[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Has anyone here upgraded to the hacked 10.4.3 full DVD? Not the update but the new OS? If you have then please let us know if the graphics work for machines where it did before, or not, and, more importantly, if it works on machines where it didn't work before.

This could be a Godsend.

I'm installing 10.4.3 now on my Dell D410 (Pentium M, SSE2, NX, PAE)

As I predicted, the GMA900 was detected during boot by the new kext with no editing because the plist now contains a device ID mask, as reported in my findings here

This means that when 10.4.3 booted to the install screen, I got the familiar blue screen problem. I plugged in an external monitor and rebooted and now I can see the screen and proceed with the install.

QE and CI is not currently enabled despite the 915 kext being loaded, probably because the .plugin's plist needs to be edited to 2592. I'll do this after the install (it's taking a while). EDIT: Actually I think QE and CI is enabled as I see the intro movie after install.

So, for the moment it seems that the new driver/10.4.3 does not solve our problem. Editing the .plugin plist may help though.

:'( okay...well let us know how it goes man...I'm not wanting to update now because of

1) no wireless

2) no QE/CI

3) no wireless.

P.S. How do you know you've got NX support on that D410 Tak? I've got a D610 and a Pentium M 1.6 ghz, but system profiler only says I have PAE but no NX. Did you pull that information from somewhere?

I can confirm that the Intel GMA900 "bug" is still evident in 10.4.3.

I edited the plugin .plist to 2592 but it didn't make a difference.

Back to the memory theory then!

snapshot200511202130280ux.th.jpg

How do you know you've got NX support on that D410 Tak? I've got a D610 and a Pentium M 1.6 ghz, but system profiler only says I have PAE but no NX. Did you pull that information from somewhere?

It comes up on startup with -v

nxbit1ya.th.jpg

I've got the same chip as you and almost identical motherboard so you definitely have NX/XD and PAE support.

Just went out and bought a ASUS P5GD1-VM Motherboard i915G Chipset. Used a 10.4.3 DVD I made yesterday on my Pentium D box, booted up successfully and installed, no hacking or editing, Sound/Video/ATA all working. For those who want a easily supported box it's very cheap.

thanks for the tip jbettcher, I'd be all over that except that I need a laptop solution myself. But for other users it may be the light at the end of the tunnel.

On a more relevant note: did anyone ask the Dell Inspiron 6000 users how in the hell they got QE and CI working on THEIR machines? We need to dig in as deep as possible down that end I think, and find out what their memory readouts are, and what, if any, bios options they have for their video.

I'm out.

Hi people!

I've been trying to install 10.4.3 from latest DMG->ISO patched with Maxxuss work on a Toshiba M40X-141 laptop (i910 or i915, i don't remember). Until now, i've had nothing but a blue screen without mouse, so i can't even get into the install process. I've tried to plug an external display, same stuff. I still have to try different BIOS option and FN-F8 things.

I had to go to the BIOS to activate NX, it was disabled by default and the installation crashed a few seconds after the beginning of the grey screen.

By the way, the grey apple loading screen lasts about 10 minutes everytime, so it's very long to try different option. I'm installing from a DVD-RW in the laptop's internal DVD burner. Does this long time sound strange to you?

I don't get why do people install 10.4.3 when there are no advantages except you have latest version....

I use 10.4.1+10.4.3 update and waiting for wireless and 900 gma solution. Until then, I am sticking with this.

There's one big advantage: working ATI drivers.

OK, which we don't care since we (people in this topic) have i900 things... i see now. Thanx!

[edit]

tried a few things last night, i managed to get correct display one time. most times, i had a display but it was very distorted and the mouse didn't click at the good place!

I'm curious...has anyone found out which part of the kexts is resposible for video memory allocation?

If we find that, couldn't we maybe edit it?

Or, at boot in darwin, is there something we can do to get more video memory?

Just so i have a clear answer, what changes with the memory or drivers when the external monitor is plugged? And when it isnt?

well i think we should start analysing just WHAT makes it the second display, or how to enable it booting with a secondary display, maybe. We need people who can code, who can tell us these things. Anyone here know how to program?

so far we haven't been able to disprove the memory theory. All we have to do to prove/disprove that one is talk to Inspiron 6000 users who HAVE managed tto get their GMA 900 working with QE/CI on their laptops and ask them what their memory read outs are when they boot up.

I still disagree that memory allocation is the problem with i915gm.....

What and where is the evidence that points to that??

I think its the setup recognizing internal displays (LCDs) as the secondary display.................

I think memory is a key issue. Laptops aside, my desktop configuration (intel 865g) experiences the same issue. So plugging in an external monitor isn't an option here. My biggest support for the theory is the booting into windows and then into osx for success. It's been the only way I can successfully boot osx when using the accelerated intel graphics plugins. There are many factors involved when considering the boot, but the memory issues seem to be the most obvious ones. I hope we can find a solution to this problem.

On another note, is the general consensus then that OS 10.4.3 is a waste of time? I'd rather not waste all the bandwidth.

people that are using hardware dongles are "spoofing the system" as you put it, but they aren't using a software-only implementation, if that's what you mean.

With regards to people curious about whether the memory is a key factor, has anyone tried flashing their bios on their laptops with a different make/model laptop with different video ram tuning options to see if that works?

I, like many of the others that have been here since the start of this problem, would really like to see a pin-pointable problem here. Afterall, how can u fix it when you don't know what's broke.

One thing I will say, I pm'ed Maxxuss some time ago, before he got busy patching every Apple release worth running :(, and asked him to look into this problem. He started checking it out for us and in the preliminary stuff I sent over to him he told me that the amount of video ram initialized by the 915 kexts wasn't enough to run QE and CI on a machine. Unfortunately things got busy and that's about as far as it went, but yeah...lends meat to the memory theory.

Anyways....daybreak already and i haven't closed my eyes yet!