[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

I have a problem with USB device (such as USB storage). When I plug after OSX boot done, it does'n mount my USB although I see it in System Profile - USB. And now, when I want use my USB, I plug it in and reboot :( ...Anybody can help me fix?

My Specs: Gigabyte P35- DS3R, E6600, 2GB Muskhin, 250GB Western Digital SATA2, 8800GTS 640MB.

I have a problem with USB device (such as USB storage). When I plug after OSX boot done, it does'n mount my USB although I see it in System Profile - USB. And now, when I want use my USB, I plug it in and reboot :censored2: ...Anybody can help me fix? My Specs: Gigabyte P35- DS3R, E6600, 2GB Muskhin, 250GB Western Digital SATA2, 8800GTS 640MB.

Try this in terminal:

sudo su -type your passwordrm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/cachesexit

If it works, you have to write this everytime you startup the system, or you can create a script that loads automatically at login, if you know how to do it.

@pcwiz

Thanks for this great guide, I've installed Leopard in 45min. without any issue.

The only thing that i would like to improve is disk speed.With xbench I get 140 with disk text and 215 without disk.

So, searching for a solution, I've changed SATA options in Bios from AHCI to IDE.

The speed of the disk is the same, but Leopard works without any issue, and my disks now are seen as internal.

Do you think that there could be other problems using IDE instead of AHCI?

And have you any advice for the disk speed?

Thanks in advance.

P.s.

I'm using Netkas Sleep kernel, but sleep doesn't work very well: system goes to sleep, but it wakes up after few seconds. I've tried even with S3 in bios, but it's worse.

What you should know is that Xbench is very inaccurate. As you can see I have 229 in Xbench without disk RUNNING FROM AN EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE. Use Geekbench, its accurate :( Also, sleep is sort of "on/off". Works for some, not for others. Try using the SpeedStep kernel (non sleep) with S1 ACPI. That worked partially for me.

Try this in terminal:
sudo su -type your passwordrm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/cachesexit

If it works, you have to write this everytime you startup the system, or you can create a script that loads automatically at login, if you know how to do it.

It doesn't work for me ...Can you tell me more detail? thank for advanced ..

Its like this:

sudo -s
[enter password]
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/caches
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

yeah sorry.

I've made copy & paste and I've no checked the format of the post.

Its like this:

sudo -s
[enter password]
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/caches
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Thanks, when I type "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/caches" ..it's nothing, but type next "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext" , It works and mount my USB.

Is the a bug of Kalaway 10.5.1 when up to 10.5.2? I install in my PC and laptop and they have same fault USB . Can you help me to fix it. I don't want when using USB, I have to type command in Terminal. Thank u .

Thanks, when I type "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/caches" ..it's nothing, but type next "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext" , It works and mount my USB.

Is the a bug of Kalaway 10.5.1 when up to 10.5.2? I install in my PC and laptop and they have same fault USB . Can you help me to fix it. I don't want when using USB, I have to type command in Terminal. Thank u .

I had this issue with 10.5.1 with my old motherboard with nforce chipset. After 10.5.2 upgrade it doesn't happen anymore to me.

However you can make a script that load up automatically at startup, so you don't have to write the command everytime.

Sorry but I don't know how to do it, ask the forum, someone surely can help you.

If you don't mind entering an admin password every time you boot, do this:

Create a new Applescript file using Script Editor with the following contents:

do shell script "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext" with administrator privileges

Then go to File >> Save As and set the type to "Application Bundle" and save it. Now you should have an app that executes this for you. Go to System Preferences and the Users prefpane and set the app to run in your startup items. Should work, other than that you have to enter an admin password at every boot :rolleyes:

What about the new TimeMachine and Airport Update? Are they safe for us, with this installation? And the new AppleSMBIOS by Netkas?
If memory serves, this update contains both a new kernel and system.kext. Possibly risky and at best will replace your speedstep kernel. I skipped it.What is this new AppleSMBIOS supposed to do?

If memory serves, this update contains both a new kernel and system.kext. Possibly risky and at best will replace your speedstep kernel. I skipped it.What is this new AppleSMBIOS supposed to do?

Some users reported me coreplayer doesn't work on hacks

after investigating it a bit, I found it comes from smbios

exactly - the way how IOPlatformSerialNumber is set.

now it's fixed, u can grab kext here - http://tinyurl.com/264tgm

this also makes second life to work on hacks.

ahh…. u all will have same serial number with this kext (as with old one tho)

funny thing - some apps uses this values as user number.

pcwiz, I just want to report another (thus far) very satisfied "customer" :( I used your guide to install OS X on my new hackintosh last night, a DS3R/E6550/4GB/7600GS machine. Everything is working, although I haven't tested USB storage yet. I've even overclocked my 2.33 E6550 up to 2.8 without any problems yet. I stress-tested everything last night by opening *every* single program on the machine, including a half-dozen RAW files in Photoshop, eating up all the RAM and using it like that for awhile, and everything was perfect. I think I can get rid of my iMac now :P Thanks for making the guide.

With regards to the IDE/ACHI issue and internal SATA drives appearing as externals -- will switching to IDE mode actually hurt performance? Should I just leave the drives as they are and perhaps just change the icons?

