[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

In response to the GMA 900 problem with build 8f1111a/g, i followed instructions I read somewhere to boot with my aperture set to 256mb in BIOS and it has booted consistently since. The only other modification I have made since the install was made was to patch to kernel from the default to the SSE3 non-x kernel. Otherwise, this is exactly how it came off the DVD using JaS' 4.2b patch. I guess this depends on your BIOS options, but it worked for me and should work for all using the AsRock P4DUAL-915GL board.

with your aperture set to 256 megabytes?

First, are you on a desktop or a notebook PC? This thread is for notebook PC users.

Second, your bios has the option for "aperature." Do you mean the framebuffer or video ram size?

i resolved now using the vga 15 pins dummy... i digged deep in these thread and somebody post connect pin 1 to 6 and 2 to 12 by a 75-100 ohm resistor.... use the hibranate trick to transfer the main monitor to the lcd monitor.... make the lcd as a main monitor and atlas.... everytime i boot 8f1111a/g with the dogle attached and it simply works... thanks.. using it now with my acer travelmate 2410 ci/qe enable... sound oki... wifi... seems not oki.... thanks a lot for the work around... ordering now 1 gig ddr2 400 for best experience

I am sorry. I figured this was both desktop and notebook x86 boxes, i guess I should have read the whole thread. if anyone wants clarification, originally I was getting the freeze at blue screen like some other GMA 900 users have been reporting. I read some tip somewhere and followed the directions telling me to bump aperature to 256mb. Apparently, aperature is the max amount of memory the integrated video card can use ever, even though i have it on dynamic allocation. sorry if this isn't much help to its target audience, but it might help someone.

Vanja, or someone else using the adapter solution: I've been browsing around online and even went to Radio Shack, but no one has heard of an S-video adapter.

Exactly what does this unit convert? If it is S-video to component video then that unit costs roughly 20 dollars not 3 dollars.

Also, if you could let us know where to by the 75-100 ohm resistors?

After much frustration I'm resigning myself to a hardware solution to this problem. With the latest iLife and iWork apps requiring QE to even function, this little issue changed overnight into a production roadblock.

Edited by suleiman

Hi, suleiman.

An s-video adapter is my dummy adapter which - in normal situation - does nothing but faking video card to think TV is connected. And that's perfect for us!!! :offtopic:

You can buy resistor in any electronic shop. I am sure you will find it at least one in your town. I am sure guys in Radio Shack if they don't have it, will be able to tell you where you can find it.

You can try connecting only resistors to see if the thing works - then only solder it inside the s-video case.

Frankly, I am not even looking for software solution since this is pretty simple, not space consuming etc.

I do want to use Intel wireless on OS X though :idea:

vanja, I bought an s-video adapter and *tried* sticking in two 100 ohm resistors in there to see if it worked...I think that I plugged them in right, but I didn't have any success with this method. I really would like to get this one working because the s-video adapter is much smaller and far sleeker than the vga adapter I also bought to test out .

Will try out the vga adapter and let you know my success (or failure)

EDIT: Right...so the vga adapter isn't working, or at least I can't set it up right.

If someone can give me some advice I'd be grateful. I've got a Male to Female Belkin Adapter. I have numbers 1-9 on the female end. Just trying to figure out which 4 of those nine holes are supposed to have resisitors in them.

Edited by suleiman

Don't bother with VGA stuff... As you said-it is bulky.

So you connected one resistor to 1st and 3rd and the other to 2nd and 4th pin as shown on the pic? That MUST work. Guy in the shop told me 100 Ohms is OK too, but i thought 2x75 is more safe.

Don't know, try to experiment with resistance.

(You do not have to reboot to have that it's working. Just check if your OS is displaying that TV is connected - Win, Linux or whatever)

vanja I bought several 100 ohm resisitors from radio shack, and I tried to just "plug" them in to the slots you specified in your earlier post.

I wasn't able to really slot anything in...later tonite I'll try and post pictures of the s-video dummy adapter I purchased from Radio Shack and you can give me your input on what to do with it.

EDIT: I can't believe I was being so *stupid* with this. As I don't have the GMA 900 kexts loaded because I've been running my lappy in OS X without QE and CI, I was sat there like a moron trying to figure out why it couldn't detect my s-video adapter.

Booted into windows (something I seriously haven't done in weeks) and I was able to finally make some use of that OS by seeing that the S-video adapter did indeed fool the OS into thinking a TV was plugged in.

Now I just gotta wait until I have access to an external LCD so I can set this up and life will be sweeet again :)

Edited by suleiman

Hi,

I'm new here and was wondering if anybody could help me out with some infomation. I have been reading all the posts about the Intel 900GML/GMA/GM etc. graphic problems and was wondering if anybody has actually got them to work without use of a hardware dongle? Are people still trying to hack this to get around the external monitor issue?

I also noticed people on the forum claiming that the nx6110 works out of the box, but i wouldn't say that having to plug an external monitor to boot osx working out of the box.

If anybody has got it working on my laptop please can you let me know.

Thanks

HP NX6110

1.4Mhz M Dothan

900GML Intel Graphics

RAM 768MB

10.4.3 Jas 1111a Patch

So far, no software solution for the majority of users with laptops, unless you can set you aperature size of your video memory to 256mb in your BIOS.

However, one thing seems promising. For too long we have been looking at out BIOSes, but i propose something new: EFI.

I'm buring the cd now. This will allow the BIOS to boot to a cd with EFI and then EFI takes over. We can't really look into it much further than that, until 10.4.4 arrives, but it may still offer some workaround or we may find something out! Perhaps there is an option for aperature size?

I will check and post back. Hang in there everyone, with your fingers crossed!!!

-Urby

Urby3, this is the first voice about booting EFI on BIOS computers. I thought that is not possible!! Well, I believe now even more that 10.4.4 is really realistic to run soon on beige-box.

metronet, I believe jackmanfred was asking for out-of-the-box solution. Soldering pins on your laptop (!!!!!!!!) is way far of out-of-the-box category.

Btw, never saw s-video connector with 12 pins.

metronet, I believe jackmanfred was asking for out-of-the-box solution. Soldering pins on your laptop (!!!!!!!!) is way far of out-of-the-box category.

Btw, never saw s-video connector with 12 pins.

sorry my post was a bit misleading i guess, my laptops has a VGA out and to be precise it's a dongle that i had to solder, not directly on the laptop lol

um... i would like to try software solutions of course, if it becomes available that is.

Well there is no "BIOS-setup-like" menu in EFI, and we are going to have to wait until mac os x 10.4.4 to be leaked.

I attached the generic floppy image in case anyone wanted to test out EFI (although there isn't much one can do with it...).

Am i hopeful? Always.

Am i realistic? Maybe, but i do honestly think that, if aperture settings are the cause of all this, it may work. Don't forget: once EFI is loaded, all BIOS traces disappear. If we can say that BIOS is to blame, EFI may correct this. Otherwise, we will have to call on programmer-god-figures! *COUGHMAXXUSSCOUGH*

(BTW, maxxuss has been quiet lately...who knows what he's up to...)

-Urby

BIOS32_1_.IMG.zip

Need a leg-up as all this reading is not helping me ;)

Issue:

PC boots no issue to OSX86 (deadmoo image).

Screen is grey scale and barely navigable.

Mouse appears and disappears.

Internet works (safari) but crashes when accessig certain pages.

Detail:

DELL 2400 Intel 845 something

512MB RAM

P4 266

Comments:

I realise that I need to get kext files onto this system and edit them according to the guides and walk throughs but with the screen being grey-scale and loosing mouse every once in a while makes all the editing / copying of these files really frikken impossible.

Can anyone let me know if there's anyone with similar grey screen issues and how they resolved it?

Before I implode!!

Any help appreciated

I just dont understand that for i have followed all the instructions,But my dell inspiron 6000 doesnt got the intel 915gm graphic card work.(The solution remain at the 10247*768@60 Hz,so my eye will be destroyed after a long time i focus at the screen.)i dont know what had happened just i have modify the all the kext file that are required according to the discussion above.And once i wheel the kext file it just show me the blue screen just after i log in the system , the option -x and -v help nothing at all.so i have to reinstall the osx many many times.

I have try the different versions of mac os x just as 10.4.1 and 10.4.3;None works. The most terrible thing is that after i install the 10.4.3 i lost the multi-boot menu and even worse my harddisk stop responding when the blue screen shows.

Who can help me? But only one way the system will boot up is to use the VMware......It makes no scene to us.

Hello,

I have just installed OSX86 on my Dell Latitude X1 (10.4.3 with JaS-patch 4.2b)

Like all of you I cannot boot without external monitor, but i do not have the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext, instead i have AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext (i do however have the AppleIntel915.kext, but no AppleIntel830.kext)

Why is this and what should i do?

People all over this forum are talking about how they got these files from this forum. Where can i get them?

Edited by fixarvesslan

After soldering pin 1 to 5 and pin 2 to 12 and dragging the white bar to the laptop's LCD as the main screen in order to get rid of the bluescreen, the main desktop is still not apear. It seems that the MacOS will not remember the setting (LCD is the primary)?

Do you have any suggestion?