Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

Hi

I have install the kalyway 10.5.2, and I have a problem with the usb, not only with the storage device, with all the devices. (mouse...)

When I start my pc, and I put the device, it work, but If I put the device in a short thime of start the system (5-15 min) it doesn´t work.

I have change the kext from the 10.4.8 (In tiger all works well) but it continue in the same way.

What is my problem?

Hi LioNEXT,Thank you for the response.I've tried Netkas Kernel in the past and did the same as the one I'm using now (it doesn't shutdowns -it reboots the machine in fact, so I guess it will be the same -MSI P965 Platinum).About the Kernel, I guess I can rip it from the TimeMachine update, but I'm using right now a grub script I've made to start my HD since it won't start by itself -I'm using a loader on Linux that allows me to select the HD to start and takes the kernel from there). I assume that will have to do a couple of tweaks to change this...Perhaps do you have the 9.2.2 Kernel handy? To avoid at least one step.Thank you for the guidelines.-----EDIT-----I think this will be great for my system, since I have another -probably related- problem (there's a post somewhere here) about my internal DVD IDE not being detected, and when I try to use my external one, it gives me errors trough USB and Firewire (can't burn). I hope making this change will fix that too.
I have netkas 9.2.0 kernel installed. but i have the time machine update in my software download folder that I can extract with Pacifist and send the kernel to you if you want. Let me know.Little off-topic, but I have a similar problem with my Lite-ON DVD that plays and burns CD but can not play DVD movie (not even mounted on desktop) and cannot burn DVD (blank DVD mounted only rarely). I learnt that Finder does not always work with most non-Apple optical drives. Toast, on the other hand, work exceptionally fine with more than 98% of these off-shelve drives. It did not work for me as well. Looks like the drive has gone dud.
HiI have install the kalyway 10.5.2, and I have a problem with the usb, not only with the storage device, with all the devices. (mouse...)When I start my pc, and I put the device, it work, but If I put the device in a short thime of start the system (5-15 min) it doesn´t work.I have change the kext from the 10.4.8 (In tiger all works well) but it continue in the same way.What is my problem?
Not sure about the mouse, but for storage devices, some of the USB kexts (or firewire kexts for that matter) do not get loaded during system startup (due system.kext not matching with kernel from which it takes the cue to load). So if your devices get picked up if the device is put before booting up, then most likely this is the problem. As posted here, try getting the same version of system.kext as your kernel. if you find it overwhelming, at least try the commands in the Terminal that I posted in #1. If that helps in firing up the devices after the system start, then you have diagnosed the problem.

Hi,

I can confirm that the mach_kernel from the Timemachine package won't let me even boot. I think it shows no error (it boots itself as soon as it enters)... tried with -v and did the same.

Had to roll back to 9.2.0. Now I think the only way to do it is with the system kext.

Do you have it there?

I don't have a copy of it here.

About the DVD thing, I know Apple has some restrictions allowing to play DVDs from external drives. As the internal one is not being detected, found that VLC does the job.

The problem I encounter on it, is that doesn't allows me to burn (Toast gives a -50 error, unit unstable or something like that, can't recall).

Thanks

i thin you are misinformed... not many people are able to boot from vanilla kernel which is official non patched apple kernel!

and even people are able to use vanilla kernel, the kernel in timemachine fix package is a bricker... do not use it...

what you need is one of the patched ones... try netkas's sleep kernel, should work fine...

Hi,

I can confirm that the mach_kernel from the Timemachine package won't let me even boot. I think it shows no error (it boots itself as soon as it enters)... tried with -v and did the same.

Had to roll back to 9.2.0. Now I think the only way to do it is with the system kext.

Do you have it there?

I don't have a copy of it here.

About the DVD thing, I know Apple has some restrictions allowing to play DVDs from external drives. As the internal one is not being detected, found that VLC does the job.

The problem I encounter on it, is that doesn't allows me to burn (Toast gives a -50 error, unit unstable or something like that, can't recall).

Thanks

I'm using this:

Darwin Cell.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

and worked fine so far...

I only need the system kext for 9.2.0 now to try.

Thanks

I'm using this:

Darwin Cell.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

and worked fine so far...

I only need the system kext for 9.2.0 now to try.

Thanks

alright, here is the system.kext from 9.2.0 version (extracted via pacifist from combo update). I have removed the USBstarter.plist that I had created using lingon. Then I installed this one in the /S/L/E folder. Repair permissions and then delete the extension.mkext

it now loads USB (strangely and I suppose thats how it should be, before plugging a usb, if you kextstat in Terminal, it does not show IOUSBMassStorageClass. Now plug the USB drive in, it automatically gets called and kextstat will show it. :) ).

Thanks Mysticus C*. your help is much appreciated. I will pm you once i collect the relevant kernels and system kext. By the way, I just checked your iATKOS install guide. JUST WOW!! Amazing n00b-proof guide. I have few question regarding my iATKOS install (very stable for the last four months) especially with DVD burner issues. May be I will post in your thread or pm you.

System_9.2.0.kext.zip

nJoy.

i will try to add all these packages myself tomorrow, and add a link to it here, so lionext can add it to the main page for easy access, so far he didnt add anything, so I may do it tomorrow... late for me at the moment

Hi Mysticus C*,

I just added the system.kext from 9.2.0 version in the main post and short directions. I will try getting all other kernels and matching system kexts also. If you have some and are missing a few, please let me and I will get those gathered from people or elsewhere.

Hi, Thanks for the help.

Finally decided to dig about the 9.2.2 kernels and got the new kernels package (all versions).

Right now I'm using the 9.2.2 modbin and the 9.2.2 system.kext. All works like a charm.

Hug all.

Hi, Thanks for the help.

Finally decided to dig about the 9.2.2 kernels and got the new kernels package (all versions).

Right now I'm using the 9.2.2 modbin and the 9.2.2 system.kext. All works like a charm.

Hug all.

is everything working with modbin 9.2.2. especially shutdown/restart etc. that was the reason I had to backtrack my 9.2.2 (TM update kernel) to 9.2.0 (patched netkas kernel). somebody said this modbin kernel crashes with 64 bit apps. any clue

Hi,

With the modbin one, IPhone got detected, shutdown/reboot works perfect and so far I didn't seen anything weird (I'm using a 32 bits environment).

USB/FW DVD still gives error on burn and the internal IDE DVD remains undetected.

Hi,

With the modbin one, IPhone got detected, shutdown/reboot works perfect and so far I didn't seen anything weird (I'm using a 32 bits environment).

USB/FW DVD still gives error on burn and the internal IDE DVD remains undetected.

with this USB DVD, do you get error only for DVD burn or CD burn as well. For some reason, I get CD burn with no problem from Finder or Toast, but DVD burn simply does not work. Blank DVD shows up rarely in Finder and if it does, after a long time. It is an internal DVD. well off-topic but I thought this may be drive issue rather than a USB issue.

Not sure about the mouse, but for storage devices, some of the USB kexts (or firewire kexts for that matter) do not get loaded during system startup (due system.kext not matching with kernel from which it takes the cue to load). So if your devices get picked up if the device is put before booting up, then most likely this is the problem. As posted here, try getting the same version of system.kext as your kernel. if you find it overwhelming, at least try the commands in the Terminal that I posted in #1. If that helps in firing up the devices after the system start, then you have diagnosed the problem.

Hi.

I think that the version isn´t the problem, or if it is, it have no solution for this reason:

At firs I installed kalyway 10.5.2 (and I think that this package have the same version in the kernel and in the kext), and the usb devices were dead (it happenst to me in tiger when I updated it to 10.4.11 from 10.4.8), so I have changed the 10.5.2 usb kext by the 10.4.8 usb kext (without change anything in the system.kext) and now, it works, but with the problem of the time.

By other hand, after starting the system, if I don´t wait more than 5 minutes to conect the usb device, they work perfectly, so I think that the kext are well loaded in the startup, but later something happens that they get disable.

It will be a system.kext problem?

i dont think you know what you are saying...

are you sure you checked the system.kext version? and kernel version carefully?

bcoz 10.5.2 has two kernel and system.kext versions

9.2.0 original initial version

9.2.2 updated version came with timemachine fix...

both of these has correspending system.kext version with same version numbers...

and both of these belong to 10.5.2

so my guess is you dont know what you are doing or you dont know what you are talking about...

unless you have usb ownership issue... which is different issue then usb not mounting issue (usb2.0 ownership issue has nothing to do with usb not mounting issue)

Hi.

