The NSPanel Thread

204 posts in this topic

To sum it up making HUDs in the simplest form = using a drop down menu and clicking a checkbox. You need Interface Builder (comes as part of Xcode)

How to make HUDs for Dummies in 10 easy steps by ~pcwiz

#1 Go into the package contents of the app you want to HUDize (right click >> Show package contents)

#2 Navigate to Contents >> Resources >> English.lproj

#3 Open the MainMenu.nib file in Interface Builder

#4 Click on the app window shown in Interface Builder

#5 In the Inspector window tick the HUD checkbox

#6 Change the class from NSWindow to NSPanel

#7 Save the nib file

#8 Rejoice and drool all over the screen

#9 Do the happy dance

#10 Share your creations with others

Other Notes

The Inspector (open by default) can be opened in either the Tools or Window menu in Interface builder. If you can't find the HUD and class options just look through the different tabs of the Inspector window. Easiest way I can explain it. Maybe not 100% correct because its been a while since I've done it, but accurate enough :unsure:

Err, by clicking on the Trash in your dock?

lol oh so funny. i meant (just in case you didnt comprehend me the first time) were do you access the trash properties? ie: mainmenu.nib ect...

lol oh so funny. i meant (just in case you didnt comprehend me the first time) were do you access the trash properties? ie: mainmenu.nib ect...

I took a look for it but I have a feeling the trash properties are in a compiled nib so we cant change it. The last set of instructions are pretty much right but it doesnt say that the choices to do such things like change nswindow to nspanel are in the 5th (4th maybe?) inspector tab and once you change it you have to go to the first inspector tab and click the hud checkbox to make it a hud.

oh haha, now that makes sense..

but no, i dont know where to access it :[

I took a look for it but I have a feeling the trash properties are in a compiled nib so we cant change it. The last set of instructions are pretty much right but it doesnt say that the choices to do such things like change nswindow to nspanel are in the 5th (4th maybe?) inspector tab and once you change it you have to go to the first inspector tab and click the hud checkbox to make it a hud.

yes, i found that out. once you figure that out, it really is easy.

oh haha, now that makes sense..

but no, i dont know where to access it :[

yea lol, ur prolly right, i just dont know.

So with the release of 10.5.3 I can confirm that the software update hud works perfectly. Feel free to download and play with it now.

seems that the software update folder you provided, is actually the backup folder for software update, wondering if you have the actual HUD folder?

-Robbie

not sure if it is related to 10.5.3 only beacause, i didnt spend much time with HUDs in 10.5.2 ... anyhow, when in an app that is HUD enabled, if you click onto another app, the HUD enabled app will NOT hide behind the app you clicked, it will always stay on top.. this problem, has led me to restore default resources folders to all programs, that i use WITH the exception of the shutdown/logout/forcequit/restart/ect... i left all these alone beings as how these particular apps, do not require me to hide them. anyhow, idk if this problem of mine, pertains to 10.5.3 or not, just stating it.

AFAIK that's there in 10.5.2 as well. They have to be configured to hide, just "using a dropdown menu and ticking a checkbox" won't cut it :)

ah well, i wish some one would have told me that, lol i just reverted everything, but w.e HUD stuff is nice, although to complicated to do on ones own. lol and installer would be nice *cough cough* that would install all of them, and make them hide **** :P

-Robbie

What else would he be talking about? That's the only checkbox that, well, hides the window when it's deactivated.

Also, I found the lines in the NIB's files that determine the class and the style mask. Let the automation begin.

Just so you're aware, if I make a tool like this, it will only work on certain NIBs that meet the requirements and don't have anything too fancy going on.

• 4 weeks later...

hey, ive tried the leopard HUD installer, and got transmission and system profiler and stuff HUD-ed out.

But the main one i wanted-- About this mac... did not work. B)

can somebody help me try to get the about this mac a HUD? all the installer did was turn the text white

runnin kalyway 10.5.2

i'm having trouble wiht the MAC hud...i dled the file..then i backuped the english file, delted it from coreservices etc...then replaced it with the mac hud file..when i do that and i click on my mac...it doesn't evne show up?!? help?

thanks

Okay Cocoa ninjas, here's a question:

Once a window is set as NSPanel class, it's always on top (which is annoying). I read in the docs that you can setFloatingPanel:NO to make it behave like a normal window, not just "hide on deactivate" ...how do I do this?

Also, I'm currently altering Xbench to make it HUD:

@Cabron that GUI kit is ridiculously nice, it's really going to come in handy with this mod. I can't believe it's res indepedent!

20080719-xuqh2gnbtn4b7unx8xtuf8s92c.jpg

But since it's not kosher to make your primary window HUD, I start to see a strange behavior. For example, when I launch my Xbench HUD, the TestResults.nib pops up with the MainMenu.nib ("visible on launch" is not ticked). But when I turn HUD off, only the MainMenu.nib launches on start (which is what should really happen). Try it yourself, it's really frustrating. I suspect that that it's looking for an NSWindow class and isn't finding one. Any ideas for a work around?

I found this: made by gnome

AUHUD.png

It requires SIMBL to install, because this doesn't modify the NIB files of the application--it edits the code. (Safely, I promise.)

Please report any bugs.

Download: http://www.gnomepi.com/random/AUHUD.zip

Install Instructions:

1. Install SIMBL, if you haven't already.

2. Drop the downloaded file into /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/, creating that folder if it does not already exist.

Note: If you try to compress a file by right-clicking in the Finder, you won't get HUD windows. That's because the Finder, a Carbon program, is responsible for that compression *. Decompression will work, however.

These are all great, and the installer works wonders. I almost have all of them working, except I can't figure out why the log out screen, and quicktime mods won't take. They didn't work from the installer and I tried a few times manually doing it so I know the files are replaced, but it won't switch to HUD.

Any ideas what is causing this? I'd love to get these last two working. Its weird that shutdown and restart would show HUD but log off, won't seem to take no matter what.

EDIT: Alright, figured out the logout issue, the file does not go in the English.Iproj folder like the others ;)

EDIT2: Yep same thing on the other one...LOL Now I can sleep :P

Thanks to everyone who worked on this, this is really a great mod!