• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

RN95

RN95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Just remove mkext and rename folder KextStore back to Extensions.

I have been always using KextStore and I had to rebuild mkext manually using terminal. It was one of the reasons I made this app.

Hi Janek,

It's me again.

I would really appreciate if you made the renaming of Extension to Kextstore optional or just backup E/Extensions to E/Kexstore. I use loads of scripts which look for E/Extensions and that is prooving to be tedious.
I understand perfectly your arguments and you are correct.

Please, pretty please ?

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts
It is optional. Extra/Extensions won't be renamed unless you select "Rebuild mkext" option...
Kexts Installation and "Repairing Extra permissions" won't rename it...

How would you like me to do it more optional? I don't have any ideas...

Having both folders (E/E and E/KS) is pointless and can cause problems.

Maybe I will just add option in the menu to bring back E/Extensions from E/KextStore?

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
He want to have a scope what he can tick so that the extra/extension will not be renamed when he rebuild the mkext. :(
No matter if it has sense or not. He want´s to rebuild the mkext even if chameleon will not load it.

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts
New version 3.3 for testing.

Changes:
- Additional message before renaming Extra/Extensions to KextStore.
- New option in info.plist: "Rename EE to KS". Setting it to false won't allow the app to change name of E/E. Also mkext rebuilding will be disabled on disks without E/KS.
- New menu option: Bring back Extra/Extensions from Extra/KextStore. Allows you to undo changes of that folder.
- Some fixes and improvements in Loaded tab

Link: [see latests posts]
Please test and report me any bugs.

RN95

RN95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

He want to have a scope what he can tick so that the extra/extension will not be renamed when he rebuild the mkext. :(
No matter if it has sense or not. He want´s to rebuild the mkext even if chameleon will not load it.

Hi Janek,
Sorry for the delay (Enjoying the Sun in normally wet UK).

What Wastez is decribing is pretty much what I was suggesting.

Scenario:
- Do a rebuild cache (Extra) --> Extensions is renamed to Kextsore
- Then go into installation and assuming I want to install a kext into Extra/Extensions, the option available are 'Extra' or 'Extensions.mkext on desktop'.

This is rather confusing if you don't know the ins and outs of the tool.

Should you want to use the functions of the tool as is, you could. All I was asking for is an option in 'Maintenance' which allows you to preserve the Extra/Extensions folder or disable the renaming of that folder.

Basically, your tool would remain in line with the current 'Standard'.

Hope this is clear enough.

Kind regards,

xpertvision

xpertvision

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
looks like a great tool

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts

- Do a rebuild cache (Extra) --> Extensions is renamed to Kextsore

Should you want to use the functions of the tool as is, you could. All I was asking for is an option in 'Maintenance' which allows you to preserve the Extra/Extensions folder or disable the renaming of that folder.

Try test version 3.3. After small info.plist edition this app won't rename Extra/Extensions to Extra/KextStore. I think I will be enabled by default.
Having E/E and Extensions.mkext is pointless, and there's no need to rebuild cache when using E/E.

- Then go into installation and assuming I want to install a kext into Extra/Extensions, the option available are 'Extra' or 'Extensions.mkext on desktop'.

This is rather confusing if you don't know the ins and outs of the tool.

I know it can be quite confusing, because "Create mkext on desktop" will create mkext containing selected kexts, nothing will be installed to /E/E or /S/L/E, but it was simple to add (in code and gui)...

If you have better idea, please let me know.

Why I added (confusing) KextStore support?
Because some kext doesn't work good in E/E, but they work ok when loaded from mkext. So you need to create Extensions.mkext in Extra if you don't want to keep them in S/L/E. Unfortunately Chameleon will still load everything only from Extensions folder, so you need to change its name. Usually to KextStore.

When you add new kext to /E/E you don't have to do anything else, because chameleon will load all kexts from that directory. But when you use Extensions.mkext and KextStore, you also have to rebuild mkext.
That's why option "Rebuild mkext" won't work with E/E.

RN95

RN95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Try test version 3.3. After small info.plist edition this app won't rename Extra/Extensions to Extra/KextStore. I think I will be enabled by default.
Having E/E and Extensions.mkext is pointless, and there's no need to rebuild cache when using E/E.

