[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Maxxuss, you raise many important points.

Firstly, let me start by saying not everyone has experienced the same success booting into windows first and then doing a warm reboot back into OS X to get QE or CI working. Only some people have experienced this, and, as far as I know, not any 915 users, but only 810 and above users.

Secondly, in order to get the second display recognized and working, you need to do quite a bit of fiddling around. On my system, with the external monitor plugged in, I have to constantly switch back and forth between the internal and external screens to get the laptop display recognized as a secondary display. Even in this case, it works only on occassion. I don't know if the LCD on the laptop is recognized as the second display when booting into OS X without the external monitor attached, but if it were, you would at least be able to move the mouse about on the screen by moving it to either the far right or far left. So far I have been unable to see my mouse at all, simply a blank blue screen.

Thirdly, with power save mode, by which I presume you mean "suspend," if I close the lid on my internal LCD, even though nothing is being displayed on that screen, the external LCD goes into suspend. It also comes back from suspend, when i re-open the internal LCD, which is not what happens when I have no 915 kext's installed and try to put my laptop in suspend. In the latter case, with no external monitor and no kexts loaded, closing the laptop lid will put the PC into suspend, but opening it won't bring back the display again.

Fourthly, I haven't got a linux install on this PC, and I'm thinking about doing it. Where would I go to find out how to pre-boot linux or freebsd into X11 using the i810 driver?

I think you're on the right track here, the card needs only to be initialized properly at boot in order for it to work, before loading the kext and gfx. The one thing that still boggles my mind, is why an external works and an internal doesn't!.

Lastly, I don't know anything at all unfortunately about the memory situation, and whether or not that is playing a factor. It seemed like sound reasoning to me, up until I tried hooking up my external LCD and noticed that Darwin still detects only 7 mb of video memory. If you've got anything you'd like for me to test, I'd be more than willing to do so.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

chrisreal, could you please give us some more details? What type of laptop are you on. What type of chipset do you have? Is it the 915? What are the specific changes you make in your bios? When providing a fix, please give as many details as possible! Then it will be as useful as possible ;)

chrisreal, could you please give us some more details? What type of laptop are you on. What type of chipset do you have? Is it the 915? What are the specific changes you make in your bios? When providing a fix, please give as many details as possible! Then it will be as useful as possible

My laptop is an Asus W5AE (W5000 series).Chipset is 915.

Try this (strange but works) workaround.Trust me:

While MacOS is loading,with external monitor NOT plugged,press the key combination to swap display to external ( for me is fn+F8) continuosly...yes,naturally nothing will happen but......you'll be able to get the LCD working and no more blue screeen.100% tested.

Let me know your feedback.

ps.Sorry for my bad english,I hope it's enough clear....

thanks for the additional info chrisreal, unfortunately I had tried this before and it is not a "universal fix." On some computers using teh FN + F8 key to switch between your external and internal displays doesn't work if you don't have anything plugged into your external display. If you read in this same thread, a few people even tried to see if there was any kind of a hardware dongle they could buy to make the computer think there was an external monitor plugged in so they could apply your fix. Unfortunately, and as far as I know, no such dongle found yet.

Anyways I sent Maxxuss my patched files, if we're lucky we should have a software solution to this problem soon.. :)

thanks for the additional info chrisreal, unfortunately I had tried this before and it is not a "universal fix." On some computers using teh FN + F8 key to switch between your external and internal displays doesn't work if you don't have anything plugged into your external display. If you read in this same thread, a few people even tried to see if there was any kind of a hardware dongle they could buy to make the computer think there was an external monitor plugged in so they could apply your fix. Unfortunately, and as far as I know, no such dongle found yet.

Anyways I sent Maxxuss my patched files, if we're lucky we should have a software solution to this problem soon..

Sure but maybe my expalination is limited by my english....

Try to switch WHILE macos is loading ,press FN+F8 many times,continuosly,sure that nothing happen if a external minitor isn't attached (in my laptop too) but in this way i can boot in lcd mode...

When macos is loading and I press FN+F8 monitor become become black and return immediately on boot screen and so on with every FN+F8.

If i try to switch (FN + F8) when macos is already load my screen crash and I must reboot.

