Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

Dax

You need the 80211 kext from 10.4.3 in order to get the atheros wireless drivers to work.

At least that was what I had to have with my HP nc6000 Laptop. HP W500 card.

Am I doing something wrong? The kext will load, and in profiler it shows 4 built in ethernets(i have 4 possible ones: ethernet, wireless, firewire, 56k) however i can't really configure anything...

I have a bit of a problem getting my wireless to work with Mac OSX x86

I have a Dlink DWL-G520 Atheros Based wireless card.

When installing Mac OSX x86 Prepatched with intel 10.4.5 patch and the first boot up It works almost flawlessly.

During the registration I am asked wich wireless network I want to acces and WPA works and so on.

Though, If I restart the computer or it doesn't connect.

The wierd thing is on the first bootup from the installation the computer says in the system profiler under airport card that there's a communication error and there's no difference when I do the reboot.

I've tried to Copy the IO80211Family.kext and IO80211NetworkingFamily.kext from the 10.4.5 and have it under the 10.4.4 but I don't get through all the permission things. (New to mac os and unix.)

I think I've installed almost everything right exept for the AirPortAtheros5424.kext but I just can't get it to install.

During Chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext I get no permission right or some fault like that.

The only way I could get chmod or chown to work in the terminal were to copy the IO80211Family.kext into my own user directory.

Please help. I just don't want to turn back to Windows :(

I got a cheap ($14.95 US) Airlink 101 PCI b/g card and used the kext and it worked like a charm (A logo on the box said Atheros Super G) No kext editing needed. The card is a AWLH4030 Super G™ Wireless PCI Adapter

I had a similar card, but it was branded the AWLH3500 (or 3505; I'm at the office and not at home.) That one does not work. It is also an "Airlink 101" card. I double-checked the device ID and vendor ID, added them to Info.plist and got debug messages that the driver loaded but was unable to attach; so it looks like that card has a different chipset.

These cards are pretty cheap; available from Fry's and the like. I'm going to go back to Fry's and get another card; either one with a supported chipset or a second Belkin USB wireless (I'm successfully using one on my HP nc6000.)

Thank you all for your help, especially to the person that gave me the hookup with the 10.4.3 drivers.

If you don't know your hardware, try everesthome220.exe, freeware. http://www.google.com/search?q=everesthome220.exe Use the Report-Report Wizard-System Summary only to generate a summary that you can post as an attachment

Alternatively, use Mac terminal 'ioreg -l' to see a list of devices.

How to ask questions in this forum

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11517

sample report from Everest:

PCI Devices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter ]

Device Properties:

Device Description Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

Bus Type PCI

Bus / Device / Function 3 / 0 / 0

Device ID 168C-001A

Subsystem ID 1186-3B08

Device Class 0200 (Ethernet Controller)

Revision 01

Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Enabled

Device Features:

66 MHz Operation Not Supported

Bus Mastering Enabled

Alternatively, use Mac terminal 'ioreg -l' to see a list of devices.

Thanks very much, that's what i was looking for.

| |   |   +-o ethernet@2  <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>
| |   |   |   {
| |   |   |	 "device-id" = <13000000>
| |   |   |	 "vendor-id" = <8c160000>
| |   |   |	 "IOName" = "ethernet"
| |   |   |	 "subsystem-vendor-id" = <4f140000>
| |   |   |	 "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
| |   |   |	 "revision-id" = <01000000>
| |   |   |	 "reg" = <00100600>
| |   |   |	 "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744072368422912,"length"=65536}))
| |   |   |	 "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates = 3, version 1, power state 0 = { capabi$
| |   |   |	 "class-code" = <00000200>
| |   |   |	 "subsystem-id" = <84700000>
| |   |   |	 "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<1600000007000000>)
| |   |   |	 "compatible" = <"pci144f,7084","pci168c,13","pciclass,020000">
| |   |   |	 "assigned-addresses" = <1010060200000000000010b00000000000000100>
| |   |   |	 "name" = "ethernet"
| |   |   |	 "IOChildIndex" = 2
| |   |   |	 "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = c182ae80, interested driver = c182ae80, driverDesir$
| |   |   |   }

pci168c,13 is already in the plist file, but it does not work... :-(

Hello, Just new to this Forum... great infos.

