Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

Im posting this from my nc6000 wpa enabled went from 10.4.3 to 10.4.4 using dvd install then updated to 10.4.5 airport was there but not turned on then i did the following

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and change "en0" to "en1" and "0" to "1" as below:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

After the change, reboot.

worked for me with w500 on nc6000

Thanks for checking and sharing this with us.

Unfortunatly it's not working for me.

nc6000 with a w400 card.

Changed everything above and than rebooted.

Checked and not working, than repair disk priv. and reboot.

Still not working.

Btw when everything was changed as above my wired LAN was not working either...

I got a cheap ($14.95 US) Airlink 101 PCI b/g card and used the kext and it worked like a charm (A logo on the box said Atheros Super G) No kext editing needed. The card is a AWLH4030 Super G™ Wireless PCI Adapter

i bought one of these and it worked without modding the plist. doesnt seem to work with WPA though. any suggestions?

I have a T43 Thinkpad with the IBM A/B/G II Atheros card.

It appears under in System Profiler - PCI cards as 168c 1014

I'm working from the 10.4.5 DVD - clean install.

At first the airport icon showed up next to the clock, but I couldnt set anything up or make it recognize that a wireless card exists.

I re-downloaded the 10.4.5 update and replaced the io8(something) kext. No work. Airport icon disapeared.

I tried replacing the IOnetwork kext from the 10.4.3 update and then the adapter disapeared from System Profiler. Replaced from the 10.4.5 update and nothing changed.

So whats the deal? Does anyone have this same card working?

Any suggestions?

Okay, I gave up and reinstalled. Everything worked okay on the first boot (but the airport icon still said Not Configured) and didnt after that.

I found something in a Broadcom thread that did work, at least temporarily:

in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources

there is a command line app called airport that I can use to connect. It wont survive a reboot and no GUIs show status or configuration. This means the driver is there and does work. Something just isnt talking.

Also, in the System Profiler, under AirPortAtheros5424, I get two messages:

com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: (same as ^^)

There are also dependency issues showing in the IO80211Family extension.

Again, this is using a fresh install on the new 10.4.5 patched install DVD. IBM T43 with IBM A/B/G II card.

Hope this helps make some progress. If anyone wants me to try something, let me know!

WPA more into - I checke while trying to connect to my HP AP, with WPA - TTLS/PAP

The AP shows my MAC Address as using Static WEP when trying to connect.

Not sure what this is actually telling me, but it appears as if the driver doesn't support the TYPE of WPA that my AP needs (AES)

I haven't tried switching my AP to TKIP as there are other users on, and switching them would be a real pain.

Anyhow, I will try to do some diags and post back later.

Sorry if this wastes someones time reading, but thought it might be useful to someone.

hm

Okay, I gave up and reinstalled. Everything worked okay on the first boot (but the airport icon still said Not Configured) and didnt after that.

I found something in a Broadcom thread that did work, at least temporarily:

in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources

there is a command line app called airport that I can use to connect. It wont survive a reboot and no GUIs show status or configuration. This means the driver is there and does work. Something just isnt talking.

Also, in the System Profiler, under AirPortAtheros5424, I get two messages:

com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: (same as ^^)

There are also dependency issues showing in the IO80211Family extension.

Again, this is using a fresh install on the new 10.4.5 patched install DVD. IBM T43 with IBM A/B/G II card.

Hope this helps make some progress. If anyone wants me to try something, let me know!

Thanks for the info, I'm getting this exact card on Monday, I'll test it out.

Has anyone tried this with Atheros a/b/g card, PCI 168c:1014? I'm looking at buying a card for my ThinkPad X41 Tablet, and I don't know of the 0013 card is compatible.

0013: here

1014: here

Just an update -- I did end up ordering the IBM 11a/b/g Wireless Lan Mini PCI Adapter II (PCI 168c:1014), and it works great. I had to do the en0->en1 adjustment mentioned in this post:

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and change "en0" to "en1" and "0" to "1" as below:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

After the change, reboot.

