[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

YASDA (Yet Another S-Video Dummy Adapter)

I own a Toshiba Satellite L20-101 with VGA and S-Video outs. I got a connecteor from S-Video to female jack connector (the yellow one). Additionaly, I had at home a male jack-male jack cable (yes, yellow connectors). I did something tricky, but hey! It works! Perhaps it could help somebody:

1.- Connect the S-Video to the laptop and insert the yellow jack into headphones line out or microphone/line in. Yes, I'm not joking! In case your laptop hasn't got any of them, you can hold the jack against the connection between S-Video-FemaleYellowJack and jack-jack cable, making sure it makes contact with the metal.

2.- Boot laptop with -f -x options.

3.- In System Preferences -> Screens, your laptop should be left and the one with the upper bar. Click the "Merge Windows" - i'm not sure it's "merge", I'm translating from Spanish. Change the second screen resolution to PAL 1024x768@50Hz - it doesn't mind your country doesn't use PAL since you are not connecting to any TV (just what worked for me), and check "Overscan" in the Options tab.

4.- Reboot with same options and play around a little with your OS X.

5.- Do normal reboot.

You should have upper bar at your LCD screen, and now you can disconnect dummy.

You can try to jump over these steps, but I couldn't get upper bar at LCD until I followed them - well, actually they are the synthesis of my experiments :happymac:

This solution is OK if you have the cables and you don't feel like it to play with solderers and resistors.

I hope this will work for someone and that you understood my English.

Hi! I have the same problem, here's my information according to "everest ultimate edition 2006" information tool:

Toshiba Satellite L20-101 (Centrino)

Intel 915GM/GMS,910ML Express Chipset Family (128 MB)

3D Accelerator: Intel GMA 900

Max resolution supported: 1024x768

I installed 10.4.1 a few months ago and everything worked very fine (except the intel pro wireless IPW2200BG). Absolutely NO problems with the laptop monitor! :D

Now, the disaster: I decided to install 10.4.3 and......very bad choice! I've got the blue screen booting from the DVD to make the installation. I read here that the problem was solved connecting an external monitor, so I did it and it worked for me also. I installed 10.4.3 with no problems (except that required the f***ing external monitor).

Now I have to use osx in the external monitor! If I don't plug it, a blue screen without mouse appears in the laptop monitor.

I tried EVERYTHING in this post and nothing worked for me, I think I will re-install 10.4.1 :D

Any final and definitive trick?

Thanks for all the help!

(Sorry for my bad english! I'm spanish)

Does that "everything" include s-video dummy adapter (Luzbel's solution or mine)?

That MUST work :hysterical:

As I said already in my post about s-video dummy, you DO NOT have to solder anything. Just go out and buy 2 resistor and plug them in s-video. If you don't move your laptop too often (what happened to me this month) you are all set. Soldering the resistors inside s-video connector is just making solution more mobile.

"Everything" includes all the "software solutions". I can't understand why it's so difficult to solve this problem :hysterical:

10.4.1 Worked, why 10.4.3 not? I think it's just bad kext files or something that need a nice patch.

Your s-video trick is cool, but I prefer to wait a more "elegant solution", like a software patch, avoiding to plug resistors, buying cables or solding something.

Thanks for all the work!

I understand, Murdock.

I gave up of software solutions as I saw it is not working. I assume you were the lucky one to have your 900 working in 10.4.1. Wouldn't be surprised though if on your new instalation of 10.4.1. you end up with your 900 not working. I found OS X very "pickish" on hardware so... good luck :D

BTW, 900 GMA does work on 10.4.1. without plugging external screen even for me, but without acceleration.

I was pretty bummed too but then I found that the hardware solution really isn't that bad. I just striped out two pieces of copper wire about 1 cm each and stuck it into the 4 holes on the VGA port, no soldering or anything and it works perfectly.

To everyone confused about GMA900 "working" in 10.4.1 but not in 10.4.3, you need to understand some background:

The GMA900 comes in two models, the desktop brand and the notebook brand. The desktop brand has a device ID of 2582, and it worked out of the box in 10.4.1 and 10.4.3, because that was the video card used on the intel developer machines.

Users who had laptops tried to get their notebook versions of GMA900 to work on 10.4.1 by editing the device ID in the plist from 2582 to 2592. On some machines this worked like a charm. On other machines it worked, but only after booting into windows first and then rebooting into OS X (warm reboot). And then for everyone else the result was very much what many of you are now very familiar with: the blue screen of death.

Users that did nothing to their OS X installation (meaning they didn't edit the plist file to 2592 from 2582) basically had no video accelleration on their machines, because the graphics card driver did not locate their hardware and subsequently did not load. What appeared to be "working" graphics accelleration in 10.4.1 was actually OS X running in VESA mode.

Now, in the 10.4.3 release Apple decided to change the plist from 2582 to 0000, which had the effect of the driver loading for BOTH the desktop AND notebook GMA900 models. What this resulted in was our OS X installations "finding" our GMA900 graphics cards, and attempting to load them to install the software. This meant that if we wanted our notebook machines to run at all we'd have to either delete the graphics card drivers or find a hardware solution, as many on this forum, including me, have now done.

I hope this cleared up everything for everyone. If you have any more questions of course, feel free to post. :P

hi i just download the kext files you proveded but wheni tried to move them to the extensions foler

i got the following

" The items could not be moved because "Extensions" cannot be modifed"

How can i get around this I am relatively a noob at all of this and have gotten so far as to actually have this osx86 installed on my INSPIRON 1200

any help in resloving this from anybody would be greatly appreciated thanks

:offtopic:

Suleiman, very well done summary of this topic (at this moment 18 pages!!!!).

Blazingangel, I believe you can click on Authenticate and type in your password. Besides that, you have to chmod and root the kext(s).

Peace!

the next weeks may very well be crucial to the gma900 working properly with mac os x.

The community is working very quickly to crack 10.4.4 and get around the likes of EFI, TPM, and sse3/rosetta stuff.

If speculation is to be believed, graphics cards will probably rely on EFI and therefore the logical evolution of getting mac os x x86 working properly without dummy adapters and soldering and external monitors.

Finally, i urge you all to go out there and obtain the 10.4.4 dvd with our favorite OS on it! Once cracks are released, we will probably be able to update this dvd and install it. Then, we need to test and try out different solutions to any new or reoccuring problems, if any.

one more time: GO OUT AND GET 10.4.4!!!

thanks alot guys ive been following this entire thread, read it all took me 2 days back and forth lol,

Im relativly a n00b at all of this but if i do come accross anything i will post it immediately, i read earlier on that a software based soloution is what we should be looking for and i agree, something to force the laptops lcd as the main display, I'll do some scouring on the net wich im good at ill keep u guys updated on what i do come accross untill then, guess were stuck

Ok here's what i got after i did Andy4life's guide

sorry dont know how to screen shot on the mac and save it as a image so i had to type

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900:

Chipset Model GMA 900

Type: Vga-Compatible Controller

Bus : Built in

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID 0x2592

Revision ID 0x0003

Displays:

Resoution: 1024 x 768 60 hz

Depth 32- bit color

Main display yes

Mirror off

Online Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

DELL E171FPb

Resloution 1024 x 768 @ 75hz

Depth 32- bit color

Core Image: supported

Mirror Off

Online Yes

Quartz Extere Supported

This is what i got during the external monitor boot, but after i restarted i got the blue screen same as anybody else i made a post b4 this about something i found that im not 100% not a clue how to install it yet cuz something went wacky with the site

"There seems to have been a problem with the database.

Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

Thats what i kept getting so im like exscuse me lol :D someboy goofed but yeah not sure where this will take me but im no genuis but i hope i can help

bbblazing angel, the guide that you followed on the win2osx.net site is the same guide that has been posted at the start of this thread. It works for some people and it doesn't work for others.

You are one of the people that it doesn't work for (without an external monitor)

Right now the only known solution for this problem is a hardware adapter hack. If you don't feel comfortable doing that (as I did earlier), then you might want to wait until 10.4.4 comes out, as it *may* provide a solution to this problem. Stay tuned for more news.

These are very good news Urby3!!! :)

Any info about what dvd image we should download? I can't find anything!

Thanks

coughpiratecoughbaycoughsearchcough10cough.4cough.4cough

Hello! I've got me a dell xps m140 notebook with the intel 915gm chipset and gma900 graphics hurray /sarcasm I managed to get my external monitor and built in lcd working in tandem and went and made a mistake that I'm hoping somebody can give me the fix. I went into arrangement and somehow set it up so both screens mirrored the secondary display.. kind of stupid that it's an option but whatever I accidentally set it like that. so the question is how do I reset the default display settings without reinstalling? I'm so tired of reinstalling! I can still boot using the external monitor only (with lcd disabled) and it's set as the primary monitor however without a second monitor the arrangement tab is gone... sort of a strange design if you ask me

so to sum up how do I reset the display settings?

I'm a mac os noob, I did a search and came up blank

I'm making an svideo cable tomarrow so I can get this baby working at least a little bit. Has there been any news on wether 10.4.4 comes with nice shiney new kexts and if we may be able to transplant them yet? Perhaps somebody can extract the files somehow and test it out or maybe we can find a nice person with an actual intel mac who would upload the files for testing... It would be awesome if we could get ourselves a software based solution to this problem

the problem I was having was I somehow set my displays up to mirror the secondary display and had no way to turn off mirroring. I Reinstalled and all was better. I rigged up an svideo adapter today and am now dual booting macos and windows with no external monitor required! hurrah

next step is getting wifi and audio working, then it would be perfect

the problem I was having was I somehow set my displays up to mirror the secondary display and had no way to turn off mirroring. I Reinstalled and all was better. I rigged up an svideo adapter today and am now dual booting macos and windows with no external monitor required! hurrah

next step is getting wifi and audio working, then it would be perfect

Trick for setting down mirroring: connect svideo, or vga dumb conector, (get off external monitor) and click on autodetect monitor in setup.

I have nx6110, when I start with external Relisis monitor it set up that external monitor as primary monitor, and if I put there VGA dumb conector it set up my laptop LCD as primary monitor after restart.

bye