Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

ok, i have tried your kext for sound and pcmci card, but still no joy... i have replaces the kext files, and did a repair permission, but nothing, no sound, after the first restart, i got a kernl panic and then on the second restart i could go in... help anyone, please.

Did you follow the instructions in the first post in this thread, just installing the kexts doesn't do it.

@all D630 users:

update your bios to A12 release, hack works same, but contain a new version of video bios, for correct a memory curruption bug in the previous intel bios version.

this bug affect ALL X3100 user, D630 is the first fixed bios! :wallbash:

byebye

theSLug

Thanx, i got the sound to work, as for the WiFi, is there any way i can get the Intel One to work? I know broadcom is still a while off, but it would be nice to have some sort of connectivity... :)

As for the pcmci, no clue, still says no device installed... sigh

:)

@all D630 users:

update your bios to A12 release, hack works same, but contain a new version of video bios, for correct a memory curruption bug in the previous intel bios version.

this bug affect ALL X3100 user, D630 is the first fixed bios! :blink:

byebye

theSLug

Thanks for letting us know! I also highly recommend that everyone does this, because recently (on BIOS A10) I was playing with the GMAx3100 kexts in 10.5.3 (before theSlug found the fix for graphics) trying to get them to work, and somehow they screwed up my lcd display. I had to send the notebook to dell and they replaced the lcd for me. I am guessing that this bios can keep this from happening.

Thanx, i got the sound to work, as for the WiFi, is there any way i can get the Intel One to work? I know broadcom is still a while off, but it would be nice to have some sort of connectivity... :blink:

As for the pcmci, no clue, still says no device installed... sigh

;)

You can check this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84072 for a very beta driver, but I don't think it works yet. I don't have a pcmcia card to test with, so I don't know if the kexts I posted work. Try newer Chun_Nan builds here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry574651

System: dell inspiron d830

graphics: quadro nv140 256mb

distro: iatkos 2.0

I have used 10.5.2 without any serious problems, but whenever i install 10.5.3 or 4 my video driver krashes at startup. It happens with both nvinject and nvkush. NVinjext freezes at loginwindow and I have to start with -s to remove nvinject kext. nvkush crashes just before loginwindow is started but i am able to start with -x (without graphics support) and remove the kext from there.

I have tried several kombinations of myst and kalyway upgrades and both nvinstaller and nvkushinstaller and even installed the kexts by hand. I have also tried to change kernels to several different ones with no change in the result.

Did anyone get the 140 to work in 10.5.3 or 4?

How did you do it?

Are there any methods I should try?

System: dell inspiron d830

graphics: quadro nv140 256mb

distro: iatkos 2.0

I have used 10.5.2 without any serious problems, but whenever i install 10.5.3 or 4 my video driver krashes at startup. It happens with both nvinject and nvkush. NVinjext freezes at loginwindow and I have to start with -s to remove nvinject kext. nvkush crashes just before loginwindow is started but i am able to start with -x (without graphics support) and remove the kext from there.

I have tried several kombinations of myst and kalyway upgrades and both nvinstaller and nvkushinstaller and even installed the kexts by hand. I have also tried to change kernels to several different ones with no change in the result.

Did anyone get the 140 to work in 10.5.3 or 4?

How did you do it?

Are there any methods I should try?

I would like to know this too, because I need to add it to the guide. I don't have an nvidia quadro card, so I have no way of testing anything. When someone figures this out, can they post it here? Thanks.

I have exactly the same issue, I have the Dell Precision M4300 which is exactly the same as the D830 but with a different Nvidia Quadro graphics card. No issues at all with 10.5.2 but I can not get any drivers to work just like you with 10.5.3 or 4. There don't seem to be any errors when booting with -v, it runs straight through the nvidia driver initialisation and just stops.

Backing up all NV*.kext and replacing them after upgrade to 10.5.3 works, at least with NVkush. After that upgrade to 10.5.4 works with apple software update.

