[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Ok after reading most of this thread, I'm a bit confused. I have a GMA 900 wich works fine when I attach an external monitor to boot (still haven't had the time to make myself a dongle).

My question is, does anyone successfully runs QE/CI on the GMA 900? If yes, I would really like to know how. I don't care if I have to put a dongle or a external monitor, as long as it works.

I'm running 10.4.6 and tried to do what it says in the first post of this thread (replacing 2582 with 2592) but I didn't find any instances of 2582 in my files and my card already says Device ID: 0x2592 in the system infos, but QE and CI says Not Supported.

My laptop is a Toshiba m60-cd4, Pentium M 1.73 GHz. The sound and ethernet works fine. I installed OS X with Jas DVD with the SSE2 patch and the GMA 915 driver provided with the "customized" install on the Jas DVD.

Thanks a lot!

Sure.

The drivers for 10.4.6 are different from those in other versions, so we need the drivers from 10.4.5 (attached - below). Alright so simply extract the archive to your desktop and follow these steps:

1- navigate to system/library/extensions

2- delete all kexts conatining the terms appleintel and either 915, 950, etc. All those that have to do with Intel's GMAs.

3- Copy the three files that you extracted to your desktop (they should be in a folder) to system/library/extensions, authenticate as root, and if anything was not deleted and it asks you to overwrite something, simply click yes (that is: yes, overwrite the files).

4- go ahead and close any open windows and open up terminal from /applications/utilities

5- copy and paste these in one line at a time, pressing enter every time:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/appleintel915.kext

[enter, then type the password it asks for, and press enter again]

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/appleintel915ga.plugin

[enter]

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/appleintel915gldriver.bundle

[enter]

sudo kextload /System/Library/extensions/appleintel915.kext

[enter]

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

[enter]

The last line may take a few minutes: this is normal because it is rebuilding the kextcache. Also, after the first line, you may be asked to enter your administrator password. This is probably the same one you entered when you copied the files to the extensions folder. In addition, after you execute the 4th line, there should be a message that comes up indicating that the kext has been successfully loaded. If this message does not come up, repeat all the steps again. I've had some problems in the past concerning this...

6- reboot the computer and make sure an external monitor or dongle is plugged in (still needed...).

7- test if QE and CI/CG work by testing that screensaver called "flury". I always love seeing that work!

Go ahead and let me know if it works,

Urby

10.4.5_915_drivers.zip

Hi Urby!

First of all, thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I did what you said and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a step but now os X wont boot :( When I boot normally after a couple seconds of seeing the gray brackground and the gray apple, the status wheel stops and the spinning color wheel cursor appears in they upper left corner. After that the cursor switches a couple times between the arrow and the color wheel and then nothing... i can move the mouse but the gray background stays there.

I booted with -f... didn't work, so I tried with -v to see if it prints an error... I can't see anything related to the video card and it stops at "Login Window Application Started" and won't go any further.

I really don't know what to do from here, any help appreciated!

Thanks again.

Hey I've read all 26 pages of this 2 times, and forgive my stupidity and noob-ness, but I'm kind of lost. I'm running 10.4.3 with Wesley's patch (is that outdated? bad patch?) on my HP Pavilion DV1440US notebook PC with an Intel 910/915GM chipset (128 MB shared v-RAM). I had the external monitor issue at first also, then deleted all my kext files or whatever they are because... it's a laptop and I didn't want to have an external monitor all the time lugging around!

So now I don't have a good resolution or quartz or core or anything, just an ugly stretched resolution, but at least it boots right for me so I can actually travel with my notebook now.

I may have missed some stuff, but is there anything I can/should do to get my 910/915GM running with full support, and not using the external display fix?

PS I copied my G/F's 950 chipset files from her MacBook Black the other day, and have them on a disk -- could those be useful at all, or no?

Thanks so much for the help!

@JoeP : Yes I can't boot anymore even with my dongle or an external monitor. I fixed it by copying back the kext I had backed up before copying the ones from 10.4.5 (i'm running 10.4.6) by going into single-user mode.

I'm wondering if I should try to install os x from my Jas dvd without installing the GMA 900 driver that on this disc? because I've tried pretty much everything in this thread and can't get the QE/CI to work, but I know it should work cause a lot of people have the same card/chipset as me.

Hey Maxster,

I did something similar to that, I just removed the 900 series drivers in 10.4.3 and it fixed dongle/external issues, but it also makes you lose core and quartz...

I've got a notebook with 910/915 GM, so I'm not sure if you're the same as me or not.

I hope that helps, but I'm new to this so I doubt it does, just thought I'd try!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok nobody seems to be active in this but I do have a question...

With my JaS 10.4.3 release, I can get quartz and core using the external monitor. In 10.4.6 JaS, I can bypass the external monitor by mirroring my screen and using paper clip/ staples to bridge pins 1-6 and 2-12 of VGA out. However, I do not EVER get quartz and core in 10.4.6, not even with the real monitor plugged in. So I reverted back to 10.4.3 to get quartz and core, but I can't get any bridging to work. I tried all combinations I have heard of for bridging pins, but I can't get computer to display right.

