Mac users' opinion on Hackintoshs

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

terrancew_hod

terrancew_hod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 89 posts
I currently own several macs in my home: a mac mini, powerbook and a powermac. In the process of upgrading all my macs to leopard my powerbook died leaving me with an extra licence from the family pack unused.

Now although I love Apple laptops, they are lacking when it comes to a midrange, expandable desktop system. Even employees at the Apple Store are stumped when I told them what I wanted to do with my machine (which isn't that hard); they recognize that you have to pay more than you have to in order to buy an expandable machine and you have to do all kinds of tricks to attempt to install no-brainer hardware like more memory or a faster hard drive on the cheaper items.

Apple also has a problem supporting their older hardware. You're basically out of luck from Apple if you want to install N network cards on first-gen Macbooks and the minis. Heck I'm going to have to pop open my mini with special tools to upgrade the memory just so I can meet the minimum requirement to install leopard and then the mini's don't support the 802.11n spec. I shouldn't have to basically buy a whole new laptop just to get something as simple as a new network card install that's supported by apple. And I won't go into all the older Mac Pro owners complaining because they are stuck with a ATI 1900XT as their main video card when Apple could very well give them the choice for a new card instead of making them buy a whole new system just to upgrade.

So that's where the hackintoshs come in; sure Apple doesn't like it, but then I don't like eating the cost of a license because I don't have equipment to install it on. I don't like to have to guess when to plan my Apple purchases so I don't buy something then two months later a new feature is added that I have no chance of getting. So now that I have my Hackintosh up and going, I can do simple things such as install multiple versions of an OS by popping out the hard drive, or upgrading my wireless without having to haul my whole system down to the Apple store and hope they support upgrading it.

I'll still get my new Macbook Pro later this year, but I'm happy have a desktop machine that meets my needs.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
My dad just got a dual G5 machine with a Geforce 7800 from a friend. It is nice, it's fast, so this is what I'm comparing a hack to.

Hackintosh computers are good. It's a good alternative to Windows if you know what you're doing. As for the mac part, I've always liked Mac OS features. But, as much as I think Osx86 is nice, it's not really mac. It is, but it isn't.

QuietOC

QuietOC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

I like Linux due to its superior configurability (way cooler than Mac or Windows) and have made it play nice with my networked Mac OS X minis. So for me, hacking a UMPC that already runs Linux is not much of a risk. (In fact, if more commercial software was available for Linux, I'd reconsider jumping-ship!)

It is possible to run the Linux desktop managers (KDE/Gnome) on OSX. I had KDE3 running on my G4 with all the KDE applications running alongside OSX applications. They are currently attempting to port KDE4 to Windows of all things. The line between OSes is blurring everyday.

Apple offers nothing in the sub-notebook department, but that is what I need... something cheap that will fit my camera bag.

If you want something cheap--$80~$175, I like my Handheld PC--a NEC Mobile Pro 900C: 400MHz Intel XScale, Windows CE.NET 4.2. Smaller then the Eee PC with a bigger keyboard and a touch screen. There are some pictures here comparing the Asus Eee PC, NEC Mobile Pro 900C, and the HP Jornada 720. These old Handheld PCs can run JLime Linux. I run a user modified CE.NET that allows me to run most newer Windows Mobile software on the 900C.

Actually the processor in the NEC issimilartothe one found in the iPhone/iPod Touch so it might be possible to run the iPhone versionof OSX on it. I wonder if anyone is working on that.

pablovbas

pablovbas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Im mac user since system 8 (I work in graphic design) in my job Im stuck with my imac g5, but, personally, Im not a purist, i love the mac computer design, but i love my hackintosh and if you have patience to find drivers for your hack, if you see your monitor its the same thing :P, my boss bought an macbook pro (intel core 2 duo 2,2 ghz, 2gb ram, geforce 8600) one month ago, Im testing that machine and my hackintosh runs pretty similar, I can afford a new mac and hackintosh its a good choice for me (because i dont like windows) :P

pabs :devil:

germike

germike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Well for me it's the price thing, i wanted a laptop with a 15 inch screen for reasonable money. Apple charges 1899 Euro (inclusive tax which is 19% here..) for a laptop with 15inch. Acer charges 379 euro, added 1gigabyte for 14 euro and now i have a 393 euro 15,4inch laptop with OSX. The cpu is no dual core, but for what i do with a laptop you would not know the difference anyway.

hackingtosh is the only way to go if you are a bit cost concious, saved me 1500 euro ! That's 25.000 dollars ! :)

Ongeloof

Ongeloof

Irrevocably Insane

• Donators
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:Your moma.
This seems a bit of a controversial issue, that many users will take offense to and others will find funny, and being a Mac and ex-hackintosh user, i feel i have fair... Understanding for both sides.

