I need something explained: How does Vista look like OSX ?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,639 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Microsoft copying something from Apple, nah how could you believe that ;)

robotskip

robotskip

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

I think that Microsoft is following Apple's lead, and taking some actual care on the UI elements, which means making them sharper/anti-aliased properly, tasteful, smart and good looking. In that respect, Vista is "Apple-Like"

More vague rubbish. I asked for freaking specific things, is it that hard ?

well of cause vista doesnt look like osx but many ideas are stolen.

No, many ideas are not stolen and I already addressed the stupid, regularly quoted ones like search and gadgets. You don't deserve to like monkeys.

Vista has copied OS X very close, just look at the apps, mail, calendar, IE7, the layout is identical. It's not that Vista looks like OS X, it's that they have copied the apps, layout and tried to compete with OS X simply by copying rather than innovating. I think OS X is alot more elegant and consistant.

Calendar has a similar structure to Outlook2003 and previous versions of mail apps from Microsoft. Hell, Evolution, Thunderbird and a ton of other apps have the same freaking structure. IE7 has the most different GUI to any other browser but I assume you were attempting to mention how RSS looks similar, well, it's similar in FF and a ton of other apps. Also, the simple mail app is simple to Outlook and any other mail app - only in terms of structure and even than it's different enough.

Also, it is not identical, for example, in the calendar app MS has a horizontal bar at the top with buttons, etc among other differences.

NONE HAVE YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FULFILL A SIMPLE REQUEST. Hell, from your posts I'd say about 2 of you actually read my post, for example, I ask for no 'vague rubbish' and I ask for specific things yet I get useless metaphors and silly things like 'following Apple's lead in sharpness.' :unsure:

So, 2 concclusions:

It doesn't look Mac like. ;)
People can not read. :(

Feel free to close this thread, I'm done. People have said nothing specific besides stupid things like gadgets and the structure of a calendar app.

Urbz

Urbz

La cr�me de la cr�me...(?)

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts

So, 2 concclusions:

It doesn't look Mac like. :huh:

Feel free to close this thread, I'm done. People have said nothing specific besides stupid things like gadgets and the structure of a calendar app.

Aww! lol robotskip ur so cute! and funny, did I mention funny?
The conclusions are lame... Vista is a complete rip-off of mac os x. Have you ever used mac os before? what about vista?
Because if you have, it isn't apparent!
Just because the color of the vista theme is black, and current os x isn't, doesn't mean they don't look the same. If I had the exact same jaw as another person, you would note how similar it is even if my beard was white and his, brown.
When people say they look the same, it absolutely has to do with icon similarities and design elements.
I'm giving you ONE (and only one) example. Do you think the attached picture looks like this forum, or not? If you say yes, you have gotten something from this thread: the understanding of aesthetic likeness. If not, you're beyond help. Hope to hear it's the former.

-Urby

Attached Files

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,511 posts

You don't deserve to like monkeys.

:huh:

@Urby3, Save the cheerleader :(

Urbz

Urbz

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts

:huh:

@Urby3, Save the cheerleader :(

Do you watch? :)

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,511 posts

Do you watch? :hysterical:

Every week :hysterical:

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

More vague rubbish. I asked for freaking specific things, is it that hard ?
No, many ideas are not stolen and I already addressed the stupid, regularly quoted ones like search and gadgets. You don't deserve to like monkeys.
Calendar has a similar structure to Outlook2003 and previous versions of mail apps from Microsoft. Hell, Evolution, Thunderbird and a ton of other apps have the same freaking structure. IE7 has the most different GUI to any other browser but I assume you were attempting to mention how RSS looks similar, well, it's similar in FF and a ton of other apps. Also, the simple mail app is simple to Outlook and any other mail app - only in terms of structure and even than it's different enough.

Also, it is not identical, for example, in the calendar app MS has a horizontal bar at the top with buttons, etc among other differences.
NONE HAVE YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FULFILL A SIMPLE REQUEST. Hell, from your posts I'd say about 2 of you actually read my post, for example, I ask for no 'vague rubbish' and I ask for specific things yet I get useless metaphors and silly things like 'following Apple's lead in sharpness.' :unsure:

So, 2 concclusions:

It doesn't look Mac like. :)

The fact is your nothing opening your eyes, this is the power of Microsoft, able to convince you that there new shinny OS is pure innovation. I suggest you get out your hole and open your eyes. Hell Vista's file dialog is nothing like GNOME's file dialog is it?