I think that the version isn´t the problem, or if it is, it have no solution for this reason:

At firs I installed kalyway 10.5.2 (and I think that this package have the same version in the kernel and in the kext), and the usb devices were dead (it happenst to me in tiger when I updated it to 10.4.11 from 10.4.8), so I have changed the 10.5.2 usb kext by the 10.4.8 usb kext (without change anything in the system.kext) and now, it works, but with the problem of the time.

By other hand, after starting the system, if I don´t wait more than 5 minutes to conect the usb device, they work perfectly, so I think that the kext are well loaded in the startup, but later something happens that they get disable.

It will be a system.kext problem?

after reading your message again, i m pretty sure you didnt even check it at all.. ;) this is not a guess-work with "i think" or "you think" you check it, and either "it is" or "it is not"...

most likely you installed it with default settings, there you have the problem, bcoz default settings has netkas sleep kernel, and that kernel version is 9.2.0 and system.kext installed is 9.2.2 that is your answer... dont believe me? and you still "think" it is not? check the system.kext version and show us a screen cap...

:)

edit: also if i m not wrong, modbin kernel makes the system run on 32 bit only... check its details to see and confirm... :)

i will update later with a total all-in-one installer pkg with all the version but here is the 9.2.0 system.kext installer for 9.2.0 kernels. no need to finger anything, just install, and reboot, at boot start with -v -f

but if you really care a good recommendation for what to do after any kext change?

do as I say....

1) install your kext (aka driver) either with an installer helper, installer program itself, or manually copy/paste (dont forget to fix permissions if you do copy paste way)

2) go to /system/library and find the file named extension.mkext and right click, choose move to garbage (dustbin/recycle bin :o )

3) next go to /system/library/extensions/caches and find the com.bla bla file in it (should be only one) and delete it (same as move to garbage)

4) you should restart for changes to take effect proparly? (it may ask you to wait a bit bcoz of recreating the drivers cache as you deleted it)

5) at boot, press f8 and type -v -f this will recreate driver cache (extensions.mkext) as well as fast boot cache (previously known as extension.kextcache -- in leo, /s/l/e/caches/com.bla bla file)

if you follow this, your drivers will work all the time correctly, otherwise, there can be sometime pain in the neck drivers, that cant be replaced by just copy/pasting, bcoz of osx's fast boot cache and driver cache may not take new changes into consideration, and let older drivers load all the time...

good luck and peace... :P

i will update later with a total all-in-one installer pkg with all the version but here is the 9.2.0 system.kext installer for 9.2.0 kernels. no need to finger anything, just install, and reboot, at boot start with -v -f

but if you really care a good recommendation for what to do after any kext change?

do as I say....

1) install your kext (aka driver) either with an installer helper, installer program itself, or manually copy/paste (dont forget to fix permissions if you do copy paste way)

2) go to /system/library and find the file named extension.mkext and right click, choose move to garbage (dustbin/recycle bin :) )

3) next go to /system/library/extensions/caches and find the com.bla bla file in it (should be only one) and delete it (same as move to garbage)

4) you should restart for changes to take effect proparly? (it may ask you to wait a bit bcoz of recreating the drivers cache as you deleted it)

5) at boot, press f8 and type -v -f this will recreate driver cache (extensions.mkext) as well as fast boot cache (previously known as extension.kextcache -- in leo, /s/l/e/caches/com.bla bla file)

if you follow this, your drivers will work all the time correctly, otherwise, there can be sometime pain in the neck drivers, that cant be replaced by just copy/pasting, bcoz of osx's fast boot cache and driver cache may not take new changes into consideration, and let older drivers load all the time...

good luck and peace... :)

Thanks a lot Mysticus C*. That will make it easier for many folks here. :)

I have been very busy with my work for these few days and could not collect the kexts but I will definitely do that within next day or so. Partly its because my Hac Pro has started behaving with its optical drive and memory (optical drive went dud and memory shows errors in memtest even with relaxed timings). I will have to fix these fast now. :)

Dont know if somebody wrote this in here but you also could add

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

to the file /etc/rc.common

In terminal type sudo nano /etc/rc.common and add the command above at the end of the file. Ctrl + o to save the file and ctrl + x to close the file.

greetz

Hola!!