My only remaining issue is that the old Keyspan BT-2A USB bluetooth dongle (Broadcom chipset) I dug out of my closet won't pair with my Bluetooth keyboard. It will pair with my iMac though, so I'm not sure if I actually need to get a new BT dongle or if there's something else going on.

With regards to the IDE/ACHI issue and internal SATA drives appearing as externals -- will switching to IDE mode actually hurt performance? Should I just leave the drives as they are and perhaps just change the icons?

I've switched to IDE, and I've not seen any changes in performance.

I've switched to IDE, and I've not seen any changes in performance.

Thanks for the input. Two other questions then, if I switch to IDE mode:

1. Will all 8 of the SATA ports on my DS3R work, or still only 6?

2. Can I hot-plug external SATA drives?

I don't have any other SATA drives available right now or I'd test these myself.

Thanks for the input. Two other questions then, if I switch to IDE mode:

1. Will all 8 of the SATA ports on my DS3R work, or still only 6?

2. Can I hot-plug external SATA drives?

I don't have any other SATA drives available right now or I'd test these myself.

1. I think that only the same 6 ports will work, but I'm not sure, It would be better if you ask pcwiz.

2. AFAIK without AHCI, hotplug doesn't work.

Hi

My specs: Core2Duo E6550

MOBO: GA-P35-DS4 (bios ver. F8)

GFX: ATI Radeon X1950PRO DDR3 512MB

HDD: 400GB Seagate ST3400620AS SATA II 16MB cache NCQ

I'm doing everything step-by-step as in tutorial. Everything goes well, but at the end of instalation (about 95%) my comp suddenly restarts without any "INSTALATION COMPLETED" pop-up or anything. After that it boots, but gives me critial error (kernel panic). At the beginning i thought that maybe i have different version of KALYWAY release cause i noticed that my installation background is different than those in tutorial screens (I've got some stars and in tut i see some pencils and stuff), but I've verified ISO and it gave my the same checksum as in the tutorial.

Forum search is not working so it's hard for me to find a solution to this problem. :(

Thanks for any help.

Semicus,

Could you take a picture with your camera of what the installer looks like? Seems pretty weird to me...if you are using EFI with GUID, try formatting and using MBR instead.

mrogers,

Switching between IDE and AHCI won't hurt performance, but AHCI does take longer to boot from what I've heard. If you installed the new SATA driver included in my package, its pretty safe to say that you can switch to the default IDE Native mode. I'm really not sure about the Bluetooth, sorry about that. Maybe get a new dongle that uses the same chipset as the Bluetooth in the real macs (but first make sure that USB is working, theres no reason it shouldn't, but if USB isn't working then neither will the dongle. Also try plugging the dongle into a different port, maybe one thats closer to the keyboard).

As I believe, the 6 yellow ports are the Intel ICH9R, but the 2 purple ones are the GSATA. The purple GSATA ports still will not work I'm afraid. GSATA has extremely horrible support even in Windows, so its safe to say that we won't be seeing a driver for it anytime soon. Take VaSH's advice about the hot plug, I haven't used SATA hot plug so I don't know. I hope this clears most things up -_-

I've been experiencing network issues with my builtin Realtek 8111b ethernet adaptor. Issues include browsing lag, lan file copy performance and Bonjour not working. I solved the issues by installing a TRENDNT TEG-PCITXR PCI Ethernet card based on tip from a thread named "Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.2, 100% working, PC-EFIv8, EFI strings". It is based on a Realtek 8169 chip which is natively supported by MacOS and it solved all my problems. It costs all of US $17 at Newegg. I highly recommend it you are experiencing and network issues.

^ Thanks for the note about the networking, RedRonin. Mine has dropped out on me twice now, and I have to restart. Otherwise, the performance seems to be quite good and Bonjour works as well.

PCwiz, thanks for all your advice, that's very helpful.

Got my new parts today and put everything together works perfect didn't even had to reinstall windows, just pluged in my old HDD and here it was ;)

@ pcwiz

when i run everest to find out what version of BIOS i have it says DMI BIOS version F2. Is this the one i need or should i update?

Almost everything's working great, but I have one weird issue. The computer will not boot when my iPod shuffle or iPhone are in their docks. It doesn't even get past the POST splash screen (with the big Gigabyte logo), it just locks up. Presumably I have to change some BIOS setting to fix this, if it's fixable at all; I've already verified that the only boot devices it's checking are the DVD and hard drive. Does anyone else have any issues booting past POST with iPods plugged in?

macciti,

I think you mean AMI not DMI but yes, thats the right BIOS -_-

mrogers,

It might be something in the USB settings. Research that on Google, if it happens at the POST screen its not OS specific so others probably have the issue too. Try updating your BIOS to the latest version as well -_-

Alright i have a question... I have three HDD hooked up to my mother board one ATA and two SATA HDD. All of them are set up as masters according to BIOS. For some reason when i log in to Windows i see only two HDD C: (the one where vista is) and one SATA but am unable to see the second SATA as i do in BIOS. What can i do to make it work? I need it since its the one i will be installing leopard on, its brand new 160GB HDD. Thank you in advance!!!