[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

The idea is to edit that file till it matches your machine conf. Did you try booting with -v option? You can then take a screenshot of where it stops and post it or analyze the messages yourself. If it is a device issue it can most likely be fixed by having a minimal hadrware conf.

One tip is to create a new configuration in VMWare see the settings it generates and try to mix and match. I know it's not a perfect way but unless you are an expert who knows every vmware setting that is a better way. I also had VMs running for linux and solaris so I could refer to those files too.

Look at the screenshot

post-212320-1207904025_thumb.jpg

Quick win for those using WS6.5 beta. I used the following settings and got networking running. Won't work for WS6.0 as darwin-64 isn't included. There is definitely the first code in the beta for Mac OS X use, as we all know Fusion is getting it, and the code base is shared. So my VMX file now has these lines:

ethernet0.address = "00:50:56:11:22:33"

ethernet0.addressType = "static"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

guestOS = "darwin-64"

My entire vmx file is attached, renamed as txt to allow upload. Also screen shot showing network settings. USB is changed as well as there are now fully working USB keyboard and mouse in the setup. However didn't get a USB key recognized.

leopard.txt

post-142645-1207925479_thumb.png

post-142645-1207925499_thumb.png

Yes it does for me using both wired and wireless host adapters. I also noticed the mouse seamlessly moves in and out of the VMware window without any tools being installed.

Yes it does for me using both wired and wireless host adapters. I also noticed the mouse seamlessly moves in and out of the VMware window without any tools being installed.

With VMWare Server 1.0.5 I use a USB mouse it never was an issue. I don't have a USB keyboard to try. When I connect a USB hard disk my OS X crashes. If possible can you connect a USB storage device and check?

Look at the screenshot post-212320-1207904025_thumb.jpg
Shan974, That ACPI_SMC error seems to indicate a BIOS/processor problem. You need someone more knowledgeable than me :D What is your hardware configuration? If you are using an AMD machine did you follow the instructions in the first post?
I have tried a USB memory stick and it isn't recognized.
:D Hope someone comes up with a fix for USB.

Can you run VMWare, and/or Leopard 10.5.2 on an ASUS eeePC? (I'm planning on buying one, as they are very cheap... with at least one linux distro running, and hopefully leopard 10.5.2!) I'd like to try a multi-boot... with: one "GOOD" linux distro, Leopard 10.5.2, and perhaps (not a high priority) Windows XP as well.

What do you think?

Is it possible?

Has it been done before?

Am I posting in the wrong section?!?

Please reply with comments/answers!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Can you run VMWare, and/or Leopard 10.5.2 on an ASUS eeePC? (I'm planning on buying one, as they are very cheap... with at least one linux distro running, and hopefully leopard 10.5.2!) I'd like to try a multi-boot... with: one "GOOD" linux distro, Leopard 10.5.2, and perhaps (not a high priority) Windows XP as well.

What do you think?

Is it possible?

Has it been done before?

Am I posting in the wrong section?!?

Please reply with comments/answers!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Yes you are posting in the wrong section :) This is a post for a particular install of Leopard. Start a new topic in this section and more people will read it. Anyway all this on a Eee PC? I doubt you will find the disk space or have enough memory or processing power. They are cheap for a reason!!!

Well, pcwiz, it does work. Using Workstation 6.0.0

Didn't boot 1st time. Edited com.apple.Boot.plist from my 10.4.8 VMware install to add Timeout.

Then booted -v successfully.

But its slower than molasses. 10.4.8 is at least usable in VMware (barely).

So I'm going to stick with dual boot, and 10.4.8 when I need VMware.

Still, you did prove you could do it.

