New Mac Pros Announced on Jan 8 2008

Numberzz

131 posts in this topic

I whole heartedly agree that the new Mac pros are great VFM...now....but just wait for a couple of months and they will not seem so. Intel always introduces the latest and the greatest through apple and apple won't change the prices for a pretty long time. But that not what will happen in the PC market and you will be able to build a hackintosh which will seem like quite a bargain in like six months from now.

The hack macs are the reason why I got into macs in the first place and even though I have owned a MacPro Quad for over a year now (Exclusively Edit suite use) I was never into macs!

Thank god for hackintosh (and all the wonderful people who enabled us). I am a mac convert but will never buy into un-upgradable {censored} that apple tries to shut us into.

But having said that I still want the new Macpro :(

For those of us who can afford to use the Mac Pro as a an everyday use machine, and enjoy playing games in Windows (under bootcamp), the lack of an upgrade path for the GPU is unacceptable. This situation also applies to the "professional" users as well. I won't go into it here, simply because I don't want to spend the time, but follow some of the links in my previous post for some enlightenment on this topic. Anyway, Had I realized when I purchased my "upgradeable" Mac Pro that Apple would not bother to provide me or any Mac Pro owners with a better GPU option (the 400.00 ATI x1900 is {censored}), there's no way I would have bought the system, or switched over at all. Thinking: "Hey, it's Intel hardware, I should be able to pop a new GPU in anytime I choose, no problem." I suppose it's my fault for assuming that Apple would provide drivers and/or an upgrade path that didn't involve having to purchase an entirely new system just to obtain a new GPU... If I wanted that kind of situation, I would have purchased an iMac.

Running a hackintosh, even though I agree that it's a pain in the ass, is the only real way to ensure your not pigeonholed into Apple hardware.

So what is this?: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...mp;mco=CB3ECC1C

So true...

Really? :( look again...

So what is this?: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...mp;mco=CB3ECC1C

Really? :) look again...

This is for people who bought the new Mac Pro with the HD2600XT in it and WANTS the 8800GT for later.

You know, today you go to the applestore, and they only have HD2600XT Mac Pros.. So you decide to buy it... But in 1 month (or less) you finally decide to put a 8800GT. So what are you doing ? Well you ORDER your 8800GT on the link you just gave me.

Have a nice day :)

Btw it's been confirmed it has a 64BIT EFI ROM, just like the 8600M GT in the MacBook Pro, so IT WON'T WORK on old Mac Pro that have 32bit EFI.

sure, but "NOW" there is a "an upgrade path" so no "lack of an upgrade path for the GPU" anymore, with the new Mac Pros.

So your point is no loger valid, of course, again, with the new Mac Pros.

I can say the same when I bought my las Pentium IV Motherboard when the next month the Graphics Slot changed from AGP to a PCI-E, I was left of ""upgrade path" for that PC and I need to bought a "NEW" one to get "NEW" Graphics.

Dou you still want to watch Beta videocassettes with an "upgraded path" cassette recorder?

That is the source of the bitchiness. :-) That card is not compatible with the "Old" Mac Pro, only with the newly released system.

This thread is for the New Mac Pros Announced as far as I know, not to the old ones.

Yeah, I suppose that I am little macBitchy -_-

Sorry macgirl but you are totally wrong : the problem isn't PCIe 1.0 or 2.0 or AGP or whatever, the thing is GeForce 8800GT RUNS on PCIe 1.0 slots (on PC !), it just won't run on the Mac Pro because of crappy EFI safety they put to fool us hackintosh users... Well they actually don't {censored} us since we got this running already, but they are actually fooling REAL Mac Pro customers which is a shame IMO.

And what about the new Mac Pro ? Well NVIDIA will do a GeForce 9 series real soon... What if Apple makes a new Mac Pro (won't happen anyway that soon) and the GeForce 9 isn't backward compatible ? Well you don't know this. Maybe the same {censored} will happen with the next Mac Pro... People thought the old one would be upgradable GPU-wise ; well it isn't.

My point is ANY PCIe motherboard can support the 8800GT on a PC ; the old Mac Pro IS PCIe compliant (7300GT, X1900 are PCIe) and though it CAN'T support the same 8800GT PCIe model on Mac.. You can't compare the old Mac Pro to a P4 ! It's still one of the best computer out there with PCIe support, etc. Don't you think it's a shame ? Really I don't understand this ! Why would LEGAL customers be {censored}ed up because of Apple incompetence ?

I surely WON'T buy any Mac Pro thinking I can be {censored}ed up when a new one is available. And I'm glad I can update my HACKINTOSH from a 7300GT to a 8800GT without being {censored}ed up.

Yeah sure, YOU don't care about gaming, but our point is Apple is lying to their customers. Some people just wanna upgrade their GPU card, that's all. Now they are {censored}ed up so I don't really know why you should defend Apple, because they messed this one up and I feel sad for people who just bought an old Mac Pro thinking they would be able to update their GPU card whenever a new Mac Pro is out.

Apple will resolve the GPU Fiasco with a firmware upgrade for sure because, the 'older' Mac pro was where a lot of people switched to Macs and they don't want to attract the ire of ex-pc users, believe me cause they are a bitchy lot!

