Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

As requested by a few users, here is a guide for the Dell Latitude D630. You can set up a nearly perfect installation of Leopard 10.5.4 on the D630. I recommend that you use the Kalyway disc for this system, but you could also use iATKOS. I have used both, but in the end I settled on Kalyway because of it's out of the box support for sleep. I was never able to get sleep working on iATKOS (unless I used the vanilla kernel), and speedstep was unstable on iATKOS, which was the only benefit I saw to using it. It is all personal preference though. If you use iATKOS, make sure you are using version 1.0iR2 or later, as this version makes the installer usable on GMAX3100 systems. If one of these install discs does not work for you, try the other one. Many users with the NVIDIA Quadro graphics card have reported problems with kalyway, so it's probably a better idea to stick with iATKOS if you have this card. You should be able to find both of these disc images on the bay of pirates :( .

To begin, boot into your BIOS, and under the second option (I can't remember its name), change your disk mode to AHCI. OS X runs much better when your HD is in AHCI mode. If dual booting, make sure that your Windows installation has the correct AHCI drivers installed. Next, boot off of your installation disk. If you are using Kalyway, press f8 when the boot prompt comes up on your screen. Then type vanilla, and then enter. You do not need to do this for iATKOS. It takes a while to boot, so be patient. When the language prompt comes up, click the arrow. Once the installer finishes loading, click the utilities menu on the top of your screen, and then click disk utility. Disk utility is very simple to use. You must set up your main HD with at least one HFS+ partition, to install os x on. The partition you want to install leopard on needs to have a volume label that is only one word. For example, you could call it leo_volume, but not "leo volume". You should use the partition option, but this will erase all of the data on your disk. If you choose partition, make sure you set the partition scheme to MBR, and this can be set by clicking options in the partition window. If you have to, you can erase individual partitions, and format them to HFS+. For example, if you want to dual boot Windows and OS X, you could install windows first, make a second partition on your disk, and then install OS X on that partition. Once finished, click next through the next few dialogs, until you get to the select disk window. Make sure you select the partition you formatted earlier to install os x on. Now click next again, and you should be at the screen that has two buttons, install and customize. Click customize. If using Kalyway, select boot_efi_mbr within the Bootloaders EFI folder at the bottom of the list, and select the vanilla kernel folder at the top. The options for iATKOS are similar. If you are using iATKOS, DO NOT select the gmax3100 drivers. Also, for either disk, you have the option of installing the unmodified kernel (vanilla kernel), and many people like using that. It will break sleep support on kalyway, but you can fix that later on. If you are using iATKOS, you should install with the vanilla kernel. Now click done, and then install. This will take about 10 to 20 minutes to complete, and when finished, your system should say installation complete, and show a countdown to reboot. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card installed in your system, click the reboot button now, and skip over the next paragraph of text. If not (meaning that you must have the GMAX3100), read on.

If you have the Intel GMAX3100 installed in your system, before that countdown ends, you need to click utilities on the top menu, and then click terminal. Now type these commands, in sequence, pressing the enter key at the end of each line (leo_volume should be replaced with the name of the partition you installed os x on in the first and last commands):

cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/leo_volume

Now, you can reboot into your leopard installation. If you booted successfully, move on to the next paragraph. If not, read on. Most likely, the reason you cannot boot is because your leopard partition is not set active. If this is the case, you would either see a b0 error, or just a blinking underscore sign. I only had this problem a couple of times with Kalyway, and never with iATKOS. To fix this, you need to boot off your installation disk, and open Terminal from the utilities menu. First, type "diskutil list". The output should look like this:

diskutillistbj0.th.png

My OS X partition was named Roneil-Main, so my identifier was disk0s2. You need to take note of the identifier of the partition you installed OS X on. Let's say that mine is disk@s%. Below, replace every @ and % with your number. Now, type the following commands, pressing enter in between them:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk@
f %
write
y
q

Now reboot, and you should boot into leopard.

Now, after completing the setup wizard, your leopard desktop should appear. But there are still many things you need to do now. If you installed iATKOS, you need to install the kext helper application before doing anything else, which can be found here. First, you should install the 10.5.4 combo update from the apple website. Here is a link to it. Now, open the application Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities) and type "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done" and press enter. Leave that window open, and install the package you downloaded from the apple website. When the installation finishes, do not press restart, just leave the window open. Now you can close the terminal window from earlier (it will warn you about closing with running processes, just close it anyways). Open the file, located at /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1, with textedit. Look for the line with "Don't steal mac os x.kext" and replace "Don't steal mac os x.kext" with "Dsmos.kext". Now save the file and exit textedit. Now, download an attached zip file, named Sleep_Fix.zip. Unzip it, and you should get some files with the extension .kext. Now open the kext helper application. Select all of the kext files, and click and drag them onto the white space in the kexthelper application. Then type your root password into the box, and click easy install. After it says cross your fingers and reboot, click ok, and if you have an nvidia quadro card, reboot now. If you have a gma x3100 graphics card, open Terminal and type these commands, in sequence, pressing the enter key at the end of each line:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
diskutil repairPermissions /

Now, you can finally reboot.

Next, you should get your system to recognize your graphics card correctly. Once you install graphics support, sleep should work on your system because of the files installed earlier. If you are using the GMAX3100, follow the steps below. If not, skip to the next paragraph.

For the GMAX3100, you need to download the zip archive here, named GMAX3100_Files.zip. This file contains the modified GMAX3100 kexts (assembled by AJ.Allen and modified by simcolor), a script to run the sleepdisplay application, which I wrote, and the SleepDisplay application. Place the SleepDisplay folder anywhere you want, but you can never delete it. Now, open the sleep display folder, and double click the file named sleepdisplayscript.app. This is only to get past the downloaded from the internet dialog that sometimes appears when getting apps off the internet. Now, open the system preferences application (the icon with gears on the dock) and select accounts. Now, select the main account, click login items, and click the plus icon. Find and select the sleepdisplayscript.app, and click add. You need to make sure that your system is set to login automatically for this to work, so from here click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, type your password, and press enter. Next, click login options. Next to the automatic logon, select the account you added the login item to, and enter your password again. Now, open the application kexthelper. Go to the folder kexts, which was unzipped from the GMAX3100 archive earlier. Select all of the kext files, and click and drag them onto the white space in the kexthelper application. Then type your root password into the box, and click easy install. After it says cross your fingers and reboot, reboot your system. Now your graphics should be fully accelerated. To continue, skip over the next paragraph of text.

For the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135m and 140m, the installation is much simpler. You should have fully accelerated graphics after installing 10.5.3, but if not you could try some of the kext files people have posted throughout this thread. Some people have also said that sleeping and waking the display/system can improve performance, so it may be a good idea to install the sleepdisplayscript application found in the gmax3100 folder above. Installation is the same, except you don't need to use automatic login.

Now, to get your battery meter partially working (it will only tell you percent charge left) in kalyway follow all of the steps below. The battery meter should work out of the box on iATKOS. Download the attached zip file, named powermanagement.bundle.zip. Now unzip it. From the root of your leopard install partition, open the folder system, then library, then systemconfiguration. Drag the file powermanagement.bundle onto the trash icon in the dock. Now drag the powermanagement.bundle you unzipped earlier into the systemconfiguration folder. Now open terminal, and type "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" then enter, then enter your root password, then press enter. Once this process is complete, reboot your system. To set your system to show the icon all the time, go to energy saver in the system preferences app, and click options, then select "show battery status in menu bar".

Now it is time to get your sound card (sigmatel 9205) working. Download the attached zip archive, named sound_files.zip, and unzip it. Now, unzip the file applehdapatcherv1.20.app.zip. This is Taruga's applehdapatcher version 1.2. Now drag the text file codec_dump1.txt onto the frog icon. Once the application opens, enter your password, press enter, and it will begin patching your system. When it is finished, reboot your system. Now, unzip the file applehda.kext.zip. Open kexthelper, and drag the applehda.kext file onto the whitespace in the application. Enter your root password, and click easy install. When the install finishes, reboot your system, and your sound should be almost fully working! (Line-In, internal speakers, headphones, and automatic muting of speakers when headphones are plugged in all works, but muting with the mute button does not work). The kext was originally made by paulo-131, but I made a small modification to it so that it would work with my D630. D830 users may have other options, go here for the thread containing more information.

Next, you can get your PCMCIA card slot working. This is fairly simple to do. Download the attached zip archive named Chun-Nan_PCMCIA_Rev_8.zip. Unzip that, open the folder that was unzipped, and there should be two kexts inside. Once again, open kext helper, and drag these two kexts into the white space. Type in your root password, and click easy install. Reboot when it tells you too. Now, open terminal, and type "sudo dmesg | grep PC", press enter, enter your root password, and press enter. Your output should say something about your PCI configuration changing, and should also display "O2Micro OZ711EZ1" somewhere. These kexts were made by Chun-Nan, and EqUaTe told me where to find them.

Now, there are some finishing touches you can make to the OS now, but you are almost finished. If you used Kalyway, you should install the kalyway virginizer, to uninstall all of the weird mods that kalyway made to the system, such as extra applications and the dock. You need to do this after installing everything, because it will remove the kext helper. Go here for the virginizer, and instructions on how to install it: Kalyway Virginizer. If you installed iATKOS, go here for the virginizer.

Although there are still some problems with your system, this is the closest you can currently get to a perfect system. Here is what should currently working:

1. Both cores of your proccessor
  2. Internal Speakers
  3. Headphones
  4. Line-In (Microphone)
  5. Hardware Accelerated Graphics (with any resolution)
  6. Sleep
  7. Wireless Internet (If you have the Dell Wireless 1390, 1490, or 1500)
  8. Touchpad and Keyboard
  9. Correct recognition of all hardware in System Profiler (Except system model, Boot rom, and serial #)
  10. PCMCIA Card Slot
  11. CD/DVD Burning
  12. High speed hard drive access (w/ AHCI)

And here is what isn't working, or is not functioning perfectly:

1. Ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755m Gigabit Ethernet)
  2. Internal Microphone
  3. Correct measurement of CPU temperature and CPU fan RPM speed
  4. Battery Meter (Displays percent, but not time)
  5. System Shutdown/Reboot (AppleHDAPatcher causes this for GMAx3100 users, and graphics drivers cause it for NVIDIA users.)

Lastly, anyone who knows how to get ethernet working, or get anything else here that is currently only partially working fully working, please post it here. Also, tell me if these instructions work for you or not. After all that work, I hope you have fun with your new Hackintosh Installation ;)

If you have already followed this guide and now want to upgrade to 10.5.3, start from the fifth paragraph of the guide and follow all the following instructions again. If you now want to upgrade to 10.5.4 (from 10.5.3) all you need to do is install the update through software update.

For people having trouble downloading the files at the end of this post, here is a link to a zip file containing all four of the zip files at the end of the post: http://rapidshare.com/files/126723792/Dell...rivers.zip.html

One last thing, I discovered that PC-EFI causes no problems for booting 32 bit windows XP, contrary to what some people have said on this site. I currently am using the darwin bootloader to dual boot, and I have EFI installed also. The easiest way of dual booting (in my opinion) is to install windows xp, then install os x, and use the darwin bootloader to boot windows.

PowerManagement.bundle.zip

Sound_Files.zip

Chun_Nan_PCMCIA_Rev_8.zip

Sleep_Fix.zip

Sleep_Display_Script_Source.zip

Thank you for putting this together. I'd previously managed to get the ToH 10.5 installed on my D830, but couldn't upgrade to 10.5.1 and only had one core. One question... by following this method, will I still be able to boot to my XP partition? I understand EFI has problems with the 32 bit version of XP.

Thanks again.

Thank you for putting this together. I'd previously managed to get the ToH 10.5 installed on my D830, but couldn't upgrade to 10.5.1 and only had one core. One question... by following this method, will I still be able to boot to my XP partition? I understand EFI has problems with the 32 bit version of XP.

Thanks again.

I am not sure if you can still dual boot, because currently I am not dual booting. XP also has some problems with AHCI, so setting your bios to AHCI could make your XP installation unbootable. The reason you only had one core enabled is because your hard drive is set to ATA in the bios, instead of AHCI. With AHCI, you can use both cores.

Another bootloader option is chain0, because if you use chain0 for selecting an operating system rather than PC-EFI, your XP installation would probably work fine. If you install chain0 and PC-EFI, everything should function correctly, but I have never tested this. Also, you don't actually need to use PC-EFI, but it is a good idea to use it so that you can get updates from apple. There are many guides here on how to use Chain0, so I won't explain that here.

I did figure out how to get AHCI running under XP, but the current installation I have under ToH still reports a single core install. I'm not sure if I'd have to install OS X from scratch to get it to recognize both cores with ToH. It was my understanding that you'd only get one core with ToH no matter what.

I'm running a D830 instead of a D630, but I can't even get to the installation screen using Kalyway. I was running BIOS A05 and just upgraded to A08 with the same result. Watching the boot, I'm apparently getting a kernel panic when it's trying to load AppleACPIPlatform. I'm not sure why I'm having this problem. I thought the D630 and D830 were identical except for screen size.

Thanks

I did figure out how to get AHCI running under XP, but the current installation I have under ToH still reports a single core install. I'm not sure if I'd have to install OS X from scratch to get it to recognize both cores with ToH. It was my understanding that you'd only get one core with ToH no matter what.

I'm running a D830 instead of a D630, but I can't even get to the installation screen using Kalyway. I was running BIOS A05 and just upgraded to A08 with the same result. Watching the boot, I'm apparently getting a kernel panic when it's trying to load AppleACPIPlatform. I'm not sure why I'm having this problem. I thought the D630 and D830 were identical except for screen size.

Thanks

Did you type vanilla at the boot prompt? Also, I have never used ToH, so I didn't know that.

It works with or without the dash, but Kalyway's readme said to do it without the dash. It is really odd that it does not work. The kalyway installer was a little flakey for me too (but it worked after a few tries). You could try iATKOS, but I don't know what else you could do. What hardware of yours is different from mine? (see signature)

Also, sometimes the installer loaded for me without using vanilla, so you could try that. For vanilla and without vanilla, it may take a few tries.

I didn't set my bios to one core, but it could help you. It may be the nvidia card though, because all the d630 and d830 users with successful installations of os x that I have seen have had the GMAX3100. What you could do though is install PC-EFI on your current ToH install, upgrade your system to 10.5.1 through Apple, and then copy the kexts from the kalyway disc to your extensions folder. Then, if you install the sleep kernel, it should be very close to a real kalyway install. If you install chain0 beforehand, you should easily be able to pull this off. If you decide to do this, and want more detailed instructions, tell me here, and I will write some instructions.

Also, so I can add some information to the guide, were you running your system with fully accelerated graphics? If so, can you tell me what you did to get your graphics fully accelerated? I have seen here that many users have had success in fully accelerating their Nvidia Quadro cards using the installer I talked about in the guide, but I have not tested this myself, because I don't have an Nvidia quadro card.

I've got the correct graphics resolution through nvinjectgo, but it doesn't appear fully accelerated. It says quartz extreme isn't supported, if that helps answer the question. I'm very proficient with hardware and Windows, but I'm pretty much a Mac and Unix novice so I can tell you more if you point me in a direction.

To answer your second question, I'd try the EFI approach if I can figure out how to not screw my XP install. At the moment I've got my D830 successfully dual booting through a combination of modifying the boot.ini and adding a little program called tboot that I found through this board.

This is probably a stupid rookie question, but if I installed EFI and could get the Apple upgrades, would I still have to move files from the Kalyway disk? I thought the Apple upgrades would pretty much take care of everything. It sounds like maybe Apple's upgrades don't affect the kernel and kexts?

I also got panic error when I use Kalyway and I try many time without succeed.

My D630 is with Nvidia quadro card.

I suspect the graphics card.

Anyone succeed in installing ?

I have not yet seen a successful kalyway installation on a laptop with the NVIDIA Quadro card, so this leads me to believe that this is the problem. I'll look into it further, so hang tight...

I've got the correct graphics resolution through nvinjectgo, but it doesn't appear fully accelerated. It says quartz extreme isn't supported, if that helps answer the question. I'm very proficient with hardware and Windows, but I'm pretty much a Mac and Unix novice so I can tell you more if you point me in a direction.

To answer your second question, I'd try the EFI approach if I can figure out how to not screw my XP install. At the moment I've got my D830 successfully dual booting through a combination of modifying the boot.ini and adding a little program called tboot that I found through this board.

This is probably a stupid rookie question, but if I installed EFI and could get the Apple upgrades, would I still have to move files from the Kalyway disk? I thought the Apple upgrades would pretty much take care of everything. It sounds like maybe Apple's upgrades don't affect the kernel and kexts?

If you open system profiler (located in /Applications/Utilities) and under hardware, click Graphics/Displays, it will tell you what your support is. The two most important things here are under Display, and named Core Image and Quartz Extreme. If your graphics card supports Core Image, system profiler should say hardware accelerated next to that. If not, it will say software accelerated. And if your graphics card supports quartz extreme, it will say supported. And if not, it will say not supported.

About the PC-EFI thing, is your bootloader installed in your windows partition? If so, it should be safe to install pc-efi. The reason PC-EFI can't boot windows xp x86 is that it emulates EFI, which is apple's version of BIOS. And because XP x86 only supports BIOS, it cannot boot from EFI. So if you only use PC-EFI to boot os x, there should be no problem. So if you currently boot off of your windows xp partition (which means that your bootloader is installed in Windows XP), you should be ready to go.

The reason you would need to take files from the kalyway disk, or install a new kernel, is to support sleep. If you don't want sleep, you should be fine without doing either of these things. The only problem you may still have is that your second core may not work, so I don't know if you can fix that.

Core image is software, and quartz extreme is not supported.

It sounds like the first thing to do is install PC-EFI, if I can figure out how to do that. Yes, I'm booting from the windows partition. The tboot function is very much like a regular chain0 from what I understand, but tboot added a few more features or something. It's been a little while since I did that, but I could look up the difference if it's important.

I'll fool around a little and see if I can get PC-EFI installed and report back.

Thanks for all your help, Roneil. If there's anything I can do for you, just say the word.

Core image is software, and quartz extreme is not supported.

It sounds like the first thing to do is install PC-EFI, if I can figure out how to do that. Yes, I'm booting from the windows partition. The tboot function is very much like a regular chain0 from what I understand, but tboot added a few more features or something. It's been a little while since I did that, but I could look up the difference if it's important.

I'll fool around a little and see if I can get PC-EFI installed and report back.

Thanks for all your help, Roneil. If there's anything I can do for you, just say the word.

Here is a snippet of another guide, which shows you how to install PC-EFI:

6/ DOWNLOAD AND PREPARE PC EFI V8.0

Download PC_EFI V8.0 (you know where), save it to your Desktop, doubleclick to unpack. Start Terminal, enter these commands.

sudo mkdir /iamefi

sudo cp -r Desktop/pc_efi_v80/* /iamefi/

7/ REBOOT IN SINGLE MODE, INSTALL PC EFI V8.0

Keep pressing F8 during startup, choose your OSX86 startup partition, enter "-s" as startup parameter (single-user mode). System should start in single-user mode, without GUI, text-mode only. Enter these commands.

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v8 (change rdiskXsX to the BSD name of your os x partition)

Here is a link to the guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75406 And here is a link to download PC-EFI 8: http://rs19.rapidshare.com/files/73649771/pc_efi_v80.tar.bz2

To get the BSD name of your os x partition (which you replace rdiskXsX with), go to disk utility, right click your os x partition, click information, and next to disk identifier is your os x partition's BSD name.

I hope this helps!

About to try this, but I have two questions:

1. The disk identifier is disk0s3. Do I type it that way or as rdisk0s3? I've seen a comment about that somewhere.

2. At this point I've downloaded pc-efi and unpacked it to the desktop. Your instructions didn't mention anything about installing from the desktop. Is that what I'm doing with the terminal commands or is there a step missing?

Thanks again.

I'm referring to the kernel panic I'm getting trying to boot into single user mode. I can do it from the install DVD, but not from the installed system. I don't know many Unix commands. Is there a way to boot from the DVD and then follow the rest of the instructions?

About to try this, but I have two questions:

1. The disk identifier is disk0s3. Do I type it that way or as rdisk0s3? I've seen a comment about that somewhere.

2. At this point I've downloaded pc-efi and unpacked it to the desktop. Your instructions didn't mention anything about installing from the desktop. Is that what I'm doing with the terminal commands or is there a step missing?

Thanks again.

You do change it from disk to rdisk. Also, the first set of terminal commands cover the installation from the desktop.

Unbelievable... I can't boot with a -s option. It ends up in a kernel panic. "BSD process name corresponding to current thread:Unknown"

That sucks. I guess your EFI installation isn't happening with ToH. You could try installing the graphics kexts in the installer above, then install PC-EFI, but I doubt that will work. Have you tried Uphuck's iATKOS install disk? More users have reported success when using that rather than Kalyway. Although you will not get support for sleep, you can still get support for all of your hardware.

What's weird is that I can boot from the install DVD with the -s option. I've been trying to figure out how to change to the hard drive volume after I get that far, but no luck yet. I've gotta learn some Unix.

And no, I can't boot with Iatkos either. Same as Kalyway. I think I'm almost there with PC-EFI, just have to change to the hard drive after I get to single user mode from the DVD.

What's weird is that I can boot from the install DVD with the -s option. I've been trying to figure out how to change to the hard drive volume after I get that far, but no luck yet. I've gotta learn some Unix.

And no, I can't boot with Iatkos either. Same as Kalyway. I think I'm almost there with PC-EFI, just have to change to the hard drive after I get to single user mode from the DVD.

Your hard drive's path, while booted on the install disk, is /Volumes/leo_disk (leo_disk should be replaced with the volume name of your hard drive), so whenever a file path starts with a slash, add /Volumes/leo_disk in front of it. The two places you need to do this are /dev/rdiskXsX and /iamefi

i'm getting a kernal panic at install..... i have checked the bios and everything is correct. i'm going to do dual boot. but have created an AF partition disk0s3.... i have two other partitions on this drive.

WinXP NTFS disk0s1

Back-up FAT32 disk0s2

Leopard AF disk0s3

any sugestions on whats wrong????

i'm getting a kernal panic at install..... i have checked the bios and everything is correct. i'm going to do dual boot. but have created an AF partition disk0s3.... i have two other partitions on this drive.

WinXP NTFS disk0s1

Back-up FAT32 disk0s2

Leopard AF disk0s3

any sugestions on whats wrong????

I think you said earlier that you have one of the NVIDIA cards, and another user here Underdog, has also had these same problems. You can't boot verbose with the vanilla kernel on kalyway, but if you have the iATKOS disk, try booting with -v, and note the error it hits that causes the kernel panic. If I know the exact error, I may be able to come up with a solution.

hi roneil,

the only problem for D630 is the internal NIC... is not possible resolve this issue?

or using an other "working perfect" usb adapter?

i was waiting for the original apple usb nic born for the air, but... this is the inly comment on the apple store site:

This product is very misleading. Apple makes it sound like all you need is a usb 2.0 port and you can use this dongle but WRONG! Not until I got the product did I see the package said ONLY FOR MACBOOK AIR. I cannot use it on my regular macbook or even my macpro or any other usb 2.0 enabled mac that I have. This is very frustrating that apple would SHAFT us like this and charge 29.00 for something that only works with the air. I can buy a dlink or many others for 29.00 or less that will work with ANY computer including my mac or a macbook air. DO NOT BUY this product.

from: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...D?revw=MB442Z/A

any solution in your opinion?

bye

theSLug

hi roneil,

the only problem for D630 is the internal NIC... is not possible resolve this issue?

or using an other "working perfect" usb adapter?

i was waiting for the original apple usb nic born for the air, but... this is the inly comment on the apple store site:

from: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...D?revw=MB442Z/A

any solution in your opinion?

bye

theSLug

There is no solution currently for the internal NIC, but you can get a USB dongle if you need the ethernet capability. Many USB dongles work, just search around here to find them. Many report success with realtek chipsets.