Panarchy, wrong place to post this. You could run VMware, but you wouldn't get much out of it with the eeePCs horrible specs, people have installed Leopard on it before but it was too unusable.

wmarsh,

Yeah I know its extremely slow, but for me 10.4.8 and 10.5.2 run at more or less the same speed. I have no clue what technical problems make it so slow, probably the virtual hardware. If we could somehow get VMware Tools ported over it would probably be better. But see they are developing VMware Tools for Leopard because Apple have VMware and Parallels licenses to virtualize Leo Server. So when VMware Tools comes out for Leopard we could em...borrow it and hopefully get full hardware/software support :)

Yes you are posting in the wrong section :( This is a post for a particular install of Leopard. Start a new topic in this section and more people will read it. Anyway all this on a Eee PC? I doubt you will find the disk space or have enough memory or processing power. They are cheap for a reason!!!

Okay thanks. Please let's continue this conversation on: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98980

Panarchy, wrong place to post this. You could run VMware, but you wouldn't get much out of it with the eeePCs horrible specs, people have installed Leopard on it before but it was too unusable.

Ok... please also join the topic here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98980

If you have some more info/help for me.

Alright I took pcwiz's vmware image and booted another hard drive with it and installed server on it in vmware then rebooted into it natively. I then did the combo update for servers changed the applesmibios.kext and rebooted back to vista and vmware. This time Itried to boot into the server drive only well I booted leopard server on vmware. Now the problem I can't use the mouse and keyboard. I have tried ps2 and usb neither work. I have tried pcwiz's appleacpiplatform.kext and appleps2controller.kext, but still no go. when I boot pcwiz I have fully working mouse and keyboard, so I know it should work. Please someone point me to the magic kext from pcwiz's Thanks for all the help.

Donk I have tried your config file with pcwiz's image, When I start the VM, it wont let me press F8, it also comes up with an error message in a pop up.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Have you got the error message?

Now have USB working using the generic USB driver from this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559. Download the driver from here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=17836. To install copy it to a folder then using a terminal prompt:

sudu su

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCI.kext .

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCI.kext

cp -R PCGenUSBEHCI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

Again this working for me using the WS65 beta.

Another quick tip if you are using the beta and want better speeds. The beta forces the debug version of the core vmware-vmx.exe process to run. You can copy vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe and it will bypass all the debug code in the beta.

@pcwiz

Finally got marvin's utility to work and I now have a running vmware Leopard! On AMD no less. It runs just as well as Tiger or better. I had to run vmware in XP x64 in order to use Marvin's utility without the machine locking up. Not sure why that happened but o well.

The only thing now is I want to change the resolution in com.apple.boot.plist but I can't seem to find it. I assume it is there, but how do I go about showing hidden files?

Thanks for all of your work!

should I use your config to get pcwiz's Leopard image working with WS6.5 Beta?

Either will work. Mine just increases the reliability of the network connection. Also sorts out some reboot issues that I experienced, that is why the monitor_control statements are in there.

Donk,

Thanks for the file and work using 6.5 Beta. It sorts out two issues for me (PCWIZ you should take note too re screen res) - I now have a persistant and CONNECTED network and now also have full 1680x1050 screen res. Stil the system is real slow as the Beta is running in Debug mode - any tips on how to switch this off? VMware indicates that you can't. The only thing I did was to overight my vmx settings with the file you posted. I did need to then go into Network settings, allow it to find my 'new' network adaptor then hit 'Apply'.

Hopefully the release version will retain the Darwin features - maybe even VMtools.

Thanks

CJ

Hi Donk,

JUst to let you know I finally got rid of the error message window, I did what you said.

I moved the vmware-vmx-debug.exe and renamed vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe and that seemed to get rid of the error message.

The only problem I have now is that when I start the VM running with an ethernet adaptor connected it gets so far and then freezes.

Any ideas how to get past this?

Odd!!

I:

1. Renamed vmware-vmx-debug.exe to vmware-vmx-debug-old.exe

2. Renamed vmware-vmx.exe vmware-vmx-debug.exe

My vista32 image then worked a treat but Leopard said it needed vmware-vmx.exe

So I:

3. Copied vmware-vmx-debug.exe to vmware-vmx.exe

And now all are happily working in none debug mode.

CJ