New Mac Pros Announced on Jan 8 2008

Numberzz

131 posts in this topic

Worst myth ever, well sencond worst, first worst is the TPM on Macs

Actually I agree that Macs are genereally overpriced, it's just this new Mac Pro that seems to be not. Unless I haven't looked up the right prices. Of course only if you take the base model, upgrades prices are just totally out of proportion anyway.

Worst myth ever, well sencond worst, first worst is the TPM on Macs

I tried searching 'TPM' came out with a bunch of related results? What does 'TPM' mean?

And as for as mentioned above, a Mac Pro being overpriced...I'd say not, getting the 2.8 GHz processor alone elsewhere to build an equivalent hack would cost 2/3 a price of a Mac Pro, and that's the processors alone. For what is paid and the time put into one, I'd rather go with a Mac Pro, hands down.

Also, what brand TB drives are the Mac Pro's using? I know the MacBooks came out with Fujitsu, my iMac is a Western Digital...Like i've mentioned before, I'm curious to know what specific hardware and brands Apple uses in their systems.

Besides the HD2600 and the ram pricing(which is always expensive.) the Macpro with the single quad core 2.8 ghz xeon is a good deal.

However, it isn't a fact that the Macpro is overpriced or not, it's just based on what people thinks is worth the money, or not.

None of the Mac Pros are or were overpriced, prove it, put the prices of the parts here, and don't put cheap parts, because 3 dollar keyboard/mouse can't compare the same quality.

It's not a fact though something is cheap, exspensive, or overpriced. To me, when the first Macpro series came out, I did think it was a little bit pricy, but a fair price for everything that came with it. But then near time about the past couple of months, I wouldn't pay for what came with it. The new macpros, {censored} if I had the money right now I'd buy one without thinking about it. The actual value the parts in the Mac for what you pay for is cheap, but you have to think of what the customer thinks of as cheap, or not.

However for the HD2600, personally I would never pay for one that much. But the ones I would pay for, don't work with mac. So with that, you really aren't paying for the video card, you paying for what the video card supports.

• 2 months later...
But are they really? Have you done the math? I just ask because the processors and a mainboard alone would cost around $1700. Quickly checked on Newegg.

The issue of overpriced isn't so much what you get for the money, as the lack of something between a mini and a mac pro. My use case at work: I have dual 20" monitors. A mini won't do that. An iMac is not an IT friendly option since the display will outlive the computer (it's also not a good option for anyone who already OWNS good displays). My job is a software developer. I don't need to render videos on my workstation. If Apple would release a desktop that had mild expandability (ie you can add a video card other than intel integrated), while being a more modest Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad instead of a Quad or Octo Xeon, and such a system was in a more modest $1200-$1500 price range, people wouldn't think they were as overpriced.

-Josh

So the iMac is not a Desktop, whoa, never seen carryng cases for iMacs ;) or are they rack servers?

Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter

or that does not count either, because its own monitor is not a monitor... sheesh :)

the imac is a laptop mounted on a big screen. its not a desktop. its not practical. its not expandible. i cant upgrade it. it wastes money on the monitor - i may not want to use the apple lcd included.

Actually I agree. The iMac is a glorified laptop.

the imac is a laptop mounted on a big screen. its not a desktop. its not practical. its not expandible. i cant upgrade it. it wastes money on the monitor - i may not want to use the apple lcd included.

and yes, there ARE carrying cases for imacs.

An iMac is not a desktop?.So it is portable...Oh,that is why a see a lot of people sending e-mail on the bakery (on their iMac) :(

and yes, there ARE carrying cases for imacs.

Same with the Mac Mini. Mac mini uses no real desktop parts.

Aren't the iMacs between mini and pro?

That is what Apple would tell you. But:

* If you already own a nice monitor, then an iMac is not a good option as you are paying for a monitor you don't need.

* If you already own two nice monitors, then an iMac is a worse option because you're paying for a monitor you can't *USE*

* If you already own a 30" monitor, and iMac won't work at all... the external DVI is not dual link

* If you own two 30" monitors (heh heh), it REALLY won't work.

* If you don't want to throw your perfectly good 24" display out 3 years later when the computer is dated, an iMac is not a good option*

Basically the iMac is flawed unless you need/want the attached display. Which brings us to nothing desktop between a mini (integrated graphics, only one display, and not dual link), and a mac pro (a nice machine, but I don't need octo-xeons -- or a motherboard capable of supporting two quad core CPUs in the case of the quad downgrade option). A smaller desktop, with interchangable graphics card, user upgradeable ram and hard disk, powered by a single Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad CPU that would price in the $1200-$1500 range would fill a void in Apple's product line, and would go a long way towards quelling the "macs are over priced" crowd.

-Josh

* example, say you had one of these from 2004:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac...1.25_20_fp.html

You'd have a dying 1.25GHz G4 with a max of 1GB of RAM... permanently attached to a perfectly good 20" 1680x1050 monitor. Apple retail price on such a display: $599 (ok, you can get similar Dell for $250, but the bottom line is that the display is still modern, but the computer is dated.)

This is the only reason why I can get my cost conscience company to put a mac on my desk. a mini won't work, a mac pro is too costly, and the iMacs have the above display is thrown out with the computer problem.

jesus dude

I cannot imagine a mac pro with 32gigs of ram ;)

if with 2 to 4gb+ you can open heavy apps faster as 5sec or less, so with this amount of ram the application will open before you click on it in dock, lol

but the price :/ not for mortals or at least for very rich people.

The iMac is made from Laptop components, yes, but they actually give it some notable advantages, such as super-low power consumption and very quiet performance. It's actually just about the quietest computer you can buy! It's quite fast too, 2.0-2.8 ghz Core 2 Duo is fast enough for me. I agree though it is unfortunate that the only mid-range desktop is an all-in-one.

super-low power consumption and very quiet performance

This is what will compel me to buy an Imac. And the Imacs, for the most part are fairly priced. Would I ever buy one? No. I want a desktop, that I can upgrade. Now for family, yes since the Imac is easy.