So was it the 73P4301 you ordered? And it works fine from the GUI?

Well, I receieved it as an FRU part (93P4262) because I had my card replaced before with a substitute Intel part. I just asked them to send me the correct one. It's the same card, AFAIK.

And yes, from the GUI. I had to make the en0-en1 change, then open 'Network' in System Preferences and it let me know that it found a new Airport card.

Just an update -- I did end up ordering the IBM 11a/b/g Wireless Lan Mini PCI Adapter II (PCI 168c:1014), and it works great. I had to do the en0->en1 adjustment mentioned in this post:

I have the same card on a T43 Thinkpad and this change just made the airport icon up by the clock go away. When set to en0, the icon appears, but says "not configured." I have to use the command line utility to connect to a network.

Any other ideas?

I have the same card on a T43 Thinkpad and this change just made the airport icon up by the clock go away. When set to en0, the icon appears, but says "not configured." I have to use the command line utility to connect to a network.

Any other ideas?

Did you go into network preferences? When I went there, it told me it had found a new card, and I had to accept the settings to begin using it. It also let me turn the airport icon back on.

I have problems getting my t40p atheros wireless to work...

it has a built in atheros 5211 mini pci a/b/g wlan card

I am also working on the new 10.4.5 patched install DVD

I did try the

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel io80211family.kext

and I did edit the

edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and change "en0" to "en1" and "0" to "1"

I even

-deleted the extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache from /system/library/

-opened Disk Utility and repair permissions on my osx86 hard disk and rebooted my machine

however, I did it with the drivers that came with the patched install DVD and I didn't download the new ones from the updates manually...

Did anyone with a t40p manage to get their atheros cards running or has anyone a suggestion what I could do else to get my wireless running?

thank you

however, I did it with the drivers that came with the patched install DVD and I didn't download the new ones from the updates manually...
It's the drivers that come with the 10.4.5 update that include support for the Atheros chipset. If you're not using that kext, it's not going to work.

I am using ibm x40 with Atheros AR5215 mini-pci card.

I just copied the IO80211Family.kext to /System/Library/Extension. The network card can be actived after reboot.

But after I changed the WLAN network preference settings at first time. The network preference cannot run again after reboot... always shown in "not responed.."

I have tried to remove the the IO80211Family.kext file from single user mode. The network settings backed to normal... but install the file again, the problem will happen again.

Anyone can help me?!

• 2 weeks later...

I have Toshiba laptop (see signature)... the wifi chipset is an Atheros. I need help:

- how can i get the exact chipset name?

- how can i get its vendor and product id?

I took the 10.4.5 IO80211 driver and copied it into my 10.4.3 8F1099 install. Then i made a few other attempts. One time, i did get another network adapter in System Profiler, but i couldn't get it in the System Preferences. I also tried to merge the old kext with the new ones... No way!

any idea?? thanx in advance,

joep

I gave up on Mac for my laptop for a while, but I'm ready to wrestle with it again. I upgraded it to 10.4.5, which is supposed to have the new drivers for Atheros. Well, it still won't work. I have the same vendor and device IDs as several other people, and mine does not work. Any clues why?

LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI adapter

Vendor ID: 168c

Device ID: 0013

If I need to provide more info just tell me. :P

Dax

You need the 80211 kext from 10.4.3 in order to get the atheros wireless drivers to work.

At least that was what I had to have with my HP nc6000 Laptop. HP W500 card.

OK, I think I get this.

10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext

10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext

I have a fresh install of 10.4.5 on a box with the same generic AirLink 101 card that a previous poster mentioned. Ergo, I need the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext. Where the heck can I find that?

I have my nc6000 with an install of 10.4.1 (which I know needs updating) but that won't help me. Any ideas? Someone feel free to forward the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext to my e-mail, jonathan DOT katz AT gmail DOT com. I will repay them with... I dunno, something? :idea: