Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

I've been relatively successful with installing Kalyway 10.5.2 on a D630. Unfortunately I've got the Intel 4965AGN WiFi and the Broadcom 7755 Ethernet so I'm screwed with respect to getting network connectivity. I'm just going to buy a USB WiFi adapter.

My biggest problem is graphics. I installed the GMAX3100 drivers provided in the first post and everything looks great. Except that fact that menu and drop down panels are all messed up and unreadable. Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Hi, roneil4

I had install the 10.5.2 in my D630, but the keyboard is not working execpt frist time reboot. Could you help me? Or I need install the 10.5.4 to sevole this problem?

Assuming you have a USB keyboard/mouse, install the attached kext and the kexts in sleep_fix from the first post. Then reboot and you should be good.

I've been relatively successful with installing Kalyway 10.5.2 on a D630. Unfortunately I've got the Intel 4965AGN WiFi and the Broadcom 7755 Ethernet so I'm screwed with respect to getting network connectivity. I'm just going to buy a USB WiFi adapter.

My biggest problem is graphics. I installed the GMAX3100 drivers provided in the first post and everything looks great. Except that fact that menu and drop down panels are all messed up and unreadable. Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Are you using 10.5.4? If not, follow the instructions in the first post to upgrade to it.

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Hey Roneil4,

Have you tried out the battery installer pack i posted a while back. I see that the guide hasn't been updated, so i imagine you haven't tested it out as of yet.

Let me know if it works for you as it is for me.

cheers,

Question: is there a reason why the interface seems sluggish, even with hardware acceleration? I also have low xbench / geekbench scores compared to a real macbook (which seems to have very similar hardware).

This is funny cause I have a D830 and have the same issue. I can't find a good reason for this. Only thing I discovered is that at a fresh restart the interface is sluggish (no smooth transitions fi dashboard ...).

My D830 has no problems going to sleep and after wakeup from sleep the interface is very fast, no sluggishness at all.

Does somebody know how this can be? Is this a problem with NVinject I am using? Problem with kext loading ?

Thnx

AntarcticP

Hi Roneil,

Sorry for not posting on here for a while. In response to the issue with having ahci support in windows xp i tried to use the file you attached and i ended up with a corrupt system folder soon after the new hardware was being identified and installation was taking place. I managed to get around it by slipstreaming the intel matrix driver and then application as given on the dell site for our d630's (using the f6 option during xp install could work too). I don't know if i'm the only one that had that corruption problem but if i'm not then it's a warning to those who try it next. Also, one reason to try doing the ahci support during initial install of windows is that I've heard that even if you get the hardware recognised it seems like you don't get all the features that come with it like NCQ unless it's there from the beginning.

One other thing, I can't get into my mac osx installation after switching to ahci. I installed it using the ati setting in the beginning and now when i try get into mac osx after setting to ahci it will stop at the grey screen with a little circle with slash through it icon telling me it's not going any further. Is there a way i can get back in or do i have to do a reinstall?

I have tried numerous times to install OSx86 using iATKOS v2.0i using Roneil's guide. I am able to get it installed, but when I get to the portion of the guide where I need to install the 10.5.4 comboupdate, I run into problems. I am able to get through 50% of the files written, and then the computer goes into a kernel panic. I try to reboot, and it goes into kernel panic. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to help resove this issue? I install with the 9.2.2 stock kernel. I assume that this is related to the video chipset, but I have read about so many sucessful installs with this model. My BIOS is set to AHCI with everything else left at their default settings.

Latitude D830

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz

2GB RAM

Intel GM965 Graphics

Sigmatel Audio

Dell TrueMobile 1390 WiFi (previously Intel 3965 WiFi)

I am extremely proficient in the Microsoft environment, but a novice when it comes to Linux/Unix/Mac OS.

Hey Roneil4,

Have you tried out the battery installer pack i posted a while back. I see that the guide hasn't been updated, so i imagine you haven't tested it out as of yet.

Let me know if it works for you as it is for me.

cheers,

Oh I did install it, and it didn't change anything for me. Did you do anything else along with installing that?

This is funny cause I have a D830 and have the same issue. I can't find a good reason for this. Only thing I discovered is that at a fresh restart the interface is sluggish (no smooth transitions fi dashboard ...).

My D830 has no problems going to sleep and after wakeup from sleep the interface is very fast, no sluggishness at all.

Does somebody know how this can be? Is this a problem with NVinject I am using? Problem with kext loading ?

Thnx

AntarcticP

I've heard of this problem happening w/ nvinject. What you need to do is sleep and wake the computer before using it, or try nvkush.

Hi Roneil,

Sorry for not posting on here for a while. In response to the issue with having ahci support in windows xp i tried to use the file you attached and i ended up with a corrupt system folder soon after the new hardware was being identified and installation was taking place. I managed to get around it by slipstreaming the intel matrix driver and then application as given on the dell site for our d630's (using the f6 option during xp install could work too). I don't know if i'm the only one that had that corruption problem but if i'm not then it's a warning to those who try it next. Also, one reason to try doing the ahci support during initial install of windows is that I've heard that even if you get the hardware recognised it seems like you don't get all the features that come with it like NCQ unless it's there from the beginning.

One other thing, I can't get into my mac osx installation after switching to ahci. I installed it using the ati setting in the beginning and now when i try get into mac osx after setting to ahci it will stop at the grey screen with a little circle with slash through it icon telling me it's not going any further. Is there a way i can get back in or do i have to do a reinstall?

Thats very odd. I'm sorry to hear that it caused so many problems for your windows installation. If anyone else has a corruption problem i'll remove the files, but if anyone else tries it after this, make sure your windows xp partition is completely backed up. Hopefully it was only an isolated incident.

If you installed os x with ata, you need to leave it on ata. You will only take a slight performance hit for ata, but some compatibility issues may arise later on. You would have to reinstall it.

I have tried numerous times to install OSx86 using iATKOS v2.0i using Roneil's guide. I am able to get it installed, but when I get to the portion of the guide where I need to install the 10.5.4 comboupdate, I run into problems. I am able to get through 50% of the files written, and then the computer goes into a kernel panic. I try to reboot, and it goes into kernel panic. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to help resove this issue? I install with the 9.2.2 stock kernel. I assume that this is related to the video chipset, but I have read about so many sucessful installs with this model. My BIOS is set to AHCI with everything else left at their default settings.

Latitude D830

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz

2GB RAM

Intel GM965 Graphics

Sigmatel Audio

Dell TrueMobile 1390 WiFi (previously Intel 3965 WiFi)

I am extremely proficient in the Microsoft environment, but a novice when it comes to Linux/Unix/Mac OS.

Use iATKOS v1.0ir2 if you can. v2.0 creates huge problems with our laptops because it installs leopard graphics update, which is incompatible with the specific gmax3100 revision used in our laptops.

Good news!

Sleep+speedstep is working with http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry846741.

I dont get the 800 mode and sound stutters a brief moment when switching modes but to be an early beta this looks very promising.

/roos

I knew it would come eventually, thats great! Our computers continue to get closer and closer to being like real macs...

Ok.. UPDATE.. bios A13 is the problem DO NOT INSTALL IT. it updates the bios for intel video.. I went back to A12 and I got video now.. but how can I get it to work at 1680x1050 ? I am stuck at 1024x768

It should work at native resolution after you install the video drivers.

Thanks its working but the main screen dont work on my D830 i have to use the fn trick to enable my main monitor of my laptop do you know how to fix that??

Its working very stable and my intel wireless 3945ABG is working..

You need to sleep and wake the monitor. I suggest you use the sleepdisplay script I posted at the beginning of this thread. Also, how did you get your intel wireless card working?

Hi All,

I bought a D830 a little while back, just wanted to share what I learned. However, keep in mind, I sprung for the T9300. Your mileage may vary!

Early install discs stalled for me, almost all of them. I never got it fixed, they still do, but the newer discs seem to work. If anybody knows why, I'd be interested.

I had time estimates for my battery when I installed with Kalyway 10.5.2 and the kexts in the first post. When I installed iAtkos 10.5.4, I couldn't get it back. I don't know what was different, I couldn't get it back. I've moved to Superhai's ACPIBattery kext for now. Anybody know if Chun-nan's is better? Superhai seems to be working closer with kernel development.

9.2 kernels worked great for me. 9.4 kernel lost time and had audio stutter. I tried the tscsync patched kernels, with boot flag, that alone did not fix it. Once I installed Chameleon, it was fixed. Now, it may indeed have required both. I haven't tried vanilla again, we'll see.

NVKush worked great for hardware acceleration of the NVS 140M, nothing else required. I gave Diabolik the Dev ID for the NVS 140M and in new versions is identified correctly. I haven't tested external monitor output, I should probably do that. I don't have shutdown after NVIDIA acceleration.

Hopefully we'll get mute if Taruga ever comes back, but does anybody have HDAEnabler working correctly?

Lastly, I have created an article on the wiki for the Latitude D830. I like wikis because they allow newcomers to get up to speed without reading the whole thread, and do not force the tread creator to update the first post all the time. Please take a look, and edit what's wrong. What pertains to my machine is correct, I may have missed particulars for yours. Especially, help with what install discs work would be great.

Found Here

One big personal question: Do we know the full effects of the new A13 BIOS? x2beach says that it kills Intel graphics, do we have confirmation from another machine? Do we know what happens for NVIDIA machines? Those who dual boot, I'm sorry I don't, can test effects without permanent problems by downloading both current and new BIOS, flash the new one in Windows, boot into OS X, if a problem boot into Windows and flash back.

Thanks,

theStevo

George Wassef,

No ethernet, for the foreseeable future. Buy a ten dollar USB to ethernet adapter. Are you using Intel or NVIDIA graphics?

theStevo

Hi All,

I bought a D830 a little while back, just wanted to share what I learned. However, keep in mind, I sprung for the T9300. Your mileage may vary!

Early install discs stalled for me, almost all of them. I never got it fixed, they still do, but the newer discs seem to work. If anybody knows why, I'd be interested.

I had time estimates for my battery when I installed with Kalyway 10.5.2 and the kexts in the first post. When I installed iAtkos 10.5.4, I couldn't get it back. I don't know what was different, I couldn't get it back. I've moved to Superhai's ACPIBattery kext for now. Anybody know if Chun-nan's is better? Superhai seems to be working closer with kernel development.

9.2 kernels worked great for me. 9.4 kernel lost time and had audio stutter. I tried the tscsync patched kernels, with boot flag, that alone did not fix it. Once I installed Chameleon, it was fixed. Now, it may indeed have required both. I haven't tried vanilla again, we'll see.

NVKush worked great for hardware acceleration of the NVS 140M, nothing else required. I gave Diabolik the Dev ID for the NVS 140M and in new versions is identified correctly. I haven't tested external monitor output, I should probably do that. I don't have shutdown after NVIDIA acceleration.

Hopefully we'll get mute if Taruga ever comes back, but does anybody have HDAEnabler working correctly?

Lastly, I have created an article on the wiki for the Latitude D830. I like wikis because they allow newcomers to get up to speed without reading the whole thread, and do not force the tread creator to update the first post all the time. Please take a look, and edit what's wrong. What pertains to my machine is correct, I may have missed particulars for yours. Especially, help with what install discs work would be great.

Found Here

One big personal question: Do we know the full effects of the new A13 BIOS? x2beach says that it kills Intel graphics, do we have confirmation from another machine? Do we know what happens for NVIDIA machines? Those who dual boot, I'm sorry I don't, can test effects without permanent problems by downloading both current and new BIOS, flash the new one in Windows, boot into OS X, if a problem boot into Windows and flash back.

