[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

Ok.. soo the Ip address I got assigned to my virtual machine came from the host only based connection. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to share the internet connection.

As for the rest still no network connection. When I use bridged connection or NAT or create my own vmadapter no connection for me :P

Anyway, gonna crash for tonight been long enough now :P

Maybe the magic leopard feary will come by my house tonight and fix the problem :)

I finally got this working. Took like 3 minutes to boot, but that's alright.

My ethernet won't work, and I tried both methods posted on the first post. I guess I won't be able to install apps, etc while in this VM.

One question - if this VM works fine on my computer, does that mean that all my actual, physical hardware is compatible with it? Or does VMWare "transform" my physical devices into compatible virtual devices?

If my physical hardware is compatible, I'm firing up my Ubuntu livecd...

EDIT: Also, are there any drivers for the wusb54g v2? I know v4 works, but I have the v2 and I'm not going to buy another wireless card. If there are no native drivers or kexts for the v2, can I use ndiswrapper? I got my v2 to work in ubuntu by using ndiswrapper, if that has any significance...

Actually, disregard the above as I may have a solution...My next question:

EDIT2: If I dd the img of this VM to a partition on my SATA disk, will OSX be able to boot, or will I get the infamous "waiting for root device" message? Can this be avoided by adding a kext to the VM?

Ok. Nevermind. I installed again and it works this time. The only thing I can't do is change the resolution, even when using "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" but I can live with the way it is now. I will probably give this vmware Leo4all image a shot later and let you know how it goes.

;)

Thanks, PCWIZ it all worked sweet as a nut for me - I downloaded the machine from Rapidshare which worked really well. I too have the issue where the network connection dissappears on reboot but I can always get it back by fiddling around with active/inactive and DHCP. Will look at this more closely this morning to see if I can find an easy consistent method and will post back if I do. I can confirm that it is also wants to do the Leopard Graphics Update but will not install time machine update as you suggested.

One issue I do have is that my display is 1400x1050 even though I set it to 1680x1050 in plist - can't seem to shift it - any ideas?

Regards

CJ

parm289,

If it works it means that your CPU is compatible but pretty much nothing else. If you DD it (first convert leopard.vmdk to leopard.img) it should work. In theory that is, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Its the same way people install the Leopard Flat Image so it should work.

ADoNuT33,

Glad it works ;) P.S. Its not Leo4All, its Leo4VMware which is based on Leo Flat (BrazilMac), has nothing to do with Leo4All even though the names are similar :D

CJ1045,

Happens to me to. The resolution is always somewhat lower than what you set it to. Set it to something higher than 1680x1050 and maybe it will actually BE 1680x1050 if you catch my point :P

Has anyone figured out how to get the Ethernet working?

I have tried both methods to setup Ethernet and neither one works. Currently in Leopard, my ethernet card has an Ethernet ID (MAC address) of 00:00:00:00:00:00. VMWare has generated a MAC address but Leopard is using it.

How do I get Leopard to use the VMWare generated MAC address?

I am using WinXP Pro as a host and VMware Workstation 6.0 build 45731.

I got a message saying my processor is VT capable but not VT enabled. Went to BIOS and enabled Intel's Virtualization thingie.

My boot stalls at a gray screen with a bitten apple on it :) Any ideas?

Now running it with the debug info option on...

Edit: Tried running the .toh from the boot prompt it doesn't move beyond the gray screen with the apple logo :(

And I when do a -v :

post-207012-1207642798_thumb.jpg

Edit: Removed the CD from the VM conf. Same old same old. Nothing happens after the applegenericpcatadriver message.

Edit: Removed the scsi entries now it has moved beyond the earlier message. Booting with -v and now can see it chugging along slowly. Now stuck at

post-207012-1207645627_thumb.jpg

I got a message about CreateDSRRecord(...).

Yes at last I booted into OS X but only seems to work if I use the older kernel with mach_kernel.toh. Is there something I can do about this? I would like my OSX to boot like the other VMs without typing cryptic commands :) It's so NOT easy to click on the Vm and press F8 quickly enough either :D

Edit: Woohoo it runs!!! My first ever time working on a Mac. ~pcwiz you want a hug? :guitar: Yayy!!

Anyways I made a change to the conf to use one of the Custom ethernet adapters created by vmware Vmnet8 after that it booted right. It takes a long time to boot and is very slow after booting too. Internet doesn't work. Have to check sound, video etc.

I am using VmWare Server 1.0.5.

Specs:

Dell Latitude D630

Intel Centrino Duo

Win XP

2 GB Ram - 1GB for the VM.

I got everything patched, but when I went to load Leopard it gave me a calibation failed with 2 attempts message and just hung there. I'm going to try and re-patch and then try again, but any other ideas? Tiger is running fine and I do have an AMD. If you need my full system specs they are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ OC'd at 2.81 GHz

6 GB DDR2 RAM (PC 6400)

Vista 64-bit Ultimate + SP1

GeForce 880 GTS (320 MB I believe, possibly 640 I'll have to get back to you on that)

3 HDD with the main OS being on my Sata 3.0Gb/s

[EDIT]

I re-patched it and loaded it up. It booted to the loading screen with the apple, but was stuck there when I left for work. I believe it was about 10 minutes when I left. I'll check on my lunch and see.

Hi, This is excellent PCWIZ. I have gone through the forum and found out I cant get graphics to 1280 x 800, but that is fine.

I have a D620 and I think I have got my ethernet working (shows up but cant test). Problem is I can only connect via wireless.

My question is

Is it possible to get wireless to work? I have seen no mention of this on this forum.

Cheers

Matt

achytanand,

VMware is not good enough to do that. You need a native install.

parm289,

Yeah, assuming you are on Windows here is what you need to do:

* Download the patched qemu-img.zip here

* Create a new folder on the C drive called "leo"

* Unzip the qemu_img.zip file into that folder so qemu-img.exe goes in there

* Drag the leopard.vmdk file and stick it in the leo folder

* Open a new command prompt and run these commands:

cd C:/leo
 qemu-img convert -O img leopard.vmdk leopard.img

Wait till its done, you should have a leopard.img file in the leo folder. Use DD to write that to a partition and you should be OK. You need to set up a bootloader to get it to boot though (if you are dual booting)

Hi pcwiz,

I have tried to convert the vmdk file bak into a img file, but I get an error message saying

unknown file format '(null)'

Any ideas why it wont work?

*Fixed, just found out the command

It should be

qemu-img convert -O raw leopard.vmdk leopard.img

Well, home on lunch and still stuck at the apple loading screen. I ended up restarting it and trying the mach_kernal.toh and that ended up working after a few resets. Now just to get the ethernet working :D...gonna try the tutorial on front and see how it goes.

[EDIT]

Ok, back at work now, but tried both tutorials before I left and neither worked. Both ways resulted in the following error message:

IP Configuration

5.9.173.176 in use by (mac address removed)

DHCP Servers 5.0.0.1

Now the only thing that I can think of is that I use a program called Hamachi that acts like a virtual network and that ip is the virtual ip that it gave my PC. I'm pretty sure I had Hamachi running and will try closing it when I get home to see if that helps. Any other ideas/help are welcome and appreciated. Thanks

hi,

I have installed pcwiz's Leopard VMware image on a intel machine with no probs, but when i try on my amd x2 4400, I run marvins amd patch, on the third stage patch all with simulation ticked i get an error message

"warning patch address verification failed because binary is still encrypted"

Does anybody have any ideas

Hi, This is excellent PCWIZ. I have gone through the forum and found out I cant get graphics to 1280 x 800, but that is fine.

I have a D620 and I think I have got my ethernet working (shows up but cant test). Problem is I can only connect via wireless.

My question is

Is it possible to get wireless to work? I have seen no mention of this on this forum.

Cheers

Matt

Ignore this. (sorry i am a noob) I just found out what bridged means and have it working.

I was finally able to the Ethernet working using NAT. The IP address was shown in the Network dialog box but I still could not get to the internet. I run ifconfig and discovered that my Ethernet adapter did not have a MAC address.

I used the following terminal command to update the MAC address:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

where XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is the ethernet0.generatedAddress value from the VMX file.

I was able to run Apple Software Updates (without installing the Time Machine update). Unfortunately, after the update completed I am unable to get the Ethernet working. I tried stopping and starting the Ethernet service but could not get an IP Address.

Has anyone successfully installed the updates (minus the Time Machine update) and been able to get the Ethernet working?

Luckily I made a snapshot before performing the update so all is not lost. (Thanks for the reminder pcwiz! :) )

FYI, I am using VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 Build 80004 on a Dell Latitude D820 with XP Pro.

Nice job RinkRat! Yeah, I haven't applied any updates yet, and I don't plan to. Updates IMHO are not really necessary for a VMware install...its not like you're going to be doing a whole lot on the VM. Glad you made a snapshot, they really are useful.

It is written that subj only for Intel and

It is possible to get this to work with AMD and SSE2 but you have to do that yourself

Thanks for

Patching for AMD SSE3
sections. But could somebody give explanation what to do with SSE2 for noobies?

Sorry, if I miss somethink in topic