[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

I'm not sure. For network, try clicking on the lock icon to lock settings. Try doing the same for display. The VM tools are made by gnubeard, not me :D I just converted the DMG to an ISO and put it up as a mirror (with permission from gnubeard). Just don't want to take credit for what others have done :D

EDIT: Just for fun, I'm gonna try mounting this image in VirtualBox to see if it works :)

Thats weird. It might be somehow related to how VMware handles the disk image.

EDIT: Tried it with VirtualBox, gets as far as "Loading Darwin/x86" but then immediately after that I get an error from VirtualBox that PAE mode is not supported in VirtualBox. If VirtualBox gets PAE support, it could be a possibility for running OS X on :D

Guest iPod Hacka

What about my question?

How can I install this without downloading your image?

I just wanna install it from the ISO or the DVD...

NSCXP,

I usually end up Pausing it. Saving settings doesn't seem to work too well.

iPod Hacka,

I wrote a guide to do this manually. Find it here. :rolleyes:

I'll be starting a new section in my replies for progress on VirtualBox. Heres the first entry :P

Progress on VirtualBox:

VirtualBox is good open source virtualization software and its free unlike VMware. Its also said that it runs OSes much faster than VMware does. For these reasons, I'll give it a little try to get Leo working in VirtualBox. So my progress, I mounted the leopard hard disk (VirtualBox can work natively with VMware hd images) and I booted it up for the first time. Loading Darwin/x86 flashed up on the screen and then VB gave me a PAE error saying that the kernel was using PAE, which it didn't support. I also tried it with -v -x -legacy, this time it showed all the kexts loading but as soon as it finished, the PAE error came up again. As I see it, the only way to get around this would be to use an OS X kernel with PAE disabled (not sure if thats even possible) or to get or wait for a version of VirtualBox that supports PAE.

That concludes Progress on VirtualBox for now :(

Guest iPod Hacka
NSCXP,

I usually end up Pausing it. Saving settings doesn't seem to work too well.

iPod Hacka,

I wrote a guide to do this manually. Find it here. :(

Thanks! :P

EDIT: Do I still have to download the flat image? :rolleyes:

Where can I download it?

Daniel W.

This can be run on VMware Server and VMware Player, both of which are free :)

Toaster,

You know that probably really isn't a good idea. They will consume your bandwith like crazy and next thing you know your website will be taken down....

sightseeing51,

Thats not possible. A PPF can only be made for a file with the same exact length/size.

EDIT: I'm converting the VMDK to VHD to use with Virtual PC 2007 using a handy converter util I found. Taking a long time though because its converting it sector to sector.

EDIT2: *grumble* VirtualPC yields the same result as VirtualBox. I can go as far as the kext load but as soon as kext loading is done, I get the "unrecoverable processor error" of DOOM :)

~pcwiz,

You told me that: "Open your VMware config file and change the guest OS to guestOS=darwin and try".

I have opened the VMware configuration file and added the line "guestOS=darwin" (withou quotes) at the end.

But VMware still has a message "The CPU has been disable by the guest OS..."

Please help me to configure or simulate the 64bit guest OS as a 32bit one. My CPU can run 64bit OS in real machine but the it can not run 64bit virtual one (as VMware said).

Yes I got it working with the second method. Here is what com.apple.Boot.plist should look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
		<key>kernel</key>
		<string>mach_kernel</string>
		<key>Kernel Flags</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>Graphics Mode</key>
		<string>1280x1024x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I changed that plist but can't copy it from the Desktop to /Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration (permission denied) in a terminal.

In Finder I could actually copy the file after authentication, but unfortunately it soes not set resolutition accordingly (1280x800). Also after the reboot the network stopped working.

What's the root password (it's not pcwiz) as I would like to sudo things?

Hi mate,

The password is "pcwiz" all in lowercase. The resolution does not change. I have notice about the network problem myself, did you do a system update? if you did, remember you can not install time machine update as it messes up the kernel.

Did you install AirPort?

Hi mate,

The password is "pcwiz" all in lowercase. The resolution does not change. I have notice about the network problem myself, did you do a system update? if you did, remember you can not install time machine update as it messes up the kernel.

Did you install AirPort?

Hi, i tried "su" from a terminal and it did not accept pcwiz. I also tried "passwd root" and it did not accept pcwiz for the old pass. Anyhow I could copy the file using Finder, but like I said I don't get the 1280x800

Wrt the network problems, I did not do a sw update. I only rebooted it after changing the plist for the resolution.

Will try Maxxuss-AMDPCNET-v1.0_1043 network driver later.

Btw: I'm on a Dell D620 with 4GB ram and 32-bit WinXP with VMWare 6.03build80004

Leopard gets 2GB and boots in around 5 minutes.