Introduce Yourself

Swad

213 posts in this topic

Well, it's about time I got around to posting here. Let me start by giving you this link, for anybody that hasn't been there. http://www.apple-history.com/ This site has all the information you could ever want on all the hardware that Apple has ever sold. That covers from the first Apple, to the Core Duo machines now, and all the iPods and everything... It's fun to sort by processor and see the evolution :D

About me. I have always felt an intuitive connection with computers. When I was 6 years old, my dad bought our family a Mac Plus. Within days, I knew more about the machine than anyone in the family, and my father's company used Macs at work! Soon enough, I was given a used Apple IIc of my own, so everyone else could use the Mac :D When I was older, I graduated to a Mac LC II for high school. It was the mid nineties, but I had never had internet access of my own until I went to college. When I got there, I found that the school used nothing but their own version of UNIX on campus, and became used to using Sun Sparc, Sparc IIs, etc. It was great when I started doing work for the Media Lab there, and was assigned a 'time share' of sorts, on my own Silicon Graphics Octane machine. Now that was some serious power at the time.

All along, however, I was confined to using my personal PC - my first Windows machine ever. I had bought a Dell Pentium 233MHz, since almost everyone had PC's as their personal computers. I missed my Mac. Since then I have gained more experience through using PC's through the transition from '95 to '98 (and ME yuck) to XP and such. I find that my biggest interest is in Networking. Between larger jobs as a Networking Consultant, I get by at the moment on smaller, computer 'odd jobs' and such. Right now, I'm looking for a more permanent form of employment. That's probably why I have so much free time to sit at my computer and be active on this forum. Although, it doesn't help me pay the bills :)

By the time I 'found' Mac again this past December, I knew virtually nothing about it's current system. I had jumped from Mac System 6, straight to OS X 10.4.1. I have to say, this forum (and of course the work by Maxxuss and others) has been the best thing that has happened to my personal computing experience since going to college, and discovering the world of UNIX based Operating Systems. I am ecstatic to be a part of this community, and I value the inputs of each and every member here (even if a rare few of them {censored} me off to no end :dev: )

Today, I run my main machine (in my signature) built from scratch 2 years ago. I have currently been running nothing but 10.4.3 8F1111A on it (without rebooting into XP) for almost 2 weeks straight without a single crash or restart. I also have an IBM Thinkpad T30 that goes everywhere with me, and 2 older IBM Pentium II machines set up as servers. One for internal filesharing and BitTorrent, and the other as an FTP server. I have two very loving cats, am in the process of finding a new room mate, and my very happy VW passat station wagon :D If only I could get the VW to run OS X, it would be an awesome add on to its VR6 powerhouse. I love all kinds of music, and I'm a big fan of independant movies. My avatar is from the movie Pi by Darren Aranofsky (also did Requiem for a Dream). I watch too much TV, and smoke too many cigarettes. I can't think of much else, so thanks for reading if you made it this far... :weight_lift:

I'm Alex - 23- recently married- from midwest U.S. My wife and I are expecting our first child any day now - -

I, of course, enjoy computers and technology- I'm mainly interested in the ideas of online collaboration - I spent quite a bit of time pondering an idea of making music online - (essentially "jamming" using Skype) - I think there is a lot that can be accomplished through online collaboration- - so that, along with a new-found interest in Apple (thanks to a Danish friend) has brought me here.

I'll graduate from my university in May - Ideally, I'd like to get some sort of tech job at a university and pursue a master's degree.

I've learned a lot from everyone- I really appreciate the "community" atmosphere.

Thanks for all your help!

Congrats as well...and to you too Munky! :)

bought my first PC

my dream was to make music with it

so after many years of learning, my dream came thru. :P

We're not so different...learning the ropes in Cubase right now...hoping to get some stuff recorded nicely very soon! :blink:

Hey everyone, I'm from Wisconsin...the land of beer, cheese, and meat (preferably in that order too).

I've been into computers since the early 80's since our family owned a multitude of Commodores and Ataris. I haven't used an Apple now though since the IIci in highschool, on which I (mostly on accident) hacked into the administrative server and changed tons of grades...locked teachers out of accounts. It was pretty hairy, they didn't even want to allow me to graduate with the 140 hours of detention I still had left to serve...but hey, I got good grades :thumbsdown_anim:

I've been solely a Windows user since the Pentium I came out, so I'm loving the differences and smooth butteryness of osX...been learning alot from these forums too, although it seems I have oodles of command line msgs to learn now :pirate2:

I'm a late blooming college student now, in a networking degree, but mostly I just care about multimedia...making music, video editing, and tweaking my computers out to be able to work harder and harder.

