Happy Birthday To....Mac OS X!

52 posts in this topic

You read that title right, our favorite OS just turned 7 over this weekend. Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah was released on March 21st way back in 2001, and even though it was extremely buggy and slow, we still use it's release date as the official release date of Mac OS X. There have been 6 (or 7 if you include the Public Beta, which I guess we shouldn't because it isn't September 13th) versions of Mac OS X starting with Cheetah going all the way to Leopard. What was your first version of Mac OS X (I'll guess Tiger 10.4.3 :( )?

Here are all the versions complete with code names, release dates, and numbers.

* Mac OS X Public Beta (September 13, 2000)

* Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah (March 21, 2001)

* Mac OS X 10.1 Puma (September 25, 2001)

* Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar (August 23, 2002)

* Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (October 24, 2003)

* Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (April 29, 2005)

* Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (October 26, 2007)

Full Story

Since we getting those of photo albums out, the first time i used OS X was with the aid of JaS and 10.4.8... before tht i though Macs were rubbish and i was staying on winbloze.. :unsure:

Think Mark

Upgraded my iMac G3 from 9.1 to 10.1 sometime in 2003. After realizing that 10.1 was no longer useful, I bought a copy of 10.2. 10.2 could run bittorrent. Sadly, that was the last copy of Mac OS that I paid for up until I bought my mini.

My first experience with Mac OS X was sometime in 2000 when I signed up for the AppleSeed program to beta test this new Unix-based system known then by the non-cat name "kodiak" and was more like NeXTstep than a Mac OS. It didn't even have an Apple menu, though it did have an Apple icon in the middle of the menu bar.

I hated the whole thing.

Times they sure did change, and after a few years of polishing - the best parts of NeXT and Apple became what we now love about Mac OS X.

But I joined the Mac camp around System 7.5 at school and finally gave up on my PeeCee around the time OS 9 was released. That's when I bought my first Mac. A 500MHz Pismo PowerBook G3.

=)

You read that title right, our favorite OS just turned 7 over this weekend. Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah was released on March 21st way back in 2001, and even though it was extremely buggy and slow, we still use it's release date as the official release date of Mac OS X. There have been 6 (or 7 if you include the Public Beta, which I guess we shouldn't because it isn't September 13th) versions of Mac OS X starting with Cheetah going all the way to Leopard. What was your first version of Mac OS X (I'll guess Tiger 10.4.3 :( )?

Here are all the versions complete with code names, release dates, and numbers.

* Mac OS X Public Beta (September 13, 2000)

* Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah (March 21, 2001)

* Mac OS X 10.1 Puma (September 25, 2001)

* Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar (August 23, 2002)

* Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (October 24, 2003)

* Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (April 29, 2005)

* Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (October 26, 2007)

Full Story

wow...... osx birthday was 4 days ago, today is the 25th.....that is fast news.....

Used the first iMacs when my school got them and hated them. Opened my mind dome years later when my mate got a PPC Mac Mini and googled until i found Pear PC! It was slow as hell but still better than windows.

i still have the Mac OS X Public Beta laying around! it was a horrible experience, it sported a very ugly aqua interface, there was no software for it and everybody who has seen it running on my beige g3 thought this ugly, uncomfortable os x is never going to last 2 releases! :)

everybody hated it - mostly because it was such a big change for people who grew up with setting memory amouts to every single program (ah the good old times... "my mac crashed!" "try giving photoshop lesser memory!" :)) oh yeah, did i mention it sure was ugly?

post-626-1206495160_thumb.jpg

i stuck with "good" old os 9 till 10.3, the very first usable osx version.

10.0 was my first OS X. Got it in March, about a week after it's release. Installed it on my beige Power Macintosh G3 desktop, with ZIP drive!

Good times.

My first Mac was a Mac SE. Haven't thought about that in a while.

Pax Ex.

The first version I used was in 1999. It was some version of OS X (server?) that was pre-release, I can't remember exactly, but I think Steve demoed it around the time all of the yellow box stuff was happening.

I was working at CNN Interactive at that time, which is how I managed to get my eager little fingers on it :) I can't remember much else about it. There's a very remote possibility I may still have a disk around somewhere, though it wouldn't do the osx86 scene any good. I'll do some digging to see if I can find it.

I did buy 10.0 a few days before it was released. The folks at Staples didn't seem to care that there was a strict release date on it :)