Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

Hi LioNEXT!

I've follow you pos#1,but my USB(Flash Drive, Removable Drive, iPhone...) still not working.

I type the (kextstat | grep "USB") i see only:

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub

I really need your help.

My spec & system:

Leo4Allv3 Kernel: Darwin 9.2.0

ASUS F8SV c2D T7250 2Ghz (Worked)

RAM DDR-2 2GHz (Worked)

GeForce 8600mGT (worked)

ALC660 (Worked)

Bluetooth (Worked)

RTL8168 (Worked)

Wifi 4965AGN (not work)

USB (not work)

shutdown (problem)

Thanks

Hi LioNEXT!

I've follow you pos#1,but my USB(Flash Drive, Removable Drive, iPhone...) still not working.

I type the (kextstat | grep "USB") i see only:

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub

I really need your help.

My spec & system:

Leo4Allv3 Kernel: Darwin 9.2.0

ASUS F8SV c2D T7250 2Ghz (Worked)

RAM DDR-2 2GHz (Worked)

GeForce 8600mGT (worked)

ALC660 (Worked)

Bluetooth (Worked)

RTL8168 (Worked)

Wifi 4965AGN (not work)

USB (not work)

shutdown (problem)

Thanks

you are missing the following kexts: AppleUSBComposite, IOUSBHIDDriver and IOUSBMassStorageClass (either not present in extensions folder of system/library or not loading). If you follow through the thread, you can see i have said how to add all the missing kexts in individual daemons and have them loaded at startup. Since you have shutdown problem also, i suggest you check with new Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel (toh based) and see if that solves first. then you can go on to check again what kexts are not loaded.

following three daemons you would need to be created separately for loading following kexts.

kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite

kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver

kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

Great stuff, it worked like a charm for me!

Another thing that might interest some people:

I had the same problem when connecting my Panasonic NV-GS27 DV-cam to my Audigy 2 ZS firewire plug, only recognized if connected during boot etc, so I thought what the heck, let's try it for firewire too! I noticed through kextstat that a certain kext was loaded when the camera was connected at boot, namely the com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC. So i used the same exact steps from your guide, made a user daemon named FWstarter and added the command kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC instead. Now I can hotplug my camera as well without any hassle! Thanks for inadvertently fixing both these problems for me, LioNEXT! :thumbsup_anim:

Great stuff, it worked like a charm for me!

Another thing that might interest some people:

I had the same problem when connecting my Panasonic NV-GS27 DV-cam to my Audigy 2 ZS firewire plug, only recognized if connected during boot etc, so I thought what the heck, let's try it for firewire too! I noticed through kextstat that a certain kext was loaded when the camera was connected at boot, namely the com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC. So i used the same exact steps from your guide, made a user daemon named FWstarter and added the command kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC instead. Now I can hotplug my camera as well without any hassle! Thanks for inadvertently fixing both these problems for me, LioNEXT! :thumbsup_anim:

:welcomeani::smoke:

Well, good for you that you shot two birds with one stone!

Actually, I am slowly figuring out that this small app is a gem. It is much like an automator for loading stuff like applications, scripts, etc at desired time. I came to know that previous version of Lingon (esp Tiger) was even more powerful. somehow the author of this app has dumbed down the leopard version. Also, has anyone gotten some weird problem with the current version of the lingon (it sometimes does not save; i have to quit the app, do the required stuff again, and then save and it would sometimes work). I installed the previous 2.0.2. which i used when i started this thread, and that works fine. The author introduced an advanced settings to see the actual xml but guess it introduced some bug also.

you are missing the following kexts: AppleUSBComposite, IOUSBHIDDriver and IOUSBMassStorageClass (either not present in extensions folder of system/library or not loading). If you follow through the thread, you can see i have said how to add all the missing kexts in individual daemons and have them loaded at startup. Since you have shutdown problem also, i suggest you check with new Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel (toh based) and see if that solves first. then you can go on to check again what kexts are not loaded.