Its really a simple firmware incompatibility issue. The ati card (2600xt) already has both the 32 bit and the 64 bit roms in it, and works fine on the new and the old mac pros. Only a matter of time I say lets give apple a bit of time.

On a side note I think the mac pro cheese grater looks desperately needs an upgrade. Sweet machine inside though.Great VFM.

Edit Steve Jobs reply on the 8800GT issue Click:

Sorry macgirl but you are totally wrong : the problem isn't PCIe 1.0 or 2.0 or AGP or whatever, the thing is GeForce 8800GT RUNS on PCIe 1.0 slots (on PC !), it just won't run on the Mac Pro because of crappy EFI safety they put to fool us hackintosh users... Well they actually don't {censored} us since we got this running already, but they are actually fooling REAL Mac Pro customers which is a shame IMO.

And what about the new Mac Pro ? Well NVIDIA will do a GeForce 9 series real soon... What if Apple makes a new Mac Pro (won't happen anyway that soon) and the GeForce 9 isn't backward compatible ? Well you don't know this. Maybe the same {censored} will happen with the next Mac Pro... People thought the old one would be upgradable GPU-wise ; well it isn't.

My point is ANY PCIe motherboard can support the 8800GT on a PC ; the old Mac Pro IS PCIe compliant (7300GT, X1900 are PCIe) and though it CAN'T support the same 8800GT PCIe model on Mac.. You can't compare the old Mac Pro to a P4 ! It's still one of the best computer out there with PCIe support, etc. Don't you think it's a shame ? Really I don't understand this ! Why would LEGAL customers be {censored}ed up because of Apple incompetence ?

I surely WON'T buy any Mac Pro thinking I can be {censored}ed up when a new one is available. And I'm glad I can update my HACKINTOSH from a 7300GT to a 8800GT without being {censored}ed up.

Yeah sure, YOU don't care about gaming, but our point is Apple is lying to their customers. Some people just wanna upgrade their GPU card, that's all. Now they are {censored}ed up so I don't really know why you should defend Apple, because they messed this one up and I feel sad for people who just bought an old Mac Pro thinking they would be able to update their GPU card whenever a new Mac Pro is out.

She was just saying that the same thing happened to her only with different items.

She was just saying that the same thing happened to her only with different items.

Oh, didn't know macgirl had a "few Mac Pro" and the same EFI thing happened already...

You guys don't seem to understand it's a SPECIFIC EFI problem in the Mac Pro, you can't have this problem ELSEWHERE. On "different" items.

I'm done with this topic anyway. Hopefuly this answer is from Steve Jobs himself and he is really looking into the matter with Apple. For now, I feel sad for old Mac Pro users, and if you don't then, I'm fine.

BTW, I'm not an Apple hater or something like that : I have 4 iPhone there and a MacBook Pro. But I won't support Apple on this Mac Pro matter, they screwed up on this one, and you won't hear me saying otherwise until they fix the problem.

Any old Mac Pro user will tell you the same... Why do you think there are lots of topics / petitions on the net ? Because people are happy about their old Mac Pro ?...

And no, it won't be supported on G5 since G5 is AGP and G92 is PCIe 1.0 / 2.0.

Even though I can afford a Mac Pro, I'm not an idiot and can read the guides (most of which are on this very board) on building a Hack Pro, which requires little-to-no effort to build, and install Leopard (which is a snap, especially with PC-EFI).

It's a shame that even the moderators view hackintoshes as a "pain in the ass", when the OSX86 community has advanced so much and made it easy enough for non-savvy users to take advantage of OSX86. Maintenance on today's Hackintoshes are null. I think it's just overall laziness.

In the time that most of you people spend on these boards, you could have built several Hack Pros for $1000+ less than an Apple branded one.

Mac Pro's are overpriced, bar none. I'm on a MacBook, but you'll never see me on an Apple desktop.

Oh, didn't know macgirl had a "few Mac Pro" and the same EFI thing happened already...

You guys don't seem to understand it's a SPECIFIC EFI problem in the Mac Pro, you can't have this problem ELSEWHERE. On "different" items.

I'm done with this topic anyway. Hopefuly this answer is from Steve Jobs himself and he is really looking into the matter with Apple. For now, I feel sad for old Mac Pro users, and if you don't then, I'm fine.

BTW, I'm not an Apple hater or something like that : I have 4 iPhone there and a MacBook Pro. But I won't support Apple on this Mac Pro matter, they screwed up on this one, and you won't hear me saying otherwise until they fix the problem.

Any old Mac Pro user will tell you the same... Why do you think there are lots of topics / petitions on the net ? Because people are happy about their old Mac Pro ?...

And no, it won't be supported on G5 since G5 is AGP and G92 is PCIe 1.0 / 2.0.

Alright buddy, you need to calm the {censored} down. I think we all understood what the {censored} you meant the first time you bitched about {censored} alright? Macgirl was just {censored} saying that she bought something and then something new came out like a month later, which is EXACTLY what the {censored} your bitching about. The same {censored} thing. So no I wasn't talking about some {censored} EFI issue you have. I could give a {censored} less. I was saying that the same thing happened to her, she bought something then got {censored}ed over, but it happened with a different item than yours. Learn to {censored} read douche.