[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Ok, i managed to get CI and QE running doing the following steps:

[*]Do not install JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg during maininstall of the OS

[*]Install this from the installdisc after the main installation.

Can you tell me what "this" is in the 2nd step??

I have Acer Aspire 3620 and have the corruption problem. Also the Fn-F5 (External/Internal) doesn't do anything

Hi!

I've been a very long time out of the scene and today installed 10.4.8 (PPF1/2 and Semthex kernel). To my surprise, I dind't have to do the dongle trick either to install or start the system. My question is: do you happen to know if I will need the dongle trick once I apply one of the two posted fixes for QE nd CI?

Intel GMA 915 on Toshiba L20-101.

Thank you!

Hi!

I've been a very long time out of the scene and today installed 10.4.8 (PPF1/2 and Semthex kernel). To my surprise, I dind't have to do the dongle trick either to install or start the system. My question is: do you happen to know if I will need the dongle trick once I apply one of the two posted fixes for QE nd CI?

Intel GMA 915 on Toshiba L20-101.

Thank you!

Unfortunatly the answer is yes...

@DiaboliK: Does the GMA900 fix on your site whom's URL was in the topic header of #Natit include fixing the need for the external monitor to get past the blue screen/no mouse part? I installed it on my Acer Aspire 3613LCi last night which has a 910 series 915xx in it and got QE/CI working, and had one good reboot without the external monitor, everyone since has been a failure needing the monitor again. I did try modifying various Info.plist's for 915.kext, gma950.kext, 830, intergrated-frame-buffer, and intergrated-graphics. Nothing hardcore, just adding my dev-id to pcimatch where either nothing or something ought to have been I felt.

Anyone here got a list of what files in /System/Library/Extensions are actualy required for CI/QE and External Mon. fix? Just so I can filter out the garbage blocking the fix easier! Thanks!

Well situtaion is like this, First

i have hp nx 6110, Gma 900 1.6 Donath Pentium M 1 gb RAM... evrything is working perfect, even intel pro 2200 wireless, (IWI). I have istalled gma Diabolik patch. I got QE CI .... with a paper clip working on 10.4.9 semthex leatest sse2 kernel, may 2007.

Problem is i cant play any DVD in DVD player, player starts i hear sound, but there is no video, even other player like chroma can not play. Mplayer or VLC player can but thay are full of bugs, crash evry two seconds.

I wos thinking maybe DVD framework, can not work with with gma opengl framwork that diabolik rip of from 10.4.5..... i dont know

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just installed the GMA900 fix from Diabolik and it works great and all. One thing I noticed it changed was the grey loading screen and replaced it with a more intimidating black console. The same when it's shutting down. Anyone know how I can get it back? Thanks.

You have to edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file so that there is a line in it that says:

<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>

@DiaboliK: Does the GMA900 fix on your site whom's URL was in the topic header of #Natit include fixing the need for the external monitor to get past the blue screen/no mouse part? I installed it on my Acer Aspire 3613LCi last night which has a 910 series 915xx in it and got QE/CI working, and had one good reboot without the external monitor, everyone since has been a failure needing the monitor again. I did try modifying various Info.plist's for 915.kext, gma950.kext, 830, intergrated-frame-buffer, and intergrated-graphics. Nothing hardcore, just adding my dev-id to pcimatch where either nothing or something ought to have been I felt.

Anyone here got a list of what files in /System/Library/Extensions are actualy required for CI/QE and External Mon. fix? Just so I can filter out the garbage blocking the fix easier! Thanks!

you need the paperclip trick for the internal monitor to work. (you might need to intall that way, or delete the windowserver.plists then reboot)

Hey, I just installed the GMA900 fix from Diabolik and it works great and all. One thing I noticed it changed was the grey loading screen and replaced it with a more intimidating black console. The same when it's shutting down. Anyone know how I can get it back? Thanks.

in the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

remove the -v from Kernel flags , save file then repair permissions and all will be grey apple screen during boot

-DiaboliK

Hi all,

I've been reading this topics for some days now, but just can't figure out what I exactly have to do.

I've installed MacOsx86 with the 10.4.8 Jass dvd on a partion on an IBM T43 (type 1871)

Moederbord: CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M 750, 1866 MHz (14 x 133)

Moederbordnaam IBM ThinkPad T43

Moederbord Chipset Mobile Intel Alviso-G i915GM

Systeemgeheugen 1526 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)

BIOS Type Phoenix (11/30/06)

Communicatiepoort Communications Port (COM1)

Communicatiepoort Printer Port (LPT1)

Scherm: Video kaart Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,

910GML Express Chipset Family (128 MB)

Video kaart Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,

910GML Express Chipset Family (128 MB) 3D-Versneller Intel GMA 900

Monitor Generic Television Monitor

Generic Television Monitor IBM ThinkPad 1024x768 TFT LCD (12003)

Monitor IBM ThinkPad 1024x768 TFT LCD (12003)

My graphics are working with the paperclip tric and the resolution is 1024x768. Is it possible to get a higher resolution or is it the maximum for me and does it have any use to apply the Diabolix fix?

