New Mac Pros Announced on Jan 8 2008

Numberzz

131 posts in this topic

WHY WOULD YOU NEED 32GB OF RAM?

Either you are running multiple virtualizations, or you're compensating for a lack in a certain personal area.

I'm going to go price one out...I was planning on a Gateway Quad Core, but this might change my mind.

nice. apple is finally moving to a higher mem and fsb speed too.. though i wish they were using 1066 for the memory speed

still, nice to have that speed upgrade.. hopefully the new laptops have the same or similar speed increases. especially with pc's moving into ddr3 territory this year

Gosh, i am totally interested in the new Mac Pros

but doesnt it mean we can buy a GeForce 8800GTX to replace the display card and do SLI with it??

i mean if Mac allows a high end display such as GeForce 8800GT to be on the comp, im guessing that they know we're gona play SLI / Crossfire right?

but doesnt it mean we can buy a GeForce 8800GTX to replace the display card and do SLI with it??

i mean if Mac allows a high end display such as GeForce 8800GT to be on the comp, im guessing that they know we're gona play SLI / Crossfire right?

Hopefully the ROM taken from the 8800GT will allow, in a round about way, this to be possible. I don't expect SLI to ever work on a MacPro, simply because very few game developers develop for the Mac, so the need for 3D acceleration of that kind just isn't there.

I just ordered an iMac to go with my Mac Pro, but my Mac Pro quad my soon wind up on eBay. Dual quad 2.8s with faster frontside bus and and a 2600xt that can handle 2 dual dvi's sounds good for the price. I don't see any mention of bluetooth on the apple site. Is it standard or did I just miss it?

It's so funny and (just {censored}) that they deck this awesome thing out with 8 cores and put a puny 320GB hard drive in.

How much more is a 500GB, like $20? I just can not comprehend it? 500GB HD's just sound and feel better. Its an even number - so if you 4 then you have a terabyte. Now if you want a terabyte on this baby you are going to have to scrap the 320 or get some expensive 750s or 1TBs.... JOKE!

They think they "know pro" they think they no power. They don't. They're just damn good at imitating it.

They think they "know pro" they think they no power. They don't. They're just damn good at imitating it.

I see what you're saying here, Apple is always selling underpowered computers. However, compared to their past Mac Pros (which were very, very overpriced) the new Mac Pro is a terrific deal! Also, HD space isn't that important. If you were going to complain about HDs, why not complain about 7,200RPM as the standard speed, rather than 10,000RPM or 15,000RPM? Plus, they need to come out with a liquid cooled mac (like the G5) sometime soon. With two 3.2 Ghz quad cores, a 15,000RPM HD and an 8800GT I bet the current/new Mac Pro is roasting!

\Plus, they need to come out with a liquid cooled mac (like the G5) sometime soon. With two 3.2 Ghz quad cores, a 15,000RPM HD and an 8800GT I bet the current/new Mac Pro is roasting!

i'd hope they do a better job with liquid cooling this time around, i wouldnt want a repeat of the 2.7ghz towers that leaked

It's GETTING more competitive, but it's not quite there yet :P

Good to see they're using the 8800 series, though I'm surprised they haven't added a more serious ATI card than the 2600XT :/

as for the 32GBs of ram.... well, lol, the compensation theory sounds viable to me :P Although, someone came up with a new, QUAD HD format, so they could be looking forward to something actually able to work with it, without requiring a farm of PCs in a storeroom. :P

Can i know where else that i can find an overpriced computer like that?

Come on! 500 bucks for two 1 GB RAM? 550 bucks for a 1TB HD? With the full configuration, i could buy a CAR!

But come to think of it, i'd buy one, just for showing off.....

Good to see they're using the 8800 series, though I'm surprised they haven't added a more serious ATI card than the 2600XT :/

I know! The 2600 is not a 'pro' card. C'mon Apple, why didn't you use the 3850/70 as the default?!

Apple, you have my attention. :D

Yep, for the first time ever (In my case, this is the first time I've ever really wanted a Mac. OS X I've always drooled over!)

It's GETTING more competitive, but it's not quite there yet

Hopefully by the next generation/revision they'll be priced like a Dell or HP (i.e. a good deal :D). Still, in terms of price to performance this is a huge step over the last Mac Pro.