[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Really confused ... After trying many trick to have different resolution than 1024x768 with my Laptop (Intel 915GM Chipset), I decided to try "?Video" from boot option of MAC OS X 10.4 x386.

I discovered that no video mode for 1280x800!!!! So even "by hand" at boot time i can't boot at 1280x800. So I understand why I had no luck modifying /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist or AppleIntel915.kext and so on.

Anyone can tell me how, as first step, to enter video mode 1280x800 from boot?

No problem under Windows. Under Linux a 915 patch is loaded by the kernel before setting the screen resolution. This patch set video mode fore the chipset including the one with 1280x800.

I can't understand, in MAC OS X (x86) with AppleIntel915 driver, if something changes video mode for 915GM chipset or NOT.

Many thanks for any suggestion!!!

You don't actually need to edit anything after you plug paper clip thing/resistors (my recommendations go with resistors) as of 10.4.4. What you are trying to do is to force VESA to use 1280x800. Since that is not a standard VESA resolution, it simply refuses to work. However, once when the Intel GMA driver is loaded, OS X knows that your native resolution is 1280x800.

What some reported with 10.4.6 JaS installation is that even with vga/s-video dongle and with native resolution, they don't have CE&QI. To solve that, you have to install driver again (it's a simple installation wizard). Link for it was floating around on this forum, but if you experience these kind of problems and can't find it, just PM and I will email it to you. I am keeping it for the nostalgic reasons ;-)

Boot Into Single User Mode By Pressing F8 and typing -s

then type

/sbin/mount -uw /

then Navigate to the Extensions Directory

cd /System/Library/Extensions

Then Move the AppleIntel915 Driver files to / Directory

mv AppleIntel915.kext /
mv AppleIntel915GA.plugin /
mv AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle /
mv AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /

Then Change Permissions for /AppleIntel915.kext file

chmod -R 755 /AppleIntel915.kext
chown -R root:wheel /AppleIntel915.kext

Then edit /etc/rc in vi

sudo vi /etc/rc

Scroll to the end by using the down error key and type the Following Text before the exit 0 String

kextload /AppleIntel915.kext

Press Ctrl + C to exit the Insert Mode

Now Press Shift + : and type w then press Enter to save the File

Now Again Press Shift + : and type q to Quit vi

Then Reboot the Computer by the following command

reboot

Now you will see your Macs Desktop

I am not sure wheather you will get Graphic Acceleration or not

-Rajprit

rajprit007@gmail.com

No, with this method I am sure you will lose QE and CI. You basically moved kexts to root of disk. It's the same effect as deleting mentioned kexts from Extensions folder.

For sure QE and CI would not be supported, but am not sure about the native resolution (probably you'll be stuck with 1024x768)

Hi Dudes... wonder if anyone can help. I have read thru all of this but am a bit lost...

I had a 10.4.1 vers running on my Dell Inspiron 6000 with 915GM, with the paperclip trick (1-6 2-12) and mods to appleintelintegrated kexts & was getting good screen resolutions, I had no sound, no cd writing or power management, or bluetooth or wifi, and unpredicatable shutdown/reboot (tho it worked better with 'platform=ACPI' in the startuop) :)

I tried to install (upgrade) to a patched iso of 10.4.6 with SSE2 that i downloaded somewhere, and it got all the way thru install but bluescreened with errors when i tried to boot - guess it dint have 915gm drivers?? I reinstalled 10.4.1... :( :( I tried a few times to do this - reinstalling 10.4.1 and upgrading to 10.4.6 with diff options deselected (like the AMD patch which was left on the first time) but with no luck... (should i have done a clean install?)

Could someone give me an idiots guide to getting 10.4.6/10.4.7 working on this machine? I know linux a fair bit but I don't know just how I can get the drivers from 10.4.5 into the 10.4.6 install (which is wot it sounds like i need to do).... ????

It would also be great if anyone with this setup or similar could tell me how much of my kit i can get working... (it has a pentium M (SSE2), Sigma Tel C-Major Audio, a toshiba bluetooth chipset, Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG, and a TSSTCorp TSL 462C CDRW/DVD drive....

This is turning into something of an obsession!

Look forward to getting back up to date...... :-) if it's possible!

Cheers, theWoosh

Well - i downloaded a jas 10.4.7 iso that looked promising, and installed it fine with extra monitor plugged in - included gma900 support.... When I fdisked my Windows XP partition back to Active and rebooted (I have a WinXp option and the chain0 i copied off my earlier 10.4.1 install as the 2nd boot option), it no longer did anything on my OSX boot option - just went back to the boot menu every time....

I've looked at the new install from windows (macdrive 6) and I thought i would try to recopy the chain0 file, but it no longer appears in the usr/standalone/i386 directory - all i can see there is a file called boot.efi (which wasnt in the earlier version).

I presume Apple have changed the way the system boots...?

any ideas?

it's just one thing after another.... obviously apple don't really need to worry about anyone knicking their OS - you have to spend weeks getting it working! it would sure have been easier to buy a mac (but not so much fun i spose)... the real effect of this will be to get more people buying macs coz running windows on it will be easy!

Cheers, theWoosh

You don't actually need to edit anything after you plug paper clip thing/resistors (my recommendations go with resistors) as of 10.4.4. What you are trying to do is to force VESA to use 1280x800. Since that is not a standard VESA resolution, it simply refuses to work. However, once when the Intel GMA driver is loaded, OS X knows that your native resolution is 1280x800.

What some reported with 10.4.6 JaS installation is that even with vga/s-video dongle and with native resolution, they don't have CE&QI. To solve that, you have to install driver again (it's a simple installation wizard). Link for it was floating around on this forum, but if you experience these kind of problems and can't find it, just PM and I will email it to you. I am keeping it for the nostalgic reasons ;-)

ThanX for your suggestion. Trying to get the driver, at the end I got a new install of 10.4.5 . With this patched version I solved my problem, sometimes with clips on the external monitor soket, sometimes even without.

Really misteryous ... but it works ;)

Bye

Woooo!

At last!

I now have a dual boot xp/osx dell 6000.... (I even pasted a mac logo over the dell one!)

I installed Acronis OS selector, but this didnt help - I was just getting the apple logo and nothing else. So I reformatted the drive (from the install dvd using disk utility) and reinstalled a 10.4.6 patched ISo from Myz(with a 2nd monitor plugged in) - worked brilliantly - i pulled out the monitor and stuck me paper clips back in the vga socket (1-6 2-12) and it still worked. I've got Sound input & output, Ethernet, proper screen resolutions, CD-RW and Bluetooth support right out of the box! I then installed the powermanagement bundle so the battery management worked properly... havent tried the bluetooth or sd card yet.

So the only thing I know that don't work is the wireless, but i knew there would be problems with this - may have to buy a usb dongle instead....

I ve got a feeling that my original chain boot loader would have worked and I didnt need the Acronis thing, but if it aint bust....

Now I think I'm gonna stick here for a bit, I'm quite happy with 10.4.6 for the time being :-)

Cheers

hi!

i got that funny 'only starts with external monitor' thing...

i got JAS 10.4.7, the GMA900-addon,

my laptop is a msi s260 with gma915 chipset.

everything works fine except the boot without an external monitor.

i only got AppleIntel915.kext in my extensions folder, and couldn't try the

workaround with the AppleIntel830.kext....

i also don't have the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

help?! please!

eyetv works fine with terratec USB hybrid XS (more nice than on the pc!)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been running jas 10.4.7 on a compaq presario v2000 laptop with intel 915gm. Everything seems to work fine using the wire trick, or plugging in an external monitor. One problem I have is that the screen on the external display has an annoying flicker, as if the refresh rate has been set too low, even though it is set at 85Hz in the display preferences. I do not have the same problem when booting into windows xp. Has anyone seen a similar problem? Are there any known fixes? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have an ASUS W3A laptop with Embedded Intel 915 GM graphics. I used the external monitor trick, but I am not getting support for CI/QE is there something I am missing it also shows in system profile only 64 mb of video memory not 128 mb as it should. I poked around the forums and found this posting, but I didn't see anything that showed how to enable CI/QE it seems like it worked for some and not others can some one give me detail as to how they got CI/QE working and how to make OSX see the true amount of video memory. Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody!!! :)

I want to buy a new Monitor! Probably a 22" Wide screen LCD ( Fujitsu-Siemens LCD/TFT-Monitor L 22-1 W).

Question, will it work on my built in GMA 900?

I hooked up my notebook to a Phillips 19" LCD of a friend of mine and altough I could choose many many different resolutions in the display preferences only low res. up to 1024x768 worked. When I tried 1400x1050 the desktop showed up but didn't fill up the whole LCD there was a black bar on the right side. Any higher ones gave me a black monitor with the "out of range" text....Even the 1280 x 1024 which is supposed to be the right resolution of his LCD ended with the OSD message "can't display resolution".

When I plug in my 15" LCD I can only choose res. between 640x480 and 1024x768...

So will I be able to get the native 1680 x 1050 resolution on the 22" LCD I want to buy?

Or do I have to tweak anything to enable this type of resolution?

According to this the GMA900 supports

- 2048x1536 at 85 Hz maximum resolution

- Dynamic Display Modes for flat-panel and wide-screen support

But does this also automatically apply to How OS X can control the card?

Thank you very much for your support!!! :D

Edited by ufulu

• 1 month later...

Thank you Goodtime, this last howto combined with installed the AppleIntel915 kext did the trick. Now my Intel i915GM is now fully supported :(

OSX86, HowTo- GMA900 graphics working on 10.4.6 Intel Mac

How to get GMA900 working on 10.4.6 with QE and CI:

From 10.4.5 kext copy this file AppleIntel915.kext to your Desktop:

Control-Click on AppleIntel915.kext -> Show Package Contents -> Contents -> open "Info.plist" (open using Text Edit or Property List Editor) Property List Editor comes with Xcode/Developer Tools.

Under IODVDBundlename change "AppleIntel915DVDDriver" to "AppleIntelGMA950VADriver"

Under IOGLBundleName change "AppleIntel915GLDriver" to "AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver"

Under IOCFPlugInTypes/ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e change "AppleIntel915GA.plugin" to "AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin"

Move these Kext's from System/Library/Extensions to your trash [select them in Finder and Cmd-Delete] (Authenicate using your Admin Password):

AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntel915GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

Now copy the modified "AppleIntel915.kext" back to your system from Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app using this command:

sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/AppleIntel915.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Type Admin Password.

Reboot. If everything well well you'll something like this under System Profiler:

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

DELL 2001FP:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Enjoy having your GMA 900 Video working. DVD will now Launch. Quartz Extreme and Core Image are now fully functional.

Sincerely,

Goodtime

Todd's Tech Podcast

Keyword: toddcast @ iTunes

http://art5dog.com/techcast

hi i just installed OSX on my Dell Inspiron B120. After a couple of tries, I was finally able to avoid the blue screen and boot all the way. Although the resolution has been fixed, I would like to know why Core Image and Quartz Extreme are not supported. Please help me, I'm new to this.

Greetings,

Just for the record, GMA 915GM on my Toshiba R200 is working now. Using package "DiaboliK.GMA900.Fixer.pkg". And i have learnt the tricks to boot without external monitor. Here:

Pay attention to the booting process, between the grey apple boot screen and the blue background. I press Fn + F5 three times. Which means, Once I see apple boot screen disappear, I do that. Doing that means, Toggle BIOS Display to be in this sequence: LCD + External Monitor -> External Monitor -> LCD Panel. Once on the 3rd time, LCD display will be back with Mac loading. No error at all, and works so far 100%. Some of you might like to try that, especially on your Toshiba Computer. To make myself clear, once you see apple boot screen disappear, hold on to "Fn" and hit "F5" continuously, for 3 times, which tells the BIOS to set the display back to LCD Panel. As for your BIOS setting for Output Device, just leave it as"Auto Detect".

Hope it helps.