Thx alot!

Grtz

Reading this thread I finally made my amilo pro notebook running mac os x so smoooth!

Thank you all very much!

Thanks to the paper clip trick I can use the internal monitor of the nootebook, and on System Profiler it says I have two monitors, both of them online. I am curious about if this affects the system performance. Does anybody know?

Hey you guys. I finally managed to get my QE to work.

I used this method: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/iGMA.html

It works flawlessly, but the only thing that bothers me are those paperclips in my VGA. Is there any other solution I might try to avoid this.

In the beginning of this thread there are some instruction how to make it work....but don't work with me.

I would really appreciate all the help. Thanks

My 915GM worked right out of the box with QE and CI (10.4.3). However - what is the most relevant way for me to get my internal monitor working?

Will the paperclip trick just work fine - If it will, how exactly do I 'do' it, I mean, I've seen the photos but is there anything more to it than just booting OS X (-F switch maybe?)

Any help would be appreciated, because I'm using such an old version I'm not sure which methods work and won't worK :), I don't want to try and mess anything up.

hello want to get the GMA900 QE & CI working or a good pci-e card that will work with little work to ge it to have QE & CI.

motherboard: Intel D915GAG

CPU: intel p4 3.6GHZ

Sound: creative 128 pci(tried onboard but would not work on osx or windows)

RAM: 1gb DDR

Hard disk: 80gb

DVD/CD rom: samsung dvdrw dl

monitor: external

pc: desktop

This is what i have done so far! ;)

tried Andy4life guide and you get blue screen with large blocks moving round, this is after the grey bootscreen.

and there are no values in the kext that meet the info required. or AppleIntel830.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext.

tried copying the kext from 10.4.6 dvd made by myzar and still nothing, yet it works ok if install just 10.4.6 by myzar, all video and QE & CI work. get full res too.

tried copying kext from 10.4.4 dvd to installed 10.4.8 JaS still same no QE & CI

tried upgrade, tried installing 10.4.8 JaS without GMA915, still same no QE & CI.

In the 10.4.6, there are no ref: to GMA950, just 915, and all works ok, so took out all ref: GMA950 from 10.4.8 and installed 915 from the working 10.4.6 still same no QE & CI.

tried the diabolik patch and you get kernel panic,

also tried

1. Do not install JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg during maininstall of the OS

2. Install this from the installdisc after the main installation.

Remove following files:

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

Then do:

CODE

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

get black screen with yellow bar across top and then blue screen.

i have tried xfx 7600gs 512mb pci-e card this works in 10.4.6 but no QE & CI, and only reads 256mb, but on upgrade or new install of later osx no display.

so where to go from here? :rolleyes:

any help would be good, :police:

Don't want to go back to my imac with 400mhz cpu, 40gb hard disk 512mb ram as is a bit slow. nice to use to say got it out of a skip. and in perfect condition, had to buy keyboard and mouse to match and, orignal osx tiger 10.4.6 as it only had os9 on, upgraded hard disk from 10gb to 40gb and ram from 64mb to 512mb,flashed new firmware to run new stuff, the osx 10.4.6 tiger runs ok bit slow, so installed panther thats fast on it.

not sure if this has been addressed anywhere else yet, if so pls direct me. Seens to me that I have installed Jas 10.4.8 intel enough on my Dell Inspiron 2200 to notice that the boots fine without the paperclip while installing. After intaller finishes and reboots, then hangs without paperclip or external. Anyone know why?

hello want to get the GMA900 QE & CI working or a good pci-e card that will work with little work to ge it to have QE & CI.

motherboard: Intel D915GAG

CPU: intel p4 3.6GHZ

Sound: creative 128 pci(tried onboard but would not work on osx or windows)

RAM: 1gb DDR

Hard disk: 80gb

DVD/CD rom: samsung dvdrw dl

monitor: external

pc: desktop

This is what i have done so far! :thumbsdown_anim:

tried Andy4life guide and you get blue screen with large blocks moving round, this is after the grey bootscreen.

and there are no values in the kext that meet the info required. or AppleIntel830.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext.

tried copying the kext from 10.4.6 dvd made by myzar and still nothing, yet it works ok if install just 10.4.6 by myzar, all video and QE & CI work. get full res too.

tried copying kext from 10.4.4 dvd to installed 10.4.8 JaS still same no QE & CI

tried upgrade, tried installing 10.4.8 JaS without GMA915, still same no QE & CI.

