting this message. What i've did wrong?

Copy the files to the desktop, modify them, backup the old version, and then move the new versions back.