AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard

242 posts in this topic

Bry, open the terminal and type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Find the following:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Add your Kernel Flags into the string, but be sure to test them at boot first. I am not sure if there is any way to change the serial number, but you can set the memory by adding memoryType=18 for DDR or memoryType=19 for DDR2 also memorySpeed=x where x is your specified speed.

mine looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>memoryType=19 memorySpeed=533</string>

cntrl-O to save then cntrl-X to exit

Maybe someone else can answer the serial number inquiry, I don't have any experience with setting the SN.

You can set the serial-number in AppleSMBIOSEFI.cpp, just open it in Xcode and search for 'W1234567890' and it will find the dummy serial-number. Change the OSData::withCapacity value to however many characters the new serial-number is.

Make sure you save your changes, after you've done that, load the xcodeproject file and build (compile) the new kext by pressing the Build button from within Xcode or using xcodebuild in Terminal.app.

Seems that Santa Rosa platform is a PITA.

Tried almost all enablers available atm with no luck!

With vanilla acpiplatform.kext ver.1.2.1 model name can't be set and i got random blued crush ( bluetooth )

The system profiler looks like in picture ( with blued crush no info at all), also notice that CPU Model is missing:

SysProfNoCPUNoRightName.jpg

Also About This Mac show "unknow" on CPU field

With acpiplatform ver. 1.0.3, 1.0.5 or 1.1.0 I got:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

And the same missing CPU Model.

Information displayed is correct but i lose vanilla flavor :(

CoolBook show freq/voltages/temps but dosen't throttle no matter what I try, also added M50SV in coolbook2.kext plist on extensions and app resources... no way!

Seems that OS X have problem on reading my CPU Model, look and laugh:

CPULOL.jpg

Tried also on next kitty and surprise is fine there:

CPUOK.jpg

Cant test coolbook b/c badape dosen't run on it... :)

Still waiting for a friend to do something on that... :P

I'm without any idea on what to do next..what to try so any input would be great!

P.S. As a notice, shut down/sleep dosen't work also...and works..half on next kitty(sleep is ok for the first time, like on win I got power led flashing but no display on wake)

You can set the serial-number in AppleSMBIOSEFI.cpp, just open it in Xcode and search for 'W1234567890' and it will find the dummy serial-number. Change the OSData::withCapacity value to however many characters the new serial-number is.

Make sure you save your changes, after you've done that, load the xcodeproject file and build (compile) the new kext by pressing the Build button from within Xcode or using xcodebuild in Terminal.app.

Guys, really, thanks for all the help. The only things I have left are have this thing show as a Mac Pro instead of a "System Product Name". Brywalker's somemodel - not working for me.

And then I just have to get my ICH info to work correctly with Boot-132.

Thanks again.

I cant find AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in the kextstat list (loaded kexts).

I dont know why but since one week, i didnt have MacPro3,1 anymore, its now, MS-7235 which is my MSI Mainboard -ID.

sysctl -a

hw.machine = i386

hw.model = MS-7235 (this is also shown in SystemProfiler as ModellIdent )

hw.ncpu = 2

hw.busfrequency = 880000000 (OK, great!!)

hw.cpufrequency = 1980000000

I didnt changed / complied AppleSMBIOSEFI.

I remember that i reintsalled AppleEFIRuntime.kext(1.1.0) again , should work with EFI >= 8.0

And installed newer AppleACPIPlatform.kext (1.2.1)

Can it be that i have to force AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext loaded before / or after AppleEFIRuntime.kext ?

(Some Numer in .lpist ? Probescore ?)

I cant find AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext in the kextstat list (loaded kexts).

I dont know why but since one week, i didnt have MacPro3,1 anymore, its now, MS-7235 which is my MSI Mainboard -ID.

Can't answer as an expert as I just tried this out myself.

With the latest AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext 28 version I'm seeing the same for the Model Identifier (mine is P5K-E).

I do see that the Serial Number is W1234567890 and can get DDR2 to display with the boot option so assume we are loading up ok.

BTW - how do you set the boot options for memtype to be permament?

My WAG is either that is the way the newer versions work or my true AppleSMBIOS is not matched for this version of the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.

Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist to set the values you want like below.

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v memoryType=19 memorySpeed=700</string>

Can't answer as an expert as I just tried this out myself.

With the latest AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext 28 version I'm seeing the same for the Model Identifier (mine is P5K-E).

I do see that the Serial Number is W1234567890 and can get DDR2 to display with the boot option so assume we are loading up ok.

My WAG is either that is the way the newer versions work or my true AppleSMBIOS is not matched for this version of the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.

Hi which AppleACPIPlatfrom.kext do you use - the old one V1.0.X, 1.1.X (which maybe is the reason that it works) or the newer one, Version 1.2.1 (Finderinfo). ?

Can you see (start Terminal, type kextstat) that the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext is listed (means loaded) ?

I have seen (to late) that one user post (2 or 3 before my queszion) says : The AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext has Problems if

AppleACPIPlatfrom.kext V1.2.1 is installed.

Maybe it get fixed in the future, or maybe i can change something in code / .plist (ProbeScore ?!) to get it fixed.

I'm almost there....

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: System Product Name

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Why is my model name and Model Identifier not coming up correctly?

I'm almost there....

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: System Product Name

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Why is my model name and Model Identifier not coming up correctly?

Perhaps you also use the newest AppleACPIPlatfrom.kext (1.2.1) ? Maybe thats the problem for us.

Perhaps you also use the newest AppleACPIPlatfrom.kext (1.2.1) ? Maybe thats the problem for us.

I am using 1.2.1 but having the same issue, it only reads as Mac for the Model name and the Model Identifier is VGN-TZ150N, the model of my Sony Vaio

I am using 1.2.1 but having the same issue, it only reads as Mac for the Model name and the Model Identifier is VGN-TZ150N, the model of my Sony Vaio

You have same issuue because of using 1.2.1, as me too. Older versions seem to work.

I'm not sure anyone has touched on this so far... I've been using the 9.2.0 ToH SpeedStep kernel with the 9.2.0 System.kext, and nothing I did would change my bus speed. It always read 100Mhz no matter what AppleSMBIOS.kext I used, and no matter whether I used one of the several helper kexts for AppleSMBIOS. Also designating boot args (some of the versions of AppleSMBIOS allow this) of FSB=800 made no difference.

My Vostro 1500 had started to make some odd noises during intensive copying to external drives, and as of 10.5.4 it no longer allows 800Mhz as the lowest SpeedStep speed. Considering I only have a 1.4Ghz Core2Duo, the only savings I was getting was 1.2Ghz. I decided to just go back to the 10.5.4 vanilla kernel and vanilla 9.4.0 System.kext.

Guess what, 800Mhz shows up as the bus speed in System Profiler for I think the first time ever. It seems the SpeedStep kernels had 100Mhz FSB hard-coded into them. If you're having a lot of problems with that, this might explain it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a couple of 2gb sticks and with AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext the memory page in system profiler shows a "16 XB" size for each one.

Is this correct?

Hi VooD,

If possible, can you post the picture of it? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

So lets say I installed the AppleSMBIOS (netkas) from the iATKOS 10.5.4 DVD, could i use this?

I think the point is using the vanilla one and inject the needed values.

Sorry if this has been asked, but this work for all forms of EFI doesn't it? I'm using Netka's EFI atm, and I'm thinking of switching to Chameleon EFI, shouldn't cause any problems should it?

I am on Chameleon, works fine over here Vanilla Kernel

Hi VooD,

Sorry that I haven't found the reason why it didn't show informaiton correctly yet.

Chun-Nan

Ok, let me know if you need any more info about.

Btw, that problem shouldn't affect system stability, am I right?

Edit: I've just tested AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext 28 with my own computer (specs in the signature) and shows the correct size, 2x1gb stick DIMMS and even shows DDR2 without having to correct the memory type in apple.com.Boot.plist. The other computer was a Q6600 with a Asus P5E Wifi AP and I needed to add the memory type in the boot file. Is not mine, so I won't be able to make tests any soon.

You have same issuue because of using 1.2.1, as me too. Older versions seem to work.

Hi Chu-Nan & all,

I have exactly the same problem. I have a Lenovo T60 with Boot 132 thing, so installed straight form retail DVD, upgraded to 10.5.4. I had to change only 5 kekts. Everything is worlkng, except mic and AppleSMBIOS... I'm using ACPI 1.2.1, I'm able to load the SMBIOSEFI, but I have problem with CPU recognition (I can't see the cpu model at all) and memeory banks being recognized but with glitches in memory frequency.

Unfortunatly Aperture is not working anymore (was working fine in 10.5.2) and have other problems, i.e. Lotus Notes refusing to install and saying I have a PPC... hoping that CPU recognition will be fixed, I was wondering if there is a way to tell my CPU is a Core Duo.

Should you need any help in fixing that, just let me know, very willing to help!

Thanks a lot!

After having used the latest kext here (28), my Quartz Extreme was suddenly disabled. The Adobe CS3 suite started to work though. Anyone know the reason for this? Have used iATkos v4i 10.5.4 and most stuff worked brilliantly before installing AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext 28.

After having used the latest kext here (28), my Quartz Extreme was suddenly disabled. The Adobe CS3 suite started to work though. Anyone know the reason for this? Have used iATkos v4i 10.5.4 and most stuff worked brilliantly before installing AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext 28.

I think you should use kabyl's smbiosenabler.kext for Leopard instead of Chun-nan's one. It looks a bit more complete (no need for boot settings aparently). On the other side, Kabyl's one is not working on Tiger but Chun-nan's does (and pretty well ;), except for minor problems).