In the 10.4.6, there are no ref: to GMA950, just 915, and all works ok, so took out all ref: GMA950 from 10.4.8 and installed 915 from the working 10.4.6 still same no QE & CI.

tried the diabolik patch and you get kernel panic,

also tried

1. Do not install JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg during maininstall of the OS

2. Install this from the installdisc after the main installation.

Remove following files:

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

* /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

Then do:

CODE

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

get black screen with yellow bar across top and then blue screen.

i have tried xfx 7600gs 512mb pci-e card this works in 10.4.6 but no QE & CI, and only reads 256mb, but on upgrade or new install of later osx no display.

so where to go from here? :thumbsup_anim:

any help would be good, :D

Don't want to go back to my imac with 400mhz cpu, 40gb hard disk 512mb ram as is a bit slow. nice to use to say got it out of a skip. and in perfect condition, had to buy keyboard and mouse to match and, orignal osx tiger 10.4.6 as it only had os9 on, upgraded hard disk from 10gb to 40gb and ram from 64mb to 512mb,flashed new firmware to run new stuff, the osx 10.4.6 tiger runs ok bit slow, so installed panther thats fast on it.

So, I am trying to throw together a simple box for a friend at work, and came across this same problem.

After some playing about, I found a major issue. The gma900 installer in the installdisk Jas 10.4.8 does NOT install the OpenGL.framworks. You need to do this:

Go to the jas.10.4.8.GMA900.support.pkg install file (on install dvd at /system/Intallation/packages), right click on it and goto show file contents. Go into Contents. There will be a archive.pax.gz (or similarily named). You need to unzip this file to your desktop. (double lick it and it will auto unzip to desktop).

Goto terminal

Do a sudo -s

cd /Users/yourname/Desktop/Archive/Frameworks

cp -r OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/

cd /Users/yourmname/Desktop/Archive/Extensions

cp -r AppleIntel* /System/Library/Extentions/

On both replace any files it wants to overwrite.

chmod -R 755 AppleIntel*

chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel*

then open diskutil and do a repair permissions. This should repair the OpenGL.framework.

After all that is done, DELETE any AppleIntelGMA files, and the AppleIntelIntegrated anything. Reboot... whala!

• 2 weeks later...
My 915GM worked right out of the box with QE and CI (10.4.3). However - what is the most relevant way for me to get my internal monitor working?

Will the paperclip trick just work fine - If it will, how exactly do I 'do' it, I mean, I've seen the photos but is there anything more to it than just booting OS X (-F switch maybe?)

Any help would be appreciated, because I'm using such an old version I'm not sure which methods work and won't worK ;), I don't want to try and mess anything up.

Hey you guys. I finally managed to get my QE to work.

I used this method: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/iGMA.html

It works flawlessly, but the only thing that bothers me are those paperclips in my VGA. Is there any other solution I might try to avoid this.

In the beginning of this thread there are some instruction how to make it work....but don't work with me.

I would really appreciate all the help. Thanks

Right now there doesn't seem to be a proper working fix for the GMA.. However, there is a way of avoiding using the papeclip trick, which i'm quite afraid of using since it could easily short circuit big time and mess up the port if not the laptop..

So, the trick i do is to constantly keep changing the display as OS X is booting (i.e. at the grey boot screen using "fn-f4") especially when you hear a little noise during bootup, just keep hitting the monitor change button and if you're lucky it should boot up without the need of a VGA cable. You may need to keep trying to get it right, but as long as you keep doing it before the blue screen appears you should manage...

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Regarding the Fn+ whatever monitor switch on laptops. All you have to do is to make sure you hit it before the boot process transit from grey boot logo to the desktop's blue screen. I do it when i first see the blue screen at an instant and i will hit Fn + F5 on my toshiba laptop, 3 times; which is, LCD+External, External, LCD.

Hope it helps.

Matthew

• 1 month later...

Newbie MacOSX86 user here :rolleyes:

I installed JaS's 10.4.8 dvd, with lots of combinations, trying to get my 915GM working (2592). This is what I've done so far:

- Installed DVD as usual, choosing the 900 support in the installation options. This yielded the dreaded blue screen.

- Installed DVD without the support, and it worked (1024x768). I didn't get 1280x800 or any QE/CI support, of course. I then installed the 900 support pkg from the DVD and rebooted. This didn't do anything to the display settings, and it gave me an error saying that AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramework.kext (or something like that) were not properly installed. I did chown and wheel both files, rebooted and got the same message. Went into disc utility and repaired permissions, rebooted, and got the blue screen again.

I haven't tried Diabolik's patch because I don't know how to go about applying it...

As for the very first solution posted in this thread, I couldn't try it because I couldn't find any file that had reference to 2582 in it =(

Thanks!

Apu

Diabolik's patch is just a package.. Install it and then reboot and you should get QI/CE.. Works great one my HP dv1000...

Google "Diabolik's Helpful Files" for his patch ;)

Anybody got Speedstep to work properly by any chance?

The page says I need to use the paperclip trick though... is there any way I can get it running without it? So far the only way I've been able to do it is by not installing the GMA900 package and sticking with 1024x768 :)