[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

Thank you pcwiz, for your work.

I succesfully run AMD patched Leopard on VMware.

But anyone tried to install XCode 3.0?

Installation is ok, but XCode crushes, showing upper menu before the crash sometimes.

PS:

If someone needs, I can put AMD-patched Leopard VM on torrent.

Hi,

i installed Tiger and Leopard using your guides, they are both working but running very slowly :)

Tiger boots up in 1-2 min (that's ok) but the navigation through menus, finder, etc are really slow.

Same for Leopard but it takes 25-30min to get to the desktop; with -v option, i see that between two log entry (with timestamps) when the VM says it tooks 2-3 seconds, it was 2-3 min in fact ;) as if VMWare was doing useless things all the time

Running on VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 build 80004

ASUS A8N5X with a X2 4400+ cpu

2go ram and a 8800gts

SATA hdd and Daemon Tools for cddrive

Before your guides, i tried a pre-made disk with Tiger 10.4.1 and it was working quite well, so i don't understand why it's so slow...

Thx in advance

(and sorry for my english... :P)

prayag,

Yes its been tested and confirmed working on 32 bit.

protagonistic,

Yeah several people have reported that. Try booting with "mach_kernel.toh" (without quotes) in the F8 boot prompt. Maybe try an older version of Xcode? Sure, you can put the AMD version on torrent if you want (just mention that the original is by me ;))

Davide_,

Sure, but same thing, make sure you mention the original is by me :)

MrLuje,

It seems that as the versions go by its slower. Try these speed up tips. But Leopard boot should only typically take 5-10 minutes, don't know why its that slow.

hotmonkeayc,

Yes I believe you can. Go to the New Virtual Machine wizard and choose Custom, choose:

Processors: 1

RAM: half your system memory

Ethernet: Use bridged

Hard Disk: Use existing virtual hard disk, browse to the leopard.vmdk file included in this package

Guest OS: Other >> Version: FreeBSD 64 bit

Leave everything else as default and boot it. Should work, if you want you can go into the VMs BIOS and disable all Parallel/Serial/Floppy, it makes boot faster.

I've managed to figure out how to get ethernet working again after a reboot:

Goto Network Preferences and select the ethernet adaptor.

Click on the little gear icon and select make service inactive.

Click apply.

Click on the gear icon again and select make service active.

Click apply.

Voila, you should have ethernet again.

Cool medw1974! :hysterical: I will try that if Ethernet goes out again, thanks :)

P.S. Someone from my site said that part 26 wasn't downloading right from FileFactory so I reuploaded it and I changed the text file.

Someone needs to describe a method for enabling a shared folder.

For when: the host system is Windows XP (or Vista) using NTFS, and the guest system is Leopard OSX.

The VM Ware "shared folders" feature has worked fine, when both the host and the guest O.S.'s are Windows XP.

The extremely slow speed of the current versions of VM Ware and Leopard are somewhat reminiscent of

running OSX Tiger using PearPC. There was a 3rd party networking software ("CCProxy"), that enabled internet access

while running OSX Tiger.

CCProxy

hay i have a intel duel core 2.6, and am planing to buy a new mother board and a grafix card if needed, my primary objective is to run FCP with duel monitor output can you please suggest a good configuration for the same. thanks a million

If I test this image out in vmware and decide to make it a physical install (using qemu-img and dd it to a partition), would it create a valid physical install? Basically what I'm asking is if I can use this image to install leopard (by dding it) rather than say kalyway or iatkos.

Very nice work btw, and filefactory is awesome - I managed to get 29 parts in about an hour (10 parallel downloads at a time!).

achytanand,

VMware is not good enough to do that. You need a native install.

parm289,

Yeah, assuming you are on Windows here is what you need to do:

* Download the patched qemu-img.zip here

* Create a new folder on the C drive called "leo"

* Unzip the qemu_img.zip file into that folder so qemu-img.exe goes in there

* Drag the leopard.vmdk file and stick it in the leo folder

* Open a new command prompt and run these commands:

cd C:/leo
qemu-img convert -O img leopard.vmdk leopard.img

Wait till its done, you should have a leopard.img file in the leo folder. Use DD to write that to a partition and you should be OK. You need to set up a bootloader to get it to boot though (if you are dual booting)

pcwiz, thaks forthe reply. I actualy dual boot gutsy and xp, so i already have grub set up. I was thinking of doing the whole virtual machine setup and dd on ubuntu, so i guess the process andcommands hould be the same. Just wanted to make sure that this image is safe for a physical install.

Yeah, the commands would be the same but if you are using the linux version of qemu-img the command would be:

qemu-img convert leopard.vmdk -O img leopard.img

And of course the file paths are different :D

Hello everybody,

First PCwiz thanks for your image :D it's the first that works great on my pc.

Only problem I'm having, and from what I've seen more are having, is that I can't get my network (ethernet) to work.

I've tried every solution I could find in this topic but nothing works. Brigded, NAT you name it even the AMDpc file or editing the vmx file. I tried removing every location except for automatic. I removed the Ethernet adapter in Leopard self and added it again but once again nothing.

It just keeps saying "Cable unplugged", also manually entered ip address nothing :D.

Anyone got some ideas?

Dw33n

Have you tried medw1974's suggestion:

I've managed to figure out how to get ethernet working again after a reboot:

Goto Network Preferences and select the ethernet adaptor.

Click on the little gear icon and select make service inactive.

Click apply.

Click on the gear icon again and select make service active.

Click apply.

Voila, you should have ethernet again.

Yeah I've also tried that, I even linked the wlan adapter I use to connect to the internet directly to the bridged network (using virtual network settings). I don't know if it helps my host OS is Windows vista business x64.

I'ts too bad though because the rest workes superb ;)

[edit: 11 minutes later]

I seem to have made some sort of progress, my ethernet adapter in the virtual machine now gets an IP address assigned.

What I did was the following:

* System preferences

* Network

* Go to the (dno how it's called) the cockwork thingy?

* Set service order

And in there I dragged the ethernet adapter to the top.

It opened up a whole other world :P

hotmonkeayc,

Yes I believe you can. Go to the New Virtual Machine wizard and choose Custom, choose:

Processors: 1

RAM: half your system memory

Ethernet: Use bridged

Hard Disk: Use existing virtual hard disk, browse to the leopard.vmdk file included in this package

Guest OS: Other >> Version: FreeBSD 64 bit

Leave everything else as default and boot it. Should work, if you want you can go into the VMs BIOS and disable all Parallel/Serial/Floppy, it makes boot faster.

Hmm, I tried this and I didn't have any luck. I disabled everything in the BIOS and when it starts up I just get the apple screen (no spinning wheel). I've tried to boot it with "mach_kernel" and "mach_kernel.toh" and still no luck. When I boot it with "-v" it gets stuck at the following:

AppleGenericPCATaDriver: CMD, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14.

I've attached a screenshot for you to see. Any ideas??

post-54812-1207425932_thumb.png

One more question - if I install and use the vdmk in VMWare, and configure it the way I want, can I then use qemu to make the img file that contains all my customizations? Let's say I install a bunch of application - if I then convert it to img and dd it, will the install contain all the installed apps?

hotmonkeayc,

Not really sure. I have never had success with Workstation 5.5, it always hanged like that. Try adding the line:

paevm="true"

To the config file.

parm289,

Yes it will contain the apps ;)

parm289,Yes it will contain the apps smile.gif
Ok then, sounds good to me! I'm unraring right now, off to install it in VMWare...I tried to open the freebsd config file for the virtual machine in the newest windows version of VMWare Server, but I got an error saying that the file was created on another form of VMWare with more features than mine. It refused to let me open it. Any sugestions?