Urbz

Urbz

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts

Every week :)

fav storyline?

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,511 posts

fav storyline?

Peter or Sylar

kevin_4e

kevin_4e

Retired InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 842 posts

I don't understand it either and Vista looks much better in my opinion.

PS, I like monkeys :P

In my opinion, they are incredibly different, and I can't say one looks better than the other. I do see where Vista took on some features of OS X like the drop-down folders, widgets gadgets (I would consider those appearance too), how they implemented their search.

I guess I would have to say Vista looks almost childish to me. Very vibrant shiny colors. I do still think it looks very very nice, but OS X is a bit "more professional" looking if you know what I mean.

macmaniac

macmaniac

hackaholic

• Donators
  • 322 posts
David Pogue from NY Times:

(sorry, its old)

You be the judge..... :o

Urbz

Urbz

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts

Peter or Sylar

mine is claire and zach... being a teenager, I can really understand wat it's like to have such a good friend...

joe75

joe75

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,511 posts

I would have to say Vista looks almost childish to me.

I know what you mean, but I like all that {censored} :)

I want an OS that works like OS X, looks like Vista and has all the features of Linux. So I run them all :P

Soündless

Soündless

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,318 posts
  • Interests:surfing, macs, skating, scheming
gadgets≠widgets!

liquidplasmaflow

liquidplasmaflow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Vista is shiny :hysterical:

Soündless

Soündless

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,318 posts
  • Interests:surfing, macs, skating, scheming
yeah, but i dont like it, it is definately not original. osx just has a better feel to it

Guest:

Guest:

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

yeah, but i dont like it, it is definately not original. osx just has a better feel to it

A lot of the features that Vista has now (such as "Gadgets" and the Spotlight-like function) was said to be included in Longhorn (what was supposed to be what is now Vista) well before they were included in OSX. Though many of the features appear to be
"copied" over, they were mostly already slated to be in the next version of Windows well before they were introduced in OSX. So it would be a little unfair to say Vista completely copied OSX.

Edited by Guest:, 02 February 2007 - 09:29 PM.

curlyboy

curlyboy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
Well for my 2 cents vista and osx are absolutly nothing like each other in any way what so ever full stop.
You could therefore say apple copies linux , linux copies apple windows copies linux everbody copies everbody who in gods lovely green earth really gives a {censored} they all look great and perform great nuff said

Edited by curlyboy, 03 February 2007 - 02:04 AM.

ResX

ResX

InsanelyHack

• Retired
  • 818 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, People, Macs
Vista didnt "steal" anything from OS X, they just attempted to replicate the same user interface that mac users have been enjoying already for almost 7 years. Some of the 3D effects and transparency effects are nice, but IMO, Microsoft used it a little too much (having an opaque task bar, and little popup previews, WTF?). Aero glass is such a nice change from the luna look, its not the greatest thing ever (Beryl is).

When i used Vista (w/ aero) and Tiger side by side, i noticed something. The aero effect is really cool, and kinda 3D-ish, like it sticks out of the screen, but the brushed metal in tiger seems to have more "depth", and looks and feels more grabbable.

Off the record...

And robotskip, If you want the answers you are asking for, go ask a windows forum where youll get the biased, "macs suck, windows is the only real OS" answers you keep looking for. And I keep having a feeling you like to ask questions, then start wars because you like dealing with the controversy. I see it all the time in the forums from you. Im guessing youre either 14 Years old, or a really immature guy.

Edited by ResXhacker, 03 February 2007 - 04:30 AM.

abcslayer

abcslayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Have you care about 3D HW accelerated GUI? Is that the real copy thing?
I must said the 3D Fx in Vista is useless in everyday using. It's just for demo party. If M$ do not open up API for 3rd party apps (sorry programs) to make more usable way for ppl (such as something like Exposé with HW accelerated) then it still crappy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy