Happy Birthday To....Mac OS X!

52 posts in this topic

The first time I used a Mac...

Early 90s, System 7, and I used Kid Pix and some Mr. Potato Head game.

That was about it. I would print my Kid Pix illustration on a dot matrix printer with the paper that had edges you had to tear off. mMmm legacy.

I was in middle school during this release... barely knew how to use a computer. All the computers had OS9 during 6th grade, then as 7th grade rolled around, all the computers were new and when we waited for the little dock thing to roll out, a huge, shiny, amazing dock rolled out instead- we loved it. :(

my first OS was system 7.1 :(

as kid i spend hours on painting with kidpix, playing games like the one with oranga (that fat monkey), and millies math house, and much more (my mother worked at apple, so she brought me some games from work when they were released :( )

my first os x experience was when i installed panther on my g3 imac (which ran os 9 before)

after that i installed tiger on my dell

and then i bought my a new imac with leopard :hysterical:

As far as OS X is concerned, 10.2 Jaguar on 350mhz PPC G4. Didn't fall in love w/ it until 10.3 Panther, thats when Finder became more logical imo.

:)

Best OS and machine/hardware money can buy. You get the best of all the OS worlds, "flawlessly".

I used the 10.4.1 Intel developer preview version. But before that I used OS9 and System 7.5.3 at school (KidPix, ClarisWorks and Carmen Sandiego!) And before that System 6 on the Mac Classic.

i still have the Mac OS X Public Beta laying around! it was a horrible experience, it sported a very ugly aqua interface, there was no software for it and everybody who has seen it running on my beige g3 thought this ugly, uncomfortable os x is never going to last 2 releases! :) everybody hated it - mostly because it was such a big change for people who grew up with setting memory amouts to every single program (ah the good old times... "my mac crashed!" "try giving photoshop lesser memory!" :) ) oh yeah, did i mention it sure was ugly? post-626-1206495160_thumb.jpgi stuck with "good" old os 9 till 10.3, the very first usable osx version.
I see the Apple is in the middle of the menu bar. Did the menu pop up there or is that a bug?

First Mac OS I used was on the Performa 550 model, which was System 7.

My first Mac OS X experience was with Panther.

In school I had a couple of runs with OS9 as it was starting to die out. Hated it. My school held on to it for another few months after OSX came out because they said it still wasn't stable enough to rely on. :\ Once they finally installed it onto the systems, I was much more impressed but not totally convinced yet. Growing up on Windows, there were just some things about it that didn't feel right. So I stuck with Windows on my home PC and then finally bought a PowerBook G4 with Panther on it a couple years later. My first osx86 experience was with JaS 10.4.8 :(

i still have the Mac OS X Public Beta laying around! it was a horrible experience, it sported a very ugly aqua interface, there was no software for it and everybody who has seen it running on my beige g3 thought this ugly, uncomfortable os x is never going to last 2 releases! :)

everybody hated it - mostly because it was such a big change for people who grew up with setting memory amouts to every single program (ah the good old times... "my mac crashed!" "try giving photoshop lesser memory!" :)) oh yeah, did i mention it sure was ugly?

post-626-1206495160_thumb.jpg

i stuck with "good" old os 9 till 10.3, the very first usable osx version.

Wow, that really is ugly! They loved the pin-stripes back then, yuck! But it's so interesting to see how many things have changed, and also, how many things haven't :)

The first one for me was OS3 I think... We had Macs at my school when I was a kid. I remember when Cheetah came out, I thought it was SO cool. So much better than Windows. That was before XP too when the failure of ME was readily apparent. They should have never build an OS on the same system as 98 but I digress.

10.0 (Cheetah-March 24, 2001)

- Aqua and Quartz

- Keychain and Keychain Access

- Interface Builder

- Chess

- Mail

- TextEdit

- Terminal

- Apple Advanced Typography

- AppleScript

- Grab

- Network Utility

- Speech

10.1 (Puma-September 25, 2001)

- ColorSync 4.0

- ColorSync Utility

- AppleScript improvements, AppleScript Studio

- DVD Player

- Image Capture

10.2 (Jaguar-August 24, 2002)

- Core Audio, Audio MIDI Setup, Audio Units

- Quartz Extreme

- MPEG-4

- Address Book

- Calculator (Editable paper tape, unit conversions, currency rate conversions)

- Spam filtering for Mail

- Bonjour (Rendezvous)

- iCal

- iSync

- iChat 1.0

- Journaling File System

- DiskImageMounter

- Disk Utility

- Handwriting Recognition (Ink), InkWell

- Sherlock

- CUPS

- Sync Services

- Bluetooth File exchange

- Disc recording framework

10.3 (Panther-October 24, 2003)

- ATSUI-Advanced Text Services for Unicode Imaging (Text Engine/Text Services)

- Safari and Webkit

- iChat AV (2.0)

- AppleScript improvements (Script Editor, script bundles/applet bundles, GUI Scripting-Apple System Events)

- Font Book

- Brushed metal

- Exposé

- Fast User Switching

- Faxing

- FileVault

- X11

- Xcode and Developer Tools

- Activity Monitor

- IPv6

- BOMArchiveHelper

- Printer Setup Utility

- System Profiler

10.4 (Tiger-April 29, 2005)

- Quartz 2D Extreme

- Automator

- Core Image

- Core Video

- Core Data, SQLite

- Core Foundation

- Spotlight and Smart folders

- H.264

- iChat AV 3.0 with H.264 Conferencing

- Dashboard

- RSS and color management support (ICC V4) in Safari

- Core Audio additions

- VoiceOver

- Dictionary/Thesaurus

- Grapher

- Quartz Composer

- AU Lab

- Parental Controls

- Photo Booth

- Front Row

- Address Book Smart groups

- Smart card support

- Smart Crash Reporting

- Migration Assistant

10.5 (Leopard-October 26, 2007)

- DTrace/Xray

- Core Animation

- 64-bit

- Time Machine

- Spaces

- Alex (Amazingly natural voice), many new accessibility features (Braille, VoiceOver improvements)

- Mail (Stationery templates, notes, to-do lists)

- Dashcode and Webclip, widget creation for non-developers

- iChat 4.0 (Multiple logins, animations, audio and video recording, iChat Theater, PhotoBooth effects, video backdrops)

- iCal, CalDAV, Calendar store for applications, sharing and group scheduling

- QuickTime Analog Closed Captioning

- Stacks, 3D Dock, Finder UI improvements

- Remote Parental Controls

- Scripting Bridge

- Grammar check, smart quote support, automatic link detection and support for copying and pasting multiple selections in text engine

- XCode 3.0

- Interface Builder (Improved)

- Objective C 2.0

- WebKit 4

- ODF and OOXML in TextEdit

- Several advancements to Core Framework

- System wide integrated AppleScript with Ruby, Python and ObjC 2.0

- Device Driver Updates unified under Software Update

- New Threading model

- AutoFS

• 1 month later...

My first OSX was the beta, I founded great and colorfull. It was a big changement against the OS 9. My first Apple OS was 6, I thing with the Classic II Black and white, not the color one. I suddenly feel like a dinosaurus. :)

I know it's an old thread, but since I'm not the one who brought it to the top, I don't feel bad about replying :)

My first OS X was the first Developer Preview back in 1999. It still had the OS 9 interface back then. I've been using Macs since 6.0.5 on my IIcx

• 3 weeks later...

Does an Apple IIGS with a GUI count as a mac? If so, that was my first one at home, system 3 or 4 IIRC

Replaced an 8086 that would serve best as a boat anchor :rolleyes: