Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

K, update: I'm now using a DWL-D510 which uses the Atheros AR5005G 802.11abg NIC Chipset.

VEN_168c DEV_001A

I tried that Broadcom Guide, obviously adding my product ID as well (pci168c,001A) though it's still not working. Nothing is showing up, nor AirPort utility at the top, I try the AirPort Setup Wizard and it doesn't detect anything.

What am I doing wrong? I just want my internet :)

(My god... you never realize how much you depend on it until you lose it lol)

Sorry for the triple post here but...

OMFG!!!!1111111oneoneoneoneleven

I got it to work! :wallbash::shock::help:

I went ahead and tried the 10.4.5 kext files and it worked!

I only used IO80211Family.kext, not the other one. Using both just completely f****d my connections. I repaired the permissions using Disk Utility, rebooted and once I went into "System Preferences > Network" Voila! a pop-up saying "A new connection has been detected: AirPort"

Yay!:D

Just for future reference to others, I am using a D-Link DWL-G510 Rev. B; VEN_168c DEV_001A (Atheros AR5005G 802.11abg NIC Chipset) :thumbsdown_anim: *adds to wiki*

Few weeks back I freshly reinstalled my laptop with 10.4.7 and 10.4.6, neither of them detected my Atheros wireless card. Then I installed 10.4.5, it is detected as Airport right after installation.

For those who has Atheros card but don't work, it's worth to try the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5 update.

Bruce

could someone please upload the 10.4.5 kext files on this? I'm on dialup and I would really prefer not to download a huge file just for 2 kexts...thanks....

Thanks for help , i ahve 5005g and i installed prepatched 10.4.7 , after extracter io80211family.kext from MacOSXUpd10.4.5Intel.dmg ,replace , change a permissions , and NEW AIRPORT DETECTED. WPA WORKING. THX FOR HELP AGAIN !!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am totally new to macs and I have a PowerBook (FireWire) or Pismo version. Some one gave me a Belkin wireless card that has an Atheros chipset in it. I have Mac OSX 10.3.9 can't go any higher due to this laptop being old. Will this fix work for me? I have been searching for a driver for this damn card for weeks now with no luck. I've tried Orangewares and IOExperts drivers both with no luck. Some one help me out and tell me there is a way to make this work.

• 4 weeks later...

After much trial and error, I was able to get my W500 (168c,0013) working in 10.4.8. Here's the steps required:

1a. open Terminal and enter "sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist". Type in your password and hit enter. If you don't have Administrator access to be able to use sudo, you will need to get that worked out first. That is beyond the scope of this thread.

1b. Search for a section that looks like this:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

</array>

and add the appropriate device ID for your card like this:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

</array>

If you need to find the device ID for your card you can open up another Terminal window and type in "ioreg -l | grep 168c". As long as you have an Atheros card, you should see a line that has "IONameMatched" that contains the vendor and device ID for your card.

1c. Save the file and exit nano.

2. Reboot.

3. Open System Preferences and choose Network. It may pop up a dialog box that tells you that a new interface was found. If so, click OK and then click Apply Now. You *might* need to reboot again at this point.

4a. (Thanks to mdg for this tidbit, Original post can be found here.)

In a Terminal window, type "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist".

4b. There will be one or more interfaces that are opened by a <dict> tag and closed by a </dict> tag. For each interface, look at the line before the closing </dict>. It should be a <string> tag and you need to find the one with AtherosInterface in it. This is the interface associated with the wireless card.

4c. Once you find the correct interface, look at what the BSD Name field shows. It will have <string>enX</string>, where X is a number (in my case it was a 0). Remember that number and then change the value to en1. Example:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

4d. You will also need to set the IOInterfaceUnit to 1 to match. Example:

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

4e. Now you need to eliminate conflicts. If necessary, find any other interface that has a BSD Name of en1 and change it to the X number that the Atheros card used to be (in my case I changed it to a 0.) You also need to do this with the IOInterfaceUnit field for the other card. 1 to 0 in my case.

5. Reboot.

6. Open System Preferences and click on Network. You should get a message that a new interface called Airport was detected. Configure it and you are off to the races!