I just have a install with Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel and follow your post#1, now all of my USB work 100%(my WebCam also work too with IM,but don't work with PhotoBooth...). :D:D:D

Unforturnaly my Laptop still can't shutdown i must use the Power Button... :)

Best Regards

I installed the 9.2.0 sleep(no speedstep) kernel and i followed the guide ( i used Lingon but still after restart when I'm execute the command kextstat | grep "usb" i got this kext:

32 9 0x34240000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.3) <7 6 5 4>

33 0 0x34295000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.0.3) <32 17 7 6 5 4>

34 0 0x343b8000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.3) <32 17 7 6 5 4>

40 0 0x34789000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.3) <32 6 5 4>

42 0 0x34960000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.3) <32 6 5 4>

53 0 0x34dc6000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <32 5 4>

54 1 0x34eea000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.3) <32 21 6 5 4>

anyway my disk on key is working but my wireless works only if i uninstall it and reinstall without restart the computer, after i restart it say " no device" (even if i re-plug it..)

thanks.

Thanks LioNEXT. This helped me out, have it working great using kernal 9.2.0 Kalyway 10.5.2.

To get my bluetooth dongle to work I also had to load the following using Lingon:

kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController

I just have a install with Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel and follow your post#1, now all of my USB work 100%(my WebCam also work too with IM,but don't work with PhotoBooth...). :P:D:D Unforturnaly my Laptop still can't shutdown i must use the Power Button... :P Best Regards
are you sure you have used the sleep kernel and not the speedstep kernel. I am pretty confident (from my and other's experience) that this 9.2.0 kernel is very good for shutdown/restart. Regarding, using photobooth app, i also had the problem. i think i solved it by using a driver. if i remember it was macam.http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
Thanks LioNEXT. This helped me out, have it working great using kernal 9.2.0 Kalyway 10.5.2.To get my bluetooth dongle to work I also had to load the following using Lingon:kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController
good to know that people are getting many other usb problems (besides pen drives and HD) solved as i said while starting this thread. :)
I installed the 9.2.0 sleep(no speedstep) kernel and i followed the guide ( i used Lingon but still after restart when I'm execute the command kextstat | grep "usb" i got this kext: 32 9 0x34240000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.3) <7 6 5 4> 33 0 0x34295000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.0.3) <32 17 7 6 5 4> 34 0 0x343b8000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.3) <32 17 7 6 5 4> 40 0 0x34789000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.3) <32 6 5 4> 42 0 0x34960000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.3) <32 6 5 4> 53 0 0x34dc6000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <32 5 4> 54 1 0x34eea000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.3) <32 21 6 5 4>anyway my disk on key is working but my wireless works only if i uninstall it and reinstall without restart the computer, after i restart it say " no device" (even if i re-plug it..)thanks.
I responded to your pm. check if that works and post here the results as i am thinking the recent version of lingon does have some bug in it.

are you sure you have used the sleep kernel and not the speedstep kernel. I am pretty confident (from my and other's experience) that this 9.2.0 kernel is very good for shutdown/restart. Regarding, using photobooth app, i also had the problem. i think i solved it by using a driver. if i remember it was macam.http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/good to know that people are getting many other usb problems (besides pen drives and HD) solved as i said while starting this thread. ;) I responded to your pm. check if that works and post here the results as i am thinking the recent version of lingon does have some bug in it.

usb not mounting issue is caused by mismatched system kext version and kernel...

if you have 9.2.0 kernel, you have to have 9.2.0 system.kext version... same goes for any version. 9.1.0 kernel 9.1.0 system.kext

9.2.2 kernel, 9.2.2 system.kext

this is the real solution, rather then loading kexts manually or writing scripts for it... try it and see...

are you sure you have used the sleep kernel and not the speedstep kernel. I am pretty confident (from my and other's experience) that this 9.2.0 kernel is very good for shutdown/restart. Regarding, using photobooth app, i also had the problem. i think i solved it by using a driver. if i remember it was macam.http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

When i got the new install i choose "Kernel 9.2.0-Sleep" no "Speed step" but shutdown problem still the same.

and I also used the MacCam,but it did't effect.

