[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

So, in my opinion, it's not a VRAM problem, neither a Video BIOS issue.

It's simply that it cannot find its main display... that's all.

I'll be more than happy to discuss my theory and I'll be even more happy if someone tells me that it is wrong and tells me why! :D (so I can work on it)

However thanks to all you guys, even if after 22 pages we cannot arrive to a final solution, it is good to see so much brainstorming! :)

I'm sure we're near to the solution!

For example... if my theory is correct (which probably isn't) it would be enough to edit something in the kext and "swap" the display... isn't it?

I agree with you... I don´t thik that it is a VRam Problem but "setting" the correct display adapter. The kext works perfect on destop 915 Mb with a external monitor.

I agree with you on the solution.....

But I have no idea on how to get that done.

It doesn´t seem to be editable on the Info.plist files....

After reading around, it seems that my issue with video is a unique one.

I'm currently running a Toshiba Satellite M55-S135 which (on bootup) shows that its and "Intel 915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Chip".

I was running OS 10.4.1 on the machine with ZERO video problems when I decided to upgrade to OS 10.4.5. Dowloaded the DVD (it was prepatched), installed and rebooted. Here's the fun part.

If I boot the machine up normally, it runs through a whoooole bunch of lines of text (too fast to read) and then goes to a black screen and stalls.

If I hook up an external monitor, same thing.

:)

Here's where I got creative. After accidently pushing the install DVD back into the drive, I noticed that with the external display unplugged, the boot sequence went futher then when the DVD was out of the drive, but it did NOT boot all the way into the OS.

Now, if I put the install DVD in the drive (and let it time out) AND connect an external monitor, the computer boots all the way into the OS (w/ out any switches) and I'm able to eject the disc and put in anything I want (once I'm in OS X).

I have no idea as to what this is and how to fix it, but I hope someone does, as this seems to be the oddest thing. On a side note, I tried to use the "fix" first mentioned in this thread, but I don't had the AppleIntelIntergratedGraphics.kext file

TIA!

So, in my opinion, it's not a VRAM problem, neither a Video BIOS issue.

It's simply that it cannot find its main display... that's all.

For example... if my theory is correct (which probably isn't) it would be enough to edit something in the kext and "swap" the display... isn't it?

That's what I've been thinking as well.

In my previous post I supplied code for a little program that will probe the CoreGraphics API for information on the attached displays. The weird thing is that neither of the displays are listed as "builtin". My guess is that the 915gm driver has some sort of (intentional?) bug which in turn causes the graphics server to fail when only a single display exists. Perhaps if the builtin display were properly reported by the driver as "builtin" then the graphics server would attach to the right device??

One possible workaround would be to write a dummy display driver kext that passes through any calls to the real 915 driver, except for display probe calls that ask which device is "builtin". We could try to hack the 915 kext to always return "builtin" on such calls, but that would break booting with multiple displays attached. Modifying the driver so that it returns "builtin" only if a single display is attached would be difficult as it would involve adding branch instructions. Certainly beyond my ability but perhaps if there's an x86 assembly guru on the list they could do it.

I was hoping originally that it would be enough to run a program at boot that sets the main display via the CoreGraphics API. There's a few commented out lines of code in the little program I previously posted that will set the main display. Trouble was that I couldn't get the thing to run at startup when booting without the external display. I'm not sure why. Is it because CoreGraphics failed to initialize itself due to the driver bug?

Incidentally, the display resolution can also be set via CoreGraphics, in case somebody wants to tinker...

Oh right, that would have saved some time making my dummy adaptor. I hacked the connector off the end of a cable, took the plastic off it to reveal just the pins and metal casing. I wired two resistors onto it, encased it all in glue (neatly) before wrapping it up, it actually looks much better than it sounds and it works a treat.

What i had in mind was like if the people with desktops.... do they get to see if they have a monitor connected or not? because there might be some link.. another thing i noticed was that if i just update the integrated graphics kext in 10.4.1 , i cud get ny resolution but without core extreme or other thing enabled so it was really slow!.... now i cant even run 10.4.1 :<... please ny1 whose good at this come up with some solution.... i tried to fool my laptop , dv4000 to think i had a monitor connected..but it didnt work..i just connected cables into the vga port..

thanks guys who evers working on it.. n i hope we come up with a soltn.

Hello. I just installed OSX86 and i am amazed. I use the method of the 2 wires on my HP Pavilion dv4000. Im sorry but i am cra in search so can you please help me making some nicer looking and more stable plug for this VGA which will work.

Thanks in advance

Buy a VGA/s-video connector, and solder 2 wires on the appropriate pins (connect them).

Can you give me some kind of newbie howto for the required componenst and the exact things to do. I am newbie.

Thanks for the reply

Guest goodtime

OSX86, HowTo- GMA900 graphics working on 10.4.6 Intel Mac

How to get GMA900 working on 10.4.6 with QE and CI:

From 10.4.5 kext copy this file AppleIntel915.kext to your Desktop:

Control-Click on AppleIntel915.kext -> Show Package Contents -> Contents -> open "Info.plist" (open using Text Edit or Property List Editor) Property List Editor comes with Xcode/Developer Tools.

Under IODVDBundlename change "AppleIntel915DVDDriver" to "AppleIntelGMA950VADriver"

Under IOGLBundleName change "AppleIntel915GLDriver" to "AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver"

Under IOCFPlugInTypes/ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e change "AppleIntel915GA.plugin" to "AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin"

Move these Kext's from System/Library/Extensions to your trash [select them in Finder and Cmd-Delete] (Authenicate using your Admin Password):

AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntel915GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

Now copy the modified "AppleIntel915.kext" back to your system from Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app using this command:

sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/AppleIntel915.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Type Admin Password.

Reboot. If everything well well you'll something like this under System Profiler:

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

DELL 2001FP:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Enjoy having your GMA 900 Video working. DVD will now Launch. Quartz Extreme and Core Image are now fully functional.

Sincerely,

Goodtime

Todd's Tech Podcast

Keyword: toddcast @ iTunes

http://art5dog.com/techcast

WOAH!

I don't have 10.4.6, but i will certainly look for it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PROVIDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS GOODTIME!!!!

I will now go find 10.4.6, I urge the rest of you to follow!

Just wanted to show how i managed the dongle building... i didn't build a dongle, just two metal wire jumpers.

IMGP1546.jpg

IMGP1547.jpg

IMGP1548.jpg

Hope someone finds it useful.

Bye.

Now that 10.4.6 is almost done, I can assure you all that tomorow I will try out this software solution.

In the meantime, I htink it should also be doable in 10.4.4/5, as long as these also run on a mac mini.

In the end, it's only renaming a bunch of stuff.

I will try it with my current install and report back [quickly].

Hmm...didn't see that. Hey who knows, maybe it'll work for us too!

Anyways, it didn't work. All that happened was no QE or CG. All else stayed the same.

*crossing fingers*

Guest goodtime

The GMA900 renaming hack works in 10.4.6. I did get 2 mouse tears.

Someone has already included patched Intel 915/900 drivers on a Patched 10.4.6. Installed today. Works great and may work better than my example.

As a bonus, I now have 5.1 Surround Sound on my USB Sound card. Never worked before! :(

Cheers,

Goodtime

post-22137-1145414823_thumb.png

post-22137-1145414905_thumb.png

Guest goodtime

This is a GMA Patched 900 Driver from JaS' latest 10.4.6 patched DVD.

This weekend, it can be found by listening to next week's Todd's Tech Podcast [keyword: toddcast] @ iTunes

on a 915chipset on a external monitor QE and C supported on a external monitor. everything but wireless. well i edited the 915 kext and added the appleintelintegratedgraphics kext . rebooted and nothing. then rebooted -f then it worked without the monitor with QE and C and everything working it even detected the other display. i then tried to add the appleairport2 kext and rebooted. back to square one. i noticed on -V that it says that there is a link/load error on the appleintelintegrated graphics kext.

so bottom line i edited the kext rebooted normal, nothing.then rebooted -f and it lcd works. rebooted again after trying to install appleairport and i get a load error in the integrated kext.

seems like the headlessmac problem is a big problem

Guest goodtime

I'll try to share as much information as possible about GMA900. This will help fix things in the future and brainstorm ideas. I hope the sharing of info on this site continues to flurish!

For the JaS GMA900 Drivers from the GMA900 go to:

art5dog.com/techcast

Look under comments about GMA900

The disk image is encryted. The Password will be given out on Todd's Tech Podcast @ iTunes Keyword: techcast

EPISODE 9

Goodtime

but goodtime, this thread is for LAPTOP gma900 graphics, not desktop.

I have tried this all on my notebook and it simply doesn't work.

-Urby

PS im discouraged. :)

PPS Thought i might add that QE and CG don't work...Could someone post all the kexts froma working 10.4.5 laptop please? Thank you.

PPPS If we can force a kext to be installed, does anyone think we could force the gma950 drivers to work? Maybe? Hopefully... Anyone know of a kext auto installer?

Guest goodtime

Urby3,

Whatever dude, just TRYING to F*ing help.

Have you've tried the GMA 900 driver from JaS' DVD YET??

Then get a GMA Desktop.

I have a Radeon 9200 laptop and there are NO drivers for it, so just get over it.

Have fun finding help..

And ONE Last DG thing. Try JaS' GMA 900 Driver.. Then complain to yourself for not buying a MacBook Pro or wait for the MacBook to come out!

Good day..

P.S.

Sorry, I don't have a GMA Laptop. How am I supposed to know this thread is for LAPTOPS. This is really starting to {censored} me off.

And the next time I find something useful you can Kiss my white ass.

Have a nice day,

Goodtime