To me now, i do feel ashamed and always will of PC's in general, and vow never to look back to one again, installing OS X on a PC is Moderately ok, until you can afford a Mac, but you should first buy a license for OS X... before you download.

I don't think i will user a hackintosh again, as i find them, compared to my shiny iMac, "Dirty"....
It is like a recent article, Mac users are snobs, and now being one, i thrive on every opportunity to rub my friends noses in it that i don't get BSOD, viruses, mailware/spyware and my computer works.

Some fair points, maybe a bit one sided, but hey, how gives one..

Think Mark

EDIT: and i really don't care much on price of Apple products, and its their choice on price. I would pay anything for them...
:P

EDIT:

hackingtosh is the only way to go if you are a bit cost concious, saved me 1500 euro ! That's 25.000 dollars

OK, so Hackingtosh, has no G... & secondly 1500 Euro is 2,223.823USD......

germike

germike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

1) and i really don't care much on price of Apple products, and its their choice on price. I would pay anything for them...

2) OK, so Hackingtosh, has no G... & secondly 1500 Euro is 2,223.823USD......

1) Apple = 100% pc parts nowadays If paying over the top for a bunch of OEM products in a shiny case is your thing, go right ahead.

2) the 1500 euro = 25000 dollars sentence is known as a "joke". Joke = trying to be funny by exaggeration and/or nonsense. Try a few it's fun :)

Flowero4ka

Flowero4ka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Sorry, maybe I've already asked you - but tell me what Hakintoch mean? Maс I know, but what does letter 'H" in the beginning mean?

RouteZeroDesign

RouteZeroDesign

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Flower- a hackintosh is a pc running mac osx.

Personally i think its a good idea, its more users on the platform and its a good stepping stone into full on mac hardware.

The reason i am building a hackintosh is because, if i go and buy a macpro, 3 months down the road it could be obsolete....thats it game over.

But with a hackintosh, if a new processor comes out or a new motherboard is available, i dont have to trade in my system and buy a new one, i can just upgrade my old one.

Also, as a designer, if you give me two options, (forgetting about price) build or buy something, i will generally choose build everytime.

Thaddeus Smith

Thaddeus Smith

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The problem is that many people view owning a Mac as a status elevator. Like owning Oakley sunglasses back in the 90's (and how "true" owners scoffed at all the people with the knockoffs) the cost of production was the same and the quality wasnt any different.

Apple has cashed in on the "haves and have nots" attitude. I personally have both ..a MBP and an old dell precision running 10.5.1. So what am I? Am I a cheap {censored} because I chose to spend $120 upgrading my laptop to 4GB of memory and didnt want to pay $400 at the time of ordering?

I like the hardware, I like the OS ...I dont care how I get either to work for me.

( i stopped reading after page 1; sorry if this is a redundant thought)

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

1) Apple = 100% pc parts nowadays If paying over the top for a bunch of OEM products in a shiny case is your thing, go right ahead.

2) the 1500 euro = 25000 dollars sentence is known as a "joke". Joke = trying to be funny by exaggeration and/or nonsense. Try a few it's fun :P

So hold on a minute, do you think Apple just stick it in a premade cheap case like PC's?, so the design of the iMac where the hardware is in the screen doesn't cost more than a PC case?

It's not like PC makers charge the same prices for all their parts, go get HP memory and see how much they charge you.

germike

germike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

So hold on a minute, do you think Apple just stick it in a premade cheap case like PC's?, so the design of the iMac where the hardware is in the screen doesn't cost more than a PC case?

It's not like PC makers charge the same prices for all their parts, go get HP memory and see how much they charge you.

Don't know about the UK but many many people here in Germany build their own pc's as that's a lot cheaper than getting prebuild one. I do it myself too of course. Here is the list of the functional equivalent of an base model imac. It's not to be pendentic, it's just to show how cheap pc parts are nowadays :

I am aware that the end results looks much less appealing than a shiny new imac, however there are advantages too. Something wrong, change the component. Want more add more and so on. pLus most components have a way longer warranty than apple's.