Thanks

usb not mounting issue is caused by mismatched system kext version and kernel...

if you have 9.2.0 kernel, you have to have 9.2.0 system.kext version... same goes for any version. 9.1.0 kernel 9.1.0 system.kext

this is the real solution, rather then loading kexts manually or writing scripts for it... try it and see...

Sorry sir,how do i know the kernel and system.kext is mismatch?

Sorry sir,how do i know the kernel and system.kext is mismatch?

Right click the System.kext, then click Info and it should show you the version. Changing the info.plist inside the kext won't fix it either. You actually have to get the exact file that says it's version 9.X.X (for whatever kernel version your using, if you have 9.2.0 then the version needs to be 9.2.0 for the system.kext). What I just did and actually worked was downloaded the 10.5.2 combo update and extracted the System.kext from it using Pacifist and stuck it in my extensions folder, repaired persmission ect ect. I am using Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel and it wokred beautifully.

Kudo to  Mysticus C*, solved a long time problem for me, thanks for being so clear on it. ;)

I had already stated that in the thread and someone in the post even wrote about changing the system.kext. Apparently, I was under the impression that you have to edit the system.kext. I will try to get the original 9.2.0 system.kext and see if that helps. But my question is that if you updated all other system components (through later updates), does system.kext of previous versions (along with kernel from previous versions) be compatible with the rest of the system components. I am trying to say that if it solves one problem but then you end up with some other, that just defeats the whole purpose of backtracking the versions to fix something.

Having said that, I will give it a shot now that I know where to get it from (combo update). I will modify the thread post appropriately after that. However, I will still keep this solution posted just in case the idea may help someone in some other case! :)

Thanks for a much needed thread LioNEXT!

I've been using the Lingon workaround for a few days, and it's been great.

I also fell upon an alternative that might just be as useful - set your Bios option for Plug n Play OS to 'Yes'. After I set that option, I did a fresh install and was able to hotplug USB thumb drives w/o the use of Lingon.

yeah your solution is a temporary solution but it works... the real solution is the system.kext version and kernel version matching... i m sure you know how to check each file's version, but for people who doesnt know, read genmatrix's message, it is just a matter of right clicking the file, and checking the package contents, going into contents folder, and opening the info.plist file...

inside the info.plist file is should say version number in one of the first couple of lines...

like i said, this is to check individual files' versions

for kernel version check, open termal, and type:

uname -a

it will show all details about kernel... :D cheers...

also lionext, if you collect all the system.kext versions (for your question, system.kext works w/o any problem... dont worry, it was old days when you needed to worry... :) ) in the first post for others to see and download, it will be much helpful... :)

I had already stated that in the thread and someone in the post even wrote about changing the system.kext. Apparently, I was under the impression that you have to edit the system.kext. I will try to get the original 9.2.0 system.kext and see if that helps. But my question is that if you updated all other system components (through later updates), does system.kext of previous versions (along with kernel from previous versions) be compatible with the rest of the system components. I am trying to say that if it solves one problem but then you end up with some other, that just defeats the whole purpose of backtracking the versions to fix something.