Ok, thanks! Can anyone else confirm this? Also, has anyone else found an easier way of using this graphics card (preferably with the 10.5.3 kexts)? I just want to make the guide as easy to follow as possible.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the thread. The info here has been the best so far.

I have a dell d630 A12, 2gig Ram, Intel graphics, dell 1490 wireless, 80gig hdd. I have tried installing iatkos 1.0ir2 with efi and vanilla kernel being the only selected options. I have overcome the mbr problem and have managed booting into the os by deleting the gma950 and x3100 kexts as described.

At this point I have working wireless (seen as native airport) and dual core support (thanks to making sure ahci was selected in bios). I would like to get my graphics and sound working and be able to update it to 10.5.4 and this is where my problem comes in. I have grabbed the kexthelper app, the 10.5.4 combo update from apple's site, the files listed in the first posting (all except the gmax3100 kexts - could someone please e-mail me that file? rapidshare is absolutely impossible to use). I follow the instructions with regards to running the script, then installing the update, closing the script, editing the file in "installatfirstrun (or whatever)" and then when I try to install the sleep_fix using the kexthelper then suddenly the terminal doesn't recognise my admin password in order to get root access! I can't find any solutions to this anywhere. If i reboot at this point then it refuses to boot and stops at the grey screen saying i need to switch off. Can someone please help me get to the next level and it would be awesome if you could help me with those files so that I can enjoy some mac goodness too.

Thanks in advance.

hey,

can anyone tell why it's not possible to get the Ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755m Gigabit Ethernet) working?

thx

My best guess is that this exact chipset hasn't ever been included in a real mac computer, so no driver exists for it.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the thread. The info here has been the best so far.

I have a dell d630 A12, 2gig Ram, Intel graphics, dell 1490 wireless, 80gig hdd. I have tried installing iatkos 1.0ir2 with efi and vanilla kernel being the only selected options. I have overcome the mbr problem and have managed booting into the os by deleting the gma950 and x3100 kexts as described.

At this point I have working wireless (seen as native airport) and dual core support (thanks to making sure ahci was selected in bios). I would like to get my graphics and sound working and be able to update it to 10.5.4 and this is where my problem comes in. I have grabbed the kexthelper app, the 10.5.4 combo update from apple's site, the files listed in the first posting (all except the gmax3100 kexts - could someone please e-mail me that file? rapidshare is absolutely impossible to use). I follow the instructions with regards to running the script, then installing the update, closing the script, editing the file in "installatfirstrun (or whatever)" and then when I try to install the sleep_fix using the kexthelper then suddenly the terminal doesn't recognise my admin password in order to get root access! I can't find any solutions to this anywhere. If i reboot at this point then it refuses to boot and stops at the grey screen saying i need to switch off. Can someone please help me get to the next level and it would be awesome if you could help me with those files so that I can enjoy some mac goodness too.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know why this is happening, but your best bet is to install the kexts from the os x install disc. To do this, you need some knowledge of the unix command line. Put the kexts onto a flash drive, then boot up the install disc. From terminal in the utilities menu, copy the two kexts to the Extensions folder (located in /Volumes/yourvolname/System/Library). Then type "diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/yourvolname". This will only work if you have some basic unix command prompt knowledge. Go here to learn about terminal commands: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14496

So, having read the many pages of this and several related topics, it is still not clear to me if anyone has successfully got their D830 (w/ x3100) running from the built-in LCD at the native 1680x1050 resolution (with QE/CE acceleration). I can't even remember how many different reinstalls/hacks/tweaks I've done searching for a combination that gives me something that doesn't either limit me to an external monitor, remote connection, or 1024x768. As I currently only have access to my post-Mysticus* update setup via external monitor or remote connection, I guess I'll be wiping the partition again.

Before I do, I would really like to know if anyone can decipher the x3100 drivers enough to tell if the ones we're working can play with the 1680x1050 LCD. I ask because it's one of the only things I can think of that distinguishes the d630 setup from the d830.

Anyone?

If so, please tell me/us what your process was, because neither this guide or subsequent posts give a working plan for a d830/x3100 setup- unless by "work" you mean, "tethered to a desk" or "stuck with a screen resolution worse than my Win98 PC almost 10 years ago" :-)

D830 nvidia (1920x1200) 10.5.4 as good as it gets.

Working:

CPU: Throttling or sleep, not both (no kernel supports both yet as far as i know.

Graphics: works with NV* kexts from 10.5.2. NVKush supports more than one monitor at once, but not in mirror mode. NVinject doesnt detect anything on VGA. NVKush delays wake from sleep 1-2 seconds.

Sound: All but internal microphone and mute button works. If you have problems install from dellpackage (link above in this thread), it seams to fix what I sometimes screw up with the kexts.

Mouse: both touchpad and stick works well, scrolling seams doable but i never bothered to calibrate it since i dont ever use the pad. Remember to apply PS-2 keyboard - trackpad patch when updating to 10.5.3 or your mouse and keyboard will freeze

Bluetooth: Works, but has to be switched on when booting or it wont be detectet when you turn the switch.

WiFi: 1490 detected as airport, no issues.

pcmcia: yes

USB: yes

Firewire: yes

Battery meeter

Not working:

Internal nic: Not yet

Internal Microphone

Mute button

Mirror display

Battery time with two batteries, percentage works though and both show up.

Shutdown broken with nvidia, remember to hold power button after screen goes black or your battery will drain.

Not tested

Expresscard

smart card

Procedure

Install IATKOS 2.0i BS, choose netkas smb kext. Intel ahci, do not choose speedstep unless you will use it (then don't pick any kernel). Most kernels work. Dont opt EFI out. No need for nvinject yet. NVidia update in iatkos is ok .

Boot: Backup NV* kexts. Use 1.4b combo update (above in this thread) to go to 10.5.3. Remember the keyboard - touchpad option. Reboot.

Now upgrade to 10.5.4 with software update.

Install a speedstep or sleep kernel. I use http://rapidshare.com/files/115617132/usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip as it installs the right system.kext as well (fixes usb devices not mounting problem). 9.2.2 vanilla kernel works well for me.

Restore backed up NV*.kext. Install NVKush or NVinject.

Use dellpackage to get sound and pcmcia to work. Follow instructions in first post in this thread to get battery meeter up and running.

Reboot, than install your favourite apps.

Conclution:

I have been using OSX on this machine for quite sometime now. It is very stable and I use it as a GIS/Graphics/Layout production environment. I trust it a more than I trusted linux when I used it (not to mention windows). Before going to 10.5.3 i have always followed procedures posted by others to get everything up. Now, when figuring out how to get it up myself it has been about 7h work. The installation in itself is about 1h with some post install config. This is definitly worth getting a osx machine with a useable pointing device and 1920x1200 resolution on 15.4" if you are into graphics mapping in the field. Not to mention the machine is only 1/3 of the price of a macbook pro with 17" screen. I say: Go for this one if you have similar preferences as I have, but don't forget to pay for OSX. Apple deserves a share of What you save by opting for Dell rather than mac hardware.

To Apple:

I'll definitly consider your hardware as soon as I can get big resolutions on small screens and a pointing stick in the middle of my keyboard. I love your OS, it makes my work faster, better and more fun!

OK trying not to panic here.

I saw that the first post was updated to cover 10.5.4 and decided to upgrade from 10.5.3

Followed the instructions carefully (at least I think I did) had the terminal window open running the loop then started the install. Half way through the entire screen went shaded with the dreaded press power button and hold down system crash screen..... Everything was unresponsive from that point and had to hard cycle the box.

uppon reboot the system starts to boot then pops up the "you must restart" message again....

Is there *any* way to recover from this?

Dell Latitude D630 A12 bios

intel graphics

320gig hard drive

2 gig mem

i know this is a dell thread, but i have a lenovo t61 laptop with the nvs 140m graphics, and i cant get them to work. i mean i havnt tried, but ive heard that people try and just get a black screen trying nvinject and other various methods. anyone have a clue why?

w00t i got everything working except for the Broadcom Gigabit Network Controller.

I also was able to get the power management (Laptop Battery) to display both Time and Percent. Roneil, i tried your version and as you mentioned it doesn't calculate the time properly. The package i have included in this post works perfectly, reboot after installation of package.

My Dell Latitude D630 with BIOS version A12

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - Working (with both cores and proper recognition by the os out of the box)

2 GB RAM - Working (read correctly in system profiler out of the box)

Intel GMA X3100 Graphics Card - Working (full QE/CI) w/ Errandwolfe's sleep/wake trick

120 GB Hard Drive - Working at full speed with AHCI out of the box

Dell Wireless 1390 Card (Broadcom 4311 Chipset based) - Working fully out of the box

Broadcom NetXtreme 5755M Gigabit Ethernet - Not Working

Sigmatel 9205 Sound Card - Working (Fully Working except for Mic (Mute button works) Using AppleHDA that was included in the

Patcher at beginning of thread. When i used the patcher itself, My sound didn't work at all)

ALPS Touchpad and Pointing Stick - Working (except for scrolling)

Sleep - Working (using kexts from Tommy143)

Battery Meter - Working Fully

PowerManagement_bundle_powermanagement.pkg.zip

My best guess is that this exact chipset hasn't ever been included in a real mac computer, so no driver exists for it.

I don't know why this is happening, but your best bet is to install the kexts from the os x install disc. To do this, you need some knowledge of the unix command line. Put the kexts onto a flash drive, then boot up the install disc. From terminal in the utilities menu, copy the two kexts to the Extensions folder (located in /Volumes/yourvolname/System/Library). Then type "diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/yourvolname". This will only work if you have some basic unix command prompt knowledge. Go here to learn about terminal commands: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14496

Thanks for that link and the extra reading material. I am quite happy to say I have managed to update directly from 10.5.1 to 10.5.4 on my machine. It wasn't as easy in my case as your guide mentioned but I'll detail it here in case you want to add it to your guide and for those having similar strange problems.

Firstly, reading through those unix commands, I noticed that there's a difference between the normal user and the super user password. I then tried using "su" in the terminal to log into root but it wouldn't allow me the access with the password that was created during the initial setup. Using the guide I found that you can change the root password in the terminal using "sudo passwd root" which i then did and set the password there. After that I could log into "su". After that I ran that initial script you mention in the beginning of the guide that we need to run just before installing the update while still in super user mode (normal mode doesn't work, doesn't have enough access). I installed the update, pressed "ctrl-z" in the terminal to kill the process after the update was installed, edited the script that you mentioned where I added the "dsmos.kext" (i did this by browsing to it in finder and whenever i got to a folder i couldn't access i right clicked, "get info", scrolled to the bottom, clicked on the lock for access, gave everyone read and write access to the folder). after that i tried using the kexthelper but i was still plagued with it saying it didn't have the right password to log into "su" (you can watch it if you click on "advanced"). So with my previous terminal still open and still logged into "su", I just copy-pasted the script from the right hand pane into the terminal and away it went, :( . Be sure to have dragged those two sleep_fix files into kexthelper first so that the script has the info it needs with regard to their file paths.

I then did the deletion of the intel kexts as mentioned and "diskutil repairPermissions /" and rebooted. Firstly i tried booting normally and i got stuck with the grey screen, spinning logo and eventually a little circle-cross symbol stating something was wrong basically. I then booted trying with the "-s" flag and i saw errors with regards to the ahci (strange). Went back to my bios, changed ahci back to ata and all was well.

I hope this helps anyone because I know how long I've been struggling with this.

Now can someone please please please please tell me where I can find those intel graphic kexts cause rapidshare is just a never ending loop of frustration.

I'll be heading back to trying to get my sound working as well as taking a look to see if changing back to ahci now will give problems and getting my baby to dual boot.

P.S, I think us d630 and d830 users are working up a nice little thread with all the info we need. Rock on :)

P.P.S again... please can i get those intel kexts somewhere

So I am guessing that since I did not run the script in super user mode that is why the update failed halfway through?

Is there any way to recover at this point? Every time I try to boot it locks up at the "you must restart" screen. (Reminds me of a blue screen of death from the windows world)...

So I am guessing that since I did not run the script in super user mode that is why the update failed halfway through?

Is there any way to recover at this point? Every time I try to boot it locks up at the "you must restart" screen. (Reminds me of a blue screen of death from the windows world)...

I would guess so. I never had a problem with the installation of the patch but it seems like it could pose a problem. In this game we're playing I don't get too attached to the installation until I'm getting pretty good at reinstalling the whole thing and getting it working. I'd say just reinstall.

Btw... my mute button is working with those files from the first part of the guide.

So I am guessing that since I did not run the script in super user mode that is why the update failed halfway through?Is there any way to recover at this point? Every time I try to boot it locks up at the "you must restart" screen. (Reminds me of a blue screen of death from the windows world)...
You can reinstall on top of your old installation. Just install on the same partition without changing anything, and then you can reboot to a fresh install that still has all your apps on it. One thing you need to do after you install is boot the dvd again and change the root password, because it has been reset.
So, having read the many pages of this and several related topics, it is still not clear to me if anyone has successfully got their D830 (w/ x3100) running from the built-in LCD at the native 1680x1050 resolution (with QE/CE acceleration). I can't even remember how many different reinstalls/hacks/tweaks I've done searching for a combination that gives me something that doesn't either limit me to an external monitor, remote connection, or 1024x768. As I currently only have access to my post-Mysticus* update setup via external monitor or remote connection, I guess I'll be wiping the partition again.Before I do, I would really like to know if anyone can decipher the x3100 drivers enough to tell if the ones we're working can play with the 1680x1050 LCD. I ask because it's one of the only things I can think of that distinguishes the d630 setup from the d830.Anyone?If so, please tell me/us what your process was, because neither this guide or subsequent posts give a working plan for a d830/x3100 setup- unless by "work" you mean, "tethered to a desk" or "stuck with a screen resolution worse than my Win98 PC almost 10 years ago" :-)
I don't really know how you could get it accelerated, I have no way of testing it. Apples drivers may not support a screen that size, so it may just ignore it. Hopefully someone else with your set up will come in here and tell you what they did. You can force a resolution another way on your internal screen, but it will not be hardware accelerated.
Working:Graphics: works with NV* kexts from 10.5.2. NVKush supports more than one monitor at once, but not in mirror mode. NVinject doesnt detect anything on VGA. NVKush delays wake from sleep 1-2 seconds.Not working:Internal MicrophoneProcedureInstall IATKOS 2.0i BS, choose netkas smb kext. Intel ahci, do not choose speedstep unless you will use it (then don't pick any kernel). Most kernels work. Dont opt EFI out. No need for nvinject yet. NVidia update in iatkos is ok .Boot: Backup NV* kexts. Use 1.4b combo update (above in this thread) to go to 10.5.3. Remember the keyboard - touchpad option. Reboot.Now upgrade to 10.5.4 with software update.Install a speedstep or sleep kernel. Sleep from kalyway 10.5.2 kernels package works well.Restore backed up NV*.kext. Install NVKush or NVinject.
I truncated your post a little for this quote, but I wanted to comment on a few things. Thanks for posting the nvidia info, because I can post that in the first post of this thread. Also, oddly, I didn't even know that the D630 had an internal mic. Does anyone know where it is?
w00t i got everything working except for the Broadcom Gigabit Network Controller.I also was able to get the power management (Laptop Battery) to display both Time and Percent. Roneil, i tried your version and as you mentioned it doesn't calculate the time properly. The package i have included in this post works perfectly, reboot after installation of package.My Dell Latitude D630 with BIOS version A122.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - Working (with both cores and proper recognition by the os out of the box)2 GB RAM - Working (read correctly in system profiler out of the box)Intel GMA X3100 Graphics Card - Working (full QE/CI) w/ Errandwolfe's sleep/wake trick 120 GB Hard Drive - Working at full speed with AHCI out of the boxDell Wireless 1390 Card (Broadcom 4311 Chipset based) - Working fully out of the boxBroadcom NetXtreme 5755M Gigabit Ethernet - Not WorkingSigmatel 9205 Sound Card - Working (Fully Working except for Mic (Mute button works) Using AppleHDA that was included in the Patcher at beginning of thread. When i used the patcher itself, My sound didn't work at all)ALPS Touchpad and Pointing Stick - Working (except for scrolling)Sleep - Working (using kexts from Tommy143)Battery Meter - Working Fully
I'll test the battery meter package once I get the chance. Great find! Also, did you test the mute button? Because at first it looks like it works, but if you try it while playing music or something nothing happens.
Thanks for that link and the extra reading material. I am quite happy to say I have managed to update directly from 10.5.1 to 10.5.4 on my machine. It wasn't as easy in my case as your guide mentioned but I'll detail it here in case you want to add it to your guide and for those having similar strange problems.Firstly, reading through those unix commands, I noticed that there's a difference between the normal user and the super user password. I then tried using "su" in the terminal to log into root but it wouldn't allow me the access with the password that was created during the initial setup. Using the guide I found that you can change the root password in the terminal using "sudo passwd root" which i then did and set the password there. After that I could log into "su". After that I ran that initial script you mention in the beginning of the guide that we need to run just before installing the update while still in super user mode (normal mode doesn't work, doesn't have enough access). I installed the update, pressed "ctrl-z" in the terminal to kill the process after the update was installed, edited the script that you mentioned where I added the "dsmos.kext" (i did this by browsing to it in finder and whenever i got to a folder i couldn't access i right clicked, "get info", scrolled to the bottom, clicked on the lock for access, gave everyone read and write access to the folder). after that i tried using the kexthelper but i was still plagued with it saying it didn't have the right password to log into "su" (you can watch it if you click on "advanced"). So with my previous terminal still open and still logged into "su", I just copy-pasted the script from the right hand pane into the terminal and away it went, :thumbsup_anim: . Be sure to have dragged those two sleep_fix files into kexthelper first so that the script has the info it needs with regard to their file paths.I then did the deletion of the intel kexts as mentioned and "diskutil repairPermissions /" and rebooted. Firstly i tried booting normally and i got stuck with the grey screen, spinning logo and eventually a little circle-cross symbol stating something was wrong basically. I then booted trying with the "-s" flag and i saw errors with regards to the ahci (strange). Went back to my bios, changed ahci back to ata and all was well.I hope this helps anyone because I know how long I've been struggling with this.Now can someone please please please please tell me where I can find those intel graphic kexts cause rapidshare is just a never ending loop of frustration.I'll be heading back to trying to get my sound working as well as taking a look to see if changing back to ahci now will give problems and getting my baby to dual boot.P.S, I think us d630 and d830 users are working up a nice little thread with all the info we need. Rock on :)P.P.S again... please can i get those intel kexts somewhere
I think I left some important info out in the first post (like enabling the root user) so I'll add that soon. I can probably e-mail them too you, just pm me your email.
I would guess so. I never had a problem with the installation of the patch but it seems like it could pose a problem. In this game we're playing I don't get too attached to the installation until I'm getting pretty good at reinstalling the whole thing and getting it working. I'd say just reinstall.Btw... my mute button is working with those files from the first part of the guide.
Do you have a d630 or d830? Thats two people in a row saying that mute works. Did you do anything differently from the instructions in the guide?

Sound recorder in windoze records stuff without external microphone and there is a little hole in front of the keyboard an inch left of the right hinge.

A few things I forgot

The key to the right of the left shift key (‹ › and | on a swedish one, | and \ on a uk one) isn't recognized at all. Not even when selecting a layout with it present and watching the keycodes in ukelele. I have no idea why this is so or how to fix it, there are other ways of getting the characters whith one stroke so I never bothered too much.

The light sensor doesn't do anything with brightness even thought it's turned on in bios.

/roos