I've been following this thread in order to get my Netgear WG511T to work on my laptop but so far with no luck.

HW configuration:

. Toshiba Tecra M3

. Pentium M 2.13Ghz

. 1Gb RAM

. Ethernet Marvell Yukon (Working and seen as en0)

. Internal Wifi Intel Pro BG/2000 (Not working/disabled)

. Graphics Nvidia (working with no 2D/3D acceleration in 1280x1024)

. Sound AC97 (Working)

. Netgear WG511T (The one I'm trying to get recognized as an Airport)

SW Configuration:

. Install DVD = 10.4.4 Myzar patched + 10.4.5 update

. Installed all patches (except AMD) + Upgrade to 10.4.5

I have the 2 kext drivers (AirPortAtheros5424.kext and AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext) in my IO80211Family.kext which let me think that my upgrade to 10.4.5 was OK.

The symtom:

At boot time I have the following messages "WirelessAirPortDeviceNameCopy(): no AirPort driver found"

Nothing is showing up in the System profiler, neither in Network Utility

No Leds on the WG511T are on

doing ioreg -l doesn't show any PCI info with my vendor/device ID

I've installed the card under XP and it works flawlessly device/ID are 168c:0013

checked my Info.plist and those Ids are in by defautl

I obviously checked permissions and ownership of the IO80211family.kext as well as repairing disk permissions with disk utility

I've disabled my internal Intel Centrino Wifi but not change

I've also tried to install 10.4.3 IOnetworking on my 10.4.5 with no luck

Any chance that someone here has had the same issues, I believe that the first big step that would help me to move forward is to get the device/ID showing up in ioreg

thanks for suggestions,

Rykkard

PS: Not sure about the 10.4.3 IOnetworking, where some say it's needed in order to get IO80211family drivers to work. I've compared both from 10.4.5 and 10.4.3, it seems to me that they are only for Ethernet not 802.11. Also IOnetworking from 10.4.3 doesn't include the Yukon kext that I need for my internal on-board ethernet.

Just realized why my Netgear WG511T can't work with 10.4.5 on my Tecra M3.

Both the IOPPCard and IOPCCardBridge kext are failing to load Boot time,

The boot error messages are explicit:

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: not found.

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

The PCMCIA Chipset of the Toshiba Tecra M3 is a Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller

It seems that it is not currently supported uncer 10.4.5

I've also tried booting from older versions (10.4.1, and 10.4.3) errors messages slightly differ but IOPCCard wouldn't load either.

R.

Thanks to all people on this thread I have my T41 up and running with wireless. I have a triband Atheros card, I used IONetworkingFamily.kext & IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.5 bundle. Of course, in itially I was making the mistake of installing these files through Pacifist, but then instead of installing the files, I just did a drag and drop (copy). Additionally, I also modified the NetworkPreferense.plist file to change the en0 to en1 and voila! wireless was up and running.

Now the next thing would be to try and get OpenGl working, but I am readin that the MR 7500 card isnt supported. Has nayone made nay progress with that?

Worked like a charm. I did the en0 -> en1 trick and now wireless works great. However, how do we also get Ethernet enabled and working at the same time? After making this change, "built-in ethernet" shows up but is greyed out and cannot be enabled or used. Please let me know.

thanks!

I'm using 10.4.3 Wesley's patched on my IBM T43 laptop and just bought the Netgear WG511T (Atheros chipset) cardbus.

i replaced the i080211 kext of my 10.4.3 with that of the 10.4.5.

after reboot, the wireless icon appeared on the top right hand corner and says that the airport is not configured.

However, I get an error whenever i try to configure it.

anyone has any idea why ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have made the atheros ar5001x wifi card work on my lifebook t4010d. I got the kext from apple 10.4.5 update and used it to replaced the original one with 10.4.6. Then I did the en0-en1 trick. Now it works very well for me with wpa2 manual ip mode, as I prefer.

I have an Atheros AR5212A card and i have been trying to get this to work. I pulled the IO811.kext off the Macbook Pro DVD and tried using that but it did not seem to work right, nothing ever came up. So im looking to get a working kext from some one and a suggestion as to how to config things to get this working.

ethernet@2  <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 8>
{
 "built-in" = <00>
 "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744073642311680,"length"=65536}))
 "device-id" = <13000000>
 "IOChildIndex" = 6
 "name" = "ethernet"
 "IOName" = "ethernet"
 "vendor-id" = <8c160000>
 "revision-id" = <01000000>
 "subsystem-vendor-id" = <cf170000>
 "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
 "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 021cb580, interested driver = 021cb580, driverDesire = 0, deviceDesire = 0, ourDesiredPowerState = 2, previousReq$
 "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates = 3, version 1, power state 0 = { capabilityFlags 00000000, outputPowerCharacter 00000000, inputPowerR$
 "class-code" = <00000200>
 "compatible" = <"pci17cf,29","pci168c,13","pciclass,020000">
 "subsystem-id" = <")">
 "assigned-addresses" = <10100202000000000000fefb0000000000000100>
 "reg" = <00100200>
 "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<1100000007000000>)

email to infinitevalence at gmail.com

thanks for any help.

NM! Got it working DLed the kext from apple and got the IO80211 installed added my string line and everything worked no need for changing eth0-eht1 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have some problems! I've got this card (CMS ez connect g):

SMCWCBT_G_EU.jpg

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewPro...cid=31&pid=1448

It has an Atheros SuperG Chip, but I can´t get it to work. I am on 10.4.6: first I installed IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5, and nothing happened. Then I installed IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.5, and something happened: ethernet built-in stoped working. Then I installed IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3, but still nothing happens: ethernet is still down, and no signs of wifi of any kind. I don´t know what to do, I thought most Atheros chips worked fine but... Anyway, OSX doesnt recognize the card in any way, neither on profiler, nothing. Should I return this to the store? The card has some kind of LEDs but they are not on, I don't know if I have to "switch the card on" somehow..?

Thanks!

By the way I have an HP Laptop Pavilion dv4000, Pentium D 2.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM.

• 5 weeks later...
i got the WG311T, and stuck it in one of my pci slots. Doesnt even show up in system pci info...can ne one help?

I've got same "problem" with the same pci card (WG311T). Cannot see PCI info. And after each reboot the airport icon in toolbar disapear. Any idea ?

Airport is working at all !

ok i had my atheros ar5005g working in 10.4.3 84f1111a (something like that) and i used the kexts from the 10.4.5 intel update and my wireless worked...now that i have gone to 10.4.6 JaS version....it didn't work from the start so i copied the kexts from the 10.4.5 intel update again but this time...no go! what happend? can someone plz help me?

do i need to try the en0 to en1 thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Atheros 802.11b ethernet card that I can't get my hackintosh to recognize. The ioreg output reads it as a pci168,12 which I have been unable to find any information on. Can anyone assist me with this problem?

Thanks

GET 10.4.5 <<<<--------------------

All people with atheros chips, keep 10.4.5 and it will work

people with intel 815/845/865 graphic keep 10.4.1

if superclass and other things change for block driver we can do almost nothing without sources

10.4.6 works with the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.Kext and changing the "en0" to "en1" and "0" to "1" in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.

I'm running on a ThinkPad T41 with the Atheros a/b/g mini-PCI card, 168C,1014.

BTW, why does everyone say to change the permissions from terminal using arcane commands? You can do it from Finder. Right-click the file, Get Info, at the bottom Ownership and Permissions. Double click the lock icon and change whatever you want. You can also change all the items in a folder this way by clicking "Apply to Enclosed Items".