Having said that, I will give it a shot now that I know where to get it from (combo update). I will modify the thread post appropriately after that. However, I will still keep this solution posted just in case the idea may help someone in some other case! :(

yeah your solution is a temporary solution but it works... the real solution is the system.kext version and kernel version matching... i m sure you know how to check each file's version, but for people who doesnt know, read genmatrix's message, it is just a matter of right clicking the file, and checking the package contents, going into contents folder, and opening the info.plist file...inside the info.plist file is should say version number in one of the first couple of lines...like i said, this is to check individual files' versionsfor kernel version check, open termal, and type:uname -ait will show all details about kernel... -_- cheers...also lionext, if you collect all the system.kext versions (for your question, system.kext works w/o any problem... dont worry, it was old days when you needed to worry... :D ) in the first post for others to see and download, it will be much helpful... :D

so what do i do after checking the details? say if they are diffeerent

also i do not have ethernet interface at all on rig. hp amd dv6152eu, everything else works perfectly though

........also lionext, if you collect all the system.kext versions (for your question, system.kext works w/o any problem... dont worry, it was old days when you needed to worry... -_- ) in the first post for others to see and download, it will be much helpful... :D
Thanks Mysticus C*Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. I will try digging out all the kexts and the relevant patched kernels and post here. That should solve a lot of problems for lot many people. But it will take some time for me as I am midst of my office work piling on me! I will post as soon as I get everything ready, hopefully by this week. :)PS: If someone wants to pm me their modified kernel they are using, please do so. I will gather and put up all of them in one place.
so what do i do after checking the details? say if they are diffeerentalso i do not have ethernet interface at all on rig. hp amd dv6152eu, everything else works perfectly though
get the relevant system.kext. for example with 9.2.0, that would be system kext from combo update.

i think you should also add this solution as the main solution to your post#1 bcoz this is the only real solution, and yours as an extra in case people cant find the correct version... ;) dont think i m telling you what to do, just take it as a suggestion, bcoz not many people are very clever to do so... if you put all these on post#1, i can make a pkg file for all of you, so you guys can choose all the kernel and system.kext version under one installer... i will make correct titles for each version so it will be sort of noob-proof :) good luck and cheers everyone...

Thanks Mysticus C*Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. I will try digging out all the kexts and the relevant patched kernels and post here. That should solve a lot of problems for lot many people. But it will take some time for me as I am midst of my office work piling on me! I will post as soon as I get everything ready, hopefully by this week. :)PS: If someone wants to pm me their modified kernel they are using, please do so. I will gather and put up all of them in one place.get the relevant system.kext. for example with 9.2.0, that would be system kext from combo update.

i think you should also add this solution as the main solution to your post#1 bcoz this is the only real solution, and yours as an extra in case people cant find the correct version... :( dont think i m telling you what to do, just take it as a suggestion, bcoz not many people are very clever to do so... if you put all these on post#1, i can make a pkg file for all of you, so you guys can choose all the kernel and system.kext version under one installer... i will make correct titles for each version so it will be sort of noob-proof :P good luck and cheers everyone...

No, I don't take any offense. Rather I am appreciative of you to have taken some time to come here and post a relevant solution, which in the end could help me and many others. As you very rightly said, that's what I have thought to put an update in the post as the main solution. The rest of the tutorial will stay put just in case it doesn't solve the problem for some and also as a tutorial of diagnostic tool that many noobs need here (I was one of them not a very long ago & still am in certain aspects :) )

I certainly welcome your willingness to make the installer. Let's make it easier for all of us. ;)

well great then, just collect all the files togetger and post them in proper order and details, and i will make the pkg for you guys...

suggestion(s) for how the titles should be (contents can be different):

Versions

Kernels: 1) ToH, 2) Kabyl, 3) bla bla

System.kext(only one): System.kext

Kernels: 1) ToH sleep, 2) ToH SpeedStep, 3) Modbin, 4,5,6) SSE2. SSE3 AMD, etc...

