EFI finally mastered. OS X booted with an UNMODIFIED kernel.

Dr. Hurt

359 posts in this topic

Netkas has modified the darwin bootloader to enable it to directly boot the UNMODIFIED EFI kernel that apple uses on real macs.

Not to discount Netkas's excellent progress, in no way does this represent a complete "mastery" of EFI as your thread title states. A true master of EFI would also be able to use Apple's EFI firmware options like boot selector, target disk mode and bootcamp.

Not to discount Netkas's excellent progress, in no way does this represent a complete "mastery" of EFI as your thread title states. A true master of EFI would also be able to use Apple's EFI firmware options like boot selector, target disk mode and bootcamp.

Yeah, I think you're right. I just said that because it's the only sentence that came to my mind when I read the blog. Maybe I should change the title to EFI finally hacked" or "works"... Any suggestions?!

moderators... feel free to modify the title if it's misleading. I'm not a native English speaker. :)

Maybe I should change the title to EFI finally hacked" or "works"... Any suggestions?!

moderators... feel free to modify the title if it's misleading. I'm not a native English speaker. :)

Don't worry about it so much, it's no big deal. There is a lot of confusion about what EFI is and such, so I just wanted to point this out.

We have an EFI project here, while Netkas certainly is making significant progress towards that project's goals, he certainly has not finished all work on EFI, which may require real EFI firmware (not EFI firmware that emulates BIOS) for EFI motherboards like those from Intel.

OK Thanks,

That's only if you use the -core2 optimization flag.

So thats controllable when compiling your code.

I'm not sure if it's added by default by XCode or Apple-specific optimisations when compiling for AMD64 on OS X, but even if it's not, we can expect people compiling 64-bit apps for OS X to use it because there's no reason not to except Hackintosh users...

O.K. We have released it. (OHAI Hagar)

DISCLAIMER: You need Core 2. You need to not be a n00b. You need to remove NVRAM plugin from EFIRuntime.

Put in Stock Kernel. Still need dsmos for decryption atm (soon to be fixed).

And... You can use ALL vanilla kexts. :(.

If this messes up ur computer, dont blame us, is still very new atm.

oh, and available at irc.osx86.hu in #leopard channel, the last link in the topic.

/me waits to see Hagar on hu :(

Yes, i agree 100%

hey can anyone tell if my dell d620 with an old core duo (not core 2 duo) has hpet and if it will work with this bootloader?

The chipset has hpet support not the CPU. This bootloader can even work with any cpu, the kernel is the picky guy about CPUs.

Very n00b question (sorry but I couldn't resist :mellow:).

What this represents for a noob OSx86 user? That we would be able to use unmodified OS X kernel and extensions and to update our OS straigth from Apple without any problems (assuming you have the compatible hardware)? Just help me understand.

OK, now I REALLY want a new computer with a core 2 cpu but I don't have enough money. :mellow:

I'll buy a new motherboard this week, but the cpu will have to wait till my exam results are published for my parents to give me money. This looks really good. I can't wait to see what else will happen in the future.