[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

ahh...i see. Well thanks for that tip. I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's worth my while to go with that or to order a headless mac adapter from online, or if I should just hop on over to radio shack and do what you suggested. Of course, I'm concerned with letting my patience get the better of me and rushing over to radio shack, when I know the headless mac adapter is the better solution.

Really though, none of this is a great solution. We need to get Maxxuss to help code a software solution for us.

On a final note, maybe it's high hopes, but perhaps the 10.4.3 update will bring good tidings?

already got 10.4.3 setup. I'm doubtfull there will be any changes to be honest, but someone in the updates topic did post that they were able to enter sleep mode on their 855 card, so something has been altered in the Graphics Realm

Did you try just deleting AppleIntel830.kext from the extensions folder? or is it saying it is missing? if so, try adding a dummy file.

I just tried to delete the file and after rebooting several times, all I got was the blue screen. I then rebooted in -s mode; mv'd the file backto the system/library/extension folder, and upon rebooting, it's working again great, abiet the stupid error message.

10.4.3 UPDATE:

Okay guys, to update you with news that I'm sure must be coming after a string of successive dissapointments, the 10.4.3 update does not help us, by all indications it HURTS US!

Here's what I did:

1. The usual process, moved the right kext files into my extensions directory and ran disk utility to repair permissions

2. On boot, this is where fireworks started going off. The "You must reboot or Shutdown" message came up which obviously halted everything. No blue screen, no nothing, just that Shutdown message.

3. I checked booting and rebooting multiple times, since sometimes OS X seems to need time to get used to new hardware configurations, still no go.

4. I tried booting with -v -x flags, this got me into the OS but as many of you may already know, -x is safemode, meaning NO kext's are loaded. As you're probably already guessing, this meant no 915 kext's aswell, still no go.

5. I tried boothing with -v -f option, all -v does is show you what you're system is doing instead of showing you the graphics boot loadedr, -f just forces checking on the file system, unfortunately, as I'm sure many of you may have guessed, still no go.

6. The conclusions fellas, STILL NO GO!!!!

But, I do think that we're making progress, because quite frankly ANYTHING other than that freakin Blue Screen, even if it's a "You Must Reboot" message is welcome at this stage.

I haven't tried plugging in an external monitor yet. Mostly because this is a laptop and I want to be able to use the freakin internal LCD that came with it.

I also haven't tried booting with the 830 kext file. Might try that later. But to whoever changed/updated/released the 10.4.3 updater, if you could tell us what changes were made to the booting process as far as QE/CI initialization is concerned, we'd be much obliged.

On a final note: I noticed the OS had initialized a certan amount of Video Ram just before hanging, at first I was hopeful this would provide some clues, and the potential to change the video ram allocation, but after removing the 915 kext's I realized this was memory the OS allocated regardless of whether a graphics kext was loaded.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I solved the problem using dummy s-video adapter!!

I used 2 75 Ohms resistors soldered inside s-video connector. That emulates TV and I have both QE and CI supported (including my native resolution).

If you guys are interested, i can post more data.

I just downloaded 10.4.3. update so will try if this thing is still working after update :D

I liked to try it as well.. I don't want a D-sub plug because I think it is still too big for me.

Instead, if someone like me that own a laptop with mini-svideo, we can try modifying a mini plug and use it like a key to boot. But I have no specification on hand on how this plug look like....... sad..

clip_image002.jpg

Ok, so you need two resistors between 75 and 100 Ohms (resistance of 150 Ohms is enough - it might work even with less resistance, but not sure. I used 2x75)

One resistor must be connected on 1st and 3rd pin and the other one on 2nd and 4th. That's basically it.

Good thing is that you don't have to solder anything. It can work even without s-video connector but it is not very elegant solution because you might damage those resistors if not isolated good enough. But you can always buy 20-30 resistors and replace when damaged (they're pretty cheap). :D

I did use s-video adapter and it looks like this:

PA290025.jpg

(now when I'm looking at this pic it seems that adapter is pretty big, but this is smallest I found, but big enough to fit two resistors...

good one!

will try

will it work if i have a vga port besides my s-video?

Not sure if I understand you...

U want to use s-video but have VGA port on your laptop, right? If that's what you want to ask, I also have VGA port and am succesfuly using s-video dummy connector.

Still, can't be sure for your configuration because as you can see, some guys doesn't even need to connect ext. screen in order to have native resolution and QE & CI.

My advice is - try connecting TV and see if it works. If yes, you'll be able to use s-video dummy connector for sure. If not, I am sure there is solution even for VGA connector using resistors...

Good luck!

Just to solve wireless more and I am switching to x86 completely!

okay. After MUCH dissapointment AGAIN I am dissapointed to learn that hte solution I went out and spent 50 bucks to implement didn't work. Here's the basic rundown:

Using an S-video to Component Video Adapter that plugs into a Component Audio to Headphone Jack adapter.

I had hoped to plug in my svideo cable, then route it through all of the above back into my stereo headphone jack on the laptop. What happened was the same damn "YOU MUST REBOOT" screen I had been getting after installing the 10.4.3 update.

Do you guys have any idea what might be causing this? More importantly, would reverting back to the older mach_kernal fix the problem?

Um.

I wish this topic would go back to the software aspect of solving this problem rather than making special rig jobs to fool the system. I personally think it's a little ridiculous and that we should focus on working this out within the OS itself, personally. I mean you're not really solving anything by making a little adapter like that, are you?

what works for me is :

1. Plug S-video to TV

2. Boot my laptop and select OSX86

3. While OSX86 is loading (big Apple in the middle of the screen), unplug the TV

4. Enjoy QE and CI on my laptop monitor

It seems to work much better than a VGA monitor.

I have an Asus Z71A laptop

still waiting for a real sotfware only solution

Um.

I wish this topic would go back to the software aspect of solving this problem rather than making special rig jobs to fool the system. I personally think it's a little ridiculous and that we should focus on working this out within the OS itself, personally. I mean you're not really solving anything by making a little adapter like that, are you?

Well with all due respect, I don't know how to program. I can't code, and I'm no college student either.

I have a life, and many others are in my situation.

So sure i want a software solution too, but until i, or anyone else for that matter, can figure out how to get us out of this pickle, i fear this temporary solution is all we have.

On a more related note, the 10.4.3 update is taking FOREVER to download, i dont leave my computer on at night because it's in my room and yeah...

When i do get it, ill try reinstalling a few kexts and seeing what i can do with the appleintel830 drivers...

Also, does anyone know if PPC drivers will work on x86? I would just like to know for future reference...

Well with all due respect, I don't know how to program. I can't code, and I'm no college student either.

I have a life, and many others are in my situation.

So sure i want a software solution too, but until i, or anyone else for that matter, can figure out how to get us out of this pickle, i fear this temporary solution is all we have.

On a more related note, the 10.4.3 update is taking FOREVER to download, i dont leave my computer on at night because it's in my room and yeah...

When i do get it, ill try reinstalling a few kexts and seeing what i can do with the appleintel830 drivers...

Also, does anyone know if PPC drivers will work on x86? I would just like to know for future reference...

I'm a very busy college student, with friends and a job, so I also have a life. Very busy :\

If someone would make me one of these and buy me a ethernet bridge and mail me them in exchange for a paypal payment, i'd have it made :-D

I haven't tried 10.4.3. I think the word is whenever you try this fix you get the "Need to restart screen" and cant boot.

No, you can't use PPC drivers with x86.

so nobody has any clue about what I can do to get out of the "need to restart" screen? I'm loving the 10.4.3 update to tell you guys the truth. The laptop seems snappier and safari is now 99 percent usable (still has the odd media player plugin that doesn't work yet).

I can't believe i went out and spent all this mula to get stuck at that same screen! I'm going to try with the 830 kext and see where it takes me. Thanks y'all.

Vanja: your adapter worked!

It costed me less than 2 dollars, and took 5 minutes to ensamble (no soldering, although it would have been easy)

Still, i´d rather have a software solution

BTW I could only get 3 120 ohms resistors so I placexd 2 in parallel (thus 60 ohms) and one alone, for a total of 180 ohms....

I hope I dont get any HW problem!

thanks for the heads up Urby3. I've posted in that forum asking for Tak to post the updated files for 10.4.3. If any of you guys get a chance to do so before him, then please do so here.

Alright, I installed the manual 10.4.3 update without changing the drivers, and i had no problems. No screen that you're all talking about, and no problems. I got a better xbench score, but otherwise, not much changed.

I'm waiting for the real 10.4.3 install dvd, hopefully that'll make a difference...

• 2 weeks later...

well guys...i've been trying everything on the net to get my 915GM (0x2592) to work...and so far here's my results.

1) QE and CI both works fine with an external monitor

2) Mirroring also works fine with an external monitor

3) I could NEVER boot in to mac without an external monitor

4) warm rebooting after booting into windows didnt work.

here's my spec:

i have an HP nx6120 Laptop (same as nx6110)

1.6 Centrino, 1GB ram, 915 mobile chipset, 915GM vga (GMA900 mobile)

and i think i know whats wrong here.

1. the original GMA900 (0x2582) allocates 64/128MB to your vga depending on your total system memory.

2. but the 915GM (0x2592) can ONLY allocate upto max 8MB on system boot. this amount of memory supports a max of 1600x1200x32@60Hz on ONE monitor.

3. But when u plug an external monitor on system boot, the BIOS automatically assigns more memory to the vga so it could support resolutions on both monitors. but i dunno the exact amount.

4. 8MB memory on boot is not static, it will go up to 128MB as applications requires more video ram. This technology is known as DVMT. u can refer here -> Intel DVMT for 915GM

5. This is why on some laptops, after a warm reboot from windows allows u to get in mac osx with QE and CI, because after using windows for sometime, the VRAM is resized as per requirement of windows which also allows u to boot to mac osx. but sadly on mine, everytime u get into the BIOS post, the ram is reset.

6. QE and CI certainly needs more VRAM than 8MB, (intel extreme graphics 2 works fine with QE and CI, only when allocated more than 32MB, luckily manual override is there on the BIOS on desktops and some laptops with intel extreme graphics 2).

SO i think everything makes sense and comes down to one point, VRAM.

Solution?

1. I dont think messing with the existing kexts will work, we need kexts seperately for our vga's.

2. these kexts will require darwin/osx x86 to allocate more memory to the vga on pre-boot to mac os.

3. i heard intel macs are gonna arrive on the market as soon as this coming january, and since 915 is already outdated, i dont think the new intel-macs will have this chipset anymore, so dont expect apple to give us a solution. (unless they plan to use 915GM on their upcomin intel mac notebooks)

on a personal note, these are results from my personal investigation. u may ignore this totally, or really put some effort to this so u could release us from our missery. lol. i'm a system engineer/network admin and i'm quite friendly with hardware when it comes to windows, but unfortunately this is not the case with me and mac os.

cheers! :D

grippa, very interesting theory and sounds very plausible.

I agree that the upcoming Intel notebooks will probably not be GMA900, however, it's possible that Apple have development notebooks in-house that use GMA900. If true, we may see working drivers in newer builds of OSx86. However of course we cannot rely on this.

I'm going to investigate the possibility of increasing the VRAM on system boot (or at least before OSX loads).