Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

I have the Atheros 5008E-3NX chipset (mini-pcie), which should be the same as macbook proz, but I also can't enable airport in network prefs and Atheros drivers loads unsuccesful at startup.... any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi my atheros ar5006x not working on my lgr400 notebook,dual core 1.86 2 giga ram,

it's a built in wireless card.

i am running on leopard 10.5.2

that's what it's show me

bash-3.2# ioreg -l | grep 168c

| | | "compatible" = <"pci1a3b,1026","pci168c,1c","pciclass,02000$

bash-3.2# dmesg | grep PC:"> "

com.apple.security.seatbelt

calling mpo_policy_init for mb

Seatbelt MACF policy initialized

Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Copyright © 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993

The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 0, state 0)

Allocating resources on bus 0

root bridge resource MEM 80000000 len 7ec00000

root bridge resource MEM d8000 len 4000

root bridge resource MEM d4000 len 4000

root bridge resource MEM d0000 len 4000

root bridge resource MEM a0000 len 20000

root bridge resource I/O d00 len f300

root bridge resource I/O 0 len cf8

root bridge resource BUS 0 len 100

clipped bridge I/O range head to 400:8f8 for 0:400 overlap 400

MEM: 1 sub-range limited to 669e7c00 each

I/O: 5 sub-range limited to 2bdc each

I/O: allocated block 400:8

I/O: allocated block 408:4

I/O: allocated block 410:8

I/O: allocated block 40c:4

I/O: allocated block 420:10

MEM: allocated block a0000:400

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 6, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 5, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 3, state 3)

pciBridgeAllocateResource(bus 2, state 3)

PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=12 yenta=0)

mbinit: done

Security auditing service present

BSM auditing present

Starting AppleACPIPS2Nub

Found mouse PNP device

AppleACPIPS2Nub startup complete

From path: "uuid",

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 0CCBE012-AB78-3984-B943-A60E15AC6138

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/AppleATADiskDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00 Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2

BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

Jettisoning kernel linker.

Resetting IOCatalogue.

GFX0: family specific matching fails

display: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 2

Matching service count = 4

ath_attach: devid 0x1c

unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-311.32.2/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:481] loaded unsuccessfully

display: family specific matching fails

ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v6.2

ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x3a8cb00

GFX0: family specific matching failsdisplay: family specific matching fails

GFX0: family specific matching failsdisplay: family specific matching fails

GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists

GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists

dsmos: Initializing...

dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!

dsmos: Starting...

yukonosx: Ethernet address 00:e0:91:15:6d:2d

NTFS driver 2.1 [Flags: R/O].

NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

display: Not usable

AppleYukon - en1 link active, 100-Mbit, full duplex, flow control disabled

dos2unixtime(): month value out of range (15)

So I have the end-all solution to this problem apparently:

Replace IO80211Family.kext with an older version (i don't remember where I got it now, probably this thread) and make sure your device and vendor ids are listed. At this point, my AirPort always shows up in Network Preferences, but can never seem to be turned on.

Next,

Install Parallels.

AirPort immediately starts working.

I don't know why, or what the underlying actual action here is that occurs when Parallels sets up its bridged networking, but every time (which is 3 times for me now, on both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 installs of different releases) I do this, wireless works like a charm.

I have an AR5008X, but can't get it work!

During booting, I see a line saying " can not resolve immediate dependencies on system/library/extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros.kext

My device ID is 168c 0024, which I can find in the plist of AirPortAtheros.kext

Can you guys please help me?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey funkypunk, I too have a Compaq Presario with an Atheros AR 5007. I've been trying for weeks now to get it to work and the simple solution right now is that there isn't a solution. At least not for the 5007.

I'm thinking of just buying a new internal wireless card that will be compatible with OSX. Shouldn't cost more than $40.

And trust me. I've done it all, tried it all. Nothing works for the 5007 as of now.

Guest BuildSmart

Having picked up a couple of Atheros miniPCI cards to play with, I started with the AR5005VL and it appears that the subsystem ID's are used by the apple extension so it knows which driver to load, by having the incorrect ID's it loads a basic 11b driver which does not appear to be compatible with this card.

I decided I'd hack the card and change the ID's so I did a fresh unmodified vanilla install of 10.5, changed the ID's and wouldn't you know it, the card now works and I don't have to edit any plists to make the card be recognized or work.

I've done the same with the AR5006E and AR5008E cards, while the AR5008E card worked before I changed the ID's I couldn't get a connection greater than 130mbps, after the change I get connection speed of 300mbps so I have concluded that just editing the info.plist does make some cards work but it does not provide full functionality or capability and the only way to do this is to change some ID's within the card itself (no easy task for Atheros cards) so that it loads the correct driver.

You can google about changing the ID's for Atheros cards, it's a long drawn out process and requires an installation of linux cause you have to download and build some tools to help in the process.

I don't have instructions and don't see myself making the time to write out any so asking would be a waste of time, the information is available via google and in a day you can perform the task yourself.

Fair enough BuildSmart. But because I have to have Vista on this laptop, do you think if I changed the ID of the card would it still work in Vista?

Thanks

Guest BuildSmart
Fair enough BuildSmart. But because I have to have Vista on this laptop, do you think if I changed the ID of the card would it still work in Vista?

Thanks

Yes, I can confirm that the card will still function in Windows XP and Vista.

One thing to note, you need to keep the info on the original subsystem ID's so that you can edit the .inf file and change the old subsystem ID's to the new subsystem ID's cause in Windows it will say detecting new hardware and you will have to use the modified .inf file.

Because you modify the .inf file you will have to delete the .cat file since the checksum will be incorrect after you chnage the ID's (otherwise it wont load the driver).

I never tried this but someone else reported to me that Windows downloaded and install the Atheros apple drivers automatically but since I didn't let it go to the internet I can't confirm if this worked or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Asus M2N-X mobo with "nVIDIA MCP65 - LAN Controller (PHY: Atheros AR8012)" (as Everest says.

I've tried all nforce drivers i could find on insanelymac (4 or 5 kind) and have no result, lan card didn't evet get detected.

Is there drivers for "Atheros AR8012"?

Or it's just everest's mistake...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone knows whether the Atheros AR9001-3NX either works or can be made to work?

It's the only b/g/n mini PCi card I'm able to find, and since I'm using wlan a lot I'd like to have something a bit faster.

Can only find 2 posts it won't work on tiger, that's all.

On ebay the card can be found for 40~ish USD which is worth it for me if it can be made to work as a real airport.

Guest BuildSmart
Anyone knows whether the Atheros AR9001-3NX either works or can be made to work?

It's the only b/g/n mini PCi card I'm able to find, and since I'm using wlan a lot I'd like to have something a bit faster.

Can only find 2 posts it won't work on tiger, that's all.

On ebay the card can be found for 40~ish USD which is worth it for me if it can be made to work as a real airport.

If that is all you can find then your fleabay search skills suck.

The AR9000 series is not currently supported in Mac OS X and just starting to see support in linux so it may be a long time before a driver is available but, this seller has the card you want and he keeps selling em so buy one and be happy.

Got no idea what fleabay is, anyways I ordered the card to see if I can get it working :)

Not really helpful there.

According to the specs it has a AR5416 which is supported in osx out of the box, I might just have to add the device ID to the list.

After some searching I found just 2 chipsets using 300n on mini pci, some broadcomm that I can't even find for sale and thi atheros used in both the atheros card and the sparklan card.

Some sellers advertise this card as a 5008, some as a 9001, so we'll see :)

I'm pretty confident it'll work as the sparklan should work with osx out of the box.

Guest BuildSmart
I have an AR5008X, but can't get it work!

During booting, I see a line saying " can not resolve immediate dependencies on system/library/extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros.kext

My device ID is 168c 0024, which I can find in the plist of AirPortAtheros.kext

Can you guys please help me?

Due to lack of information no one will be able to help you.

This AR5008 card, is in miniPCI or miniPCIe?

What version of OS?

Is this the AR5416 or AR5418 (is it b/g/n or a/b/g/n and ae you sure cause it matters) card? (lspci get's it wrong so don't rely on that as source of info)

Got no idea what fleabay is, anyways I ordered the card to see if I can get it working :)

Not really helpful there.

According to the specs it has a AR5416 which is supported in osx out of the box, I might just have to add the device ID to the list.

After some searching I found just 2 chipsets using 300n on mini pci, some broadcomm that I can't even find for sale and thi atheros used in both the atheros card and the sparklan card.

Some sellers advertise this card as a 5008, some as a 9001, so we'll see :)

I'm pretty confident it'll work as the sparklan should work with osx out of the box.

The 9001 card will not work, the 5008 card can be made to work, better with a/b/g/n than b/g/n.

"fleabay" (what does it sound like?), that is where you saw a card for $40.00-ish.

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/APPLE-OSX-Wire...oduct_info.html

I got this one, according to the site it's osx ready :)

And no not from ebay but some other site in Europe.

Might be the only N card that will work, or do you know something better?

Really need something faster than standard 54g/108 wlan and a wire just isn't an option here, besides I really dislike the cable clutter.

So far I dound 1 post someone made a linksys card with exactly the same chipset working after adding the device id :)

I dare you to find anything better supported.

Guest BuildSmart
http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/APPLE-OSX-Wire...oduct_info.html

I got this one, according to the site it's osx ready :(

And no not from ebay but some other site in Europe.

Might be the only N card that will work, or do you know something better?

Really need something faster than standard 54g/108 wlan and a wire just isn't an option here, besides I really dislike the cable clutter.

So far I dound 1 post someone made a linksys card with exactly the same chipset working after adding the device id :)

I dare you to find anything better supported.

That card will not obtain a connection under OSX of a speed greater than 130mbps due to the lack of 5ghz support, there is a version of this card that does support dual band (2.4ghz/5ghz) however it is extremely hard to come find.

I tried BuildSmart's AR5001X driver posted on this board, but unfortunately it did not work. Even though the card seems to be recognized and the extension loaded, my computer freezes after a few seconds.

These are my card details:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC [168c:0013] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device [1948:3a02]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (2500ns min, 7000ns max), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
Region 0: Memory at f9100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
	Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Any help will be appreciated. This is a 10.5.4, vanilla install using the boot-132 method.

Guest BuildSmart
I tried BuildSmart's AR5001X driver posted on this board, but unfortunately it did not work. Even though the card seems to be recognized and the extension loaded, my computer freezes after a few seconds.

These are my card details:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC [168c:0013] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device [1948:3a02]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (2500ns min, 7000ns max), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
Region 0: Memory at f9100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
	Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Any help will be appreciated. This is a 10.5.4, vanilla install using the boot-132 method.

It looks like you have the Airlink card which does not support 802.11a.

Also latency is high at 64 (mine is 16) and you only have a cache of 32 bytes (mine is 64) which is why I conclude it does not support 802.11a but the card should still not freeze the system so I suspect that it might be related to other modified System extensions because a friend who has the Airlink 101 card and is using a retail DVD installed OS has not experienced any freezes with his system but this is not to say that it's not possible, without more detailed information it's hard to say where the problem.

I also doubt this is an AR5212 but probably an AR5213 but since you don't provide more details about the card and the computer it's hard to determine what you actually do have.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, it is the Airlink 101 AWLH4130 and it doesn't support 802.11a.

I used ath_info to change the subsystem IDs to 168c:0024 but it did not help.

These are the contents of my \Extra\Extensions folder. Which ones would be most likely to cause the wireless card not to work?

AppleAC97Audio.kext			AppleSMBIOS.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext			AppleVIAATA.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext			IOAHCIFamily.kext
AppleAPIC.kext				IOATAFamily.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext			IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
AppleGenericPCATA.kext			JMicronATA.kext
AppleHDA.kext				NVkush.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext	SMBIOSEnabler.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext			dsmos.kext

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R rev. 2.1.