- 20inch tn screen : 171 euro
- keyboard + mouse : 20 euro
- 1gb ddr2-667 : 18 euro
- 250gb sata harddisk : 47 euro
- dvd writer : 28 euro
- ati hd2400xt : 35 euro
- webcam, bluetooth, wireless receiver : 50 euro total
- 2 crappy speakers : 19 euro
- core2duo 2ghz boxed : 105
- p35-775 motherboard 65 euro
- miditower 350watt : 34 euro

thereisyourfunctionalequivalentofthebasemodelimacfor592euro's,orhalfprice.Ifyou want to have peace of mind add 129 euro for a legal copy of leopard.

All prices are inclusive 19% german sales tax.

Again i do not aim to offend, just to show how much more you pay just for the nice case.

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Don't know about the UK but many many people here in Germany build their own pc's as that's a lot cheaper than getting prebuild one. I do it myself too of course. Here is the list of the functional equivalent of an base model imac. It's not to be pendentic, it's just to show how cheap pc parts are nowadays :

I am aware that the end results looks much less appealing than a shiny new imac, however there are advantages too. Something wrong, change the component. Want more add more and so on.

- 20inch tn screen : 171 euro
- keyboard + mouse : 20 euro
- 1gb ddr2-667 : 18 euro
- 250gb sata harddisk : 47 euro
- dvd writer : 28 euro
- ati hd2400xt : 35 euro
- webcam, bluetooth, wireless receiver : 50 euro total
- 2 crappy speakers : 19 euro
- core2duo 2ghz boxed : 105
- p35-775 motherboard 65 euro
- miditower 350watt : 34 euro

thereisyourfunctionalequivalentofthebasemodelimacfor592euro's,orhalfprice.Ifyou want to have peace of mind add 129 euro for a legal copy of leopard.

All prices are inclusive 19% german sales tax.

Again i do not aim to offend, just to show how much more you pay just for the nice case.

Your just not getting what I'm saying, it's not the point you can build your own and it's cheap. You pay Apple for building it, testing it, designing it and manufacturing it, they will always charge more based on how they manufacture it, costs and need to make a profit. Do you happen to know what prices Apple get their CPU from Intel for?, cheapwe than PC's, do they have to pay more because they dont buy in bulk as many as OEM PC makers?

QuietOC

QuietOC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
I just ordered 8GB of memory for my Hackintosh for $126 after rebate!

Quackit

Quackit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I just ordered 8GB of memory for my Hackintosh for $126 after rebate!

First of all.. you suck, and I'm jealous.

Second, and more on-topic, I'm almost for both sides.

I used to own a FW800 Dual 1.25 MDD till I sold it on eBay to buy my hackintosh parts :rolleyes:

Are Macs overpriced? I'd say so. Even after paying the overpriced amount, is it worth it? To most, yes.

Hackintosh's, though, are getting more and more 100% stable/supported(driver-wise, etc.). You can even overclock them much easier since you control all of the hardware (If you're in to that sort of thing).

In the end, paying less for more is what it's all about.

To some, though.. the Apple {censored} just tastes better if it comes in a pretty package.

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
It's funny how the hackintosh people are saying they can run OS X on a PC cheaper than a Mac, yer I can make a car like a ferrari to only quarter of the price. :censored2:

Most of the hackintosh people have no intension of buying a Mac, so it's a null and void comment.

Quackit

Quackit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

It's funny how the hackintosh people are saying they can run OS X on a PC cheaper than a Mac, yer I can make a car like a ferrari to only quarter of the price. :censored2:

Most of the hackintosh people have no intension of buying a Mac, so it's a null and void comment.

Except that I owned a Mac and paid full price for it.. and enjoyed it even. So my comment still counts :P

The reason that I say that I'm almost for both sides, is that if I had the money to burn, I'd gladly buy a Mac from Apple over a Hackintosh.

Buying a Hackintosh, however, let's me buy more than salt and crackers for dinner... or, relistically, lets me blow the rest of the money on {censored} I don't need :blink:

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Your not buying a hackintosh, your buying a PC and putting OS X on, you can't "Buy" a hackintosh, thats just stupid.

QuietOC

QuietOC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Your not buying a hackintosh, your buying a PC and putting OS X on, you can't "Buy" a hackintosh, thats just stupid.

If that's the case, I've never owned a Windows PC!

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Who said anything about a Windows PC, there's no such thing anyway. You can put Windows on it but it dont make it a Windows PC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy