[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

But I have this spec

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x000e

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I dont have AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext, from where i will get the same. if anyone of you have the same kext plz fwd me.

picture25ac.png

Guest goodtime
...and OSX only run on Macintosh, right...

Someone would have to patch the laptop 950 driver to work with BIOS, unless you have an EFI PC.

That's my guess.

Woo!

Got 10.4.6 working on my Acer Travelmate 2423 - Jas release - I got it booting fine with wifi and sound but only on an external monitor, with bluescreen from the internal one and no "Arrangement" tab in the display prefs (the switch display, fn F5, did nothing either)

Well, after fishing about in the bios, I found the "Power on Display" setting and changed it to "both" instead of "Auto", it not only booted with the internal display fully functional and fully accellerated (Core Image and Quartz extreme both fine), but also in native widescreen and I'm posting this from my x86 mac. It still needs a VGA dongle, but that's next week's little project as I'm off to Paris.

......it's been a struggle since my ibook enjoyed a nice cup of tea!

Hope that helps somebody, as nothing else I found in here solved my circumstances, specifically.

For all of you who were able to install and run with QE/CI on a laptop connected to an external monitor, but where the external dongle (either VGA or S-video) would only boot to a limited blue window with a mouse pointer and not the full enviornment - try this:

With the external monitor attached, reset the video resolution to the default values by following the directions here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107319

(here was the clue that led down this path... see this article at MacOSXhints)

Reboot with your external monitor, setup your displays to your liking (internal display primary to the correct resolution, mirror on, etc.).

[if you want to be extra careful, reboot a couple times to ensure the display settings "stick" ok for your liking]

Now, lock down the preference file for your screen resolutions:

% sudo chflags uchg /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

(another reference to MacOSXhints)

[if you want to be extra careful, reboot a couple times with the monitor attached to see if everything works OK]

Finally - shut down, plug in your VGA dongle, and reboot again - your machine should be able to boot consistently with the dongle and have the LCD working OK

I sold my Toshiba and got a MBP so I can´t test anymore, but having had the same problems, I still have sympathy for the forum........

Has anybody read the new solution for the ATI x1600.....???

Has anybody tried implementng something similar on their osx laptops???? Could be a new approach!

phew that was a lot to read...

The working solution I have is two wires pin 1-5 and pin2 to 12. I tried resistors first which worked fine just pluged them into the vga connector but was ugly. I actually tried an Led on the vga connector, it lit up but wouldnt boot. pity i was hoping to turn that into a feature :)

further back in the thread is a picture showing 1-5 and 3-7 dont think that will work its definately pin 12 that needs some feedback.

I know no one likes the dongle but in 8 months this has been the best solution so far

I kinda think that apple were a little sneaky in that the chipset has 2 outputs and the pc laptops use one for default internal and the other for external, and apple just decided to make thier systems with it swopped round. Probably is a way round this in software if we could find where it chooses one display output as default.

I'm not worried a dongle is fine for me except...

somethings messed up my desktop I was using the Mirror mode to give me a single desktop which was fine problem is now in mirror mode it thinks the external display (two bits of bent wire into the vga socket) is only capable of 800 by 600 and so mirror mode sets both desktops at 800*600 :) now if i don't use mirror mode i can have the 10xx by 768 display internally and risk losing my mouse on to the invisable display.

I know also if i pull my wires put an external display on and set them up it should let me go back to the previous mirrored at 10xx by 768 display. somewhere its written that my external display is 800 by 600 anyone know where this is kept.

I have a wild theory that MAC's cache the kext files this allows a fast boot because you don't have to redetect hardware each boot time. The only thing is if something changes your macs config then an order is given to redetect everything and the cache gets flushed. My mac knew that the bigger resolution worked before and so kept that size now its asking two bits of wire what resolution are you capable of and coz the wires say nowt it's defaulting to the minimum that monitor should display -800 by 600

i think what did it for me was this rooster alarm clock program silly bit of shareware...

anyway this is where I am with 10.4.5

hmm i went wrong somewhere with this.

plugging an external monitor did give me 2 displays of 1024 by768 so selected mirrored and rebooted on the reboot it was back to the external monitor thinking it was 800 by 600 again

I think its possible to connect diodes between pins 7 10 and 4 in a particular arrangement to id the fake monitor as a particular monitor type.

basically a mac pulls each of these pins low in sequence and depending on the orientation of the diodes produces a 1 or 0 on the other 2 pins. i just havent figured what the fake external monitor should configure as

Every proprietary TV (which wire/pin hack actually does) has a maximum res of 800x600. You cannot change that because computer thinks 800x600 is a maximum resolution supported by the external monitor/tv.

I had trouble with mirror mode (accidentally turned it on). I've tried so much stuff, but what eventually worked was tapping in the dark and trying to shoot display option in the upper right corner and turn off the mirror mode. Worked for me!!

If that helps....

Hi all! I have 10.4.6 and GMA900, but CI and QE does not work. Here is what I get in System Profiler:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

BenQ FP51G:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

The device ID is also correct. Then what is the matter?

Hi all,

Im using the 10.4.3 (laptop with external screen for now) and I do not have excatly the file you taked about

in the file appleintel915.kext I do not have the line I have to replace :

. use the search function (Applekey/Alt + F) and search for every and any value equaling to 0x25828086 or containing "2582".

I have like appelintel915.kext and appleintelframebuffer or something like this.

Under Windows My board is Intel915 integrated. So I belive I have the good hardware.

I try to find on the web the files you talk about appleintel830 and the apple915 modified but I cant...

So I wonder if you know why.... In case of I tried to installed the 10.4.6 but At the boot

even with a external monitor I have some weird things, I cant see the screen.(But I have the startup music). I see my screen

messed up with all the windows upside down.....

, the only way to use it its to start in safe mode -x. I try to change every parameters

and it still not working.

Anybody have any idea can help me? files? difference i915driver between 1043 to 10.4.6?

a link to this 2 misterious file?

Thxxxxxxxxx

HP DV4000 Work with 10.4.3

P4 1.6 Ghz

Sound ac97 working (1043 &1046) (with easy button (Volume))

512 Ram 60 Go

17inch widescreen.

Video i915 64 to 128 share (Working with 10.4.3 with external displ.)

Wireless intell 2200G 9not working

Wifi Belkin PCMCIA (should work, On the Compusa website they said Mac compatible.)

Don't know how, i've just got back QE&CI on my Toshiba GMA900 laptop WITH EXTERNAL DISPLAY... only thing i've done today is installing the hacked GMA package for 10.4.6... still need to see wether it works without display/dongle or not.

Don't know how, i've just got back QE&CI on my Toshiba GMA900 laptop WITH EXTERNAL DISPLAY... only thing i've done today is installing the hacked GMA package for 10.4.6... still need to see wether it works without display/dongle or not.

Do tell us if that resolves the dongle issue. Cheers

no way, still need the external display :-(

i managed to boot without dongle once, but it never happened again.

sometime i regret 10.4.3... i did'nt have wifi and it was slow because of rosetta running all the time, but display worked without dongle... anyway i kept 10.4.3 on another HDD, so i can roll back whenever i want.

i'm currently comparing every extension in my 10.4.3 install with the 10.4.6 ones. maybe i made a magic change in one of the files, who knows...

[edit] no way: the Info.plist files are all the same and it still does not work. I even tried the solution on page 1, no effect at all.

I still have perfect display, QE/CI with external display attached. After bootup, I can unplug the display and redetect monitors, OSX will correctly detect, but sometimes it can't come back from sleep.

I posted this in a top thread, but figured I should add it here for anyone following this thread...

Had myself quite a few days of lots of reading and trying things out and it came down to an extremely simple solution.

I succesfully installed the 10.4.6 on a Dell Latitude D510, with the only exception that I could not get the audio to work without a bad stutter and I had that damned dual display issue...

Lots and lots of reading, many others had similar problems. I came across a mod to pin the monitor port...actually, I came across two of them, one is definitely wrong (I think it damaged the video output..more in a sec), and the other I had not checked yet. One has two jumpers to two pin groups on the upper two rows, while the other has one jumper going to the bottom row from the top. The latter is the mod I did and the one I think caused this damage....(at least I suspect)...

Originally when I installed, I had no major problems getting to the desktop aside from the minor audio and display issue. After all the reading, I attempted the mod. It did not solve my problem, in that I prefer not to have that mod in favour of a software fix if I can. But it worked for the purpose at hand. Then I did another software mod on the audio part and killed the OS to the point I thought it easier to simply start from scratch. WRONG!

The install went as it did every time before. This time however, on the first reboot, I could not get the display to display properly. The effect was, boot logo...then to light blue screen, mouse curser in upper left corner...then the screen darkens slightly and the mouse dissapears. Then that god awful movie intro...which incidently was not visible, though I could hear the choppy sound. Eventually, after a safemode boot, I killed that stupid thing and set my login details there. But any attempt to boot into normal mode would present me with the darkening screen, though the mouse curser remained, the screen displayed what amounted to artifacting in a strange way. Move and click the mouse anywhere on the screen and a box of a different colour might appear...size and placement is completely random.

Long story short, this lead to a couple days more reading and trying things out. Found a mod to edit specific strings in the intel graphics files, but that didn't work. Thinking I had jack to lose, I trashed ALL the Intel related files in the /system/library/extensions folder.

Then I rebooted...I was going to go safemode at first, but got distracted and by the time I looked back, noticed that familiar boot logo and then the desktop. I should point out, the laptop was not plugged into an external monitor and the port was not jumpered. That was the first thing I noticed as I thought about the fact that deleting the files not only fixed the visual issue, it eliminated that damn dual monitor issue.

AND, I should mention this as a point of coincidence or directly affected, the audio is no longer a stuttering nightmare either.

I am currently dual booting, XP on primary first partion, Mac on primary second partition. The mac partition is the active partition, F8 allows me to select the OS. The Mac is making FULL use of everything in the laptop, wireless, internal nic, USB and the DVD/CD-RW.

This could be all a fluke of circumstances, but I think this could solve a lot of problems for many other there...maybe some others with similar hardware could "try" the delete method and verify my findings....

Incidently, testing out that monitor port through XP, it is still functional, so I doubt I did any serious damage to the hardware, but yet, that visual problem is quite perplexing.

Actually, no...because the VPU is an Intel, neither of those technologies is applicable, that and the VRAM is maxed out at 8MB total. The laptop is anything but bleeding edge...plenty for what I use it for...IT/IS work...truth be told, the display is responsive enough on its own...though I haven't tried anything beyond desktop stuff. It does QT movies alright...still haven't progressed enough on the OS to start playing with MPEG and WMV and DVD formats. I discovered today that the AirPort was not functioning. I am not certain when it stopped functioning...I was too busy trying to find the cause of the video error that I neglected to check it...I'll have another go tonight with an install again, to see if the hardware is at least seen before I do the hacking...

since you deleted everything with intel, youre basically running on Vesa mode. Thats why you lac CI/QE. This was the very first and most basic solution to booting gma900 laptops. Since then , the quest is to enable drivers and CI/QE....

I insist that the solution maybe somewhere similar to the ATI in the Borisandenov thread

Well, I just reinstalled the whole shebang. Still that same screwed up display...the file that fixes this initially is the AppleIntel915.kext when I delete that file. The dual display issue is related to AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, deleted I get the single display.

The AirPort is enabled again, so I am not sure what caused the failure in the last install. I will try reinstalling the 915 kext file and see if the visual issue comes back....

So it would seem that the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext was where the video issue arose. Trying to reinstall the drivers all did nothing except this one, which amounted to a failed GUI load...this time all I got was the text part of the boot and the notice that the graphical interface was loading....and then nothing except a lot of HDD accessing. The GUI never did appear...so I deleted the files in question again and that is where I am. I doubt there is a need to remove the other drivers, just the framebuffer it would seem.

Tomorrow I will attempt to reinstall yet again and try just removing the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext file by itself. And maybe by then I'll have learned more from a few local sources on what could be a fix.

I guess I am on the generic VESA, but even so, it is a functional environment and I do not need that pesky dongle to boot. :graduated:

VESA has approximately no interest... everyone can do VESA. And some things don't work without QE/CI, like VLC Media Player... that's why we're all trying to get consistent display WITH QE/CI enabled in this topic... come on, go on testing, we'll do it!

maybe deleting ONLY the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer would work? gonna try that at home.

VESA has approximately no interest... everyone can do VESA. And some things don't work without QE/CI, like VLC Media Player... that's why we're all trying to get consistent display WITH QE/CI enabled in this topic... come on, go on testing, we'll do it!

maybe deleting ONLY the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer would work? gonna try that at home.

Agreed. No way I'm going to lose QE/CI just to lose the VGA dongle. Hope someone manages to find a solution in time ...