I'm typing this from my fave Kalyway installation of Mac OS X, 10.5.2, kernel version 9.2.0

Okay, all is fine except for one thing: USB mass storage device thing.

Strangely:

1.) There's my pendrive being able to be detected only when I reboot the PC with the pendrive inserted. Otherwise, plugging it in after entering Mac OS X wouldn't detect a thing there.

2.) If I entered Mac OS X without leaving the pendrive inserted, I have to manually redeploy the System.kext (provided in your page, 9.2.0 system update) package installer everytime I want to use the pendrive. it is very inconvenient.

Anyway I have used the Lingon to autoload the IOUSBMassStorageDevice thingy.

How am I going to get around without leaving my pendrive during a reboot, or redeploy/reinstall the package? :)

I have this odd problem with my USB device that goes something like this:

Devices won't connect at startup, which means that my Apple alu keyboard and USB mouse is useless. Well, at least for a while, in the meantime I can use a PS/2 mouse and keys. The thing is that if I just sit and wait for 2-10 minutes (or just use the PS/2 in the meantime), my USB device eventually will connect and work just fine. :D

I've tried alot af suggestions from reading threads on this board, and the above solution did not solve the problem.

However, I just found some sort of fix, that probably won't help others, but works for me until further.

The thing is, that I have this Line6 Toneport UX8 soundcard that is connected via USB and an external power supply. I just power on the UX8 and all USB device now work, including the UX8 (if the driver is installed). The driver for UX8 isn't even necessary for getting the other USB devices to work, just as long as it's powered on and the USB

cable is connected. I did try swapping around USB cables/ports and BIOS settings, without any luck.

Hmmm... I find this behavior very strange... :lol:

I know this probably aren't very helpful, but I read many having various USB issues, and this maybe related to the ones experiencing similar issues?

/JS

I tried to install the system kext replace but it doesn't help, it looks like the IOUSBMASSSTORAGE.KEXT unload himself

just tell me what i did wrong:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9066/picture1ps8.png

people are not reading correctly i think, you have install correct system.kext and kernel version...

dont just install the system.kext i sent, if you are using 9.1.0 kernel...

LioNext you should put the real solution on top of the post#1 , trust me people will ignore everything at the last parts, updates should be on top, not bottom :(...

there are way too many stupid people around... so better to put it on top of the post#1, and explain the situation properly and clean... your solution is a work around, not real solution, main solution is to have correct matches... see many people dont even check what version kernel they have, they ll just install whatever they see...

make sure do what i suggest or else your topic will be flooded with many stupid questions, bcoz noobs (=stupid people) tend to not read much... newbies are the only ones usefull, but not many good newbies around...

good luck...

people are not reading correctly i think, you have install correct system.kext and kernel version...

LioNext you should put the real solution on top of the post#1 , trust me people will ignore everything at the last parts, updates should be on top, not bottom :)...

there are way too many stupid people around... so better to put it on top of the post#1, and explain the situation properly and clean... your solution is a work around, not real solution, main solution is to have correct matches... see many people dont even check what version kernel they have, they ll just install whatever they see...

make sure do what i suggest or else your topic will be flooded with many stupid questions, bcoz noobs (=stupid people) tend to not read much... newbies are the only ones usefull, but not many good newbies around...

good luck...

That gave me a damn good bit of laugh. :D

Many people simply don't read. I think buying a Mac is best for them. Please dont get offended people, but you should make a habit of reading. I came to know a whole lot about Mac system by reading thru the forums a lot. I installed and solved most of my problems without even making one post here (except one where I had to ask Stellarola in the irc channel to tell me how to download from IRC, which technically is not even a post). And from technical point of view, I was almost noob to begin with except that I had used mac (PowerBook) for four years before. :)

Anyway, I was so bogged with the office work this week. Hopefully, tomorrow evening (Friday) is near and I will do all this. And I will try to write a decent, as n00b-pr00f as possible, but I can assure people still won't have patience to read thru.

Update: I made few edits that should clear up a lot for the time being. The update is at the top of the page. Tomorrow I will post more detailed directions and some snapshots.