Here's basically what I'm stuck at:

10.4.3 JaS -- Quartz and Core, can only run with external monitor (no fake works)

10.4.6 JaS -- No Quartz and Core, runs with external monitor fake via pin bridging.

Note -- 10.4.7 update changed nothing of that from my 10.4.6 release (probably because of no kext replacements...)

Can anyone help!? Thanks! I just want Quartz and Core with the fake dongle (bridge pin) setup! Thanks!

I've got an Acer 2423WXM laptop with GMA900 integrated graphic...CI & QE full working...I've made a bridge in the external VGA adaptor with a paper clip (Pin 6 and pin 12)...I'm using a 10.4.5 myzar Mac osX...I'll send a photo...I'm searching for maxxuss patch solution 1.0 for 10.4.5...

Those are the photos...

VGA dummy (Paper Clip)

Paper Clip on Pin 6 & Pin 12

I'm sorry about my english but i'm italian... :thumbsdown_anim:

This is the screen from my Mac Os X....I've not modified any kext...It works without anything...I've just putted the Vga dummy...That's all...Here is the screen...

Screen

I hope that those 2 posts are usefull for you :thumbsdown_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

im suffering all your pain here... using the hardware "solution" with 10.4.6 by JaS, just replying to get subscribed to the thread, you never know, maybe this gets resolved soon :)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok nobody seems to be active in this but I do have a question...

With my JaS 10.4.3 release, I can get quartz and core using the external monitor. In 10.4.6 JaS, I can bypass the external monitor by mirroring my screen and using paper clip/ staples to bridge pins 1-6 and 2-12 of VGA out. However, I do not EVER get quartz and core in 10.4.6, not even with the real monitor plugged in. So I reverted back to 10.4.3 to get quartz and core, but I can't get any bridging to work. I tried all combinations I have heard of for bridging pins, but I can't get computer to display right.

Here's basically what I'm stuck at:

10.4.3 JaS -- Quartz and Core, can only run with external monitor (no fake works)

10.4.6 JaS -- No Quartz and Core, runs with external monitor fake via pin bridging.

Note -- 10.4.7 update changed nothing of that from my 10.4.6 release (probably because of no kext replacements...)

Can anyone help!? Thanks! I just want Quartz and Core with the fake dongle (bridge pin) setup! Thanks!

What I do is the moment the screen on my x41 thinkpad goes from the grey to blue, I hit the FN-F7 key combination (which switches to external VGA port I gues), screen flickers and then the mac OS bootup screen continues and all is well! ;)

5- copy and paste these in one line at a time, pressing enter every time:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/appleintel915.kext

[enter, then type the password it asks for, and press enter again]

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/appleintel915ga.plugin

[enter]

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/appleintel915gldriver.bundle

[enter]

sudo kextload /System/Library/extensions/appleintel915.kext

[enter]

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

[enter]

I would like to suggest a different manner for your 5th point :

Type in Terminal as root : (or add 'sudo' before each line. Press Enter after each line)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

Obviously you have to reboot after that.

I think the point is to set owner/permissions for ALL the extensions because some are interconnected, and to reset the old preferences files (*.plist) because they could be source of problems.

I do that each time i install a new extension or update (10.4.7 Jas update...). Hope this helps.

(Enormous thanks to Jas for his work!)

Hi there! This is a very long thread and it becomes confusing sometimes :(

I want to know the viability of GMA 900 with 10.4.7 - I just posted a new thread, here is the link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23802

and the text, in case you prefer to keep the information here.

Hi there, I know there is a lenghty (26 pages!!!) thread about this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=889&st=0

I think what we know is that using the "fake external monitor trick" this integrated graphic card works fine. My question, however, is the following:

does GMA 900 workk 100% (full resolutions/QE/CI) with 10.4.7? With tricks or out of the box (besides the dongle above)?

This is not clear from the thread. I want to modify the new HCL wiki.

Thanks

Alright, I am confused. Does the fix posted by Urby3 above work for adding QE/CI support or not?

My laptop is running in its native resolution of 1024 without a problem and feels fast enough.

My system profiler says:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2592

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display:

Yes, agreed. What does this do and how?

I think something is fishy with that package. Why would there be a new IPFIREWALL.KEXT included for a graphics driver? Furthermore, this web site http://www.art5dog.com/ doesn't even load?

I know there are no known viruses/exploits for OS X so maybe my old windoze ways are overly cautious...

Yes, agreed. What does this do and how?

I think something is fishy with that package. Why would there be a new IPFIREWALL.KEXT included for a graphics driver? Furthermore, this web site http://www.art5dog.com/ doesn't even load?

I know there are no known viruses/exploits for OS X so maybe my old windoze ways are overly cautious...

Anyone else tried it and can report the results? I can't believe this will finally be solved someday...

Hi, I don't know why there is ipfirewall.kext and other system files, I've only found this link, tried this package and works fine. Also, I've tried to enable stealth mode and log in firewall - advanced and all works fine.

PS: now, with CI and QE, parallels is very very fast!

Hi, I don't know why there is ipfirewall.kext and other system files, I've only found this link, tried this package and works fine. Also, I've tried to enable stealth mode and log in firewall - advanced and all works fine.

PS: now, with CI and QE, parallels is very very fast!

Great! But I am just a little suspicious... ^_^

I would like to know what is all this stuff being installed magically...