[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

yeah, i'm using that program too on my linux :blink: ,patching video bios RAM so we can use full resolution on X.

or we have to patch the video bios too??

so, no "xorg.conf" stuff here. arrggghhhhh....i'm tired for searching files in /System and /Library. no clue at all.

:rolleyes:

lets pray Maxxuss for the patch :blink:

i was able to find in /etc/x11/xserver/ folder, a file called xquartz.plist. The folder /etc/x11/ has many .conf files in it.

If you want to view these files without having to boot into single user mode (for viewing in finder) you can enable hidden files by opening up terminal and typing in:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

To disable it afterwards you can type in:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false

Hope this helps!

I DONT KNOW HOW IT GOT IT...

but... I did te OP's method, and then rebooted with an external montior (first time I tried) and then whenever it booted with the display on the other side i did a bunch of random stuff. first I increased the resolution on that display, then i randomly started to try different things...switched the orientation, tried turning on mirroring (crippled display)....i reboot and randmly was pressing F8 and Fn.... just trying random things to get it to boot to the laptop screen....then I was in the middle of a daydream and i was like HEY

AND IT WAS BOOTED UP DURING ONE OF THE ATTEMPTS ON THE LAPTOP SCREEN ! =-O

I disconnected the other monitor a couple times too, this was one of those points.... did a cold boot and still boots on laptop monitor w/ corect widescren res; CI supported.... QE supported....SUCCESS!

I've attached what my Displays in System Profiler looks like. Notice how it realises I have the option for two displays and that the external monitor is not connected....does anyone else get this end result? Maybe I did something different than other people have while using external monitor...hmm.

capture.tiff

lol...how hopelessly depressing. I'm exceedingly happy for you elektro. I too had a one-off success when booting into my laptop after hooking up to an external and removing it. But unfortuantely I could never reproduce those results.

Do you remember anything out of the ordinary that you may have done during this time? I know you mentioned you set the displays to mirroring, fiddled around with the resolutions, etc. Did you do all that before you rebooted the first time? Or was this a bunch of successive reboots after fiddling around? Also, if you could post your exact kext files the way they are right now from your extensions folder, and zips of the folders in your /system/library/display/overides/ directory? I'm sure as someone that was frustrated with this problem for so long you'd appreciate how anxious we all are for any spot of a solution here!

Thanks!

lol...how hopelessly depressing. I'm exceedingly happy for you elektro. I too had a one-off success when booting into my laptop after hooking up to an external and removing it. But unfortuantely I could never reproduce those results.

Do you remember anything out of the ordinary that you may have done during this time? I know you mentioned you set the displays to mirroring, fiddled around with the resolutions, etc. Did you do all that before you rebooted the first time? Or was this a bunch of successive reboots after fiddling around? Also, if you could post your exact kext files the way they are right now from your extensions folder, and zips of the folders in your /system/library/display/overides/ directory? I'm sure as someone that was frustrated with this problem for so long you'd appreciate how anxious we all are for any spot of a solution here!

Thanks!

Yes...well....it was multiple reboots... But...all of a sudden shortly after i posted my capture the system crashed (screen came up saying to hold power button and reset) and whenever I did....you guessed it. Blue screen again. The closest I have gotten now is 1024X768 with successful reboots and QE/CI but cant get higher res...i have no clue why sometimes my monitor is recognized to have higer resolutions and other times it is simply discarded...

I spoke too soon. Got it working again. Added files you requested in a single zip file.

This is what I think you do to make it work:

Boot up with external monitor set so that the grey boot screen boots on the ext monitor, should be able to log in, set it to mirror image if you havent already

Reboot, set so that the grey boot screen boots on the laptop

Should get mirrored blue screen with mouse cursor

NOW Unplug external and reboot, should go straight through to login screen with laptop monitor...

This is what worked for me to boot w/o external [this time anyway]

I don't even understand why this works...

To clarify:

The first time I had success, while I thought I rebooted a couple times with it working I think I really didn't...and the first time I had it working was the time it crashed, so the system may have never saved the display setting.