Ji Janek,

I was under the impression that Chameleon will load extensions from E/E and S/L/E only when you boot with the -f parameter (i.e. ignores caches). Otherwise, it will load extensions from .mkext caches.

I have tested with the modification of the .plist file (Setting 'Rename EE to KS' to NO ) but it prevented rebuilding of .mkext. Why not just allow that?

By the way, I still go along with everyone that it is a great tool.

Regards

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts

I was under the impression that Chameleon will load extensions from E/E and S/L/E only when you boot with the -f parameter (i.e. ignores caches). Otherwise, it will load extensions from .mkext caches.

Well, it works like that:
Without -f: S/L/E from cache (/System/Library/Caches), E/E from kexts, E/KS from Extra/Extensions.mkext
With -f: S/L/E from kexts, E/E from kexts, E/KS from Extra/Extensions.mkext

I have tested with the modification of the .plist file (Setting 'Rename EE to KS' to NO ) but it prevented rebuilding of .mkext. Why not just allow that?

What's the point of creating mkext, that won't be loaded by chameleon? With E/E directory, mkext is useless.
I don't want that to be even more confusing...

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...
Hi Janek202... just a quick word about this "renaming E/E stuff" (i did it a lot my self :P ); you don't need to do it!
Just touch E/E before creating/updating the mkext and Chameleon will happily ignore E/E and load E/Extensions.mkext.
It's just a question of time, like when touching S/L/E to update system cache; touch updates E/E to current time and kextcache updates the cache with E/E's time.
Chameleon checks the time of both mkext and kext repository and if the mkext is older it's ignored;
-f argument forces the same situation, but only for system kexts; it has no effect on Extra.

Hope this is helpful :huh:
Stay safe...

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts
Wow, I didn't know about that!
Thank you very much, I will add E/E mkext support.

Edit:
I have one question. Should I wait some time after touch, before creating mkext? Or I can execute this commands one after another?

New test version 3.3 (without waiting):
Changes:
Mkext can be created from E/E. Used touch command.

RN95

RN95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hi Janek202... just a quick word about this "renaming E/E stuff" (i did it a lot my self :P ); you don't need to do it!
Just touch E/E before creating/updating the mkext and Chameleon will happily ignore E/E and load E/Extensions.mkext.
It's just a question of time, like when touching S/L/E to update system cache; touch updates E/E to current time and kextcache updates the cache with E/E's time.
Chameleon checks the time of both mkext and kext repository and if the mkext is older it's ignored;
-f argument forces the same situation, but only for system kexts; it has not effect on Extra.

Hope this is helpful ;)
Stay safe...

Hi janeck,

Azimutz - Thanks for coming to my rescue :P

Janeck - Thanks for the update - My testing hasn't shown any problem so far. It seems to work just perfect and I am sure it'll get better with time.

One point: I noticed that Kexstore is no longer created (Good). Should you update your first post to reflect that ?

Thanks again for your hard work.

Best regards. :D

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts

One point: I noticed that Kexstore is no longer created (Good). Should you update your first post to reflect that ?

It will be updated after public release of 3.3 version. ;) I think I'll do it in the evening if no bugs are reported.

Nixwiz

Nixwiz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Very nice Tool, thx 4 your work!

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

Wow, I didn't know about that!
Thank you very much, I will add E/E mkext support.

Edit:
I have one question. Should I wait some time after touch, before creating mkext? Or I can execute this commands one after another?

Yes, you can execute the commands one after another; i do it right after fixing permissions on the folder and before "sudo kextcache...".
Sorry for the quick words but, i'm really very busy atm with private life...

Azimutz - Thanks for coming to my rescue Posted Image

Glad to be of some assistance to you guys :D

janek202

janek202

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 311 posts

Yes, you can execute the commands one after another; i do it right after fixing permissions on the folder and before "sudo kextcache...".

Thank you. That's all I needed.

Version 3.3 officially released.

yehia Amer

yehia Amer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Great tool

Thanks so much :)

Kimiko

Kimiko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Works great! it's better than Kext Utility and Kext Helper b7. Thanks! :)

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The time has come for a tool which is better then kext helper and kext utility together.

Also thank you for your work. :wacko:

Larx

Larx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Music, hackintosh, mac
Great app !!! Thank you very much Janek ! ;)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy