Callisto Technical Discussion

Swad

826 posts in this topic

curlyboy im sure omni wanting to finalize the driver and make it work under CRT broke the whole thing...JAS version was said by himself to be working 100% let's wait for him

ps: i have my own made osx and sure it doesnt come from it dont worry

Working just great so far on my AIW9600XT. Running back at my native 1280x1024 resolution. QE/CI supported. Still same problems which I don't believe are the fault of this driver- mouse tearing, slow QE (nForce3/AMD prob?). Props!

Did you do anything special to get it to work? All the driver did for my x800 xl(PCI-E) is give me a kernel panic. :thumbsdown_anim:

No I didnt do anything special all I did was follow OMNIs intructions. and I didnt get a panic.

Also I am running 10.4.6 and I am not running any other patched driver for video.

So you didn't have koverg's on, then? Guess I'll try with a "virgin" Radeon9700.kext then.

EDIT: Even using a fresh Radeon9700 still gave me a kernel panic...

Doesn't work here either, it all works well up to changing the resolution in the preferences.

Id=5460 if anyone cares.......

Already tried twice, last time on a fresh .5 install, so I wouldn't bother.

Ah well, it was worth a shot, as has been said, this a just a preview(alpha).

lol...hmm...well, I actually just clicked Erase as I started reading this. oh well^^

When I tried changing res's, it would go black if I increased the res from 1024x768, or it would do this weird color fade thing if I tried to decrease it...either way I didn't have video.

ID=5460 for my ATI Radeon Mobility X300 too.

Update: Did a fresh install with Jas's 10.4.6 DVD, and same results.

I got the following message after reboot:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

I followed the instructions to install and also repaired the disk permission.

I am still using Myzar V2 10.4.6 upgrade because it's fine with me. Don't know if that's the problem..

Any ideas?

Edited: I followed the instructions again, then it is loaded now. Must be some typo.

For me everything will load up just fine, but when I try to change resolution or refresh rate I get either "out of range" or a blank screen.

I'm getting the same result with my PCI-e x800xt (id 5d57). I'm currently running 10.4.3, but I'll update to 10.4.6 later today and see if there is a difference.

Also, I'm using a couple of Dell CRT monitors

Omni driver loads and displays (almost) correctly on my ati mobility radeon 7000.

Changing resolutions and refresh rates provocates distorstions and errors similar as the ones described above...

It runs, except that I have to delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache every time I reboot, otherwise the screen is a mess...

There is one little glitch that I realize is displayed right now that I am typing: when I type "g" the lower part of the letter leaves a pixel on the screen.

Thanks a lot OMNI!!

post-25217-1146949785_thumb.png

LeCornutier... try booting with -f in your boot options... that should stop you having to rm those files everytime.. It will force a rebuild every boot... it will add to the boot time, but not any different then you are doing now deleting the files manually.

Thank you omni for all your hard work...

ATI Radeon 9550:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9550

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4153

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Figured I'd add my $.02: I have a Radeon Xpress 200M (0x5955), which is PCIe. The driver loads fine, the screen looks great, but black screen whenever I change any parameter of the display (resolution or color depth).

EDIT: My laptop's display panel is unknown to me (HP zv6170us). It is detected as a CRT. I might also add that even though my lappy has 128MB dedicated VRAM, the driver only detects 16MB.

Ok, 2 ATI Cards for me:

1. ATI Radeon 9600 pro (4150) like Omni's

Result:

Successfull Kext loading

Successfull Resolution Change to 1280x1024

No Mouse Tearing

No Core Image

No Quartz Extreme

Action Taken: Loaded Back ATIRadeon9700.kext (prefer tearing for performance)

1. ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 (4c66)

Result:

Successfull Kext loading

Bad Resolution Change (Out Of Sync)

No Mouse Tearing

No Core Image

No Quartz Extreme

Action Taken: None (Using Calisto with 1024x768 on Wide Screen :()

Thanks to Omni for his hard work on this,

we look up to you.

Jonathan.

Result report:

Ati mobillity 9600 64mb (ASUS M6N)

-Out of sync for

1280x800

800x600

-Change color from millions to thounds also make it out of sync.

I feel that it will be out of sync if I choose a different resolution or color depth.

Thanks omni.

Figured I'd add my $.02: I have a Radeon Xpress 200M (0x5955), which is PCIe. The driver loads fine, the screen looks great, but black screen whenever I change any parameter of the display (resolution or color depth).

EDIT: My laptop's display panel is unknown to me (HP zv6170us). It is detected as a CRT. I might also add that even though my lappy has 128MB dedicated VRAM, the driver only detects 16MB.

I am in the same situation as you.. I have a HP zv6147eu with a Radeon Xpress 200m ID:5955.. It also only detects 16mb and it goes black if i try to change anything..

ok.. for those who loaded the driver and did not get QE and Ci I had same problem and I loaded my ATIRadeon9700.Kext again and modified the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin to the Castillo mod for it and I am set. of course it is loading both kexts but it works.. Am I doing that right?

Omni is the man! He uses the same card as i do so setup was so quick! I modded ATIRadeon9700GA./plugin to allow the QE/CI. Do be careful changing resolutions, strange things can happen if you pick the wrong rez or refresh rate. No mouse tearing till I modded the .plugin file.

Thanks Omni, i can finally use OSX on this rig because of you! =D

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x4150

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

ATI Radeon 7000:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 7000

VRAM (Total): 64 MB

Device ID: 0x5159

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Not Supported

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Yay! Works perfectly, thanks Omni!

Looks good! :(

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Device ID: 0x4e48

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

BUT! some issues...

- DVI doesnt work above 1280x1024..

- only managed to get native (1920x1200) when on VGA connection.

- having 2 monitors connected.. driver only queries one on VGA connection

- mouse tearing present with QE (i know GA issues and not Callisto)

TEARING IS ALOT LESS THO! (might be cause of the high res?) no idea

Running OPENGL screensaver (again under VGA), i notice several erm.. artifacts? tears.. basically lines of colour popping.. then again this might be due to the RadeonGA and not to callisto.. just pointint it out

same "lines" appear when watching video.. but only at 1920x1200.. might be my system.. ram getting too got or something.. someone else with a 1920 res should try.

good work omni

easy Simania just modify the ATIRADEON9700GA.plugin seek for IOATINDRVFramebuffer and change it to : CallistoFB

exit and save

reboot works fine

I tried this for my ATI 9600 Pro and it worked fine after the reboot with both CI and QE. However, when i restarted again, I lost both CI and QE and ATIRADEON9700GA.plugin still points to CallistoFB for the framebuffer. Anyone have any possible reasons?

Other than that, the Callisto drivers work perfectly for me with my apple cinema display. one caveat: i have to clear out my extensions.kextcache before every shut down/reboot or the screen will be messed up on boot up. im using the -f flag in com.apple.boot.plist as a temporary workaround for this problem.