Thanks,

theStevo

What is HDAEnabler? Right now the only problems with sound are mute and the internal microphone. Also, I've never had trouble with the vanilla 9.4 kernel, so I never tried other kernels. You may get those problems because your processor is one of the newer 45 nm intel processors. If I remember correctly, those have a faster FSB speed, so having an incorrect FSB speed setting could throw things off. But, at the same time, you probably have 667 MHz RAM, so that rules out FSB problems (ram that speed would bring your FSB speed down to 667 MHz). Anyways, I guess you have that trouble, so other people probably do too. Also, I can try flashing the new BIOS and see if I have problems, because I am triple booting.

One thing I would recommend for you is to install a completely vanilla copy of OS X. I have found that performance is greatly increased (in XBench, and mainly on the disc test), and you definitely know what you're doing (I used your installer guide to make an installer for my own vanilla os x install disc).

Hi All,

…Once I installed Chameleon, it was fixed.…

NVKush worked great for hardware acceleration of the NVS 140M, nothing else required. I gave Diabolik the Dev ID for the NVS 140M and in new versions is identified correctly.…

Thanks,

theStevo

What's Chameleon and why would I want to install it?

How do I tell Diabolik the Dev ID for the NVS 135M that I have in my D830? For that matter how do I find the Dev ID?

I installed the D13 BIOS within a day or two of when it came out. I've been successfully triple booting both before and after the BIOS update. I run XP Business, Vista Business and OS X 10.5.4 with the vanilla kernel.

I would love to get better sound support. I generally dock my machine. For some reason if I have speakers plugged into the dock the sound still plays on the D830 also. I have to plug the speakers into the headphone jack on the laptop itself to get the laptop to be quiet and just let the external speakers work.

I also found that I had problems with the various NVinject(s) and that NVKush seemed to work better, but… Nothing I did worked when docked. What did work for me was to use NVKush, setup the NVCap for the 'standard' dual DVI value (I'm not in MacOS right now so can't give the correct string, will try to remember and edit this post). Start the laptop undocked. Plug the monitor into the (only) VGA port on the back of the laptop. Do a 'detect montors' from the Monitors control panel. The external display now works. I set it up as my main monitor with my laptop screen above it, since no matter what I do I can't get MacOS to properly ignore the laptop screen when its off because the laptop was started docked or closed. I then hot dock the laptop and plug the monitor into the VGA display on the dock. I then have accelerated QD/CE video for the external monitor. I can even plug the monitor into the DVI port and turn off the VGA port on the monitor and detect displays to switch to DVI. I just can't do it without having done the boot undocked and hot plug the monitor into the actual laptop VGA port first. Nothing I did worked and I tried dozens of NVCap settings. I could always boot docked with "-x Graphics Mode=1680x1050x32" and get the docked display working but not accelerated. And I always ended up with black screen if I started docked without having first been started undocked :) I should add that once I've set up my machine to 'work' docked it will boot just fine when not docked and then still boot just fine once docked again.

But hopefully this might help some folks who want to dock their machine and have accelerated graphics and have the nVidia display adaptors.

Also, thanks for the tip someone suggested early on in the thread about going to eBay and getting the Dell 1395 (or was it 1390?) wireless card and installing it into the WLAN port in the machine. I now have a working wireless and as a bonus I get 2 wireless networks (both cards, the Intel in the wireless port and the Dell in the WLAN port) working in Vista, that happened seemlessly. In XP I had to choose to use 'Windows wireless' support vs the specific Dell or Intel wireless programs to get dual wireless.

Guess I should list my setup:

D830, nVidia Quatro NVM 135M, 4G memory, 2.2 Ghz Dual Core

wireless via Dell 1395(1390) card

10.5.4 vanilla kernel, NVKush