[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed JaS' 10.4.6 install DVD on my VAIO FJ1S (900 GMA based).

It still need a dummy s-video adapter to prevent blue screen. I prefer using headphones plugged on the s-video jack, which is less intrusive than the two wire trick... This is only needed until the log window is here...

CI and QE work fine (these did not work for with 10.4.{1,3,5}).

FYI, I've also noticed that disabling LDC expand can result in problem getting a native resolution, even with a dummy adapter.

Finally, it seems 10.4.6 run faster than previous version (but did not bench...)

Cheers.

Seb

:wq!

GoodTime...geeze...this thread has been about laptops since post number 1.

I invite you to start a new topic for desktops with gma900.

Alright back on-topic. I received a few instructions for installing a kext:

1) Ownership and loading:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/"kext name"

sudo kextload /System/Library/"kext name"

2) Rebuild the kext cache:

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

To view loaded kexts, type: "kextstat -l" or go to the "extensions" option on the left pane in system profiler.

So you all know, 10.4.5 drivers still work in 10.4.6, they're what i'm using now. The ones on the JaS dvd work without CG or QE. Both need dongles to boot for me, but based on what blabla posted, i guess this varies. I'm curious....blabla, how much video memory does system profiler say your gma900 is using, and what are your setting concerning the gfx card in the bios setup?

Now, I will try to force gma950 drivers to work...

Also, could people who feel comfortable in terminal install a few different kexts to record what different kexts do on different systems? If you do decide to help out, be sure to post bios settings and mac os x's profiler graphics pane.

Thanks,

Urby

So you all know, 10.4.5 drivers still work in 10.4.6, they're what i'm using now. The ones on the JaS dvd work without CG or QE. Both need dongles to boot for me, but based on what blabla posted, i guess this varies. I'm curious....blabla, how much video memory does system profiler say your gma900 is using, and what are your setting concerning the gfx card in the bios setup?

The System Profiler says "256MB used", but I know only 128MB can be allocated. About the BIOS settings, VAIO's BIOS really sucks, nothing can be configured... Just the expand mode on/off I was talking about. Also no configuration about external monitor...

FYI, if it helps, here some screenshots of the System Profiler.

Cheers,

post-22431-1145890433_thumb.jpg

post-22431-1145890448_thumb.jpg

The System Profiler says "256MB used", but I know only 128MB can be allocated.

Same as on my X20 - in the BIOS you can choose between automatic, 64 MB or 128 MB, so i set it up to 128 MB and the system profiler also shows me "256 MB used"....

Same here with the "256 MB used" thing. But i noticed a difference with my profiler screen and yours...When i connect the dongle, i get 2 monitors showing up.

did you refresh the screens before you took the screenshot?

Also, my bios options are just "64 MB or 128 MB", so i can't configure much in there either. ;)

Most of them.

The only ones (i think) that people said worked were those with advanced settings in the bios, reported on an asus laptop.

Thing is, it isn't just for qe/cg to work, just to BOOT at all! otherwise, we just get a blue screen.

-Urby

Guest goodtime

Wow, I don't know it was so difficult on a GMA laptop.

Are there any laptops that are similiar to the same video chipset as the MacBook Pro? Are there any ATI and Nvidia based laptops that work out of the box?

Thanks,

Goodtime

so what actually works?

90% of the posts are just people arguing.

does the pin trick in the vga work?

i have a b130 which dell seems to lock at 8mb.

allready filed my complaint for false advertising on that one

No idea, GoodTime, but i don't think so.

I was under the impression that the real mac ATI cards have some special firmware...that's why we need to create or patch our own drivers.

GMA is sort of odd because for some reason not as many people care. Personally I think it's because an ATI or NVIDIA based driver will work on more than one model...or it could be that the majority of OS x86 users simply have dedicated graphics cards!!

-Urby

Hi guys..

After trying everything.. Here's my solution for HP Pavillion dv1000 withGMA 900.

1. rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915.kext

2. edited /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

• <key>IOProviderClass</key>
    <string>IOGraphics</string> (it was IOFramebuffer)

3. reboot

my notebook display works fine after that withou any error. Resolution 1280x768 (widescreen).

Now I have to fingure out my NIC (Realtech) and wireless connection, lemme know if you guys know a good solution for that.

Cheers!

Does not work for me.

I deleted AppleIntel915.kext, edited AppleIntel915GA.plugin, rebooted (reboot via terminal) and without dummy s-video all i got is blue screen.

Additionaly, after pluging in dummy s-video QE i CI weren't supported.

What version do you use? I am on 10.4.4.

Also, notice that I am on dv1000 as well.

Same here with the "256 MB used" thing. But i noticed a difference with my profiler screen and yours...When i connect the dongle, i get 2 monitors showing up.

did you refresh the screens before you took the screenshot?

I always disconnect the dummy adapter after OSX boots. When it goes into sleep mode after a while, the external monitor is no longer detected, but native res., CI/QE still works...

Tried connecting external monitor, and osx run fine, HighRes+QE+CI supported.

Not using external monitor gives me blue screen :whistle:

Try using dummy adapter, OSX somewhat hangs at 'Starting OS X' screen, the progress bar just stuck, but i can see the HardDrive lamp indicator blinking and I can move the mouse pointer around :D

any suggestion?

Some days ago I had a BLUE SCREEN every time I tried to boot.

Then I tried so clic FN and F8 together and now the laptop boots very well (OS 10.4.3).

In my laptop such combination of FN and F8 activate other monitors than the LCD, but I don't connect any other monitor. It's simply a bluff.

My laptop is ASUS M5, but many laptops use same thing.

Sorry for my poor english!

Guest goodtime
Hi guys..

After trying everything.. Here's my solution for HP Pavillion dv1000 withGMA 900.

1. rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915.kext

2. edited /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

• <key>IOProviderClass</key>
    <string>IOGraphics</string> (it was IOFramebuffer)

3. reboot

my notebook display works fine after that withou any error. Resolution 1280x768 (widescreen).

Now I have to fingure out my NIC (Realtech) and wireless connection, lemme know if you guys know a good solution for that.

Cheers!

That's a great hack! Thanks for sharing it with is.

Most of them.

The only ones (i think) that people said worked were those with advanced settings in the bios, reported on an asus laptop.

Thing is, it isn't just for qe/cg to work, just to BOOT at all! otherwise, we just get a blue screen.

-Urby

mine did work great using 10.4.3 beta... but now i've installed 10.4.5, install worked fine but i can't manage to boot anymore. and i don't have an external display anymore so i can't follow my *own* tutorial i wrote before! (see a few pages earlier)

i'll let you know if i get it with 10.4.5.

joep

Well, mugan's trick on page 22 does work for me. I need to press FN-F5 exactly 6 times during startup, but it always work. But neither Quartz Extreme nor CoreImage work :'(

And i broke something trying to install FrontRow... i guess it needs CoreImage, now, many System Preferences just crash, so do Quicktime Player or VLC... damned!!! gotta fix it!

Still looking for a "no-dongle" solution for me. I did it using 10.4.3, so i think i'll manage to do the same with 10.4.5, eventually!

Guest goodtime
New macbook comes with GMA950!!

Could we expect software solution soon, for our 'popular problem' :) ?

Chances are you 950 drivers may be for EFI only.

uh? i don't understand this last reply...

i think the release of 950-based laptop could help us. now we need to get those drivers to try...

i personnaly think i'll wait september to buy my MacBook. my 15" powerbook is enough for now and i'll go on testing compatibility with my girlfriend's GMA900-based laptop.