[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

I am no expert, but a possible way to fool your video bios is to wire pin 1 to pin 6 and pin 2 to pin 12 (Check the web for a pinout diagram--they are all over the place)

As a test this can be done on the female plug on your laptop using two thin flexible pieces of wire. It then might make sense to modify a 15 pin male plug from radio shack to have on hand for this purpose. Although not strictly necessary, using two low value resistors to bridge the pins is probably not a bad idea.

Good luck.

Working Solution

When you boot with the modified 915 kext files and you get blue boot screen. Try this:

I boot with -f swith. As soon MAC Gray screen disapears and you see blue screen press [Output Display Change key] on your notebook. It is usually Fn key + F4 key and wait. Don't press it two times.

I have hp/compaq nx6110 notebook. It is working with all QE and QI supported. I have also working Wireless LAN. No crashes at all.

For Wireless LAN to work you need to copy modified Airport2 kext files found on this forum.

Good Luck and Happy Christmas

Asim

Working Solution

When you boot with the modified 915 kext files and you get blue boot screen. Try this:

I boot with -f swith. As soon MAC Gray screen disapears and you see blue screen press [Output Display Change key] on your notebook. It is usually Fn key + F4 key and wait. Don't press it two times.

I have hp/compaq nx6110 notebook. It is working with all QE and QI supported. I have also working Wireless LAN. No crashes at all.

For Wireless LAN to work you need to copy modified Airport2 kext files found on this forum.

Good Luck and Happy Christmas

Asim

You say you have an nx6000. Do you have any features in your bios about the graphics?

How did you follow the tutorial?

Also, what wireless card do you have? And shouldn't you have Ati graphics?

--urby

*sigh*

merry christmas, but i dont think this will ever get going.

we need coders, programers. Where the heck is maxxuss?!?

hopefully we'll see some drivers with the new intel macs.

-Urby

maybe this is usefull?

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D...hello_kext.html

i killed my hfs partition yesterday so i can't try anything, but i'll take a look at it later.

Would it be possible to decompile a kext? Anyone know?

I could have a look at it, although xml isn't really my thing.

I was thinking, if we could decompile it, we could look for possible boot up instructions or memory mappings. Or maybe parts of the driver that look for bios options...

So even though i probably couldn't go that far with it, I'll nonetheless ask,

can ANYONE point a brother in the direction to decompile a kext?

-Urby

Thank JoeP!!! I owe you one big time! The blue screen was killing me on my Toshiba Satelite M70, its now working and i'm always booting without blue screen now!

THanks again, great tip for toshiba users i guess!

edit: hmmm i just missed once and got blue screen, I guess its not 100% but a helluva lot better than always blue screen :D

did you notice any mistake in my tutorial? at least we know it works for toshiba laptops, now... thanks a lot for replying to this topic, ironblood!

by the way, happy new year! :-P

hi.

me, i've a toshiba satellite M40X-112 and JoeP's tutorial does not work :(. well, up to step 14 it works fine, but when i boot without the external monitor, i get the same situation as before: the bluescreen in widescreen resolution. any hints??? thx!!!

Edited by chrisc

hi.

me, i've a toshiba satellite M40X-112 and JoeP's tutorial does not work :). well, up to step 14 it works fine, but when i boot without the external monitor, i get the same situation as before: the bluescreen in widescreen resolution. any hints??? thx!!!

well...

first of all, chrisc, did every step before step 14 go fine?

maybe you should try and make things backwards... i mean skip steps 14, 15 and 16, and go on with step 17... and try steps 14/15/16 later in the process... or maybe try more FN-F5 tricks, in another way...

be careful if you have valuable data on you OSX86 box, i have no idea what would happen (even if a simple re-install should repair everything anyway)

6. Done.

7. No need. Two reboots will do the trick. Done.

8. Done. Large desktop :(

9. I was there. Done.

10. Done.*

11. Done. Even with a hurting-eyes refresh rate on my old CRT.

12. Done.

13. Done. Settings are kept both upon reboot and upon shutdown.

14. Done. Shutdown, disconnected both power cord (just in case) and VGA -and no battery connected, fired up the laptop, changed settings in BIOS (Power On Display set to auto), saved changes two times, shutdown, disconnect of power cord, reconnected it after 1 minute, fired up, checked settings in BIOS are kept, shutdown. Firing up...

15. Failed. Blue screen.

This is on a Toshiba Satellite L20-101, with Phoenix BIOS (latest from Toshiba.com).

Fn+F5 method didn't do the trick. About Step 10, I'll check if it works leaving the LCD on the wrong side. Also will try setting the lower resolution rates.

Guys I'm just about fed up with the 16 pages of ranting and sometimes working solutions in this thread.

We've all had our taste of QE or CI and sometimes both. We all know how sweet it is to run OS X the way it was meant to be run, without any graphical hinderances. And many of us have set this up as our primary OS...for movie viewing, graphic work, and yes, even digital move editing. Yet we are still plagued by this ridiculous problem: having the right card but the wrong screen.

To everyone that has contributed with your ideas, suggestions, and potential fixes, I thank you dearly.

To everyone that hasn't been able to successfully apply any of the aforementioned fixes, I propose we step this up a little bit and start a pool for an offerring to Maxxuss or anyone else that can fix this problem, payable upon receipt of a proper working solution.

I'm going to start it off with a modest $15 dollars. Who's with me?

Edited by suleiman

Hello,

I´m my case, my notebook start allways.

Asus AE3 Centrino Dothan 1.5 (PAE, SS2, XD)

Intel915, etc...

Originally, in extensions dir, there is only 4 kext (915, 915GA, 915GLDriverbundel and Integratedbuffer), I have edit all plist looking for 25xx and change to 2592 and add 830GA and 830GLdriverbundle edited too, and now, my macosx allways start (no blue screen) but with an error about extensions.

iTunes and some others don´t work :)

Maybe if somebody have any VESA 2.0 or 3.0 standart kext we can investigate for use it...

Best regards.

i been following this thread... because i want also to know how to do this on lcd alone on my acer travelmate 2410.. with gma 900 on board with bios enable/disable lcd-video switch... until now i read the only noob solution is the dummy s-video resistor thing and my lappy has no s-video... anyone else ???? using with with 8f1111a.. with ci/qt enanbled out of the box, sound oki, lan oki... wifi...seems not oki