Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

Ok I installed the driver, and when booting with -v, the driver detects my graphics card, connection type, monitor, and optimal resolution perfectly.

However, I can't get to the login window. It hangs at the part where it says it is loading loginwindow.app, and the mouse suddenly appears over the black diagnostic screen.

If I'm not booting with -v, the throbber under the grey Apple logo freezes, and the mouse arrow appears as it normally would when the login window loads, only the login window never appears and the grey Apple boot screen is still present. When a hit a key on my keyboard or move the mouse, the arrow turns into a white rectangle which either leaves a tearing trail or scattered black squares. In addition, the perimeter of the screen has scattered black rectangular shapes.

On the troubleshooting section of omni's site, it mentions a problem where only a black screen and mouse are visible. I don't know if the solution for this problem will solve my own issue. I'm pretty sure that Myzar's 10.4.6 updater archives the 10.4.6 Radeon kexts and leaves the 10.4.5 kexts in tact.

I found that solution a little unclear. Was Omni saying "you must have the 10.4.6 ATi kexts for it to work properly" or was he intending to say "you're probably running the 10.4.6 Ati kexts, which you shouldn't."

In either case, the ATi kexts I'm using were created in January, so I think they're from 10.4.5.

Any help with my problem is appreciated. Maybe the ATi kexts aren't an issue. Maybe its something else. I need some ideas. Thanks!

Also, I have an LCD monitor but it detects it as "DFP." Maybe this is the problem.

(ATi 9600. Device ID: 4e51. Connection type: DVI. Monitor: Dell 2005FPW)

your getting the same thing I am getting with a 7500. 10.4.5/10.4.6 and even the 10.4.3 (experimenting) results in the same thing.

I did a little bit of reading up and realized that, rogabean. The crazy part is, my dev ID is 4e51, and something with an ID of 4e50 has it working perfectly. Maybe it isn't a problem with the cards themselves.

I'm using a DVI connection, which makes my Dell 2005fpw monitor get detected as DFP (as it should, I guess.) The diagnostic output seems to try to use its optimal resolution, 1680x1050. So far, I haven't seen anybody able to get high resolutions successfully. Maybe thats the problem?

Trying to keep an open mind...

Working with the 002 build and I have QE and CI enabled on my x600. Something strange though... Resolutions above 1280x800 give me a black screen still. But I can finally change refresh rates. My eyes have been saved! lol. Thank you omni! :)

Edit: After playing with it some more I was able to get 1280x960 working by just resetting to 1024x768 at 60Hz and then switching to 1280x960 at 60Hz and then I was able to increase the refresh rate from that point. Great work, omni! Much thanks. When rebooting I do have to change the resolution and refresh rate because the screen is initially garbled and showing "two screens"... if that makes sense to anyone but me. The main thing is that it works though! :)

I did a little bit of reading up and realized that, rogabean. The crazy part is, my dev ID is 4e51, and something with an ID of 4e50 has it working perfectly. Maybe it isn't a problem with the cards themselves.

I'm using a DVI connection, which makes my Dell 2005fpw monitor get detected as DFP (as it should, I guess.) The diagnostic output seems to try to use its optimal resolution, 1680x1050. So far, I haven't seen anybody able to get high resolutions successfully. Maybe thats the problem?

Trying to keep an open mind...

FWIW, my backup video card correctly detects my Dell 2007wfp.

GMA 950:

Chipset Model:	GMA 950
 Type:	VGA-Compatible Controller
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x2772
 Revision ID:	0x0002
 Displays:
Display:
DELL 2007WFP:
 Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz 2D Extreme:	Supported
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported

Can't wait till this driver reaches beta so I can put my ATI back in...

Using 002 with a Mobility Radeon X300 (ID=5460) is detected, and detects my display as an LCD. First boot, loaded 1024x768 by default as its supposed to. Changed to 1280x800, screen went crazy colors, but I rebooted. Now its just black in a normal boot. In a Safe Boot, I can use 1280x800 if I switch back and forth between res's for a bit. When 1280x800 does show up, it seems about 150-200 pixels are missing from the middle of the screen, creating a black side bar along the right side.

Hi, Omni,

Great improvement with build 2 on my Toshiba M30x laptop, though it's not yet working.

First : I've been able to switch to 1280x768, but the frames were not completely drawn so the extra 256 pixels were pushed to the next line. However, I could see the GUI!

Second : My LCD Display was recognized.

You will find hereunder my specs as recognized by Callisto :

Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP :

Modèle de jeu de puces :	Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP
 Type :	Moniteur
 Bus :	PCI
 Logement :	PCI
 VRAM (totale) :	128 Mo
 Fournisseur :	ATI (0x1002)
 Identifiant du périphérique :	0x4e50
 Identifiant de révision :	0x0000
 Moniteurs :
Écran à cristaux liquides couleur :
 Résolution :	1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
 Profondeur :	Couleurs 32 bits
 Core Image :	Non géré
 Moniteur principal :	Oui
 Miroir :	Désactivé
 Connecté :	Oui
 Quartz Extreme :	Non géré

(Sorry, I'm french)

I Hope this helps

O.K. installed Build 2 of the driver on ATI 9200 mobility on 10.4.3

Driver loaded O.K. like build 1....more info displayed and

seems accurate except for the Card model # 9000 lf ?!

Radeon Mobility 9000 Lf:

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility 9000 Lf

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4c66

Revision ID: 0x0001

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

This on laptop with 1280x800 native LCD

When trying to switch to 1280x800 from 1024x768,

The screen goes a bit out of sync or range and the

switching back works after a reboot....

The display used to go black with build 1, so this is an

improvement....

Your getting close guys.....

Thanks for all your efforts.....really.....

Same results here... a bit out of range with all resolutions. Come on! it's very close!!!

Saphire Radeon X300SE (dev id = 0x5b60) sucsess. Monitor : Compaq P1100 CRT. All working, but no QE/CI (gotta do smth about it...)

Same card(PCIe) + CRT. It has some bug after system boot(white filter on screen).After second restart driver works fine.

You must modify ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin to enable QE/CI.

ok tested no change at all

waitin for beta3

The driver isn't at the beta stage yet. It's considered *very* early alpha. At the beta stage, the driver should work successfully for most ATi users, but still have a few bugs to work out. As an alpha, this driver works perfectly for maybe one or two people, has various degrees of functionality for most, and doesn't work at all for anybody else.

I'm still convinced that attempting to support CRT monitors initially broke some things. The LCD-only driver that was shown off weeks ago seemed to work perfectly for JaS. Now nobody has 1680x1050 without some distortion, it seems.

I think I'll hold off until Alpha 5 or 6.

Takuro i know what u said, u just used beta cause it was faster :(

i was saying waiting for beta3 cause omni on his website said he would change the monitor routine so i hope this can do the trick...

Finally i do totally agree with u , as u must have already read, about the fact that the early stage of this driver seemed to work better because of the LCD-only support.

Let's c if JAS can share his driver or omni post it.

Working on my X300SE (5b60). I modified the ATI9700GA.plugin to get QE and CI.

Edit : Tried with my TV attached, but stayed hanged on the boot screen, no panic, when a press some keys I can hear the "boing" sound. In other words the OS seems to be loaded but no screen output.

I also still have mouse tearing

The second release is ok for me, 1680*1050 on LCD 20 inch, with QE and CI.

With an ati fire GL Z1.

Keep it up omni and thank you one again.