So I reccomend when you get it set as desired to do a full shut down so it saves the setting and then a normal reboot should once again work with the correct resolution [as I just tried with success]

So what I am saying is...the last time when it crashed and I got the blue screen was because the setting never saved...

anyone who is booting with an ext. monitor try doing what I outlined above... and then shut down once you get it and cold reboot...should be good to go then :(

P.S. I've dropped a new widget to the dashboard atleast 50 times now to watch the ripple effect.

elektrosuccess.zip

Yep...I just got the same results. Though I never got as far as you with being able to boot into my internal without my external hooked up. I've tried just about every rendition of a fix imagineable. And I've seen my laptop display go black, blue, with a mouse curosr, without a mouse cursor, succesffully mirroring, unsuccessfully mirroring. It's impossible to fathom that this is supposed to be a scientific, logic-based device that's causing me all this headache.

Sigh...Maxxuss you're our only hope!

hi..read this whole thread and am trying to grasp the nature of the problem.

is the essence that GMA900 laptops are simply not guaranteed to work as originally expected?

is it true that the only guaranteed to work QI / CI laptop is still the Hp nx6110 as described in the thread below, and that the HP 6000 is speculative?

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=1044&st=0

i had put together a list of laptops that i thought would work 100% with CI and QE, below.

so my list is totally wrong then?

- Hp nx6110

- Compaq nx9020

- Fujitsu Siemens DT4-D1534

- Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook T4010

- Fujitsu Lifebook S6220

- Toshiba Satellite M55-S325

- Toshiba Satellite M45-SP351

- Gateway 3550GZ

- Gateway M250X

- Acer TravelMate 290

- Dell Latitude D510

- Dell Precision M60

- Alienware Sentia 3200

- Hp pavilion dv4000

1 step forward 1 step back... :-)

my Toshiba Satellite M45-SP351 needs external monitor to enable CI-QE, so not 100%

OK. Thats a shame.

Did you try one of the headless adapters I posted on p2 of the above link or the other fellow posted?

So I'll take it off the list for now. That leaves us with possibly working machines of:

- Hp nx6110

- Compaq nx9020

- Fujitsu Siemens DT4-D1534

- Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook T4010

- Fujitsu Lifebook S6220

- Toshiba Satellite M55-S325

- Gateway 3550GZ

- Gateway M250X

- Acer TravelMate 290

- Dell Latitude D510

- Dell Precision M60

- Alienware Sentia 3200

- Hp pavilion dv4000

guys, i think we're pretty much screwed on this until Maxxuss gets here. I have to say, for all my love of OS X, I've been somewhat bewildered by what I can only describe to be inexplixable, illogical, and dumbfounded results.

Some people tinker and get what they want, only to have it stay that way for a short period of time and go back to dodo mode. This definitely sounds like a memory problem but at this stage who knows!

I'm trying a headless mac option this weekend...though i don't have high expectations. Even mirroring wasn't working like i needed it to last time I tried.

Yesterday I managed to get the QE to work with my laptop.. (without external monitor at all, my laptop does not have external port) I try reboot it few times and still success.. however, I failed after installing the language patch. I got it work again today but only once for around 100 trial..

One strange thing is that most of the time I cannot run the command "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /"

It just stop there without any response and I have to stop it by ctrl-c...

............................ hopeless.

McDull I checked out the 915GA kext and I found that i had my device ID's correctly set to 2592 instead of 2582, but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

Have any of you guys tried fixing the Quartz Memory Minimum's?

Although I have only given it several reboots, I believe this is the key to what is causing our problems, guys.

Following these steps should remove the need for any external monitors.

1)Sucessfully boot to the correct display with CI and QE enabled....do reboots or whatever is necessary to get it on the single display with the correct seting

2)Detect monitors [probably isn't really necessary]

3) Browse to your /Systems/Library folder. Remove Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files. You will probably need to authenticate.

4)Reboot without any external monitors or anything (!)

5) Shut down and cold boot without any external monitors or anything (!)

6) Repair permissions using Disk Utility

after some reboots it stopped working.

Guys, I'm running the Intel 915chipset on a Toshiba M45-2693, and after several trials & errors, the laptop display now works great with no problems. The only error I'm getting (and I believe some other folks are getting the same error) is the one AppleIntel830.Kext not loading. I've all the suggestions, and yet I have no idea why this is working. However it seems whenever I apply any type of patch recommended through-out this forum. it kills OSx86 and I have to restore from my backup...thank goodness for backups. I'm to the point of just buying a Powerbook with hopes that at some point, all these problems will be worked out.

Yeah i just re-installed osx and got my audio working then gma900, and i hooked it up to my tv. it recognized it and i had 2 monitors. From there i switched my main display to my laptops screen and have just had no problems ever since...

Wierd...

yeah, one thing i haven't tried out yet is plugging in a TV and using that as the external. I think i read in another forum that it works. Also, elektro, what if there was some way to keep the system from rebuilding the extensions.mkext and extensions cache files?

Yeah i just re-installed osx and got my audio working then gma900, and i hooked it up to my tv. it recognized it and i had 2 monitors. From there i switched my main display to my laptops screen and have just had no problems ever since...

Wierd...

How do you set the "main display" in OS X? whenever It is on my external screen it simply wont let me change it to the laptop. Maybe it is because you used a TV...hmm

yeah, one thing i haven't tried out yet is plugging in a TV and using that as the external. I think i read in another forum that it works. Also, elektro, what if there was some way to keep the system from rebuilding the extensions.mkext and extensions cache files?

There might be, but I'm thinking perhaps it just rebuilds whatever is in the folder at boot. the only reason i thought it worked was that perhaps it would rebuild the correct files and stop the problem.

I'm going to try a TV tonight.

Guys, I'm running the Intel 915chipset on a Toshiba M45-2693, and after several trials & errors, the laptop display now works great with no problems. The only error I'm getting (and I believe some other folks are getting the same error) is the one AppleIntel830.Kext not loading. I've all the suggestions, and yet I have no idea why this is working. However it seems whenever I apply any type of patch recommended through-out this forum. it kills OSx86 and I have to restore from my backup...thank goodness for backups. I'm to the point of just buying a Powerbook with hopes that at some point, all these problems will be worked out.

Did you try just deleting AppleIntel830.kext from the extensions folder? or is it saying it is missing? if so, try adding a dummy file.

Alright. I should clarify: everything worked well just for a few reboots, then i needed the external monitor, or tv, in my case.

For whomever asked how to make it your main disply: Go into your display properties. There you should see your 2 displays. One of them will have a little grey/white bar at the top, representing the menu bar. Just drag that bar over to the other display, and you're in buisness.

Also, now that im back up and running with mac, it should be noted that as long as os x THINKS there is something connected, you're good to go. I found that if i connect my output plus which should be going to my tv to my audio jack (just to give it a signal: to get the electrons moving, even if it results in nothing concrete) and hold my display/display switch button (fn f4 for my pavilion dv4000), osx boots up fine every time, so theres my temporary solution. I should add that in display properties, after doing the above, mac thinks that the tv is connected. So yeah...

Someone try this as well. I was unable to try it with the actual MONITOR port because my monitor's wire cannot be removed from it.

-Urby3

PS it's good to be back in the community! If only i could program...

urby3, what you're suggesting is basically that the "headless mac" situation would produce likely the same results. For those of you that are unfamiliar, the "headless macs" are little rgb plugs that go into the back of your laptop, which make your laptop believe a monitor is plugged in when none is actually present.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and find one and order it and check it out. I wouldn't mind having to keep that plugged in each time I boot, though it's definitely only a temporary solution, and I also don't know if it's 100 percent going to work in my case.

One thing I am worried about Urby3, is whether or not after doing what you were talking about, when running dashboard and expose, OS X treats it as though a secondary display is present. i.e., do you get expose windows that are not on your main display on the internal LCD, but on the secondary external tv/monitor that isn't actually there? Let me know about this, because it's obviously an important consdiration. I use expose and dashboard too many times to count.

On a final note: It looks like i'm an Apple Newton now, but I rather liked being a HAL 9000. :D

The headless mac is exactly what i mean, yes. I dont even have to have my display switch key pressed at all for this method to work.I'm still running tests, and this hasn't failed me yet!

As far as dashboard and expose, once in mac, you can comfortable have it rescan for displays, and then you have QE and CG on ONE monitor only, your flat panel.

Well it's not a headless mac unit per-se, but more of a normal solution.

It simply needs a signal. All i have is a normal cable with an adapter.

You see, my video out port is something of an s-video port.

So i just bought an adapter to convert it to a normal video-out port.

Then i just use a digital (standard - like the ones used to connect dvd players) cable to connect it to my headphone port. It can actually be any port, as long as it's working and can be used, for example, with whatever it was made for.

In my case, i have to hold it in place for it to get the signal for it to work because of the "rim" around the connector.

So i guess you could say its a homemade solution!!

BTW you can get the adapter (if you need it of course) at your local radioshack or TV store seller guy! It's no specialized equipement...