Kernels: 1,2,3,... kernels with correct definitions to sort out nicely and understand easy

Kernels: 1,2,3,...

this way would be easy to categorize by version then kernels...

edit: this problem actually wouldnt happen, if dvd making guys, paid a little better attention, :D i guess not many people doing it right, they are allowing all version of kernels be installed but not the correct system.kext that correspond to right version... if they made it that way, no one would have this issue :) in the first place... guess sometimes trying to make a good dvd takes so much time, that people forget small but important details... :) one thing for sure, once mistakes learnt, a step closer to ultimate perfect dvds... (although there will be no such thing in reality, unless apple changes osx marketing strategy)

No, I don't take any offense. Rather I am appreciative of you to have taken some time to come here and post a relevant solution, which in the end could help me and many others. As you very rightly said, that's what I have thought to put an update in the post as the main solution. The rest of the tutorial will stay put just in case it doesn't solve the problem for some and also as a tutorial of diagnostic tool that many noobs need here (I was one of them not a very long ago & still am in certain aspects :P )

I certainly welcome your willingness to make the installer. Let's make it easier for all of us. :)

Hi, thanks for adding the packages.

My details are:

bash-3.2# uname -a

Darwin Cell.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

-------------------

bash-3.2# kextstat | grep "USB"

34 10 0x5ab5d000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.8) <7 6 5 4>

35 0 0x5abb1000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.0.7) <34 17 7 6 5 4>

37 0 0x5ae9c000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.7) <34 17 7 6 5 4>

45 0 0x5b35a000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <34 6 5 4>

47 0 0x5b3e6000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.7) <34 6 5 4>

52 0 0x5b720000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <34 5 4>

53 0 0x5b808000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass (2.0.0) <48 41 34 12>

57 2 0x5bab5000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.5) <34 21 6 5 4>

--------------------

I can't connect my Iphone (it's not detected) mass storage units are detected, but once unplugged, it won't detect it anymore.

I've checked my system.kext version and it says 9.2.2 (not 9.2.0).

Upgrading the Kernel to 9.2.2 do you think it will fix it rather than downgrading the system.kext?

Thank you.

Hi, thanks for adding the packages.

My details are:

bash-3.2# uname -a

Darwin Cell.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

-------------------

bash-3.2# kextstat | grep "USB"

34 10 0x5ab5d000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.8) <7 6 5 4>

35 0 0x5abb1000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.0.7) <34 17 7 6 5 4>

37 0 0x5ae9c000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.7) <34 17 7 6 5 4>

45 0 0x5b35a000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <34 6 5 4>

47 0 0x5b3e6000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.7) <34 6 5 4>

52 0 0x5b720000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <34 5 4>

53 0 0x5b808000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass (2.0.0) <48 41 34 12>

57 2 0x5bab5000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.5) <34 21 6 5 4>

--------------------

I can't connect my Iphone (it's not detected) mass storage units are detected, but once unplugged, it won't detect it anymore.

I've checked my system.kext version and it says 9.2.2 (not 9.2.0).

Upgrading the Kernel to 9.2.2 do you think it will fix it rather than downgrading the system.kext?

Thank you.

if your 9.2.0 is a patched kernel that fixes shutdown/restart, then you may wanna downgrade system.kext to 9.2.0. However, if that is not the case and you don't care about shutdown etc, then it is better to get 9.2.2 kernel (in Time machine update)

Hi LioNEXT,

Thank you for the response.

I've tried Netkas Kernel in the past and did the same as the one I'm using now (it doesn't shutdowns -it reboots the machine in fact, so I guess it will be the same -MSI P965 Platinum).

About the Kernel, I guess I can rip it from the TimeMachine update, but I'm using right now a grub script I've made to start my HD since it won't start by itself -I'm using a loader on Linux that allows me to select the HD to start and takes the kernel from there). I assume that will have to do a couple of tweaks to change this...

Perhaps do you have the 9.2.2 Kernel handy? To avoid at least one step.

Thank you for the guidelines.

-----

EDIT

-----

I think this will be great for my system, since I have another -probably related- problem (there's a post somewhere here) about my internal DVD IDE not being detected, and when I try to use my external one, it gives me errors trough USB and Firewire (can't burn). I hope making this change will fix that too.