LioNext you should put the real solution on top of the post#1 , trust me people will ignore everything at the last parts, updates should be on top, not bottom :(...

good luck...

"i will update later with a total all-in-one installer pkg with all the version but here is the 9.2.0 system.kext installer for 9.2.0 kernels. no need to finger anything, just install, and reboot, at boot start with -v -f"

My kernel is 9.2.0 i installed it and used after the restart -v -f and nothing changed.. then dont blame me that im not reading..

"i will update later with a total all-in-one installer pkg with all the version but here is the 9.2.0 system.kext installer for 9.2.0 kernels. no need to finger anything, just install, and reboot, at boot start with -v -f"

My kernel is 9.2.0 i installed it and used after the restart -v -f and nothing changed.. then dont blame me that im not reading..

did you read my proper full guide as i suggested?

install/match the version

delete extension.mkext and caches/com.xxx file?

and boot with -v -f ???

this is the best way to make sure it will load... otherwise, fast boot cache may load/prevent new drivers from loading in some cases...

dont think i trust you? but I usually dont trust people :) why? because I have a full topic about nforce chipsets, and I am dealing with people like you almost everyday... dont think I m showing off or cocky... why? bcoz if you have answered/managed a full topic on a subject like i did, you would understand... I came to a conclusion that there are two type of groups in the who start in hackintosh thingy....

1) newbies= people are new but not stupid, they read around first, they use search buttons, they check all corners, they follow guides properly, and make conclusion or ask for help at the end...

2) noobs= stupid people, they come to a topic, skip the first pages/posts or they read a single line, feel self confident that they understood everything, they try, and fail misserably most of the time, they jump to last post, and ask for help, without giving any single damn information about what they did, they dont post any error message or screen shot of their desktop with relevant proofs.... and they will always claim that they have done everything and read everything, but guide/info didnt work for them...

in my example (check other examples as well): I approach the person, ask him couple of questions if i dont scold him first nicely, and after 1-2 answers, i 90% of the time figure out that the NOOB didnt read the full guide, in fact everything he reported as problem has answers actually... 80-90% of the problems that are reported on my topic usually have answers on the first page of my topic... afterwards, ask the noob to do exactly as i say, and 95% of the time problems are gone... if you are interested or want some proof check here just to warn you that i have ~1200 posts on my topic... :)

So conclusion? why dont you open up a terminal window, and type "uname -nn" without quotes of course, or open system profiler and check the software section for kernel version and another small window to show system.kext's version number which is inside info.plist, then, make appropriate sizing on the windows, and take a screen shot, (windows key+shift+3) or whatever way/program u use... than post your screen cap to tinypic website and post the link here and show us what you got?

also what version of OSX you installed? and what updates you made? give proper description...

only then i will believe you... please do the guide as i said in three stages post these details as requested, and proove me wrong please...

once again if you didnt understand, here what you should do:

1) (you are sure that you have 10.5.2 full updated system, and 9.2.0 kernel) install 9.2.0 system kext that i posted with installer

2) delete driver and fast boot caches (/S/L/Extensions.mkext + /S/L/E/caches/com.*.*.*)

3) restart, and use -v -f flags at boot

plug in a usb flash drive, and check if it loads? it doesnt load? get two windows of which to show kernel version in one and system.kext version in the other, to screen cap which should be uploaded to an image website, and post the link with your proof?(and make sure your flash drive doesnt have any security software as well, so dont make me look stupid and waste anyone's time, bcoz it would never load in osx, if you had any windows based security program on it, what? some flash drives have security partition or programs to prevent unwanted access to the drive)

hope it is clean?

@LioNext: good job mate, hope it will clear some doubts but i can guarantee you from experience, that there will be many noobs (=stupid people, in my terminology) still skip read everything and jump to last page for help... i know when i call stupid, it sounds harsh, but if you read my topic as well, i make two groups, noobs=stupid ones, and newbies=clever ones... like you said, when i started hackintosh, i was pretty much like you, but i managed to start off with even harder steps :) no drivers/ or mere handfull of drivers and almost 1-2 to zero proper full guides around... :) used the best tool (google) :) to find ansers.... had to d/l tons of torrents to get right stuffs...