[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

WOW! I did something and messed up my OSx86

I reinstalled and for some reason I got both CI and QE supported now!!!!!!! :D

I guess maybe I forgot to add the GMA 900 support during the custom install? :)

THen I did update to 10.4.7 JAS and all still works perfectly!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Hey all

I've recently got my purpose built OSX86 Mac up and running using a Gigabyte GA8I915G-MF mobo (which uses the Intel 915G chipset) which has the Intel GMA 900 integrated Graphics onboard. So far, all of it is working out really well except that in Apple System profiler it says that CI and QE are not supported by my GMA 900 when I'm pretty sure that I've heard that it can support these features. I've tried the various fixes in the start of this thread but to no avail, I didn't even have the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext file although I'm pretty sure I checked the box for onboard GMA 900 support when installing from the JaS 10.4.6 DVD.

Does anyone have any ideas or ways to enable CI and QE as I would like some of the more graphical elements of the computer to speed up, especially with the rippling in Dashboard.

Thanks a lot

Mo

It sometimes helps to reinstall OS X once more and check the box again.

A few posts ago there was an alternative package that was supposed to work for people... you should try that out as well...

By the way, this topic is mainly for the 915G>M< chipset, thats Mobile, thus for laptops.

There may be other topics that could help you a bit further.... :)

Hi all!

I have a question. First of all here is my system configuration it's an Acer Travelmate 4152 Laptop

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report

Report Date: 08/31/2006

Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 23:46:01

Driver Version: 6.14.10.4670

Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, SP 2 (5.1.2600)

Default Language: Hungarian

DirectX* Version: 9.0

Physical Memory: 503 MB

Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB

Maximum Graphics Memory: 64 MB

Graphics Memory in Use: 7 MB

Processor: x86 family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8

Processor Speed: 1728 MHZ

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 2592

Device Revision: 03

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset FamilyVideo BIOS: 1219

Current Graphics Mode: 1024 x 768 True Color (60 Hz)

* Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Notebook Displays: 1

* Notebook *

Monitor Name: Plug and Play monitor

Display Type: Not Available

Gamma Value: 2,20

DDC2 Protocol: Supported

Maximum Image Size: Horizontal: Not Available

Vertical: Not Available

Monitor Supported Modes:

1024 x 768 (60 Hz)

Display Power Management Support:

Standby Mode: Not Supported

Suspend Mode: Not Supported

Active Off Mode: Not Supported

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

So, my question is that where can i put the VMemory to 128MB Becouse I read everywhere on the internet that my laptop with this VGA card can support 8 to 128 MB shared memory. But there is no menu or configuration point at my bios for Shared memory or agp apperture It's simply displays that my vga memory is 8MB, but when i boot to windows xp home edition at the display settings i see te data below. Especially that my vga card is at 64mb RAM and it can't support more. Why is that. Maybe Becouse i have 512MB system memory and for this amount of sys mem it assings just 64MB Shared VGA memory? So it's a system which assings memory by amount of system memory? If that's right how much memory Should i have to get an 128mb vid mem? 1024MB or maybe 2048?

I hope someone of you can help me it would be very important.

All the best for you guys!

Rudolf from Hungary :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok spent about one day instaling OS X( on My Samsung X20)Notebook and about another hour to read this thread! I can onyl boot into MAC OS X 10.4.7 (JaS) when my external TFT is on. Without it I get a nice blue screen with nothing on it and the Harddisk just stops doing anything... I tried all the solutions here but with no result....

Man it can't be sooooooo hard? MAC OSX is running lik a charm on my external TFT with a resolution of 1024x768! But I would like to have it only on my "real" notebook tft which up till now doesn't work at all....

Okay here are my results so far:

macoq8.jpg

I am running Mac OSX 10.4.7 (JaS) on my Samsung x20 with the Intel 915GM card....

I just don't get it, the VGA trick worked for somebody here with the same notebook...

I haven't had time to try out the S-Video dongle trick but would prefere a software solution like the rest of us here...

