iTunes 7 - Official Problem Thread

pro547

330 posts in this topic

just want to say again, for those now tuning in.

i'm on 10.4.7, manually updated from 10.4.4, P4 3.0Ghz SSE2 CPU

i've converted iTunes 7 to PPC, it opens and works as fast in Rosetta, as iTunes 6 does native. CoverFlow animations are smooth and

as fast as the standalone CoverFlow app native.

don't know why the conversion isn't working for some people. perhaps it doesn't work for some reason if they are SSE3, but will work on SSE2?

ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app

a few more people try this. not an optimal solution, but if it works for me, it will work for some others.

It doesnt have an option on the "get info" screen to run it in rosetta

Jeezoflip, it would have created a iTunesPPC right below your iTunes.

p.s. i know i'm beating a dead horse here, but i only have one system and conversion works on it. if any desperados try converting to PPC and it works, message me, i'm curious. iTunes 7 is a worthwhile upgrade, so it would be nice to plug all the holes and cross all the T's. :)

as an interim solution, it's.. it's an interim solution!

Jeezoflip, it would have created a iTunesPPC right below your iTunes.

p.s. i know i'm beating a dead horse here, but i only have one system and conversion works on it. if any desperados try converting to PPC and it works, message me, i'm curious. iTunes 7 is a worthwhile upgrade, so it would be nice to plug all the holes and cross all the T's. :)

as an interim solution, it's.. it's an interim solution!

yeah, i know. it did. But then it says this application cant run on your system, because i dont have a PPC system

if you have to use the ppc version .. for now you can use this

#/bin/sh

/usr/libexec/oah/translate /applications/itunesppc.app/contents/macos/itunes

exit 0

save that in a text file called itunes.sh

then all you have to do is in a terminal

sh itunes.sh

to run it till a better solution is made

is there any way to change the icon???

JaS, do you have any ideas, i mean you did creat ea osx86 dvd...

And because I did that means I have to know everything about every aspect of os x,anyway please lets keep this on topic .Changing itunes icon is not the topic.

If anyone is still having problems getting it running under Rosetta on an SSE2 machine, try this:

In a terminal cd into /Applications then run the ditto command found earlier in the thread.

ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app

If you just try to open iTunesPPC you'll get an error, but if you Right Click -> Show Contents -> Contents -> MacOS and then double click iTunes it'll open a terminal and iTunes will launch properly under Rosetta. I tried issuing the exact same command from a terminal that is issued when doing the above and it gave me an error. So for now you have to use that long-ish method to get it working.

I'll probably stick with 6 until the SSE2 issue is worked out. 7 does look pretty nice, though.

This worked for me once (SSE2 P4). But then wouldn't work again. I tried uninstalling iTunes, reinstalling iTunes 6 (which won't open the library because it had already been updated with iTunes 7; speaking which, most of the cover art didn't download from what I can tell). Upgraded to iTunes 7 again and ran the above code again and when i try to run the version inside the iTunes package it tries to run the universal (no option to check run in rosetta). When I try to run the ppc version it tells me that i can't.

Any suggestions would be great since now the only way to play my music and update my iPod is to use XP. Yikes.

Good thing that I'm picking up a new mac in the near future ;).

Thanks,

Dan

do show package contents, contents, macos, itunes... It will open in terminal, let it run... it will open itunes 7

btw, whats the progress on getting it working natively????

If you're replying to my post that's what I did to get it to run the first time, but when I repeated the same process with the reinstalled version it went back to trying the universal version (it would go into terminal then launch the universal version because the itunes icon in the dock would show an arrow under it. the first go around it added a new icon to the dock, the one with the line through it). weird.

Dan

hey, i'm sorry people, i did a few things to the info.plist of iTunes 7 before i converted it to PPC, but didn't think about sharing that information.

LSRequiresCarbon

LSRequiresNativeExecution

changed true to false on the above, in the info.plist

might get rid of that "because it is not supported on this system" error

my apologies, busy day, distracted. ;)

do show package contents, contents, macos, itunes... It will open in terminal, let it run... it will open itunes 7

btw, whats the progress on getting it working natively????

thats worked for me for now, opening the ppc version via rosetta.

interestingly if I try the same trick with the unibin theres an malloc error as it tries to allocate over 4GB of ram.

I'm running on a Pentium M Dothan (SSE2), with 2GB ram.

I just copied the iTunes PPC binary to the /Applications/iTunes/Contents/MacOS folder and renamed the Intel binary to 'iTunes2' .. got rid of the nasty circle slash for me and lets me run it from the dock without throwing a platform error.

SSE2, Pentium M 2.0GHz 512mb JaS 10.4.6 here

I just copied the iTunes PPC binary to the /Applications/iTunes/Contents/MacOS folder and renamed the Intel binary to 'iTunes2' .. got rid of the nasty circle slash for me and lets me run it from the dock without throwing a platform error.

SSE2, Pentium M 2.0GHz 512mb JaS 10.4.6 here

Thanks, this is working for me and it will probally be what I'm using until a patch comes out to run the intel binary

by the way it wouldn't work native then i did ppc and that worked

intel pentium 4 2.4ghz sse2

512mb ram