Good Luck!

Get your Linksys WMP54GS working,

I'm really pleased, thanks to you, I just sussed out how to get Airport working as well, by editing the IO80211Family.kext file. If you are interested, Show package contents/Plugins then in my case as I had a Broadcom Linksys card open Apple AirportBrcm4311.kext show package contents/Contents then open info .plist with text editor and enter your device id of your PCI card over one of those already in there, for example:

<key>Broadcom 802.11 PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>APRoamThresh</key>

<integer>-91</integer>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Brcm43xx</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

<string>pci14e4,4329</string>

<string>pci14e4,432a</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4313</string>

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

<string>pci14e4,431a</string>

My device id is 4318, so I overwrote 4319 with this info. Did all this in root, then repaired permissions just to be on the safe side, rebooted and open Network properties, Bang - New port detected, you know what to do from there!

If you need/want to do this it works a treat.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for your help, i simply edited the io80211family.kext from the latest jas 10.4.8 with ppf1 and modify the info.plist in the 5424atheros kext to get my orinoco WD-8470, it's working under WPA2.

i'll edit my signature :huh:

Hi there,

I've recently bought the Gigabyte GN-WI01GT WLan card, based on ar5006egs chip. Windows claims that it's dev_id: 168c ven_id: 001c. But when I try to load the atheros kext I got "loaded unseccsessfully" message and it doesn't work. Anybody got this one working under OSx86? Or maybe you've got any suggestions? Is it possible to get it working?

Thanks,

mentorek

• 1 month later...

Hello Mentorek,

I have the exact same mini PCIe card as you in my Mitac Barbone Laptop, did you get yours going?

I am just at the beginning of experiments with it, tried the 10.4.5 kexts to no avail... but it seems like it SHOULD work...

Any news?

cheerio,

ninetto

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Mentorek,

I have the exact same mini PCIe card as you in my Mitac Barbone Laptop, did you get yours going?

I am just at the beginning of experiments with it, tried the 10.4.5 kexts to no avail... but it seems like it SHOULD work...

Any news?

cheerio,

ninetto

I, too, have the same card. Any success stories or progress?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hey all,

i finally got my netgear 311t running and since it started working my whole system is painfully slow. fixed permissions and used onyx to nio avail. it didnt slow down when i installed the card, it slowed down when i finally got it working. (added the 168,1 line in the atheros plist)

any ideas??? im about ready to giveup on wireless...

• 1 month later...
I would highly recommend AGAINST the GN-WI01GT. Get the one in my sig.

Hi MrFuzzemz,

Could you post the steps to activate the GN-WI01GT?

'Cause I just could not make OSX detect it.

Thanks in advance!

Sunny

Guy's I need help with my hp nc8000....i have read everything here and searched now for two days, and now finally to ask...

I have hp W400 wireless, and the driver is installed OK...(after 4th time reinstalling).....when I booted up my system first time it detected my home WiFi, but I didn't join it because I need WiFi at my work...

Now WiFi is installed on Mac OS X 10.4.8, but it is saying that AirPort turned off (and it is not.....it's on)....

Anybody nows how can I fix it (turn it on or something that I need to change)?

Thanks

Sorry, forgot to mention.....I have tryed changing that file (integer....) and when I change it, I dont have WiFi card detected at all any more....

Checked in there aswell, it is 0x168C and 0xE6 wich is correct....

So it is defenetly there, just "Turned Off" :rolleyes:

Hi MrFuzzemz,

Could you post the steps to activate the GN-WI01GT?

'Cause I just could not make OSX detect it.

Thanks in advance!

Sunny

Read again what you've quoted. I advise AGAINST it! I have heard no reports of it functioning.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an atheros AR5212 a/b/g mini-PCI card, and after trying the most common Atheros method of using the 10.4.5 IO80211 kext and everything, and now my network preferences show an AirPort option, but it is permanently turned off. Clicking the turn on button does nothing, and I havent found a solution yet.

I'm using the new AMD Leopard 10.5.1, ToH kernel

/wireless vendor id is 168c /device id is 0013

so where do i go from here?