I was reading the beginning of the thread and the initial talk of it being a memory problem is intriguing, but I don't think that is just it. I believe it is something else. A few times (3) I was able to boot to instal OS X without any kind of external VGA connection or hack, but it took me about 25 tries I'd guess. The final time I used the external monitor (my tv) and it worked. I still have my laptop hooked up to my TV, and so far since the original instal I have only gotten it to boot successfully into OS X in safe mode. If I unplug the Vga from the TV it sits at the gray Apple screen and goes no farther, and if I plug in the VGA in and don't boot into safe mode the TV says "No signal" and goes idle. It stays this way and doesn't change, even if I cycle the power to wake it up. I read somewhere that when booting to Safe Mode that " all cached drivers files are ignored". If it was a memory issue I still would not be able to boot into Safe Mode, correct? About this Mac shows no QE/CI enabled, and my V-Ram at 256mb, neither of which are correct but I have seen others get that same thing. I have been able to successfully replicate the safemode trick (hold down shift after selecting Mac OS X) multiple times. I will try it now with no external VGA and see what happens.

Laptop specs:

Acer Aspire 1642Z Wlmi

Pentium M Sonoma 1.73ghz

1Gb DDR2

GMA 900 with 15.4" wxga

OS X 10.4.6 Jas

Ok follow up:

I held shift for safe mode boot and it got me to the blue screen and hung up, so no go there. What's interesting to note is that holding down shift for safe boot was able to get me farther than when normal booting.

I did it!

I don't exactly know how, but when I boot with the dongle I get my native 1400x1050 resolution!

What i think I did:

I reset my BIOS settings to default, booted mac, pressed FN+F4 twice so that only my internal LCD was activ ( while my VGA Dongle was still pluged in) removed the Donlge afterwards and voila: OSX boots up real fast and works like a charm! I can't believe it! I am soooo happy I could........... well, any way I could.... ;)

So now to the next thread to get my Intel WIFI card working!

So long suckers!!! :dev:

Just kidding! I would like to thank all of you guys couse without you I wouldn't have made it! YOu are amazinig!!! Thanks every one! I'm still chekcing out this thread though so if you think I can help you let me know and I'll try my best!

:)

P.S

My Notebook is a Samsung X20....

Really confused ... After trying many trick to have different resolution than 1024x768 with my Laptop (Intel 915GM Chipset), I decided to try "?Video" from boot option of MAC OS X 10.4 x386.

I discovered that no video mode for 1280x800!!!! So even "by hand" at boot time i can't boot at 1280x800. So I understand why I had no luck modifying /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist or AppleIntel915.kext and so on.

Anyone can tell me how, as first step, to enter video mode 1280x800 from boot?

No problem under Windows. Under Linux a 915 patch is loaded by the kernel before setting the screen resolution. This patch set video mode fore the chipset including the one with 1280x800.

I can't understand, in MAC OS X (x86) with AppleIntel915 driver, if something changes video mode for 915GM chipset or NOT.

Many thanks for any suggestion!!!

Okay, basically after about 9 tries and 6 osx re-installations in one week.. i've finally got it... now i have to write this quickly because im in a bit of a rush, i have to study for an exam tomorrow and its 2:30 in the morning.... so forgive me if i'm a bit unclear.. but i'll try my best.

Firstly thanks to the following people for providing help: JaS, lamer0 and Marcp1967.

The Guide

1. Go to /system/library/extensions

2. Find All the AppleIntel KEXT files:

- AppleIntel915.kext

- AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

3. Copy all of these to an external directory, and make a back up of them also. We need to modify them... but back them up just incase of anything.

4. right click the first kext file and go to "show package contents" then go to contents

5. right click the "Info.plist" file and go to open with --> other --> browse to "TextEdit"

6. use the search function (Applekey/Alt + F) and search for every and any value equaling to 0x25828086 or containing "2582".

7. Replace this value with "2592" and save the file.

------- Repeat steps 4 through to 7 for every kext file ----------

After this process is complete copy these files back to /system/library/extensions

8. Remove the AppleIntel830.kext file.

9. Open the terminal application and enter "sudo su", enter your password.

10. type the following in the terminal after logging in:

cd / <-- press enter

cd /system/library/extensions <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext   <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext <-- press enter

then...

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter.

11. Restart

Troubleshooting

Method One: If you are unable to start and you recieve a blue screen after Darwin has finished loading or after the grey screen with the apple logo (like me) connect an external monitor and restart. This should get you back into OSX.

Method Two (for those dual-booting):

- If you are dual booting for example xp and osx like me... try going into xp first.. and then booting into osx.. with the -f switch... and NO EXTERNAL MONITOR attached...

that should also work.. i just tried it twice.....

- In general try booting with the -f swtich....

- On a side note.. if you are experience sluggish performance.. not just on the graphical side.. but in general... make sure you repair your permissions this can be done by opening the terminal and entering the following:

sudo -s <-- Press enter

cd / <-- Press enter

diskutil repairPermissions / <-- Press enter

it might take a minute or two.. maybe more.. depending on what your file permissions look like...

I just noticed that after i did this... everything is working fine.. and not a single application has crashed...

-----------------------------

Good luck!

I hope it works for you all.

Tested and working on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the following:

Intel Mobile Centrino 1.6GHz

512 DDR2

Intel 915GM - GMA900 (128mb shared)

Philips CD/DVD combo drive

15.4" Widescreen running at 1280x800x32

Broadcom 440 Network Card (NIC)

Intel Wireless 2200 <-- [Not working]

Sigmatel AC97 Audio

Patches and method of installation are as follows:

- Native install from PearPC to Native

- Maxxuss' 0.4.1 SSE3 --> SEE2 emulation patch

PS: By request i've uploaded my kext files, and their configuration. Again place these files in the /system/library/extensions folder and go through step 10.

Removed for DMCA violation.

Doesn't work for me. The problem is that I can obtain 1280x800 resolution but only with an additional monitor connected to my laptop. If I reboot without it, a blue screen on my LCD and everithink dead. I hav to turn-off my laptop.

After this, I reboot in safe mode, and from this moment I only have 1024x768 resolution even if i reboot in normal mode. 1280x800 only the next time I connect a 2nd monitor.

This is a problem so long discussed in this forum, but not yet really solved.

I discovered that AppleIntel915.kext is useless, and also AppleIntel915GA.plugin and other AppleIntel915 extension. I moved them away from Extensions folder and the behaviour is not changed from the above described. The only kext that is important is AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext (without this I can't boot at all), but the problem is that it works only with 2 monitors as I told before.

It seems to me clear that the extension GMA900 is loaded ONLY if a plug-n-play display is detected (supporting different video-mode). In this case the GMA900 extension is loaded, and it manages BOTH screens correctly but assumes the main screen is the plug-n-play one.

The problem, I think, is on monitor without plug-n-play (generic display). If one of this display is detected, a generic VGA driver is loaded and only fixed resolution (1024x768) is available.

Many LCD in laptop aren't plug-n-play (no reason for them to be detected on other PC ...), so we experience the problem of fixed resolution on them.

I' not an expert on MAC hacking, but maybe someone can suggest me hot to force GMA900 driver to be loaded at startup even without a plug-n-play monitor.

Hope it helps to help me (and many other people)

Samsung X20: 1.6 GHZ, 2GB DDR RAM, Graphic: Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910 GML GMA Express Chipset Family shows up under OS X as a GMA900 with 256 VRAM

Mac OS X 10.4.7 (JaS) is running very smoothly on my notebook. Boot time is approximately 25sec. and I am also getting used to have my VGA dongle with me to start the whole thing up. Actually I like it: It’s like a car key without it you can’t run the machine :)

Software:

Office works great, Photoshop & Flash work all right only slower than under windows.

iPhoto works but the slideshow doesn’t. Is this due to the fact that my card doesn’t support QE?

What I am having problems with is watching movies. In the small window the movie runs smoothly but as soon as I turn to full screen the movements start to get choppy. Might be a codec thing but I installed Xvid and Divx and run the movies with our beloved VLC player. Anybody else have the same problem or any clue to how I might fix this?

Hardware:

Another thing is that the sleep function doesn’t work: When I put the notebook to sleep it closes down OS X but then the machine hangs on a blue screen. Any suggestions?

All Hardware works: Bluetooth and my cell phone ( Nokia 6230i) get connected properly sound is great and like on all other machines the Intel wireless 2200 card doesn’t but this is a minor issue which I am planning to solve my buying a compatible Wifi card.

The Ethernet works but only when you do a cold start into OS X, rebooting from windows results in OS X not finding a connection.

Scrolling doesn’t work with the synaptics touchpad so far.

This is the first time I really work with OS X and I don’t think I will switch back to windows. The handling is so intuitive the animations sweet…Beautiful…fast….

If you read this and have any solutions to my above mentioned problems I would appreciate your support!

Thanks in advance…

x20onosx1047nm8.jpg

Hey,

I've been working at getting QI/CE support on my "Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset" for about a week now. I've looked at everything I could possibly find in these forums and on the OSX86 wikipedia about GMA900 support.

I have 10.4.6 and also the 10.4.5 Intel kexts and have tried editing and deleting kexts from both sets in every combination I can think of, but still no luck.

There was one time where it booted and gave me GMA900 in System Profiler and I dont know what I did, but I rebooted and it was back to VGA Controller and the useless VESA mode.

One thing is that my AppleIntel915.kext will not load periodically on boot and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is useless from 10.4.6 and 10.4.5. I did read that the 10.4.4 version of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext might work so if anyone has a backup of it or knows where to find it, a message would be awesome.

Also, in some of the guides there is mention of AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext... and that is no where to be found on my system.

So if anyone can help, that would be great haha.

Besides that, everything else works on my laptop... wireless suddenly started working after 2 days, audio the same thing.. all I need to get working is this freakin card haha.

-T

The paperclip trick is genious, thanks alot.

I was about to start looking for some VGA specs, and try to find a way to imitate a VGA monitor, either by pin settings or even setting up a microcontroller that spits out rubish data, checking out the forums first really saved me alot of time, thanks!

Hello Anybody!!!

First, sorry about my english, is not good!

Well, I found a temporary solution for the BLUE SCREEN "bug"!

I read the 28 pages of this topic, and i saw that the people can't use the Mac Os X because this bug. Well, my solution is very simple, but, it solve a porcentage of the problem.

I'm using the Mac Os X 10.4.6 by JaS. This solution is based in to move all the AppleIntel video boards drivers and use the Generic Video Board Driver (Compatible VGA driver).

To start the Mac Os X in text mode, type -s in the boot. After, type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

sudo -s

Now, type your root password. With this commands, you enter in root mode and you can write in the hard disk. Now, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

Well, we need to move the Apple Intel drivers to other directory ( in this case, the / directory)

mv AppleIntel915.kext /

mv AppleIntel915GA.plugin /

mv AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle /

mv AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /

Now, you need to reboot. Type reboot

The computer reboot, boot the Mac Os X, load all files and... YEAH! You are in the Mac OS X Desktop!!!

Ok, your Mac Os X booted with a Generic Video Driver and you don't have all functions and accelerations of you video board, but, it's better then a blue screen, not ?

I wait to helped you. :D

Geléia HP (in english, is Jam Horse Power)

Mac Os X 10.4.6 User.

Muchas Gracias GeléiaHP!

Anybody tried this out, and what to you mean by "not all functions and accelerations"?

I tried the paper clip trick a few times but it just doesn't work for me ^_^

Oh and another question although it doesn't fit into this thread:

When running my notebook from battery all graphic animations like minimizing and so on are soooooo slow....?Any ideas?

Thanks again to all you guys for contributing your ideas and work arounds! Great job!!!!