[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

JoeP:

Thanks for your fix

Worked on my Toshiba m54sp351!...

EDIT: worked for a while and then lost it

back to my dummy adaptor

Lucky you

EDIT: dontknow what i did and started working again............ Il post results if consistent in few days

Edited by mortis

worked for a while? that's a good point. Did you try to reboot when you lost it?

Sometimes my M40X-141 lose it and goes back to 1024x768. It that case, i just need to wait for MacOSX to finish booting, then i reboot (clean reboot: apple menu > restart), and it comes back to 1280x800.

[edit] i've seen the BIOS of an ACER laptop in my company, there IS the famous display setting. I don't know anything else about this laptop, but it means that toshibas are not the only ones.

hi guys, ive just installed the Generic install dvd of tiger(10.4.1) thats on torrent on my Inspiron 6000.

is it possible to do the steps mentioned here at a resolution of 1680x1050?

Laptop Specs:

Dell Inspiron 6000

1.5 Pentium M

512mb DDR2 400mhz

40GB HDD

Intel GMA900

1680x1050 native resolution

Thanks

Ps: would you recomend i get 10.4.3 then try?

hi guys, ive just installed the Generic install dvd of tiger(10.4.1) thats on torrent on my Inspiron 6000.

Ps: would you recomend i get 10.4.3 then try?

Maybe it works for you 'cause you got a 6000. Just try the 10.4.1 first and tell us what you get :(

Edited by brighttie

Luciano, do you have an AUTODETECT / LCD+VGA setting in your BIOS? it's seems to be the key to get the thing working completely.

Appart from that, your 1680x1050 resolution should not be a problem, just put the right numbers instead of mine (1280x800).

Let us know if you try ;-)

Hi guys, I succeeded to boot w/o an external monitor twice yesterday. What I did just first remove or delete com.apple.windowserver.plist, then reboot. But unfortunately, it's not lasting. After a 2nd reboot, it's blue again. So I really doubt the memory theory, if it is true, how could it work sometimes, but not work the others?

Hello All,

This is my system profiler information for Graphics Section :

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

MX70:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I have 10.4.3 8F1099 running natively on my Dell Dimension 5000 (Intel i915)

These are the following .Kexts i have in my /system/library/extensions folder :

AppleIntel915.kext

AppleIntel915GA.plugin

AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

When i deleted/moved the AppleIntel915.kext - System Profiler would show QE and Core Image as Unsupported, i just now put them back and its now showing as supported.

I have 1280x1024x32 @ 60Hz -

Does this means that i am ok with display settings?

I went through your post and thought i might do it as well but just before thought of asking.

There are no applications crashing apart from Safari which used to crash when running on rossetta - now when unchecked it from using rossetta its working fine.

Suggestions ?

Regards

Mutahir

brighttie, could you post your com.apple.windowserver.plist please? i'd like to compare it to the one i've modified - and which works... thanx :)

Sorry JoeP, I've deleted it. But when I plug an external monitor, the com.apple.windowserver.plist will be generated by the system again. And for that plist, I have to have the external monitor connected. So if you still want to see it, I can do it later.

Hello All,

This is my system profiler information for Graphics Section :

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Hey man, you are fine. Enjoy now.

mutahir, you have device id 2582, which as far as I understand, is for the desktop version of the GMA 900.

You're all set, don't fret, but if you ever get a laptop with GMA 900, we'll be seeing you back here :star_smile:

Like many here I have tried a million and one different things, but while the video on my HP nc6220 works excellently well with an external monitor (I can play full screen video on the external monitor and do something else on the laptop) I cannot get it to boot without the external monitor plugged in (I can later remove it without causing any problem).

So I would like to try making a dummy adaptor. The only thing is my only external monitor connector is a 15 pin D connector not S-Video as mentioned above. Does anyone know how to make a suitable dummy adaptor for this connector?

I am handy with a soldering iron so that bit won't be a problem.

mutahir, you have device id 2582, which as far as I understand, is for the desktop version of the GMA 900.

You're all set, don't fret, but if you ever get a laptop with GMA 900, we'll be seeing you back here :P

Hello Suleman

Haven't got a laptop - actually was thinking to buy but now i am thinking to get an ibook :)

Best of luck

Regards

Mutahir

Hey guys, I found something interesting. When I boot w/o an external monitor (blue screen of course), actually the computer is keeping doing something and return errors (I checked a log file) like this:

Dec 05 15:21:18 [70] kCGErrorFailure: Failure: UCKeyTranslate returns -50

Dec 05 15:21:18 [70] kCGErrorFailure: CGXKeyEventTranslate: key translation failure

Dec 05 15:21:18 [70] kCGErrorFailure: Failure: UCKeyTranslate returns -50

Dec 05 15:21:18 [70] kCGErrorFailure: CGXKeyEventTranslate: key translation failure

..... and on and on

Maybe some of you can read this out. You can check /var/log/windowserver.log for details.

I have a D916GAGL + P4 630 + 1Gb RAM (DDR400 Dual Channel) - OSX 10.4.3 1111

My processor supports: SSE3, PAE, XD.

- Applied Maxxus ANTI-TPM.

After the installation, the system booted normaly...

but after the gray apple, i got a BLUE SCREEN and the system seems stopped.

I can boot using the "-x safe mode"...

so I deleted AppleIntel915.kext, the system boots but no CI, QE and OPENGL. :(

So, how can i get CI, QE and 3D with GMA900???

If you or someone else send-me the AppleIntel files i will be a happy OS X user.

MY OSX -> 10.4.3 build 1111 (the latest)

Sorry for my english,

Thank you for your help!

My gmail -> rscunha13@gmail.com

your computer is NOT a laptop, right? in this case, i don't know if you have 1 or 2 monitor ports. i can't find any info about D916GAGL on google, can you tell us more about it? if you have 2 VGA/DVI ports, try to plug your display into the other port. also do you have a video output?