I also run an electronic radio station through shoutcast, which you can find below in my sig (or look for Limbik Frequencies in iTunes, under Ambient).

So, anyways, hola all, and thanks for the help again...really, these forums have been the only decent info I've found for the Macintel fiasco.

• 1 month later...

Wutup.

My nickname is franz, but that was taken so I put my 2nd most popular nickname, franzy :).

I am a sophomore in high school but am of an elite few in my high school, and gaining the title, MLA (machine labor assistant i think :-/)

obviously havent had much experience w/ the 80's computers back in the day like u old guys :-D, but the computer head does and he's got some incredibly old machines - the LISA, etc. I have a 95' dell of my own :-D.

My experience ranges from contributions to the mac os x86 effort (a wireless solution for 10.4.5, etc). Also experience on building comps. More noteably, I know everything about the cutting edge technology of today, as well as being on top in the computing world.

Gladly joined this site after its creation a short time after macifying my dell.

mashugly - great job on this site. You've really assembled a nice bunch of hackers.

Hey,

I'm Mike and a freshman in high school here in Florida. I take three tech classes which are Tech Studies, BST (Business Systems and Technology), and Drafting. Next year I hope to be in T.V. production. I haven't been around long enough to have and use an Apple ][ or anything like that. My dad is a real big Windows fan and he's been using it since DOS. I still have that old computer with Windoze 95 on it. I was born and raised on Microsoft products until my grandma bought her first iMac G3 back in 1998. Since then I have been a Mac guy. I hope do either do video editing, software development, or do something with Photoshop when I'm older.

Good job with the site, Mashugly. It's really grown since it started in August.

EDIT: I'm a sophomore now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well i was looking for somewhere to introduce myself so...i hope i did this i the right place folks.

My name is Karl (aka Neon). I am usually the Windows Vista, XP e.t.c guy but something about OSX on a computer excited me. Its different and certainly interesting.

Have i had OSX on my computer yet? Yes

Do i want it again? Yes

The community seems to be full of people who are either well-up on the subject and/or have some good questions. You've probably guessed by now i have my own :D

Well. See you around people!

• 1 month later...

This thread is most likely dead, but anyway. Im Richard, and I like anything that has to do with computers, videogames, cars, or music. My PC specs are in my sig, I play guitar, record music, toy with cars, h4x with computers, and that kind of stuff. Thats about it, lol.

My name is Mark and i live in scotland, i used to be a computer engineer but im going back to study graphic Design this autumn.

I love music and was first attracted to osx by the ability to use garageband and Logic.

This thread was dead as far as i can tell, but what the hell.lets just give it a rebirth :D

I'm Justin and I'm in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. I'm currently 18 and just finishing up high school. I've already been accepted at a polytechnic school around where I live called BCIT, where I will be taking the Computer Information Systems Technology. I plan on working in the computer networking field, programming and troubleshooting Cisco equipment and possibly Linux servers.

I've liked Mac OS X since it came out. Although I've grown more attached to it since Tiger came out. I don't think I'll ever be buying a Mac desktop system, unless of course I start making some big bucks, but I'm trying to get a MacBook Pro the way Mashugly did, and munky will be doing. I don't have any true purpose to use it, it just feels more professional to work with. Unless DirectX is ported to other operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS X, I will always use Windows, just not legally. :)

I used to mountain bike as a hobby, although I haven't found anyone to go with over the past year so I haven't been doing it much anymore. I'm planning on forcing a few friends to start back up again because I'm not getting any exercise at all. Six months ago I obtained a stomach ulcer from my unhealthy lifestyle and I've been working at making a lot of changes in my life because of it. Hopefully I'll be back to normal soon.

I'm always looking for new people to talk to, so if you think you'd like to talk to me, PM me and I'll give out my instant messenger screen names. Sorry for such a long introduction to myself, I like to get carried away with these sort of things. Toodles. ;)

Hey! I'd love to go traveling to Scotland. I could visit munky, and you, and a few other people on the forum. :) Think you could handle the sort of mountain biking I do? Not the average trail riding, I'm talking about going off 20 foot cliffs. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My name's Luca, I'm 20, I'm a male, I live in Italy, in Rome, and I'm studying informatic engineering at university.

I'm in love with Computers since I was 4 years old (!).

When i was 4, my dad bought a 286 with a VGA monitor which ran DOS.

Paradoxically (does this word exist?) I learnt first how to write on dad's PC (and DOS commands) and then on paper.

One day when all of a sudden, DOS went crazy and started to launch several commands.

It was my father that realized that there was a boot virus... and actually I was the author!!!

In fact I was writing in WordStar a DOS Quick Reference for my mother (she only used it to play Tetris) and I did something that interfered with the Autoexec.bat .

So when i was 5 years i wrote my first virus :D

At 6 years, I found an Olivetti 286 abandoned outside an office and I decided to take it home. My dad bought me a Black and White Monitor and that was my first PC.

4 years later my Dad went crazy and spent a load of money to buy a Pentium 166 MMX.

5 years later I bought the pieces of my new PC and assembled it by myself: an AMD Duron 600 with the mighty Radeon 9000 128 Mb.

From there until now, I used mainly windoze and Linux and now that I discovered OS X, I left both Linux and Windows, because OS X integrates Unix Power with Mac Style.

I'm planning to get a MacBook someday because I'd really love to own an original Mac.

That's all.

• 2 weeks later...

well,

im thatcrazylaxdude obviously. i play(ed) lacrosse for 3 years. sophmore in college majoring in Mechanical Engineering, minor in something or other, not sure what yet. used windows all my life. started using linux couple of years ago, and using osx for the past couple months. I stutter, but i get along. I like working on cars, even though i dont have one :D , VW and AUDI are by far my favorite manufacturers at the moment (changes alot). favorite car ever: Audi Quattro Coupe. (insert drooling smiley here). I'm an avid computer builder and trying to get into photography. I love music, and have a rather extensive collection. All-time favorite artist: the Beastie Boys. after all thats said and done, well, thats about it. feel free to PM me. btw, anybody got a sempron compatible 400mhz fsb socket a motherboard they can part with cheaply?

Hi everyone!

I apologize for not posting my introduction before my other posts, but at least I'm introducing myself now. I go by the username/nickname Melody of Dismay. You can call me Melody or Melo too. I am into computers, music, and natural breast enlargement. I work for a Canadian internet service provider as a technical support representative. I am on my way to completing my jazz music degree and hope to gain a computer science degee in the future. I play guitar, piano, bass, and I sing too. I'm really into recording music on both the Mac and the PC. I help run a NON-commercial website called NBE Quest that includes topics about the various methods of natural breast enlargement. I currently own a PC desktop and a Mac PowerBook. Before today, I have been lurking the forums for a few months. Now I am happy to post here and have access to the search button! :) Thank you all for contributing to the OSx86 Project--it's awesome! :D

Cya!

~Melody~

Im corey, im 18, A an A+ certified computer tech.

Im a certified pimp as well. I work at a cell phone shop by day, and on the side I hustle laptops and work on cars.

Im into imports, muscle cars, Drifting, surfing, skateboarding.

Mainly im a laid back guy, i like to do a little recreational experimental activities to expand my mental abilities and my mind set.

I really enjoy watching movies like Waking life.

IMDB it.

Well my name is corey, im laid back not much of a problem starter, more a problem solver, im very quisitive and eager to tweak my machines and make then faster and find new ways to cut down on used hd space.

Melody of Dismay -

It's not every day that people are interested in both Natural Breast Enhancement AND OSx86. I'm not gonna lie... there are a lot of questions I would like to ask... but we'll keep it professional. :) Welcome.

Welcome, Corey! :D You'd better not work for T-Mobile...I used to at a call-center. They paid us really low wages and treated us like we were sub-human. Remember that next time you speak to an activations or business care agent. :D

This may be slightly off-topic, but is your display picture allowed on the forums? I mean, links to warez and pirated software aren't allowed, so one would think that pictures of cannabis aren't either. I hope you will be OK, but I myself would like to know about these things in case I put a display picture that is not appropriate! :)

Cya!

~Melo~

Hi again, Mash!

LOL--I bet I'm the only one who's into both OSx86 and NBE (natural breast enlargement)! :D If you have questions, please ask--I am open to any questions about my interest in NBE as well as about my NBE Quest website. I do my best to keep my website professional, too. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Cya!

~Melo~

I mean, links to warez and pirated software aren't allowed, so one would think that pictures of cannabis aren't either.

Only if the cannabis pictures are copyrighted. :tomato:

I am open to any questions about my interest in NBE...

Great, how big is your chest? :)

Hi SABR, thank you for welcoming me. :angry: So far I enjoy it here, as I have a few months ago before I started posting. Thank you for that link--I have done my best to comply to the rules outlined within it. I did not know about those signature rules until you told me, so I apologize for that. I have seen other people with really long signatures too--I hope they get to read the link too. I still have to shorten my sig--we'll see! :P Thanks again!

Cya!

~Melo, MoD (well, mod of the NBE Quest website!)~

Hehe, thanks, Cyrana. You find people of all sorts, I guess!

Cya!

~Melo~