Thanks chrisreal. I understand completely what you mean, on some computers this works and on others this doesn't. This is because that on some laptops, pressing FN + F8 will make the laptop screen go black (because it's switching power to the external monitor) and on other screens it won't make the laptop screen go black (because it can't find anything plugged in to the external monitor).

I understand what you're saying perfectly fine, and your english isn't as bad as you may think. :)

I have an acer travelmate 4021NWLCi, pentium m 725 (1.6), i915GM with 1280x800 LCD. after i edited files above (added 0x25928086 0x27928086), i can get 1280x800 res by using external monitor with QE. and when i unplugged the ext. monitor an reboot the system i can get a full 1280x800 on my LCD without ext. monitor. strange. after i shutdown and rebooted again it doesn't working again. :)

So..if my screen does go black for a second when i press Fn+F8....does that mean if i apply the patch this time and press that a bunch of times while booting it will indeed boot without a blue screen?

I dont want to risk having to reinstall again if it doesnt work [because i'd rather be in 1024x768 than have to hook up an external monitor everytime].

I'm also on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop..

So..if my screen does go black for a second when i press Fn+F8....does that mean if i apply the patch this time and press that a bunch of times while booting it will indeed boot without a blue screen?

I dont want to risk having to reinstall again if it doesnt work [because i'd rather be in 1024x768 than have to hook up an external monitor everytime].

I'm also on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop..

Still waiting for a reply to this..... OSx86 is dying :(

elektro the success chrisreal experienced may prove true in your case also. Unfortunately there is no way of telling, except through trial and error. One thing I will say though, you can easily try to see if this works by putting the kext's back in and repairing permissions, and then if they don't work you could just reboot into single user mode, mount the partition writeable, and then go into your system/library/extensions/ folder and type "sudo mv appleintel915.kext appleintel915.old" and do the same for appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext to keep the system from booting them.

I hope this works for you, good luck!

I noticed something while looking around. There is a directory "/System/Library/Displays/Overrides". In this folder there are folders for different vendors. Would it be possilbe to add a folder with information on the display that you are running. Maybe force it to recognize your display. I'm a little lost on what all the information in the folders means, but hoped that someone might understand enough to come up with a basic info file.

Maxxuss, here is the folder from my /system/library/display/overides/ directory. Hope it helps!

thanks squeakz for your input. I have pm'd Maxxuss and posted on this forum from one of the folders in my overrides directory. It seems like more than a coincidence that the name of the folder would be DisplayVendorID_610 when my laptop is also a Dell D 610, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Do you have the same folder in your overrides directory squeakz?

DisplayVendorID_610.zip

elektro the success chrisreal experienced may prove true in your case also. Unfortunately there is no way of telling, except through trial and error. One thing I will say though, you can easily try to see if this works by putting the kext's back in and repairing permissions, and then if they don't work you could just reboot into single user mode, mount the partition writeable, and then go into your system/library/extensions/ folder and type "sudo mv appleintel915.kext appleintel915.old" and do the same for appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext to keep the system from booting them.

I hope this works for you, good luck!

nope, didn't work :D:no:

sorry elektro...i know the feeling of getting dissappointed with this problem man.

squeakz, let me know if you have any luck with the device ID. I was somewhat bummed out to learn i wasn't the only with a 610 folder. Ah well...it's following in a long line of dissappointments... :'(

hi all,

when i startup with -s mode, and enter the quartz manually by typing "/usr/X11R6/bin/quartz-wm" or "/usr/X11R6/bin/startx" or "/usr/X11/bin/Xquartz" (after adding PATH variable with /usr/X11R6/bin) then the blue screen comes up. What i mean is, if in linux we can edit X server configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so where's the location of X server configuration file in MacOS X?? i think that to solves this problem we should look at the configuration file..

i've been searching in "man quartz-wm", "man X", "man Xquartz" and others but i can't find any clue..

sorry for my bad english.. :rolleyes:

if we do find an xorg.conf file, then we may be onto something big here. For linux users that have the 915 card, someone invented a 915 video hack to enable all resolutions and properly initialize the card. Go to google and type in "915resolution" without any spaces and you will see what i'm talking about.